• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

FartOfWar

Banned
I dunno. How do you make a typo out of a word? But I did tweet him back saying I was excited for BioShock Infinite!

I know this is from a few pages back, but WHAT?! Highway 17 is one of the best, if not the best, levels in the game!

Sounds odd, but let me say now that I'm sorry Dax.

DukeBobby

Can anyone who has ordered from GMG help me out please. I got an email with my various codes but there is a code between my X com code and my infinite code which has no title and does not work when I enter it in steam, is it my industrial revolution code? Does that only work in-game, so it can't be entered into steam?
XCOM: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX- mystery code
INFINITE: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Thanks.

https://www.finkmanufacturing.com/

Go here and follow the instructions.

NAPK1NS

Pre ordered this today.
Now playing Bioshock 1 with SweetFX. The game holds up surprisingly well.

For anyone who ordered from GMG:

At the top of the page when you are logged in, go to "Your Account"
Then go to "keys"
And they should all be there. I pre-ordered today around 2pm ET, and I got all my keys.

Hope that helps.
Now if only you could make the site load.

CrazyDude

Hard to say because of the questionable inability to save your own file. You just reload from the last autosave or checkpoint depending on the situation. There may be a way to map a quicksave button but I don't know how and it never bothered me too much.

I would estimate that it took around 8-9 hours, pretty average for a first play though I would imagine. I did every side mission and got pretty dang close to 100% on my first play. Including making sure to hear just about every dialogue option possible from NPCS. Arguably you can shave off almost two hours from my run by just running past non essential NPCS and points of interest. I missed a few hidden logs etc since I had no references online to create a checklist, no idea where they could be considering how linear the game is when you boil it all down and how through I was.

Items/some missions are definitely missable, but Liz will usually give you a VERY obvious dialogue cue if your leaving the area will prevent you from coming back.

All in all, I think I beat this quicker than Bioshock 1. The pastoral, and lived in, golden-age setting just isn't scary and so you don't creep around like in the first game.

So 4 to 5 hour game, that's disappointing. Not sure if it's worth 60 dollars for such a short game if taking your time takes 8 hours.

Sounds odd, but let me say now that I'm sorry Dax.

<3 You're fine! I've just always wondered about it. Didn't know you had a GAF account.

I've been trying to catch up on the thread, and I'm on the page that reveals that BioShock Infinite has a two-weapon limit on consoles. That's very surprising to me, given what I know about Irrational Games and coming from their last game, BioShock. I'm a huge fan of the two-weapon limit as I'm a big Halo fan, but that leaves me wondering: Why the change? That really affects combat.

Very much looking forward to the gameplay.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Has this been posted??

sackboybio2.jpg

Looks amazing!

Edit: Source

FartOfWar

Banned
So 4 to 5 hour game, that's disappointing. Not sure if it's worth 60 dollars for such a short game if taking your time takes 8 hours.

I don't want to defend everything but for real, 8 hours is a speed run. It took 99 percent of people over three hours to finish our demo alone and that ends at the start of the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Found the Professional Edition of Hitman: Absolution for $20 at my local Best Buy. The standard was $50 :lol

Hoping it'll last through the weekend until Infinite hits. I need something to keep me off the internet and away from the hives of scum and villany that contain spoilers.

Found the Professional Edition of Hitman: Absolution for $20 at my local Best Buy. The standard was $50 :lol

Hoping it'll last through the weekend until Infinite hits. I need something to keep me off the internet and away from the hives of scum and villany that contain spoilers.

Its like £5 on PC now :p

Zeliard

The issue with generalizing this study to this situation is that in the study nobody actually gave a shit about the stories ahead of time.

I've been waiting for Infinite for, what, over 3 years? If someone spoils something for me, I will have negative emotions in response to someone taking the surprising elements away from my experience. I will continue to experience those negative emotions during the game (as the game itself is a continuous reminder that someone selfishly hurt my experience) up through the spoiled plot point. Then after that point, I'll be mad that I didn't get to experience it as it was intended.

There's a lot of negatively valenced metacognition involved when you are anticipating something and it's ruined. The study doesn't capture that.

Certainly, if you're truly upset at having been spoiled, that will have an inevitable negative impact on your enjoyment because you quite simply are going into it with negative emotions. As someone who has been spoiled on the ending to Bioshock Infinite but has had a few days now to sort of mull that over, I find I'm still really interested in experiencing the story and seeing how it all leads to the conclusion. Being spoiled, say, the day before release would have probably been rough.

I mainly agree with the portion of the study that says it can be less distracting. Since I already know where the story ends up, I don't have to try to predict plot elements and I can more enjoy the story "in the moment." That's been the case for me in the past with other narratives, especially since I'm the type of person who tends to try to guess what's coming up.

Dylan

Also, is it a spoiler to say that the last boss is
a Peggle battle between Booker and the floating disembodied head of Jeff Green?

OK lemme give some context to my 8-9 hour claim.

I beat all 3 Uncharteds in literally 8-9 hours apiece. I played them start to finish with hardly any breaks and did almost everything (but not true 100% bc idc).

