• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Pre-load is done.

38821eae-0dfe-415c-9e46-137c19ff60cc_400.gif

I've decided to roll the dice on the PC version. Reading the numerous comments about the subpar console performance has been a huge motivator to see how far I can push my little gaming laptop. My specs:

• Intel (dual)Core i7-2617M CPU @ 1.50GHz (turbo boosts to 2.6GHz)
  • 8 GB RAM DDR3 at 1333 MHz
  • Nvidia GeForce GT 540M 2 GB RAM
  • Windows 7 64-bit

mp_rf_3.gif

dmr87

Playing the PC version on Medium settings is fairly close to the console version, though higher quality in a few areas. As you go up from there to the High, Very High, and Ultra settings the difference is enormous.

The PC version ships on three discs, as opposed to one for consoles, to accommodate the higher-resolution content we provide for the PC.

Higher-end PC settings also activate on higher-quality versions of many of our core rendering features. For example, we show more objects and particles at longer distances and greater detail. We use a higher-precision color buffer for improved scene quality. Textures stream in more quickly, and we use higher quality texture filtering. More objects cast shadows, shadows are higher-resolution and blend more smoothly into the scene.

Though you only need DX10 hardware to play, if you have DX11 hardware you'll be able to turn on high-end PC-only features like Contact Hardening Shadows, High Definition Ambient Occlusion, and Diffusion Depth of Field. In particular, the HDAO and DDoF will take full advantage of the DX11 Compute Shader capability in high-end hardware, and our FXAA implementation is optimized for Shader Model 5.

The "Windowed Fullscreen" display mode is there because Doug Marien prefers to play that way and advocated for it.

Our Steam Cloud support is great because Shane Mathews wouldn't settle for anything less and argued that PC gamers would expect it. Steve Anichini and his rendering team pushed hard to change the entire renderer to DX11 and to add in scalability options so we could take full advantage of the latest PC hardware. The UI team fought to make sure that their UI was mouse-friendly, displayed properly in higher resolutions, and had input bindings that changed instantly when you switched from controller to keyboard. My contribution was the in-game FOV adjustment control.

Cannot wait to max this baby out, and props to Irrational for having people that care.

I've decided to roll the dice on the PC version. Reading the numerous comments about the subpar console performance has been a huge motivator to see how far I can push my little gaming laptop. My specs:

• Windows 7 64-bit

mp_rf_3.gif

Try yougamers, a lot better than can you run it.

Toparaman

Banned
I STILL am undecided whether to go for the PC or PS3 version due to my horrible experiences with the first Bioshock on PC.

I hear you man. In '08, I upgraded my graphics card just to play Bioshock on PC, exceeded the recommended requirements, and the game still went below 20 fps every time there were two or more enemies on screen. Spent hours overclocking and what-not, and nothing helped. That was the last time I tried modern PC gaming.

I'm just too much of a perfectionist to deal with less than perfect performance on PC, whereas with consoles I know I'm getting a consistent experience with what the developers are getting. Bad ports excluded, of course.

• Windows 7 64-bit

mp_rf_3.gif

Where is this from? I want to see how my comp does.

Thats awesome I can't wait to max this out at 1440p, going to look amazing. Hopefully it runs well on crossfire.

lolpzkml.jpg

I was pretty ecstatic when I my 560Ti/i5-3570K 3.4GB combo was beyond the requirements.

Then I saw your 3 perfectly full green bars... Thank you.. I feel so ashamed of myself now.... *sobs*

• Windows 7 64-bit

mp_rf_3.gif

My laptop is almost identical to yours, and according to yougamers.com, it won't be able to handle the game. I'm gonna try it anyways, though, this thing has yet to let me down.

My laptop is almost identical to yours, and according to yougamers.com, it won't be able to handle the game. I'm gonna try it anyways, though, this thing has yet to let me down.

I just checked yougamers.com as well, the site's detection app isn't working well with my computer as it can't detect my processor. It tells me that I can't even run Torchlight 2, LOL!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Got my key from AMD from buying a HD 7970. Preloading on Steam now. 17GB! Goddamn!

Anyway, going back to total blackout until Tuesday.

Wonderfalls

Neo Member
ps3 seemed to have more tearing with locked framerate. 360 barely tears with locked.

That's my experience. I've played both versions back to back today, and the PS3 version tears more frequently. I've only seen the 360 version tear in heavily populated areas, and only then when I was spinning the camera around super fast. The 360 version drops frames instead, which means the PS3 version can feel a little more consistent. Tearing tends to be in the top 25% of the screen, occasionally appearing 50% of the way down.

That said, the PS3 version is slightly more crisp, I assume due to more aggressive AA on the 360 version. It's not a Tomb Raider level of difference though, and I only noticed when I switched my receiver between back and forth between the two consoles.

neoism

so guys where is the best place to per-order.... I'm not interested in the Xcom game and was wondering if its already in your steam library if you get it with steam...the 30$ sk store credit at amazon is looking good.... not sure what to do...

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
I'm absolutely loving this game. It's beating Bioshock in terms of pure enjoyment and gameplay and rivalling it in atmosphere and design so far. We'll have to see where it ends up on story.

five hours in... 100% GOTY material.

My heart still pumping for 30 minutes after (not so far after the beginning)
you save the girl... that sequence and the next one are unbelievable

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I think australia unlocks the earliest on steam. Anyone know how many days and hours left?

Salsa

not sure if I should play the game on Hard at first and leave 1999 mode for a second playthrough or just go full on 1999 at first.

Im not sure if i'd want to replay it right away but not leaving any incentive to do so might also not be a good idea

decisions decisions

so guys where is the best place to per-order.... I'm not interested in the Xcom game and was wondering if its already in your steam library if you get it with steam...the 30$ sk store credit at amazon is looking good.... not sure what to do...

the amazon deal gives you a steam code to redeem. If you already own the game you can always just give the code away, or trade or whatnot. It isn;t tied to your Steam account until you redeem it

Benedict

You get X-com as a steam-code available on your amazon.com account, so you can give it to a friend or lover if you already have the game.

Top Bottom