• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

beastmode

Well then I should've been banned a long while ago. People are streaming stuff days and sometimes even weeks before release. Think for example of the stuff people were discussing last year in threads here when streams of Max Payne 3 came out a week before release. Not all of those were legit.

Also stuff like leaked endings, for example Halo 3.
I'm referring to this thread specifically.

Zeliard

It's alright. Elizabeth occasionnally gives you money, ammo or health, she can pick locks for you (Booker always asks nicely and always thanks her afterwards so hopefully there won't be another scandal about men abusing women in video games). She can also make stuff (automated weapons, walls, etc.) spawn during battles but it's entirely optional.

Apart from that, you don't have to protect her (good thing), she doesn't get in your way and her AI is good enough that she doesn't get lost.

Actually I meant more her interactions with people and objects when you're just walking around the environment, i.e. the beach demonstrations they've showed in videos.

But the combat stuff sounds interesting as well.

Vire

I really wish Irrational would just go out and show a 10 minute clip on each platform that way I know which version to get.

This shit is stressful.

Here's hoping the digital foundry analysis comes soon.

I put mine in seven days ago and still no key.
That's GMG for you. They will deliver eventually, though. Eventually.
I really wish Irrational would just go out and show a 10 minute clip on each platform that way I know which version to get.

This shit is stressful.

Here's hoping the digital foundry analysis comes soon.
Get PC. It already runs fine on PS3 with some very slight slowdowns during intense gunfights. Loading is also reasonable on PS3. So PC is a boost into buttery sky.

Magnus

Actually I meant more her interactions with people and objects when you're just walking around the environment, i.e. the beach demonstrations they've showed in videos.

But the combat stuff sounds interesting as well.

She definitely marvels at things, expresses disgust during a gruesome kill, looks around a lot, and seems to have a ton of preprogrammed flags for behaviour in specific locations. When we arrived at a balcony, she ran ahead and looked over and around. I don't know why, but I found that particular moment alarmingly beautiful and realistic.

She's great.

Vire

That's GMG for you. They will deliver eventually, though. Eventually.

Get PC. It already runs fine on PS3 with some very slight slowdowns during intense gunfights. Loading is also reasonable on PS3. So PC is a boost into buttery sky.

Considering I only have a Macbook Air as my computer, I don't think that's a viable choice. :(

I'd love to play on PC.

Zeliard

She definitely marvels at things, expresses disgust during a gruesome kill, looks around a lot, and seems to have a ton of preprogrammed flags for behaviour in specific locations. When we arrived at a balcony, she ran ahead and looked over and around. I don't know why, but I found that particular moment alarmingly beautiful and realistic.

She's great.

That's basically what I wanted to hear. Sounds cool.

Levine's stated over and over that getting Elizabeth's environmental interactions to work right was nightmarish for the team, so it's cool that they seem to have eventually succeeded. It's easy to see how that sort of thing if done right can add a lot to a companion.

She's great.
She also reportedly still glitches into walls sometimes and disappears completely but can still talk (you can tell through subtitles). So there are some moments that will remind you that she's a sophisticated automaton. It's still a monumental feat in engineering. I wonder if the extra power in PC will help with any small bumps that I mentioned.

That's basically what I wanted to hear. Sounds cool.

Levine's stated over and over that getting Elizabeth's environmental interactions to work right was nightmarish for the team, so it's cool that they seem to have eventually succeeded. It's easy to see how that sort of thing if done right can add a lot to a companion.

This is going to be the kind of thing so many gamers completely gloss over, though. The challenge junkies and the hardcore shooter fans, many of them won't be paying any attention to the little details, either when it comes to Elizabeth, or the city or greater storyline and themes. Many are going to be barreling through the game and judging it on its most basic components. I definitely get a sense of this when I read some people's opinions on the first Bioshock too.

People should keep that in mind when they're listening to opinions.

I've been hearing good things about the PS3 version.

The more I've played, the more I'm happy with the overall package. Doesn't feel like the frame rate goes to hell during battle much. Actually feels as solid to me as Bioshock 1 did on the 360, if that makes sense.

I'm about 5 hours in, and at:
the point where I've reunited with Liz and am going into Fink's to find guns.

Wonder what this game length will wind up Being for me.

Love the Heavy Hitters. Awesome designs and encounters all around.

I can confirm the PS3 version runs very well

Praise the sun

iSZk0WeuZDTMG.gif
Perfect haha

I'm so jealous of all the people who've already got the game. Wal Mart still hasn't sent me a damned shipping update and it still says "processing" with an estimated arrival date of 3/26 :/

The game is like 3 days away so I don't think I'm getting it day one. At this point, I'm seriously considering picking up the game at midnight from Wal-Mart, and then returning the copy that arrives (likely days later). I'm just not sure whether there's any difference between the packaging of the regular edition and the premium edition that I ordered.

savor100

I have a giftcard to get this on Target but they don't offer any preorder bonuses BS...fuck!
Sounds like this game will be a lot of fun

Vire

I'd spoiler tag for the sensitive.

