• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

Can somebody help me out here with this early part from Questionable Ethics. Please put the answer in spoilers.

hl22012-09-1610-08-332us63.jpg

max-pain

I am in the complete opposite camp. The soldiers are easy as shit, I can easily take down 3 soldiers with one SMG mag. Though I'm playing on the default difficulty so maybe that plays a role. I'm finding this to be much easier than the original HL and I replayed through that 3 months ago.

The default difficulty is "Easy"...

There's a part pretty early on when you have to find a hiding scientist and bring him to a security room full of ammo so he can open the door.

I was bringing him along the catwalk to get there, and while he walked over a toolbox he apparently caused it to physics out and his entire body just exploded into gibs. It was very shocking and I couldn't stop laughing for a minute or two, good to see a lot of the hilarious physics glitches from HL2 are in!

Tacitus_

Can somebody help me out here with this early part from Questionable Ethics. Please put the answer in spoilers.

Climb.
up the shelves and over the fence

The problem with them is that they are just plain old boring AI as usual. Slowly creep around a corner and blast one in the head with the revolver. The other 5 in the room don't even care. Plant a bunch of trip wires and go hide. They will stare at them for a minute and then run through them. The moment you enter their line of site and they are alerted though, they instant 360 noscope headshot you for ~40 armor damage before you can even get your gun up.

I don't even see the point of armor because you lose it all after one encounter unless you save and reload like a fiend. I remember in the first game, I couldn't hide. They would grenade me and flush me out. In this one they all pile up in a narrow door while I pick them off.

I can't really fault the developers here, it's a free mod. I just don't think the AI should be given much credit, it's standard fare at best.

Well yes, but he was saying that he didn't understand our bitching about the soldiers difficulty. They're mean sons of bitches on hard.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Just joining the thread. Played up to Blast Pit yesterday and had a good time. I first played through Half-Life on a PS2 with a strange lock-on control scheme. Never played Half-Life: Source. Played Half-Life 2 on an Xbox. I never had a gaming level PC until a couple of years ago. Never played the two episodes either.

So I was going to use this thing as an excuse to replay the whole series on PC. But did I read the whole thing ain't done? Where does
It stop?

I was surprised to find controller support in this, though I wish I could remap those buttons.

Razek

Banned
Climb.
up the shelves and over the fence

Well yes, but he was saying that he didn't understand our bitching about the soldiers difficulty. They're mean sons of bitches on hard.

I was just going in to edit that it wasn't aimed at his comment exactly but got beaten to it lol.

CMDBob

Shoot that metal bar in the power box. The fence will turn off and the gate will open.

I've just finished playing the mod and my god is it good. It feels so cohesive, the art style stays consistently good and it's just fun. I'm glad they cut On A Rail down, too as that took far too long and was so confusing, and the other new bits just work. They make HL1, a good game, just that bit better.

Just joining the thread. Played up to Blast Pit yesterday and had a good time. I first played through Half-Life on a PS2 with a strange lock-on control scheme. Never played Half-Life: Source. Played Half-Life 2 on an Xbox. I never had a gaming level PC until a couple of years ago. Never played the two episodes either.

So I was going to use this thing as an excuse to replay the whole series on PC. But did I read the whole thing ain't done? Where does
It stop?

I was surprised to find controller support in this, though I wish I could remap those buttons.

The last couple chapters of the game take a very different direction both gameplay-wise and level design-wise. It's only about an hour's worth of the game though, and is generally thought of as one of the worse parts of the game.

It's probably not gonna be completely done for several months, but honestly you're not really missing anything by not playing it. I say just watch the end of the game starting with "Xen" on YouTube if you really wanna see it, or otherwise just skip to HL2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The guards aren't given names in HL1, it's not until Blue Shift that Barney [and Otis] really become characters in the mythos.

"Barney's name stemmed from the earlier alpha versions of Half-Life in which the model for the security guards held a resemblance to actor Don Knotts, inspiring comparisons with Knotts's character "Barney Fife" from The Andy Griffith Show, which in the United States has long been a disparaging term for an inept policeman or security guard. Initially, the "Barneys" were intended to be hostile NPCs who would attack the player."

It was always Barney everywhere. Blue Shift isn't officially canon.

"Barney's name stemmed from the earlier alpha versions of Half-Life in which the model for the security guards held a resemblance to actor Don Knotts, inspiring comparisons with Knotts's character "Barney Fife" from The Andy Griffith Show, which in the United States has long been a disparaging term for an inept policeman or security guard. Initially, the "Barneys" were intended to be hostile NPCs who would attack the player."

It was always Barney everywhere. Blue Shift isn't officially canon.

No, I'm pretty sure Blue Shift has always been canon. Opposing Force is questionable as to whether or not it's canon, but it doesn't make much sense for BS to not be when the main character who was only named in that game appears in HL2, and it doesn't conflict with anything else in the series.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
No, I'm pretty sure Blue Shift has always been canon. Opposing Force is questionable as to whether or not it's canon, but it doesn't make much sense for BS to not be when the main character who was only named in that game appears in HL2, and it doesn't conflict with anything else in the series.

The only part of the expansions that Valve has actually confirmed as canon was the destruction of Black Mesa in Opposing Force. They haven't ever referenced anything else from the expansions. Plus the events of Blue Shift don't really align that well with the dialogue between Gordon and Barney in HL2.

teokrazia

I'm sad they didn't put HL1 physics back tbh. I hope they do it for HLDM.

