• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

MormaPope

Banned
For me, the story in Bioshock 1 wasn't very good. The atmosphere and environment were excellent, but the story was pretty damn simple and the twist didn't really have much payoff after what was revealed.

From what I've seen from Infinite it looks like there's much more characterization and actual plot. Some people say the story in MGS2 is convoluted, while I found the story in that to be excellent. It feels like many people gauge a videogame story based on how good a story twist is.

2013-03-2320_58_38-kemquno.png

Jesus fucking christ, if Workaholics or It's Always Sunny had a roofie joke people would laugh or not even mind. The idea that game designers have to be patron saints and act as nice and clean as possible is starting to get really tiring.

Going by this it seems like I'd just need to upgrade the graphics card, but I'm assuming there's more to it than just plugging in a shiny new card, like it'd have to depend on my motherboard right? I know very very little about upgrading PC's but if all I'd have to do is get a new card I'd go buy one yesterday.

http://i.imgur.com/b9Fx7MP.png

How is that a rape joke?

Roofie is short for rohypnol, a drug used to render someone unconscious or unaware of his or her surroundings. Used when raping someone, because the person in question won't remember it afterwards.

I can see the "take a joke" point of view, but I personally would shy away from that kind of humor.

S1kkZ

i love this game. i guess i am almost halfway (judging by the giant bomb ken levine interview)

-using the powers feels much better than it did in bioshock. also a much better combat flow in general.

-graphics are great on 360. some minor issues here and there but mostly it just looks good (thanks to the fantastic art design and use of lighting).

-the framerate is a mess in the first hour but after that: mostly 30 fps. it drops heavily when you do a melee attack (which is weird) but aside from that? mostly smooth with no tearing.
i hope it stays that way.

-combat situations in general feel much better and more interesting than bs 1+2. some areas are simplay amazing with all the combat options.

-story is great so far, nothing convoluted about it.

Anton668

Same. I had a phenom 955 in it until about 4 months ago and it shouldn't have choked my 670 but it was. Switching to a 3570k allowed my system to really breathe more. No problems with any games now thank God.
Not boasting or anything but it's a good feeling knowing you don't have to worry if your system can run a game well.

pretty much same as I. went from a 965BE to a 3770K just in case. got it for about the same price as a 3570K from microcenter so it was a no brainer

SmithnCo

Roofie is short for rohypnol, a drug used to render someone unconscious or unaware of his or her surroundings. Used when raping someone, because the person in question won't remember it afterwards.

I can see the "take a joke" point of view, but I personally would shy away from that kind of humor.

I know what a roofie is, but he didn't really make reference to rape.

Going by this it seems like I'd just need to upgrade the graphics card, but I'm assuming there's more to it than just plugging in a shiny new card, like it'd have to depend on my motherboard right? I know very very little about upgrading PC's but if all I'd have to do is get a new card I'd go buy one yesterday.

The motherboard doesn't matter as much as you'd think for just a GPU upgrade. As long as the mobo has a x16 slot it should be relatively fine. What motherboard is it do you know?

Xater

quoting myself for new page :)

Looking at the trophies this should end up in the 12-15 hours ballpark.

For me, the story in Bioshock 1 wasn't very good. The atmosphere and environment were excellent, but the story was pretty damn simple and the twist didn't really have much payoff after what was revealed.

From what I've seen from Infinite it looks like there's much more characterization and actual plot. Some people say the story in MGS2 is convoluted, while I found the story in that to be excellent. It feels like many people gauge a videogame story based on how good a story twist is.

I like MGS2's story. At some point it just seems this game looses it's through line and throws a bunch of shit at you without explaining anything. MGS2's story always had a core that made sense.

BobTheSpy

Banned

Honestly, what matters most isn't your motherboard or whatever (I practically guarantee you you have a PCI 2.0 slot), but your power supply. Do you know how many watts it is?

Vire

i love this game. i guess i am almost halfway (judging by the giant bomb ken levine interview)

-using the powers feels much better than it did in bioshock. also a much better combat flow in general.

-graphics are fantastic on 360. some minor issues here and there but mostly stunning.

-the framerate is a mess in the first hour but after that: mostly 30 fps. it drops heavily when you do a melee attack (which is weird) but aside from that? mostly smooth with no tearing.
i hope it stays that way.

-combat situations in general feel much better and more interesting than bs 1+2. some areas are simplay amazing with all the combat options.

-story is great so far, nothing convoluted about it.

Hell yeah!

So jealous of you guys who got it early... I'm almost tempted to research some local mom and pop shops....

The motherboard doesn't matter as much as you'd think for just a GPU upgrade. As long as the mobo has a x16 slot it should be relatively fine. What motherboard is it do you know?

http://www.computershopper.com/desktops/reviews/gateway-dx4820-02

This is the one I have... not sure what the motherboard is tbh, sorry

edit: Bob, it says the power supply is 300 watts, but I had it replaced about a year ago due to overheating so I'm not sure if what's in there now is better or worse.

I like MGS2, but Bioshock Infinite reminds me more of MGS4 in how it piled twists upon twists with bombastic action in the background. Also, while Bioshock 1 had one good twist, the twists in Bioshock Infinite made me cringe.

Edit: I've misread your post, sorry.

