• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

El_Chino

Went to Gamestop to pickup my PS3 super slim and payoff my Bioshock Infinite preorder. I let the girl behind the counter talk me into buying the season pass to get the free strategy guide. I just hope the DLC is not some horse armor bullshit..

I did the same thing but I pre-ordered the Limited Edition guide.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
To be fair, if your enjoyment of something completely boils down to plot twists, it's probably not that good in the first place, and not worth your time. Then again, plot twists are fun because of the surprise factor. I'm just saying I don't think people should be super-pissed when something gets spoiled for them.

To be fair, if they put a shitload of effort into storytelling, I want to enjoy speculating about what's going to happen and not have that taken from me by some asshole.

The enjoyment of a mystery story (and Bioshock games are essentially mysteries) doesn't come strictly from the momentary feeling of surprise you get from a twist. It comes from every moment of uncertainty preceding a revelation. Knowing major story beats ruins that aspect of the game, irrevocably.

Could I still enjoy the setting and the gunplay? Sure, but a large chunk of the meaning of the experience would be missing.

Muffdraul

The enjoyment of a mystery story (and Bioshock games are essentially mysteries) doesn't come strictly from the momentary feeling of surprise you get from a twist. It comes from every moment of uncertainty preceding a revelation. Knowing major story beats ruins that aspect of the game, irrevocably.

When I look back at stories that were spoiled for me, I often don't even remember that they'd been spoiled. Whether you get the twist information yourself as you watch the story for the first time or if someone spoils it for you, after the fact, it's all the same. That's basically how my mind works, at least. I know I tend to re-play games and re-watch movies a fuck of a lot more than most people, so that probably has a lot to do with our difference in opinion on this. The first time I play a game is one way of experiencing it, and that can only happen once... obviously. But then after I've re-played that game 10 times (a very conservative estimate for some of my favorites) that first time I played it becomes a dimmer and dimmer memory. Being spoiled prematurely, doubly so.

Artanisix

I just realized I get this game for free with my video card. I wasn't originally planning on ever getting this game but hey, I'M DOWN FOR THIS.

OneLetter

BF6Rrs2CcAAlgnu.jpg

Good ol Chinatown-area Metro bus. Reminds me of the Philly to NYC chinatown bus trips I took back during my college days.

Yerolo

They are really promoting this game hard. Even some of my non-gaming friends know theres a new Bioshock game coming out next week

If only Sony took a leaf out of their book

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
When I look back at stories that were spoiled for me, I often don't even remember that they'd been spoiled. Whether you get the twist information yourself as you watch the story for the first time or if someone spoils it for you, after the fact, it's all the same. That's basically how my mind works, at least. I know I tend to re-play games and re-watch movies a fuck of a lot more than most people, so that probably has a lot to do with our difference in opinion on this. The first time I play a game is one way of experiencing it, and that can only happen once... obviously. But then after I've re-played that game 10 times (a very conservative estimate for some of my favorites) that first time I played it becomes a dimmer and dimmer memory. Being spoiled prematurely, doubly so.

I'm talking about the ongoing experience of playing while not knowing what's going to happen. If the story is deliberately mysterious, then I get a lot of enjoyment out of trying to figure out what is going on before the game/book/movie/whatever tells me. I lose that if I already know.

I get what you're saying; that the majority of your experience with some works comes after the mysteries are all resolved, and that's fair. The first time is the most important to me. It determines whether there will be a second time. At least for games like this, where the mystery is central to the experience. I don't care about most games in this way.

Con_Smith

Banned
A 30-hour+ RPG may have been a bit much to hold you over for a few days, but at least you picked one the best.

I've wanted the game for awhile now after I heard the praise it got as well as learning about the devs and how hyped I am for Cyberpunk. Do far I kinda dig it even though I hit a glitch in the tutorial.

On the subject of spoilers regarding BI I think I got screwed by a screen shot and that one post here on gaf. Luckily I'm the type where the destination and the characters/atmosphere is something that draws me to games and not the end result. As long as I know nothing of where I go and how I get there or who I encounter I'm good.Can't wait to explore Columbia and find out where Shawns been putting his time in on the game.

Andrew.

Banned
This Industrial Revolution game is really pretty damn fun though I doubt Ill reach level 60(?) by midnight Monday.

We'll see though.

El Odio

Banned
I don't know what he's talking about, neither of them do.

Whoops, my bad. For some reason I was dreaming that the 3rd tier unlock on steam was the season pass. Guess greenmangaming it is!

That's what I figured since I don't recall that being listed as a preorder bonus. Oh well, still can't wait. I still got BS2 and the industrial revolution game to tide me over these next few days.

NAPK1NS

How many people have been amped since the reveal trailer?

I feel like my legs have been held since "Project Icarus" came up on the web.

Gise, I can't wait. Too much of my thinking is dominated by this game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just got to 12. Im bouncing between choosing Vox Populi and Founders though.

I played when it first went live. I got stuck around 15 and haven't gone back. I've unlocked everything except for one so far, really easy to get almost everything. I should probably just look up the answers.

Muffdraul

How many people have been amped since the reveal trailer?

I feel like my legs have been held since "Project Icarus" came up on the web.

Gise, I can't wait. Too much of my thinking is dominated by this game.

Me, me, me. And my August 2010 Game Informer looks like it's about 10 years old.

Toparaman

Banned
To be fair, if they put a shitload of effort into storytelling, I want to enjoy speculating about what's going to happen and not have that taken from me by some asshole.

Could I still enjoy the setting and the gunplay? Sure, but a large chunk of the meaning of the experience would be missing.

I suppose when you put it in the context of a mystery, you have a point. But at the same time, I think even a mystery story should be able to recapture that first-time excitement the second or third time around. Good art is supposed to transcend time.

Furthermore, an outlandish plot twist that comes out of nowhere can cheapen a story, even if it initially thrills. MGS4's post-credits is a perfect example: my jaw dropped at first, but it wasn't long before I started to view it as ridiculous.

Not that jerks who yell spoilers at midnight releases care about any of that. They're just teenagers who hate seeing people be enthusiastic about something they're not.

Will there be any unlockable stuffs in the main game by playing that?
Chinaboom Shotgun, lock picks, and some Gear I believe.

Andrew, you'll be able to finish it. Knocked it out in about 2 hours. Worst comes to head, there's the IGN guide if you want the goodies on your first run.

Andrew.

Banned
This is this first major game in a long time that I haven't been spoiled for, it's a pretty exciting feeling.

Yeah...yet. We still have a whole big open window for dickfaces to climb through and shit all over the place.

It is a nice feel though.

And Anti, youre on Steam? Im using PS3. We'll see how this works out. Prob just gotta redeem it via PSN on release day.

Top Bottom