• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Lunar15

Also, just so we're on the same page, I think you can have a 10/10 review that is NOT full of hubris. I just don't like the hubris, good or bad. As long as you articulate what you thought was good/bad in a grounded, un-superfluous way, I'm usually pretty okay with a review.

Reviews are a dialogue on the merits of a game. Reviwers are not almighty gatekeepers of taste and culture. I don't need a novel about how long this took to make, or how it bridges the line between cinema and gaming. If you are going to spend a lot of time talking about that, it better be damn well justified in the product. I think there's a place for that (they're called editorials and they're usually done a little while after release), but not in a review.

antitrop

lol.

Wasn't one of the GTA games declared as having an "Oscar-worthy" script and given countless 10/10's?

By Hilary Goldstein:

Oh sure, you'll still blow up cop cars, run down innocent civilians, bang hookers, assist drug dealers and lowlifes and do many, many other bad deeds, but at a cost to main character Niko Bellic's very soul. GTA IV gives us characters and a world with a level of depth previously unseen in gaming and elevates its story from a mere shoot-em-up to an Oscar-caliber drama. Every facet of Rockstar's new masterpiece is worthy of applause. Without question, Grand Theft Auto IV is the best game since Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

10/10
http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/04/29/grand-theft-auto-iv-special-edition-review

B33

Banned
Ancillary doesn't mean what you think it means. Perhaps noncompulsory?

Ancillary: subordinate; subsidiary; auxiliary; assisting; secondary in importance.

I suppose it's a bit of a reach. Maybe "neglible" would be better suited? I guess noncompulsory works.

I think we're putting too much thought into a faux IGN review.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So is there a way to get the OST if I'm buying the game digitally? I really want to give you more money Irrational and you're not letting me.

Edit:
Out of 5 I assume. Was 4/5 seen as too low?
Yep. You know how some people will accuse the reviewer for being moneyhatted if they feel the score is too high? Well they can also be accused of purposefully giving a game a low score to get more site hits.

antitrop

God I hope IGN gives it a 9.9 like GTA: SA and Jade Empire.

I think IGN's review of Jade Empire significantly impacted my perception of playing that game to the extreme negative.

I was filled with almost nothing but pure disdain as I played through it, even though it was a very good game. I just had contempt that IGN could even consider giving out such a ridiculous score to that game.

I felt like they were trying to prove that BioWare could top KOTOR, even though they never have. In before Derrick.

Andrew.

Banned
I think IGN's review of Jade Empire significantly impacted my perception of playing that game to the extreme negative.

I was filled with almost nothing but pure disdain as I played through it, even though it was a very good game. I just had contempt that IGN could even consider giving out such a ridiculous score to that game.

I felt like they were trying to prove that BioWare could top KOTOR, even though they never have.

Jade Empire was my first taste of IGN extreme hyperbole. What a shit game.

Thousand Cutted my way the entire. fucking. time to one of the sludgiest, most uninteresting stories I have ever experienced.

Ill never get that time back either and 2004 was such a great year.

Toa TAK

Banned
I just learned of the Midnight Launch party here in LA at Universal. Luckily, I work there so I can just walk on over after work.

So pumped! Just have to reserve my copy there later today.

B33

Banned
Assigning a quantitative value (the review score) to qualitative things (parts of the game) seems arbitrary.

Also, how can you delineate a 8.2 from an 8.0 game? Isn't the difference nominal? Why not just round it to the closest whole number?

And don't say, "Because it's IGN."

Lunar15

I don't think hubris is the right word for what IGN does...

Yeah, I'm realizing that hubris isn't the right word. Hyperbole makes a little more sense. Although I think they do take pride that these are "early" reviews and they're "delivering" this review to the masses who don't have this "masterpiece" yet.

Unless you're just insinuating something mean spirited towards IGN, which I totally understand. XD

Assigning a quantitative value (the review score) to qualitative things (parts of the game) seems arbitrary.

Also, how can you delineate a 8.2 from an 8.0 game? Isn't the difference nominal? Why not just round it to the closest whole number?

And don't say, "Because it's IGN."

IGN locked themselves to only .0s and .5s for a while, but apparently they gave up on that.

B33

Banned
For console versions, does the game run at a solid 30fps? Or do we not know yet?

The PS3 version gives players the option of toggling vsync.

valentine71 stated that the framerate dipped a bit on the PS3 when he encountered "many" enemies on screen. He seemed fairly happy with its performance and said it was better than the first BioShock on the same platform in terms of performance.

Andrew.

Banned

valentine71 stated that the framerate dipped a bit on the PS3 when he encountered "many" enemies on screen. He seemed fairly happy with its performance and said it was better than the first BioShock on the same platform in terms of performance.

But he also didnt prove he had it, in which I take everything he said as possible bullshit.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
But he also didnt prove he had it, in which I take everything he said as possible bullshit.

I don't know why someone would lie about having a game and then describe specific elements of it for attention.

I do know why someone would lie about how they got said game. His lack of proof only makes me think he pirated it, not that he never played it to begin with.

new 3-page article, i haven't read it so be warned could be spoilers in it.

New York Times - The Nerd as Auteur in BioShock Infinite

I'm amazed by the cost associated with this game--over $200M between development and marketing. They have to be shooting for Call of Duty sales figures to recoup that investment. I don't know if BioShock Infinite has the same broad appeal as CoD, but it would be amazing if it sold as well. I'd love for such an ambitious game to get such exposure; it's that kind of success that would get publishers to invest in similar works.

All this hubris talk is purely ancillary.

He's embiggened this thread with such cromulent usage.

Dylan

I don't know why someone would lie about having a game and then describe specific elements of it for attention.

I do know why someone would lie about how they got said game. His lack of proof only makes me think he pirated it, not that he never played it to begin with.

When I was a kid my friend told me that his parents bought him the new Megaman game that had Bowser in it but he couldn't play it because they had locked it up in the attic. He told me if I went into the woods to light things on fire with him he'd let me sneak up there with him to see it. I didn't take the offer. I think that guy's in jail now.

Andrew.

Banned
I don't know why someone would lie about having a game and then describe specific elements of it for attention..

Well for me, everything he described was vague and had already been spoken of in interviews and previews. There was nothing new or fresh in what he was describing which would give off an impression that he actually had a copy. Being abrasive when politely asked to see even just the disc simply made things worse.

Aint got time for that Mickey Mouse bullshit.

B33

Banned
All right guys, you win. It was an archaic definition for "Ancillary." A better word could have been chosen.

I get it.

DSmalls84

Glad I didn't check the thread that day. I have been wondering what the story in this game is going to be for weeks now, and don't want the ending spoiled days before. Hopefully whatever was said is false and those who were affected still enjoy the game.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Question: Should I turn VSync on PS3?

B33

Banned
He didn't prove it. He's got a limited time window in which to email us proof if he wants to be unbanned. Otherwise he'll be out for a while.
Got it.

So remain skeptical of his observations unless he is able to prove it.

Top Bottom