• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

KingKong

So I just started playing (about an hour in) and how close is this to the original?

I haven't replayed it in a few years but I don't think remember stuff like the little frozen rooms with the blown containers but like, what about the part where you get the scientist to open the security room to pick up the pistol, did that happen in the original too?

When I reunited one of the guards with his pal and he unlocked the armoury, I felt like a kid who won a shopping spree at a toy store. Running through all the aisles picking up everything blindly.

I haven't replayed it in a few years but I don't think remember stuff like the little frozen rooms with the blown containers but like, what about the part where you get the scientist to open the security room to pick up the pistol, did that happen in the original too?
The scientist and security room were there in the original to stock up on items, but you got the pistol way before then. Right after the cascade, going up the lift and meeting the first living guard shooting at a zombie, you'll run across a dead guard with a pistol dropped.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So I just started playing (about an hour in) and how close is this to the original?

I'd say it's about 70% the exact same, 25% similar and 5% completely different. Yeah, getting the scientist to open the security room was in the original. Just an optional little side area to get some pistol ammo and grenades.

hlhbk

Some screenshots of similar places in half life source and Black Mesa Source in the beginning part of the game. Needless to say Black Mesa source is awesome and should have been the remake in Half-Life Source.

HLS

35ebdabdb91d1ecd4003417424753519e5670d96.jpg

BMS

ef2c006068ddb863d6337e8720168f4a848e4605.jpg

HLS

e30b0321ea8fd304e20a476ca2833bf191ad7a10.jpg

BMS

52cf55c550f4b3d62d00f6b1a5d97f8f183c868a.jpg

HLS

77bf3ad1ac3f8e8ee40dae8f2e35a31c98b9aec9.jpg

BMS

9d938d2a702542bb2d6a5020deba7a3d92783731.jpg

HLS

58835b727002314dd0bf2abd8ed152801dd110da.jpg

BMS

864d58394773387b4815a5ec1053d95b0e7cf29e.jpg

HLS

46e2788bc21937e99230fc3a759087d802f559a7.jpg

BMS

ffd99f9d153913eb5910d99c28e3d7ce50ad2a54.jpg

HLS

c623bdae8700ba383b632cccf8e6a665e3cd0144.jpg

BMS

873ce62ddc5e9d140c5a303b7f9ef94fd2b94679.jpg

HLS

6f09b3f81f7ede8323cfb504e01ad8a47e41ff4e.jpg

BMS

3d64be08f7946a99dc1930a5de9f039db7e0b9ae.jpg

HLS

a4ba39a50c96f63df054655ed149d7b7d9df3194.jpg

BMS

7d9c6fcf51bc801754960eff617623f223a38c2f.jpg

HLS

10138e55d4148e2b86ca752ce9318390426e6776.jpg

BMS

21c620ac20ab79086e99e4d54e9e796a309972d6.jpg

HLS

f03f168482c8447081ef0c812a99a31609b61824.jpg

BMS

ac36ac7ac30e7edd93130296bdb3aae14082f40b.jpg

Jintor

When I reunited one of the guards with his pal and he unlocked the armoury, I felt like a kid who won a shopping spree at a toy store. Running through all the aisles picking up everything blindly.

Holy shit at the lasermine warehouse though. The marines who set that up must've been balls out crazy.

jediyoshi

I am clicking on it and don't see it normal size?

EDIT

Nevermind it's IE9 being stupid.

It's a pretty broken feature. Doesn't work in IE. In Chrome it only expands to the width it can fit in. In Firefox it properly expands to original size.

calder

It's a pretty broken feature. Doesn't work in IE. In Chrome it only expands to the width it can fit in. In Firefox it properly expands to original size.

Yeah it's kinda annoying in Chrome especially because it shows you part of the screen but if you move your mouse it goes back to the thumbnail so you can't really scroll the image at all.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Right click, open image in new tab.

There. Done.

ON a related note this game is pretty damn fun. Only played an hour of 1 before but loved half life 2.

Sethos

Banned
Yeah it's kinda annoying in Chrome especially because it shows you part of the screen but if you move your mouse it goes back to the thumbnail so you can't really scroll the image at all.