Anton668

Going by this it seems like I'd just need to upgrade the graphics card, but I'm assuming there's more to it than just plugging in a shiny new card,

honestly, not much.

like it'd have to depend on my motherboard right? I know very very little about upgrading PC's but if all I'd have to do is get a new card I'd go buy one yesterday.

willing to wager you would have to look at your power supply before looking at your MB depending on what GPU you would upgrade to

Toparaman

Banned
I have no fucking faith in humanity these days....
it's like they lash back at stuff like this so they seem smarter and more moral than they actually are. Ken Levine is the man and he could say he murdered someone and I was still love his fuzzy little face

Wow. Uh, overreaction to an overreaction much?

Boy, I sure do love the gaming community! They're either lavishing gushing praise or calling for someone's head. (And it's usually the same person doing both. Just wait. In a few weeks jacksepticeye will be calling Levine a hack and a con artist.)

Fwiw, I think Levine's joke was kinda lame, but it certainly wasn't condoning rape.

I like MGS2, but Bioshock Infinite reminds me more of MGS4 in how it piled twists upon twists with bombastic action in the background. Also, while Bioshock 1 had one good twist, the twists in Bioshock Infinite made me cringe.

To be honest: After around 2.5h of playing the game, I still only have rudimental knowledge of what is actually is going on. Except for that I'm playing a former Pinkerton-agent who's trying to rescue a girl and shoots stuff.

It's like I'm actually on GAF!

It does read very much like a GAF thread
Wow. Uh, overreaction to an overreaction much?

Boy, I sure do love the gaming community! They're either lavishing gushing praise or calling for someone's head. (And it's usually the same person doing both. Just wait. In a few weeks jacksepticeye will be calling Levine a hack and a con artist.)

Of course it's an overreaction, I'm on the internet, what do you expect? would you have read my comment otherwise? :p
And I doubt it, Never had any problems with Ken, he's always delivered the goods

Zeliard

To be honest: After around 2.5h of playing the game, I still only have rudimental knowledge of what is actually is going on. Except for that I'm playing a former Pinkerton-agent who's trying to rescue a girl and shoots stuff.

Are you listening to the audio logs? If it's anything like the previous Shocks then a lot of the story will be communicated through those.

The first third of the game is the best part, in my opinion, even though you have no idea what's going on. It's easy and you just walk around and discover Columbia. The middle part is when the useless subplots take place and the game feels really boring. Then there's the final part which has more climaxes than a James Cameron movie, twist after twists and everything gets much faster - you don't really have time to breathe until the final reveals/exposition and BAM! It's over, leaving you thinking 'what the hell did I just play?'.

Anton668

http://www.computershopper.com/desktops/reviews/gateway-dx4820-02

This is the one I have... not sure what the motherboard is tbh, sorry

edit: Bob, it says the power supply is 300 watts, but I had it replaced about a year ago due to overheating so I'm not sure if what's in there now is better or worse.

bets you can do for now is pop the side off and look at the label on the PSU. if they replaced it with a same watt PSU then you need to upgrade. but remember, its a gateway, so... its only worth putting so much into it before it becomes better to build a better one

Are you listening to the audio logs? If it's anything like the previous Shocks then a lot of the story will be communicated through those.

I did, but I still find the story not as intuitive as the one of BS1.
Many (exceptional) things are just there, but they don't describe in a (for me) satisfying way how it started.

I have this motherboard, I believe...

Literally sounds like my only real problems are the video card and MAYBE the power supply, but I have no idea what it is. I know the original PSU was 300 watts, but it was replaced, so it may be better.

bets you can do for now is pop the side off and look at the label on the PSU. if they replaced it with a same watt PSU then you need to upgrade. but remember, its a gateway, so... its only worth putting so much into it before it becomes better to build a better one

Thanks, I'll do that. :)

The first third of the game is the best part, in my opinion, even though you have no idea what's going on. It's easy and you just walk around and discover Columbia. The middle part is when the useless subplots take place and the game feels really boring. Then there's the final part which has more climaxes than a James Cameron movie, twist after twists and everything gets much faster - you don't really have time to breathe until the final reveals/exposition and BAM! It's over, leaving you thinking 'what the hell did I just play?'.

Oh man/uh oh.

Anton668

dLMN8R

Oh boy, I can't wait for blogs to post about that Ken Levine tweet and then for someone on NeoGAF to make a thread about it and then pages and pages and pages of horrible discussion and Bioshock Infinite boycotts to take place afterward.

solarus

Serious question?

Why did you get Infinite if you didn't like Bioshock in the first place...
Because this game looks promising and seemed to have improved on the original and addressed some of it's weaknesses. Also i love the art direction and world design. I'm still hoping that I won't be disappointed come tuesday. Also if you listen to levine he keeps talking up how it's almost a completely different game save for bioshock in the title, in that giantbomb video he talks about the delta from the original to infinite being enormous. So, I don't see how it's strange at all for people who disliked the first to be interested in this game especially with all the hyperbole levine has been handing out.

TedNindo

Man people have such thin skin these days. So intolerant over the tiniest things. And these are ironically usually the people who advocate tolerance and progressiveness. I guess most of these people would die from a heart attack when they leave their protective bubble and enter the real and uncensored world

Man people have such thin skin these days. So intolerant over the tiniest things. And these are ironically usually the people who advocate tolerance and progressiveness. I guess most of these people would die from a heart attack when they leave their protective bubble and enter the real and uncensored world

I don't think they're as sensitive as they make out online.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
So I have a shitty computer, and have resorted to watching gameplay videos under the illusion that I am playing..

Did anyone else get a chill when
the chair thing says "Hallelujah" after the city is visible?

So fucking cool.

Toparaman

Banned
While I'm not that sensitive to all the critiquing going around by people who have already played Infinite, there are other people who'll flip their shit if they read some of the stuff that's been posted.

Top Bottom