• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

That can be a legitimate complaint. If the game just feels like it's spinning its gears in the middle act and giving you the run around.

It happens in a lot of games, but it's not like, deal-breaking or anything.

Yeah, I can see this happening. It's pretty common in games really.

I also think it sounds like they barely touched 1999 mode, but that's what I expected. It will be interesting to see if there are any difficulty cliffs to surmount! I don't understand why people are saying the talk of 1999 was bullshit. Sounds harder, with less supplies... isn't that exactly what was promised?

Great job Irrational! Game sounds fantastic!

Raxus

The biggest "negative" in that review seems weird

"Padded in the middle" WTF..

Padding can be a problem. See Windwaker and Darksiders. Nothing like an end game fetch quest to artificially extend the length of your game! Until more reviews come in we will have to wait and see if the complaint holds any water.

The only way to not spoil a twist is to not even mention that there's a twist. Now you're gonna be expecting something waaaaaacky to happen instead of it just flipping your world upside down, like "Would you Kindly?" did for me

Dartastic

Dear 2009 Macbook Pro that I use, you've been a great computer to me and you're fantastic for most things, but I am slightly mad at you that you're not good enough to run games anymore. I want to play this game at max. Ah well. :/

Also Dragonzord, your specs look fine. I'd just make sure to try and hook it up to a large screen or something.

I don't even like that a twist is being so openly talked about. Even if you don't get spoiled to it, you will still be aware that something is coming at some point, and that's lame.

When I first played Bioshock I had no idea there was going to be a twist. I'm not even sure if Bioshock would still be my favorite game of all time if I knew there was a twist beforehand. That moment was so huge for me and I actuallyhad to take a break afterwards just to try and piece everything together.

Toparaman

Banned
As usual, there are a lot of details missing on version differences. There wasn't even a mention of Move.

Nonetheless, seems like IGN was aware of all the criticism it was getting, and kept the fanboy squealing to a minimum this time.

For a chuckle, go back and read the opening paragraphs of the review for the original BioShock. Honestly, I think it's fair to say that despite the lower score for Infinite, the two are roughly on-par. IGN knew the whole gaming media was watching them this time around, and accordingly put on their best "big-boy journalist" face.

NAPK1NS

I liked the original BioShock review IGN did. It was sensitive to the games multilayered writing and never said "OH and the twist is NUTS."

Damn it, IGN. Just let us play the game.

The only way to not spoil a twist is to not even mention that there's a twist. Now you're gonna be expecting something waaaaaacky to happen instead of it just flipping your world upside down, like "Would you Kindly?" did for me

We'd never get that type of surprise from Irrational anymore though. They're now known for their twists, so reviews will mention that along with the story segments of the reviews.

Syrinx

If indeed there is padding, I think I'd prefer it in the middle than toward the end like BioShock 1. I think the setting will be more than enough to carry it through those parts.

Raxus

Did Syamalajlankanhan put a twist into Avatar? I didn't dare to approach that pile.

The twist was it sucked.

001k393h

MechaZain

Banned
Laptop with controller? (no mouse atm)

Should I get it with this or go for the PS3 version? IGN review has me kind of worried.
My laptop has slightly lower specs. At the very least we should be able to play the console equivalent (Medium settings according to IG). Don't get PS3 unless you want the Move support.

Ohwiseone

That can be a legitimate complaint. If the game just feels like it's spinning its gears in the middle act and giving you the run around.

It happens in a lot of games, but it's not like, deal-breaking or anything.

I fully admit that its a legitimate complain, I have to play it to see..

But I mean, It just seems like a really weird negative to have.

Video review? Haven't watched it. How much unshown footage does it show? I WANT to watch it, but... ya know. It's so close, I think I wanna stay away from new footage.

I felt like it ruined a couple of sights and moments, but it kind of just left me wanting to see more. I'd avoid it though.

Video review? Haven't watched it. How much unshown footage does it show? I WANT to watch it, but... ya know. It's so close, I think I wanna stay away from new footage.

Some new footage with the Vox, your first look at Colombia is the beginning of the review (lingers there for 30 seconds if not longer), lots of skyhook executions/attacks, and some Songbird stuff that I considered toeing spoiler-territory.

ironcreed

Banned
PS3 version looks just fine to me in the video review. I don't mind having to use a radial wheel to select abilities, either. Something I am used to and actually like.

On a side note, the damn skylines look like a blast. Can't wait.

Dartastic

Some new footage with the Vox, your first look at Colombia is the beginning of the review (lingers there for 30 seconds if not longer), lots of skyhook executions/attacks, and some Songbird stuff that I considered toeing spoiler-territory.
Yep. Not watching. I deliberately haven't watched the first five minutes because I want that to be fresh. OMG LESS THAN A WEEEEEK. HYPE HYPE HYPE.

I'll be getting the game Wednesday evening though because I'm driving back to Portland from Port Townsend, WA. Hopefully then there will be an apt comparison between the PS3 and Xbox versions of the game.

You know I feel like the way Irrational tackles video game story is the antithesis of David Cages's overly film style and actually lends itself to our medium.

No more heavy rain QTE games!

Top Bottom