• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

I'm a quality over quantity guy. I'm allergic to bullshit padding, and it usually keeps me from replaying games

Like, the last third of Bioshock, for instance

That wasn't really padding, just a writing/plotting/structure error. He resolved the whole Ryan thing too early, so the rest of the game suffered as a result.

Levine admitted as much in one of the interviews I watched recently. He says he learned a valuable lesson about having that kind of payoff moment too early and compromising the rest of the narrative.

Speaking of the GMG deal, I really liked Rise of Nations (probably the last 'strategy game' I played) will I enjoy Civ 5? None of the other games really interest me.

Well Civ is a turn based strategy, not an RTS like Nations. Also it has one pretty hefty expansion, Gods & Kings, that greatly changes gameplay (in addition to another culture and political themed DLC announced for summer). I have personally spent a ton of hours with Civ and I love it dearly, so if you're already getting Bioshock it would be a pretty sweet deal. Vanilla Civ V is probably not better regarded than Vanilla Civ IV, but with expansions, it's getting closer.

The military AI definitely sucks.

garath

I'm still scared about browsing this thread. I don't want any spoilers. I've been tentatively coming back here and there with squinting eyes. We're so close now. 4 days.....

Zeliard

It seems that he was perma banned, unless he had no avatar before.

Seems like it's a couple months.

But whoever did see it shouldn't concern themselves, I don't think.

Definitely be careful about browsing other places, and watch out for people "speculating." Though watch out for here, too, really. We had a guy with a 2007 account suicide in this thread a few days ago.

Have fun guys. I get to spend all weekend moving into our new house so zero time for games. To top it off, I work/live out of town so I won't get to play until next weekend.

cSRVa4j.jpg

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
xvFi4uh.png

Apologies for the crappy picture... just proving legit copy so I can post (spoiler free in tags) impressions later! Here we go...

ign said:
The story’s delivery slows to a drip-feed, and the gameplay suffers from an exhausting stretch where the goalposts you’re barreling towards are suddenly and repeatedly moved back, ratcheting down the momentum.
Maybe it gets Bioshock 1 fetch questy?

Derrick01

Banned
Has this rule ever been implemented for any other major release?

I don't know. I would assume for most story heavy games but I can't remember back to the Mass Effect and MGS 4 days.

Usually this board is pretty spoiler free thanks to our joining requirements.

Time for a spoiler thread maybe? To keep this one clean.

Don't see why we need to do story discussion before the game comes out when the main concern is performance and portions of gameplay. The latter can be vaguely termed "the middle" or "___ many hours in" to avoid any story stuff. Heck, folks can post story impressions without giving details, such as this character worked or maybe that the religious themes were off-base.

I'm sure most here with early copies can restrain themselves for a couple of days. But I'm not going to put one up (Of course that is to say Cyan, Andrew, or whoever else who contributed to the OT don't take up the honor themselves) prematurely in this community. Not everyone is going to have it day 1 and the temptation of that thread just being there is bound to cripple a good number of folks.

Could be early Tuesday morning, or it could be Thursday evening. But before the release in the game when the only thing that notably leaked out was the ending (and mostly just a short, troll phrase at that) isn't going to force a spoiler thread up before the game's release.

Tldr; It's not going up until most of the community here wants it up, and all the lucky fishes out there can be courteous in the mean-time with their impressions.

FeD.nL

Don't see why we need to do story discussion before the game comes out when the main concern is performance and portions of gameplay. The latter can be vaguely termed "the middle" or "___ many hours in" to avoid any story stuff. Heck, folks can post story impressions without giving details, such as this character worked or maybe that the religious themes were off-base.

I'm sure most here with early copies can restrain themselves for a couple of days. But I'm not going to put one up (Of course that is to say Cyan, Andrew, or whoever else who contributed to the OT don't take up the honor themselves) prematurely in this community. Not everyone is going to have it day 1 and the temptation of that thread just being there is bound to cripple a good number of folks.

Could be early Tuesday morning, or it could be Thursday evening. But before the release in the game when the only thing that notably leaked out was the ending (and mostly just a short, troll phrase at that) isn't going to force a spoiler thread up before the game's release.

Tldr; It's not going up until most of the community here wants it up, and all the lucky fishes out there can be courteous in the mean-time with their impressions.

You're right, probably just a bit paranoid from my side.

dreamfall

Does the pre-load start today?

Eagerly looking forward to taking forever to DL it- but this game!

And if there are spoilers lurking about, it may be time to abandon this thread...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I look forward to renting this game on Tuesday and checking it out. I didn't really like BioShock since its combat was pretty meh, and while BioShock 2 had better mechanics it didn't really grab me or anything. I'm kinda optimistic about this game but not to any significant degree.

The console graphics in that IGN review though were pretty rough.

Solo

Is the console performance as poor as initially thought? I own BS1 and BS2 on X360, and I'd like to get BI for it for continuity's sake, but if the performance is really bad, I'll go for PC.

Superimposer

How does it run, screen tearing? Just wondering cause we know how the PS3 version is.

Slight screen tearing so far. I do have to point out that the draw distance is pretty crappy and obviously the textures are bad. But to be honest the design of the game is blowing me away so much so far that this is at the back of my mind.

Ricker

Still cant gift Bioshock 1 and the TF stuff...nothing in my inventory,I closed and reopened Steam several times,I guess I had to do something before completing the transaction...if I go back to the buy area,it says that I already own Bioshock 1 and a little lower it says click here if you want to gift but then it wants me to buy it it seems or something,oh well,at least I got XCOM for free and playing it now out of the deal.

Superimposer

And as a follow up to that question, did you install the disc to your hard drive? And if so, what was the install size? Need to know how much I need to clear before Tuesday.

I did. It was a very long install, didn't see how big it was. Will let you know once I dashboard.

Slight screen tearing so far. I do have to point out that the draw distance is pretty crappy and obviously the textures are bad. But to be honest the design of the game is blowing me away so much so far that this is at the back of my mind.

I wonder if this can be fixed via patch somehow. I hope :(

Zefiro

Banned
Is anyone playing that old school mode from the get go?
Does it offer any challenge?

The companion character and the 2 weapon limit are scaring me into not buying this game.

Top Bottom