This was EXACTLY the same amount of game time and experience and completionist attitiude. Also I played on the hardest difficulty for what it matters.

EDIT: So what I mean is gauge my playtime based on your playtime of Uncharted 1/2/3. If you beat it in say 12 hours, you might just be a little slower than I am in Bioshock Infinite as well. Everyone has their own pace, and when a game really grips me like Uncharted or Bioshock, my pace is breakneck!

Dipswitch

So my pre-load is complete, but I'm guessing I'm going to wait for this to unlock in order to grab the HD texture pack?

So much for me slinging this on the second I get back from my business trip.....

Dylan

OK lemme give some context to my 8-9 hour claim.

I beat all 3 Uncharteds in literally 8-9 hours apiece. I played them start to finish with hardly any breaks and did almost everything (but not true 100% bc idc).

This was EXACTLY the same amount of game time and experience and completionist attitiude. Also I played on the hardest difficulty for what it matters.

Don't let those powers go to waste! Sign up as a control at your local EEG research lab.

dmr87

GMG info.

Hey everyone - we've got some important information about BioShock Infinite keys.

Our automated system is currently sending out BioShock Infinite keys - we were only able to start sending keys when the pre-load opened. The game launches on Tuesday so we will have the keys with you in good time to pre-load and start playing.

Due to high sales on this title we have taken some steps to speed things up. Most notably we have taken down the Keys and Game History section of the Account temporarily. Many people were hitting this area looking for their key since the pre-load was announced and this was severely impacting the actual sending of keys. There is no need to access this section of your Account as you will receive an email with your key. Sorry about this, but it will help.

Once keys have been despatched we will bring these sections back.

http://blog.playfire.com/2013/03/bioshock-infinite-keys-important.html

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Certainly, if you're truly upset at having been spoiled, that will have an inevitable negative impact on your enjoyment because you quite simply are going into it with negative emotions. As someone who has been spoiled on the ending to Bioshock Infinite but has had a few days now to sort of mull that over, I find I'm still really interested in experiencing the story and seeing how it all leads to the conclusion. Being spoiled, say, the day before release would have probably been rough.

I mainly agree with the portion of the study that says it's likely to be less distracting. Since I already know where the story ends up, I don't have to try to predict plot elements and I can more enjoy the story "in the moment." That's been the case for me in the past with other narratives, especially since I'm the type of person who tends to try to guess what's coming up.

If a story is mysterious, I want to spend time predicting plot elements. That's part of the enjoyment. I don't even know what "enjoying the story in the moment" means in this context. Why can't I both speculate and enjoy the ongoing experience? I also have to wonder whether this study would generalize at all to games in the first place.

Honestly, having the game spoiled would probably have only a small impact on my enjoyment because I'd still be able to appreciate the richness of the world and the way the story is told. But I'll be left asking myself how I would have felt differently if I hadn't been spoiled. And that question will remain unanswerable. As I am a bit neurotic sometimes, this would bother me a lot. I'm sure there are plenty of people who wouldn't much care after a week.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
My purchase from GMG hung but then it charged my card. I haven't received an email yet but I sure as hell hope I will be getting my keys.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So my pre-load is complete, but I'm guessing I'm going to wait for this to unlock in order to grab the HD texture pack?

So much for me slinging this on the second I get back from my business trip.....

I'm in the same situation. I downloaded LogMeIn (free remote desktop software, www.logmein.com) and I'm going to use it to access my desktop PC and download the texture pack if it's available on Tuesday morning. It was pretty easy to set up.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Getting it from greenmangaming right now too. Site is taking a while to load...

It did and just hung forever on the processing screen and then my card was charged. It said there was an error and I will be refunded. Why even take the funds out if there was no purchase completed?! I don't want to have to be charged again just to see if it goes through and I get an email since I haven't even received a confirmation email.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Business trip high five! I don't get back till Friday! Woo!

Don't let those powers go to waste! Sign up as a control at your local EEG research lab.

I dont think that sounds too uncharacteristic for the average gamer. If you have played other FPS's or even just Bioshock before than this is all rather familiar territory. The game is great, but it doesn't reinvent the wheel when it comes to controls. The hook sections are rather inuitive and the shoot guns and fire lightning from your fingers is a common trope.

There are no puzzles like hacking in Bioshock 1 (kinda sad imho) and if you can kill stuff well then you can zoom through to the narrative rich sections much quicker. All in all it is an incredibly well crafted linear game, like HL, in that there is the illusion of a wide open world around you but compared to say an Elders Scroll or Xenoblade, it is rather straight forward. There just isn't any real reason this should take over 12 hours for sure, unless you really suck at FPS's. No puzzling really required, just shootin', atmosphere, and trying to pick up single little coins/lockpicks off the ground like a fool haha.

My favorite part about modern video game launches is watching GMG break.

Maybe that is morbid, but it has definitely taught me not to get something from them at launch.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Like the thread title change!

Ha! - I'm back Thursday! No fear of me gloating in here though - I'll be avoiding this thread like the plague until I'm done with it for fear of spoilers.
Same here. When midnight hits on Monday, I'll try and be in the dark until I've played through everything.

Top Bottom