• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

CrazyDude

Ok so I have just played the first couple of hours of the 360 version and it was absolutely wonderful. The game establishes the world so gracefully and doesn't rush to appease the player at all. I certainly don't want to spoil anything for anyone so I won't talk in any detail but it gave me the same feelings as when I was introduced to City 17 for the first time.

My only major gripe so far is frame rate. You can disable V Sync in the options menu so they obviously know its a problem. Too many enemies and I felt like I was hitting the low 20's which was not great. Also had a few texture pop in issues but thats nothing new as its a UE3 title.

4mb day one patch too which installed before I started.

The thing thats making me want to do an all nighter though is the writing. Story had me hooked in the first ten minutes.

From this it sounds like the ps3 version is better.

antitrop

I'm torn between Spec Ops and Mafia II. I've played both, but I've also had a desire to replay both of them. Spec Ops probably has the stronger narrative, but I really love open world games, even if they're somewhat mediocre. It's too bad it only applies to downloads, as the physical copies are cheaper and I could probably get both without spending any money.

Get Spec Ops for posterity.

Magnus

From this it sounds like the ps3 version is better.

I've got vsync on now, and the game's doing really well on the PS3, as far as fluidity and frame rate go. Shit gets super chaotic anyway in battle, so I'm not sure if I'm judging well what FPS the game's chugging to.

And yes, total City 17 vibes from Columbia, echoing what someone else said.

Sound design! So good. Dynamic soundtracks that change based on your combat situation or build in instrumentation during kills or the end of combat...why aren't they a part of more games? Wonderful.

Sky-Hook (Skyline?) is fucking thrilling to finally experience, after seeing it in videos forever.

Ok so I have just played the first couple of hours of the 360 version and it was absolutely wonderful. The game establishes the world so gracefully and doesn't rush to appease the player at all. I certainly don't want to spoil anything for anyone so I won't talk in any detail but it gave me the same feelings as when I was introduced to City 17 for the first time.

My only major gripe so far is frame rate. You can disable V Sync in the options menu so they obviously know its a problem. Too many enemies and I felt like I was hitting the low 20's which was not great. Also had a few texture pop in issues but thats nothing new as its a UE3 title.

4mb day one patch too which installed before I started.

The thing thats making me want to do an all nighter though is the writing. Story had me hooked in the first ten minutes.
Was the game installed to the hard drive.

FartOfWar

Banned
Sound design! So good. Dynamic soundtracks that change based on your combat situation or build in instrumentation during kills or the end of combat...why aren't they a part of more games? Wonderful.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Killed me that this hasn't been noticed yet.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Was the game installed to the hard drive.

Yes I always install everything before I play it as my 120gb 360 is getting a bit old now and I don't want to stress the disc drive too much.

Completely agree with the comments about the sound design too I am playing with 5.1 headphones and the game has scared the life out of me at least twice already.

Magnus

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Killed me that this hasn't been noticed yet.

The sound in this game is grabbing me by the fucking balls and squeezing till I sing to the same tune it's belting out. I love it. Bravo.

May I ask what part of the crew you belonged to man?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
what is anyone going to use their $30 amazon 2k credit on?

I honestly have no clue. Thankfully I have a year to figure that out. Maybe some Civ V expansions? I have it, but haven't really played it yet.

Damn you backlog!

Yeah nobody has been able to deliver any solid conclusions.
Me thinks you're all going to have to wait for Digital Foundry to do their thing unless someone out there is willing to double dip and know a place that already broke the street date. Everyone is still embargoed.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Yeah nobody has been able to deliver any solid conclusions.

Well to be fair no one is gonna buy both versions.

I can tell you that 360 is fine from my own experience (but I'm really not that bothered about anything over 30fps to be honest), and a lot of people here have said that PS3 is fine. I don't think there's any massive difference to be honest, but I get the impression that the PS3 may edge it slightly.

More importantly, the small pop-in issues and stuff that I'm getting are just being totally drowned out by the awesomeness of the design of the world. I'm not even noticing this stuff.

Every Lit class I've been in spoiled the book we were about to read. All the Greek tragedies, Brave New World, Fahrenheit etc. I think this is what made me not really care about being spoiled anymore and sometimes I read something that gets me interested in the story enough to try it out (999 I'm looking at you). I mean I don't go actively seeking it out, but I do understand why they suck. I'm pretty sure I've had this conversation with a poster in here before...

Thermite

Has anyone made a custom grid image for steam that uses the alternate Infinite boxart/cover yet? I'm not really feeling the default image...

What's the latest update on getting 1999 mode on release, are they gonna post in their blog on Tuesday or something ?

I really don't want to finish the game once to access it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It'll autoload.

Does that mean it'll just act like an update for the game and we won't have to find it in the store and download it?

If so, I guess that also means we can't opt to play the game without the high res textures? (Not that I would, but some people might be kind of pissed when their game unlocks and then they have to download 10 gigs before it will start.)

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Does that mean it'll just act like an update for the game and we won't have to find it in the store and download it?

If so, I guess that also means we can't opt to play the game without the high res textures? (Not that I would, but some people might be kind of pissed when their game unlocks and then they have to download 10 gigs before it will start.)

Yea, I would prefer the Sleepy Dogs option and have it as a free DLC download. 10gb for an autoload option you can't use could cause a decent amount of backlash.

Even better would be to have it as dlc, but you can download it before launch as a separate package! :D

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck, Shawn?! I thought I could trust you! God dammit, I was just about and see the movie. BUT IT'S RUINED. EVERYTHING. Because of you.
You monster.

What the fuck, Shawn?! I thought I could trust you! God dammit, I was just about and see the movie. BUT IT'S RUINED. EVERYTHING. Because of you.
You monster.

You should be thanking Shawn if what you say is true. That was one of the worst movie adaptations of any book ever. It was 100% visuals and 0% story. Sure it might make some cool gifs one day, but as a movie... sheesh it was terrible! There is a reason it had a limited release and was taken out of theatres after like two weeks.

Top Bottom