• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I also personally wanted to see more instances of using fire to melt ice or telekinesis to get past obstacles.

I actually dislike that, because it forces you to backtrack to the nearest gene bank. Unless you just keep the utility on your person at all times which is too constricting.

Ya, I always thought that part at the beginning where you get to electrocute the splicer standing in the water was extremely gimmicky.

It gave you the impression that the combat was going to be very deep, with lots of neat environmental choices like that. That really wasn't the case.

Yeah. There was like... one part of the game with some oil for fire hijinks. And a few pools of water.

Andrew.

Banned
Ya, I always thought that part at the beginning where you get to electrocute the splicer standing in the water was extremely gimmicky.

It gave you the impression that the combat was going to be very deep, with lots of neat environmental choices like that. That really wasn't the case.

The deepest that combat got for me was the end battle. I actually ended up using a combo of Security Bulleye, Incinerate, Heat seeking rockets and the chemical thrower.

This was on Survivalist with zero Vitas though.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
This is pretty vital to it playing well for me. The one two punch in bioshock 1 was absurdly good. I also personally wanted to see more instances of using fire to melt ice or telekinesis to get past obstacles.

I remember having to utilize a lot of the different plasmid combinations when I went for the brass balls achievement in 1.

You didn't really want to get too close to Big Daddies with a wrench, that's for sure!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I actually dislike that, because it forces you to backtrack to the nearest gene bank. Unless you just keep the utility on your person at all times which is too constricting.

Yeah. There was like... one part of the game with some oil for fire hijinks. And a few pools of water.

Oh yeah, it ultimately wouldn't have worked due to how they had the plasmids set up. I actually remember pre-empting that potential scenario by always having incinerate in a slot after the ice room you have to melt...even though I never used it.

Ridley327

We didn't get our copies of the game in today, but we did get the strategy guide, so be wary of spoilers on the rest of the internet.

That being said, Bioshock Infinite does something that more games really should do, in that it rewards you with in-game stuff for getting certain achievements/trophies, which looked like they were all Vigors.

Andrew.

Banned
We didn't get our copies of the game in today, but we did get the strategy guide, so be wary of spoilers on the rest of the internet.

That being said, Bioshock Infinite does something that more games really should do, in that it rewards you with
in-game stuff for getting certain achievements/trophies, which looked like they were all Vigors.

Youre in the danger zone here, Kenny Loggins. Fixed that for you.

Amir0x

Banned
oh boy oh boy my new graphics card makes games run so buttery smooth again my old card was starting to fall behind the times!

Bioshock Infinite: Here I come, bitch!

DSmalls84

Didn't realize so many console games had texture packs. Do they really make much of a difference? I wouldn't think it would be much of an upgrade since they don't have as much vram to work with. Or is it more of a case of not being able to fit them all on disc? I thought bf3 was because of disc space limits.

Toparaman

Banned
I can tell from the recent videos is that combat is definitely way, way, waaaay more robust than Bioshock 1.

The way you describe the progression through the first Bioshock sounds pretty typical of most adventure games to me.

I guess I wasn't descriptive enough. What I meant is that the game constantly "fakes" you out. You think you're about to progress the narrative, but then there's a detour, and when it happens several times in a row, that's frustrating.

Con_Smith

Banned
Paid off my pre order and checked to see if the gamestop would do a midnight launch. Kinda bummed they are't since I took two days off to get started on the game. Picked up witcher 2 to tie me over until release though so the visit wasn't a total wash I guess.

iavi

Please tell me there are no confirmed spoilers out there. Reading through the comments section of an RPS entry on the fucking Sonic Generations mod, someone decided to post some completely unrelated mess on Infinte.

antitrop

Paid off my pre order and checked to see if the gamestop would do a midnight launch. Kinda bummed they are't since I took two days off to get started on the game. Picked up witcher 2 to tie me over until release though so the visit wasn't a total wash I guess.
A 30-hour+ RPG may have been a bit much to hold you over for a few days, but at least you picked one the best.

Toparaman

Banned
Wouldn't it be funny if IGN decided to give Infinite less than a 9.0, just to "prove" to their critics that they aren't a bunch of shills?

Anyway, my personal score prediction is a 9.5.

And I predict the actual review will be something along these lines:
"Infinite has taken the lofty expectations and blown them out of the water."
"Elizabeth will make you laugh and cry. For the first time, I was truly connecting to an AI companion."
"Infinite is a landmark achievement, a towering masterpiece."
"As the ending credits rolled, I was sweating and shaking. The game was over, but the controller was glued to my hands."

Oh, dissecting this review is gonna be so much fun. I can't wait.

Muffdraul

I guess I wasn't descriptive enough. What I meant is that the game constantly "fakes" you out. You think you're about to progress the narrative, but then there's a detour, and when it happens several times in a row, that's frustrating.