Good call, I only watched the first 30 minutes or so of the game. The rest I'm blacked out!

I feel like I have the same amount of exposure as I did with 1 with the demo and all...

Looks awesome though.

Well I mean, they've shown pretty much everything in that video in official IGN released videos, it's not like I posted the ending. :lol

Guri

Is there any way to change where the game will be preloaded? It's going for the main directory (HDD), but I want the game to be installed on the SSD?

Or I'll have to use Steam Mover?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Well I mean, they've shown pretty much everything in that video in official IGN released videos, it's not like I posted the ending. :lol

Doesn't matter, a little spoiler warning won't hurt you.

Grief.exe

No I mean when can someone use a VPN to play it early. I did it with Tomb Raider and was able to play it a day before release.

I see what you mean.

Well someone from another country would have to check and see when it unlocks for them, then we could VPN.

Amazon pre-order deal has changed and it seems very competitive, if anyone is interested.

Amazon's pre-order for Bioshock Infinite was updated.

Pre-order from Amazon and get XCOM for free, along with one $30 credit towards 2K games. This can be used towards the season pass, but only after 30 days.

So pre-order from Amazon, get the season pass and XCOM for free.

Alternatively, the credit can be used on Amazon's 2K Mega Pack, which includes Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Borderlands: GOTY, CivCity Rome, Duke Nukem Forever, Mafia II, Civ V, Civ IV, and stronghold collection.

Seems like a pretty solid deal.

UPDATE ON BIOSHOCK INFINITE PRE-ORDER:

FYI we have added XCOM: Enemy Unknown to the Amazon Bioshock Infinite Pre-order offer (Digital). Customers who pre-order Bioshock Infinite will get: A credit good towards the full price of XCOM, usable only on XCOM, in addition to the $30 credit towards more 2K games, when the game launches.

I'm fairly certain that this makes our offer the most compelling in the channel .

Cheers,
Tony

Not for the first 30 days, basically the credit will work on anything except things within a 30 day launch window. Once the 30 day launch window is over I'll add anything that launches in 2013 to the benefit set for the promotion.

I'll be responding from mobile the rest of the day, headed out!

Cheers,
Tony

source: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10587073#post10587073

Grief.exe

Is there any way to change where the game will be preloaded? It's going for the main directory (HDD), but I want the game to be installed on the SSD?

Or I'll have to use Steam Mover?

I posted this in the Steam thread, but this should work for anyone who needs an alternative install location.

I have the same issue.

If you copy your Steam .exe and paste it into the folder with Steam Apps in your storage drive. The folder you have set up as a library on your main Steam installation.

Steam will repopulate that folder and create almost a second installation. Theoretically, you should be able to install BioShock there, it should install it to the Steam Apps folder, then it will be detected by your main steam installation.

So copy Steam.exe.
Paste in the folder with SteamApps in it.
Run Steam, pre-load.
My installation is D:/Program Files/Steam (Paste Here)/SteamApps

After BioShock comes out, just delete everything in that folder except for SteamApps.

ruxtpin

Banned
I feel like the impressions of the 360 and PS3 version are much of the same right now, but the OCD gamer in me wants a full-on breakdown of which one is better. Even if it's only one version getting 1 more FPS more... I need to know! =P

Gacha-pin

I came here to say that I'm impressed by the Elizabeth's behavior. She always trys to run in front of me instead of just following me. But the thread turned into the negative mood :(

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
for new page

IGN Live Presents: Bioshock Infinite and the Evolution of AI

IGN's Casey Lynch will sit down with Irrational’s Ken Levine (creative director), Drew Holmes (writer), John Abercrombie (lead programmer), Amanda Jeffrey (designer), and Heather Gordon (motion capture actress) and Courtnee Draper, Voice Actress, (Elizabeth's Voice) to discuss Irrational’s past AI characters and how the team used what they learned from System Shock 2 and the original BioShock to create Elizabeth. Panel attendees can expect unique insights into Irrational’s creative process and discover how Irrational Games is able to create a truly life-like AI.

ruxtpin

Banned
I feel like if you were a true OCD gamer you would be on PC ;)

Hey! I don't have any room. I've seriously considering it tho; I figure with the next round of consoles coming out that Infinite will be ported to them to make a quick buck. I'm telling myself I'm going to wait until the full reveals for the PS4 and whatever the next Xbox is called, and then compare against building a gaming PC (that I'd hook up to my PC).

I keep telling myself that when Valve announces Half-Life 3 (or whatever it's titled) that I'll build a PC, but that could be 2037 or later.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Had about an hour of gameplay with Elizabeth so far. I think her behaviour is absolutely great so far - very very impressed. She ran into a wall for about 3 seconds once but I'm not too bothered by that.

Did Amazon up their deal? I just received an extra $15 2K credit ($45 credit total)...Or maybe this is because I already bought XCOM from their site awhile back...

Top Bottom