• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Slight screen tearing so far. I do have to point out that the draw distance is pretty crappy and obviously the textures are bad. But to be honest the design of the game is blowing me away so much so far that this is at the back of my mind.

Is there a radial option for your guns? I mean holding down the bumper to pause the game and select different weapons. People are saying right now you're strictly limited to 2 guns on consoles and I don't believe them :p

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You have to unlock it first by beating the game.

No you don't. There's an unlock code. It hasn't been revealed yet, though.

Practically the same engine as 1 & 2 with a few tweaks correct?

Looks a shitload better than 1 & 2, so I don't know if extrapolating from those examples is wise.

I believe it's a heavily modified Unreal Engine 3. Previous Bioshocks were heavily modified UE 2.5 with some UE3 features. Maybe not a huge difference... I don't know.

Zefiro

Banned

I heard there is a code to get it from the start, amd i hope it's true, if i have to go through a 15 hour campaign in order to unlock the mode im interested in, migh aswell watch the whole game on youtube.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Wait, there's a code for 1999 Mode? :\

Did anyone try the keypad code of the first sealed door in System Shock 2? Or perhaps the first door from the original System Shock?

Geoff9920

I heard there is a code to get it from the start, amd i hope it's true, if i have to go through a 15 hour campaign in order to unlock the mode im interested in, migh aswell watch the whole game on youtube.
It's both... You can either unlock it early via the yet to be released unlock code or it'll unlock automatically after you've completed the game.

So I just want to say....I'm terrified of spoilers right now. I hear they are popping up everywhere! I'm scared... I DO NOT... want this shit spoiled.

Thats unfortunate if its the case. Most likely I will be playing on 360 first and then pc, so it would be nice to able to jump right into 1999. Plus some people like playing on the hardest difficulty on the first run through, why not give them that option?

Thats unfortunate if its the case. Most likely I will be playing on 360 first and then pc, so it would be nice to able to jump right into 1999. Plus some people like playing on the hardest difficulty on the first run through, why not give them that option?

Because some people might accidently select it or some shit, but there is a code.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Is there a radial option for your guns? I mean holding down the bumper to pause the game and select different weapons. People are saying right now you're strictly limited to 2 guns on consoles and I don't believe them :p

Well it's sadly true that there is no gun radial. The manual even acknowledges it so it's not some kind of glitch or anything. I'm guessing you must be limited to 2 guns then.

Zeliard

Hello Zeliard

Digital versions also come with a free copy of XCOM and other games. But really, wouldn't you want to experience Columbia in all her glory? The game has great art that higher resolutions and fidelity will just accentuate, and the higher framerate will make combat smoother and Skyhooking feel better.

And don't use a pad unless you want to be locked to two weapons.

Andrew.

Banned

PSA (once again):

1999 Mode can be unlocked via code (which hasnt been revealed yet)

or

By completing the game

noffles

Banned
i did an insane thing earlier where I cancelled my amazon preorder and then went to simply games but they were like BILLING ADDRESS ONLY so i changed my bank details and ordered from simply games and saved 10 quid and its already dispatched lol

hype peaked hype peaked

domstah

I'm terrified to look around in this thread for fear of spoilers, but is the original BioShock a digital download or is it on disc?

aravuus

Oh it's running on the same engine as Dishonored? Fantastic, guaranteed 60fps on high on my laptop then.

oh christ i'm so excited

Not excited about the 2 weapon limit though. Oh well, at least you're not limited to two plasmids. Or whatever they were called again.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
bioshockl.jpg

Only an hour in.....

I won't say anything till I play more hours, more impressions later ~

are you using the move perchance?

You buy them at a vending machine. You can buy upgrades for all gun types even if you do not currently have them equipped.

I am really not concerned about a 2 weapon limit. I played Bioshock 2 all the way though the other day and only really used the Shotgun and Plasmids unless I ran out of ammo, then it was the Gatling gun.

Edit: I suppose it works like Far Cry 3, where when you pick up a weapon it changes to your upgraded version. At least I think that is how Far Cry 3 works.

Regarding any possible twists: I hope it can live up to Bioshock's. And not in that, "Oh hey, this plot has changed dramatically" but in the "Holy shit this plot has now changed the way I look at myself." Bioshock was special, it made me feel things more strongly than I would in other medium because i was a participant. It shone a light on the things I was doing, it made me question the nature of choice in games, and less so about choices in my own life. It legitimately pushed games narrative forward.

That's the thing I worry Infinite won't hit, that place where the narrative rises above what could be done with a standard narrative. I mean, the world looks cool, the themes are topical and look like they are handled deftly. I wonder though, can it push ludo narrative again, and can it make points about something wider than on the nature of games?

If it doesn't, It's looking like a really good RPG shooter, with an interesting story, but I'm not sure yet if it will be something important like the first bioshock was.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
How's the framerate?

Smooth as butter so far,
if 30fps is butter
. There was one moment where you enter an area with a large crowd and it hiccuped for just a fraction of a second but nothing major.

You can of course unlock framerate as well, which increases screen tear.

Daft_Cat

I hate to be one of those 'can I run it' guys, but I could easily rig my machine up to my tv, and play it with an Xbox controller, so I might as well decide now between PC and PS3.

Could someone more savvy than I advise on which option would get me more mileage?

Processor: 2.6 GHz i7

16 GB of DDR3 ram

Geforce GT 650 M

First 30 minutes of the PS3 version in good quality, but not in English. Watch at your own risk. I have seen the intro, so I am just going to watch a bit because it's better footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkQSmW5_Dmc

Thanks! Looks good to me, but I can sort of see the muddiness in some areas.

Top Bottom