• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Andrew.

Banned
I know this is from a few pages back, but WHAT?! Highway 17 is one of the best, if not the best, levels in the game!

Thats exactly where I am right now. Crossing the under area of the large bridge. My favorite part out of the whole damn experience.

NO spoilers, but I beat the game this morning at 6AM.

Amazing! Can't wait to talk to people about it once the world has played it haha.
Everything we expected and more. It's certainly a different game from Bioshock 1. The first one was, understandably, more claustrophobic and scary, while this one is more action oriented, bright, and open.

Those are just differences. I personally like scary games more, but the action in this is very tight and fun. Also the hyper-nationalism, and oblivous 1984-esque whitewashing, is arguably a nightmare far worse than dark corriders and spooky abandoned places.

The narrative seems too preachy at times, while Bio 1 was maybe more subdued, you really had to piece together the implications of their society. At first I didn't like the heavy handed approach, but as a narrative foil to Bioshock 1, its beautiful. It works well and you can tell Ken really has a message (messages) to be said here. (A message which we will all have to discuss later haha!)

Great game! A must play and buy!

CrazyDude

What is it with Bioshock that is making everyone want spoil it. I swear it's worse then other game releases.

NO spoilers, but I beat the game this morning at 6AM.

Amazing! Can't wait to talk to people about it once the world has played it haha.
Everything we expected and more. It's certainly a different game from Bioshock 1. The first one was, understandably, more claustrophobic and scary, while this one is more action oriented, bright, and open.

Those are just differences. I personally like scary games more, but the action in this is very tight and fun. Also the hyper-nationalism, and oblivous 1984-esque whitewashing, is arguably a nightmare far worse than dark corriders and spooky abandoned places.

The narrative seems too preachy at times, while Bio 1 was maybe more subdued, you really had to piece together the implications of their society. At first I didn't like the heavy handed approach, but as a narrative foil to Bioshock 1, its beautiful. It works well and you can tell Ken really has a message (messages) to be said here. (A message which we will all have to discuss later haha!)

Great game! A must play and buy!
How long was it?

I preordered the game today. At gamestop. We so close family.

Now comes the real test. I can feel the force croaching in now.

"why not just take a little peak at that gameplay footage, just bit, you won't remember it."

Quick question about GMG pre-order. I says it comes with xcom, but when I add it to the basket I don't see it listed. Xcom is automatically included once you pre-order right?

Hmm... I'm a bit worried about being able to run this game on my laptop. According to Can You Run It I pass the minimum settings... but barely. :/

Eh maybe I'll buy it in 2 years when I have a gaming computer.

Zeliard

That's a useless study. People can tell how they feel about things without a study. Why would we believe a study that tells us that spoilers actually enhance a story experience when we can actually feel negative emotions that contradict the research. I know when somebody spoils something for me, I feel annoyed and less enthused about the story.

I think it really all depends. I'm not a person who ever enjoys knowing story details before going in, particularly major ones, but I've also been able to greatly enjoy stories even while going in knowing some of the surprises.

It's probably a bit shaky to say that knowing critical story elements makes it more enjoyable, but there are probably cases where your enjoyment wouldn't differ much from having gone in blind.

Muffdraul

I think it really all depends. I'm not a person who ever enjoys knowing story details before going in, particularly major ones, but I've also been able to greatly enjoy stories even while going in knowing some of the surprises.

It's probably a bit shaky to say that knowing critical story elements makes it more enjoyable, but there are probably cases where your enjoyment wouldn't differ much from having gone in blind.

Yeah, I would never argue that knowing spoilers actually improves enjoyment. But it was a pretty big epiphany for me when I realized that in the long run being spoiled didn't really seem to inhibit my how much I enjoyed/valued a story once I had experienced the whole thing.

I always make sure to never think of myself as any smarter than "dumb." :)

Wise words! And very ironic. =)

How long was it?

Hard to say because of the questionable inability to save your own file. You just reload from the last autosave or checkpoint depending on the situation. There may be a way to map a quicksave button but I don't know how and it never bothered me too much.

I would estimate that it took around 8-9 hours, pretty average for a first play though I would imagine. I did every side mission and got pretty dang close to 100% on my first play. Including making sure to hear just about every dialogue option possible from NPCS. Arguably you can shave off almost two hours from my run by just running past non essential NPCS and points of interest. I missed a few hidden logs etc since I had no references online to create a checklist, no idea where they could be considering how linear the game is when you boil it all down and how through I was.

Items/some missions are definitely missable, but Liz will usually give you a VERY obvious dialogue cue if your leaving the area will prevent you from coming back.

All in all, I think I beat this quicker than Bioshock 1. The pastoral, and lived in, golden-age setting just isn't scary and so you don't creep around like in the first game.

Necrovex

Not sure who is part of the Facebook Neogaf page, but avoid that page for a while. Someone is going around and spoiling the game in there.

Pre ordered this today.
Now playing Bioshock 1 with SweetFX. The game holds up surprisingly well.

For anyone who ordered from GMG:

At the top of the page when you are logged in, go to "Your Account"
Then go to "keys"
And they should all be there. I pre-ordered today around 2pm ET, and I got all my keys.

Hope that helps.

Also sad to hear people are being
frothing vaginas
and spoiling the game for everyone on reddit/fb/wikipedia. Seriously, why? They won't even get the satisfaction of seeing your disappointment/rage...gah.

Muffdraul

Ironic how? To be honest, I wasn't sure if you've been joking around (my sarcasm meter is broken today, apparently).

Ironic vis a vis wise/dumb. I've been joking, but looking back at my posts they do read pretty deadpan and Asbergers-ish. Which I don't have. (At least, I don't think so... o_O;)

FartOfWar

Banned
The story isn't just a point in a Bioshock game. It was a major factor for purchasing it, as I loved Bioshock 1's story.

All stories are in their telling. Imagine if someone could ruin Anna Karenina simply by saying, "Anna throws herself under a train." Not that this is Tolstoy, but still.

solarus

Can anyone who has ordered from GMG help me out please. I got an email with my various codes but there is a code between my X com code and my infinite code which has no title and does not work when I enter it in steam, is it my industrial revolution code? Does that only work in-game, so it can't be entered into steam?
XCOM: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX- mystery code
INFINITE: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Thanks.

Can anyone who has ordered from GMG help me out please. I got an email with my various codes but there is a code between my X com code and my infinite code which has no title and does not work when I enter it in steam, is it my industrial revolution code? Does that only work in-game, so it can't be entered into steam?
XCOM: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX- mystery code
INFINITE: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Thanks.

It's the industrial revolution key for the online game.
Here: https://www.finkmanufacturing.com/

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

The issue with generalizing this study to this situation is that in the study nobody actually gave a shit about the stories ahead of time.

I've been waiting for Infinite for, what, over 3 years? If someone spoils something for me, I will have negative emotions in response to someone taking the surprising elements away from my experience. I will continue to experience those negative emotions during the game (as the game itself is a continuous reminder that someone selfishly hurt my experience) up through the spoiled plot point. Then after that point, I'll be mad that I didn't get to experience it as it was intended.

There's a lot of negatively valenced metacognition involved when you are anticipating something and it's ruined. The study doesn't capture that.

Top Bottom