Yeah, I think I'm kind of immune to that to be honest. e.g. I remember a lot of people bitching about how in Dead Space 1, you're constantly being ordered to go here, do this, do that... It didn't bother me at all. Every adventure game boils down to a series of tasks and goals you have to complete to get to the end, whether it's Zelda or Resident Evil or whatever. It's always about earning a new item or ability that allows you to go a little further towards the ultimate goal, and then hitting a roadblock of some kind that forces you to go do whatever you have to do to earn the item or ability to get past it. Rinse and repeat.

WatTsu

Please tell me there are no confirmed spoilers out there. Reading through the comments section of an RPS entry on the fucking Sonic Generations mod, someone decided to post some completely unrelated mess on Infinte.

Same here, except it happened in Kotaku's comics post, which I like to read because I like comics.

I am going to be quite put out if that's the case.

Edit: And before anyone says "don't read the comments" - I know. It was a lapse of judgment and a mistaken belief that people wouldn't do that.

Andrew.

Banned
oh boy oh boy my new graphics card makes games run so buttery smooth again my old card was starting to fall behind the times!

Bioshock Infinite: Here I come, bitch!

Nothing can prepare you. Nothing.

Time to see what this Industrial Rev puzzle game is all about..

iavi

Same here, except it happened in Kotaku's comics post, which I like to read because I like comics.

I am going to be quite put out if that's the case.

Edit: And before anyone says "don't read the comments" - I know. It was a lapse of judgment and a mistaken belief that people wouldn't do that.

I've never seen an attempt at spoiling in a completely unrelated post before. Fake or not, it's internet assery at its finest.

I think there are real spoilers out there since a ps3 copy was leaked :/ That and didn't someone say in this thread that the game guides are now in stores?

Grok4Spock

Went to Gamestop to pickup my PS3 super slim and payoff my Bioshock Infinite preorder. I let the girl behind the counter talk me into buying the season pass to get the free strategy guide. I just hope the DLC is not some horse armor bullshit..

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Has the Premium Edition shipped to anyone?

Went to Gamestop to pickup my PS3 super slim and payoff my Bioshock Infinite preorder. I let the girl behind the counter talk me into buying the season pass to get the free strategy guide. I just hope the DLC is not some horse armor bullshit..

It's actually going to be story DLC! But that it's independent from the game. So no worries.

I actually prefer this to MP. Take Two has a strict policy of games either have DLC, MP or both. I actually take DLC first that MP.

Toparaman

Banned
Yeah, I'll never understand the mindset of people who do stuff like that.

To be fair, if your enjoyment of something completely boils down to plot twists, it's probably not that good in the first place, and not worth your time. Then again, plot twists are fun because of the surprise factor. I'm just saying I don't think people should be super-pissed when something gets spoiled for them.

Grok4Spock

Has the Premium Edition shipped to anyone?

It's actually going to be story DLC! But that it's independent from the game. So no worries.

I actually prefer this to MP. Take Two has a strict policy of games either have DLC, MP or both. I actually take DLC first that MP.
Yeah, I'm glad Irrational didn't sacrifice an amazing single player experience to shoehorn in a multiplayer mode..

WatTsu

To be fair, if your enjoyment of something completely boils down to plot twists, it's probably not that good in the first place, and not worth your time. Then again, plot twists are fun because of the surprise factor. I'm just saying I don't think people should be super-pissed when something gets spoiled for them.

I agree with you to a point. Yes, plot twists alone don't make something good. But I think if you are paying to read a book, watch a movie, or play a game, you have a reasonable expectation to enjoy it on its own terms and without prior knowledge of the events in the story, at least before it is officially released. Particularly in a game like this.

I mean, you want to spoil some endings in Soul Calibur or something? Probably not that big a deal. But when the game is built around the story and the narrative, ruining any element of that for anyone who might be interested is pretty low.

Muffdraul

I don't really get too upset about being maliciously spoiled anymore. Enjoying the exposition of a plot twist is actually one of the most transitory moments in the world, it literally lasts just a few seconds. I've had plenty of plot twists spoiled for me in my day, but looking back after the fact, once the entire story has been taken in and experienced and incorporated into my mind, the fact that a plot twist had been spoiled prematurely becomes a footnote... almost completely forgettable.

FACE

Banned
Someone did that on NeoGAF a few days before the book came out. They posted an actual scan from a leaked copy with that bit highlighted, so that your eyes immediately saw it and there could be no question of it being a fake spoiler.

Man, that made me so mad. I'd gone to a lot of effort to avoid any spoilers. :/

I spoiled HP6 to my older brother, but he's a twat so I don't feel bad about it.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Someone did that on NeoGAF a few days before the book came out. They posted an actual scan from a leaked copy with that bit highlighted, so that your eyes immediately saw it and there could be no question of it being a fake spoiler.

Man, that made me so mad. I'd gone to a lot of effort to avoid any spoilers. :/

8AhhtLq.jpg

Top Bottom