• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Grief.exe

People complain about how sequels slot in on your Steam library, but Bioshock Infinite fits in just fine.

3rOIHzO.jpg

It will unlock at the same time as the base game and you will download it from there.

So either you play it without HD textures, or you have to wait another 2 hours or whatever to download it. This is how Sleeping Dogs handled it at launch, I remember. Pre-loaded the base game, then had to download the texture pack at the unlock time.

It would be nice to be able to pre-load the HD textures, but Steam just doesn't support that right now. I think it might be time to start thinking about implementing a system like this, seeing as how this texture pack is larger than the vast majority of major releases on Steam anyway.

The argument would be that it isn't a priority since you don't need the HD texture pack to be able to play the game.

I would like to see that feature, but its probably not at the top of their priorities.

DukeBobby

It will unlock at the same time as the base game and you will download it from there.

So either you play it without HD textures, or you have to wait another 2 hours or whatever to download it. This is how Sleeping Dogs handled it at launch, I remember. Pre-loaded the base game, then had to download the texture pack at the unlock time.

It would be nice to be able to pre-load the HD textures, but Steam just doesn't support that right now. I think it might be time to start thinking about implementing a system like this, seeing as how this texture pack is larger than the vast majority of major releases on Steam anyway.

10+GB in 2 hours? Man, I wish I had your download speeds...

dreamfall

Pre-loaded, ready for Tuesday- and I probably won't be by my computer until later in the week to play it!

Wish we could pre-load that texture pack though.

Angry Fork

Who says you can't run low on ammo with two weapons at a time. In fact, when this happens, you're then forced to find weapons in the environment or takedown enemies in order to grab their guns. As I mentioned before there are many many ways to obtain weapons in combat encounters. You actually have a greater number pf weapons at your disposal.

It's going to really suck when you're down in health and lose a battle because you can't run to a dead body to pick up a gun in time. Giving the player less control = way more frustration when it fucks you over. I trust in Irrational but I have a feeling I'm going to hate the limit.

antitrop

10+GB in 2 hours? Man, I wish I had your download speeds...
Just standard shitty US Comcast cable. I usually get about ~2MB/s from Steam with it. At that speed it's actually less than an hour and a half for 10GB.

I think that's pretty decent by US standards, and fucking embarrassing by most other standards. Except maybe Canada, I know Canada has really shitty internet.

FartOfWar

Banned
It's going to really suck when you're down in health and lose a battle because you can't run to a dead body to pick up a gun in time. Giving the player less control = way more frustration when it fucks you over. I trust in Irrational but I have a feeling I'm going to hate the limit.

Use your Vigors in that circumstances. Or your Skyhook. Or a Tear. They're there for a reason. In the end, it's up to you whether or not it works, but theory-crafting without experience and then running away with the emotions that arise form said theory-crafting is sort of goofy. People did this with every feature announced for COH 2, or every advance patch note, and I always refused to join the panic and assumption trains til I experienced the outcomes myself.

BraXzy

Used to have about 1MB/s download speed on broadband which is pretty common in the UK as far as I know. Got fibre optic now though so downloads go up to 8GB/s

Thank god I have because I wanr this bad boy ASAP especially since I might not get GMG codes till launch

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Does the PC version work with an Xbox 360 controller? Or are we forced to use a mouse and keyboard like Bioshock 2?

Zeliard

One thing's for certain, that fan fiction story Levine read either comes from someone's adorable child or someone's terrifying LSD trip.

Caode

BY THE BEARD OF LEVINE!

Just home from work to see that mine dispatched this morning, and it's on next day delivery!

....sitting at the door rocking back and forth!

Z3M0G

Wow I just heard about the 2 weapon limit, what the hell? That is super disappointing. How are you supposed to have the strategic elements from Bioshock 1 without lots of weapons at your disposal?

In Bio 1 on the hardest difficulty you would need to set traps, use all weapons to take out multiple big daddy's etc. because you would be low on ammo. 2 weapon limit really sucks, it's less fun.

Only two weapons hotkeyed... you need to use a wheel to access the rest. The reviewer didn't like using the wheel for things.

Edit: oops, my bad. Guess not.

antitrop

Only two weapons hotkeyed... you need to use a wheel to access the rest. The reviewer didn't like using the wheel for things.
Because he's a console fanboy like almost everyone else at IGN. If they got Greg Miller to review the game he probably would have given the PC version a 9.4 and the 360/PS3 the 9.5.

Zeliard

That's not accurate. The radial menu only exists for vigors. You're limited to carrying two weapons at a time; you have to drop one to pick up another.

Z3M0G

That's not accurate. The radial menu only exists for vigors. You're limited to carrying two weapons at a time; you have to drop one to pick up another.

Oops, sorry... my bad. I remember him saying "hotkeyed" and I thought it was for the weapons.

Dylan

Carrying 10 weapons around in a game in this day and age is kind of silly anyway.

In Bio1, I just upgraded my shotgun to the max and pretty much just used that for the whole game. If the levels are designed around combining abilities with fewer weapons I think I'd personally enjoy it more.

antitrop

Wouldn't that be getting it backwards? The reviewer preferred PC version since you had quick-key access to all weapons/skills.

My post was facetious. I don't really like Ryan McCaffrey, though. Going back to his OXM days.

He fits in at IGN, though.

Zeliard

Oops, sorry... my bad. I remember him saying "hotkeyed" and I thought it was for the weapons.

I think most people did, because he stupidly says "arsenal" even though he's only referring to the vigors. The review is just unclear. It even originally said that you could scroll through every weapon you had picked up in the PC version, which is completely untrue, so I think we're just dealing a poor reviewer (shocking).

antitrop

Posting for new page: GMG is currently e-mailing out the keys right now. I just got mine about 5 minutes ago, pre-loading now.

Fear not, GMG fans!

Top Bottom