Ye.
Will be very interesting to see in which way they'll tweak HLDM.
I loved HL1 for your same reasons, but I prefered the HL2 set of movements. More 'grip', you know. :)

Axial

The makers of this mod did really a wonderful job. The great thing about it is that besides the obvious graphical upgrade the core gameplay mechanics stayed practically the same as in 1998, and still this game is soo much more fun and engaging then most present FPS productions. Even though I played the original back and forth when it was released, this remake still manages to keep me on the edge of my seat and some sections feel almost like a survival horror game.

I am in the complete opposite camp. The soldiers are easy as shit, I can easily take down 3 soldiers with one SMG mag. Though I'm playing on the default difficulty so maybe that plays a role. I'm finding this to be much easier than the original HL and I replayed through that 3 months ago.

Put it on 'normal'. Default is set to 'easy'.

The default difficulty is "Easy"...
Makes a lot of sense. I figured on default it'd be normal. I normally choose hard on all my games, but being as I wasn't given an initiall choice, and didn't care to look into the options menu because I was having a good ass time just soaking in the atmosphere it make sense why the soldiers were so easy to face roll through.

Anilusion

So I'm at the first "boss",
I climbed down some ladder and turned on a giant fan, and now I can't get up
. What to do?

Dipswitch

I've been waiting for this forever and was also extremely skeptical it would ever see the light of day after all the delays. Never been so happy to eat a slice of crow.

Haven't had a chance to grab it yet, but I dare say it's next on my play through list.

Jharp

Anyone getting notably slow installation speeds?

It gets up to about 75% and then just slows to a crawl where only about half a dozen files will get through every two minutes or so. Had the installer open for about 30 minutes before I realized it was still installing, closed out, and tried again with the same result.

I'm going to try extracting the files directly to the sourcemods folder but I hear that results in the mod not showing up in the Steam list.

Jackpot

Banned
Replaying reminds me why I was one of the few that didn't like Half Life 2's new setting. Jumping 10 years into the future to face a new, previously unmentioned enemy. Shoehorning in characters like Dr Breen. I like my government labs, not dilipadated Russian cities.

eot

Banned
There's an ambush before lambda complex where you're popping in and out of sewer tunnels like a game of whack-a-mole, but the effect is ruined because the moment you stick your head above ground every soldier will instantly zero in on your position and start firing.

Yeah that was the point when I had enough of the soldier AI. I really like that encounter in HL1 but in BM I had to cheese it. I disagree with you about the assassins though, I found them quite challenging (especially the second time).

A few random things:
-There's an achievement for killing an Itchyosaur with the Gauss OR Gluon gun, but I don't see how you could accomplish it with the latter.
-You get Snarks way too late, there aren't enough opportunities to use them on Grunts.
-The weapon selection being relative to your current weapon is a bit annoying. If I double tap '3' I want the shotgun every time.
-
They cut quite a bit of "Surface Tension" near the end it felt like. I only saw a single organic jump pad thing and I miss the 'scene' where you jump into a pipe, a soldier throws a satchel charge in and you have to get out of there.

Razek

Banned
Can't, it kills me.

Like other posters said, just click and sprint for that ladder. I hated this part too because the first time I made it by a mile but still died on the ladder, which made me think there was something more to it. No, it was just a glitch, keep trying that ladder.

Just started On A Rail.

I often think of Half-Life 2 as being my favourite game of all time. I'm not exactly sure why and can't express my feelings for that game, but I guess it's because of my memories of the first time playing through that game: it was like nothing I'd ever played before and it blew my young mind.

My dad managed to pick up Half-Life Generations after I completed Half-Life 2, but the original Half-Life just didn't have the same atmosphere I was looking for. Also it was bloody difficult for me at the time. (I was 11 in 2004!)

I think I remember only getting up to the end of On A Rail in the original, which is where I am at in Black Mesa now.

I have to say, I'm starting to think Black Mesa is greater than Half-Life 2. I think I'm starting to understand why some people think the original is better than 2; whereas before I just thought Half-Life 2 was the best thing ever.

If Black Mesa gets any better, I may consider it one of my favourite games ever.

I just wish Half-Life 3 was out by now.

spirity

Anyone getting notably slow installation speeds?

It gets up to about 75% and then just slows to a crawl where only about half a dozen files will get through every two minutes or so. Had the installer open for about 30 minutes before I realized it was still installing, closed out, and tried again with the same result.

I'm going to try extracting the files directly to the sourcemods folder but I hear that results in the mod not showing up in the Steam list.

It didn't take me as long as 30mins, but it was an unusually long install with periods where it seemed nothing was happening at all.

So what are the settings I should have gameplay wise to make this play as close as possible to Half Life original?

I say just leave all of the BM options as they are. The point is this is an updated version of Half-Life with some modern game design twists. Enjoy it for that reason.

tci

Great mod. Finished it now. It's kind of funny how this game still beats todays FPS games. It got immersion, suspense, action, puzzles, and a great story.

The only bad thing is that it makes me want HL3 even more :(

Sianos

Amazing how a game from 1998 remade by a die-hard group of fans manages is still one of the greatest FPS games of all time. Absolutely loving it, hope they finish improving Xen soon enough.

Top Bottom