Hold down the button while scrolling works fine for me in Chrome

MNC

Im amazed at how small the areas are in hl1 during the intro tram sequence. I thought fordure the bms sizes were the same as hl1.

Dilly

Banned
This is just of unbelievable quality coming from people who did this for free in their spare time.

I'd gladly pay €30 for this.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
The difficutly's currently taking it's tole on me. Last night rage quit at the "Take me with you, I'm the only one who knows everything!" Scientist (i remember the quote well, as i heard it like 20 times). Even turned it down to easy, man it's making me feel like a huge noob :(

Characters have been fantastic so far though, how they've managed to differentiate the scientists this time and done a great job of making young (both legged) Eli and Kleiner.

MrBig

The difficutly's currently taking it's tole on me. Last night rage quit at the "Take me with you, I'm the only one who knows everything!" Scientist (i remember the quote well, as i heard it like 20 times). Even turned it down to easy, man it's making me feel like a huge noob :(

Characters have been fantastic so far though, how they've managed to differentiate the scientists this time and done a great job of making young (both legged) Eli and Kleiner.

What? I'm way past that part and haven't seen Eli/Kleiner

Cindres

What? I'm way past that part and haven't seen Eli/Kleiner

Eli is referred to by name, Kleiner looks like a slightly younger version of himself from HL2. You meet them before and after the resonance cascade. Eli's the one who gives you access to the observation/control room where the laser shoots through the "window".

olore

So from everyone hatin` to everyone lovin`?

And Valve should just direct some of their resources at the BM team and help them finish their project off properly.

Riggs

Banned
I just got past the scene
where the mortars are coming down and you really just need to get the fuck out, duck into the vent etc. The explosion after you get underground.
God damn!!! I am having so much fun man.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Black Mesa Source hard mode beaten. 230 am now where i live, time for bed.

That was a grand adventure. That credits music...

Alfredo

I find it kind of odd that so many people are having trouble with the crouch jump. I remember it being a pretty common maneuver in the original game. Of course, I had trouble with the concept back then, also.

I guess they should've remade the Hazard Course, too. :p

wwm0nkey

Ok I am at the part right after you get out of the sewers and it wants you to go under those 3 pillars that slam into you.....I can not for the life of me get past them, any tips?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I find it kind of odd that so many people are having trouble with the crouch jump. I remember it being a pretty common maneuver in the original game. Of course, I had trouble with the concept back then, also.

Took me awhile to get used to it. Didn't know you have to move forward for it to work.

Cindres

Had to get used to the crouch jump, I don't think it felt like this in HL. Once I got the hang of it it's not really been an issue anymore.

MrBig

Eli is referred to by name, Kleiner looks like a slightly younger version of himself from HL2. You meet them before and after the resonance cascade. Eli's the one who gives you access to the observation/control room where the laser shoots through the "window".

I overlooked that, then. Will have to go back when I finish the game.

Ok I am at the part right after you get out of the sewers and it wants you to go under those 3 pillars that slam into you.....I can not for the life of me get past them, any tips?

If I'm remembering correctly from how it was in HL1
there is a button somewhere in the room that changes the direction of the conveyer belts

This is a great mod. The team really pulled together and delivered with the awesome. The graphics are great, voice work is serviceable, controls are tight, music is done very very well. I really am impressed. I didn't have the highest expectations, and it has completely passed them 10X over. What impresses me the most is that the levels are reworked just enough that they are familiar, but different enough to seem new. They found the perfect balance and it just genuinely feels like this is the way it should have been.

My one and only complaint with this mod, is the damn crouch jumping. Jumping itself is essentially useless, almost every jump needs to be a crouch jump. If you can't adapt to that, or don't see yourself being able to do crouch jumping repeatedly, you will hate this mod. If they upped the jumping height just a teensy ennsy bit, this mod will be almost perfect.

That aside, this is a great mod.

Haunted

Yeah, as someone who was extremely skeptical that we were ever going to get to play this, I have to give credit where credit is due. This seems like a really good HD adaptation of Half Life 1.

MNC

It's a good spot, I always imagined Eli to be that one (Being that he got hurt and couldn't walk alot, so his leg had to be amputated in HL2) I love the way Kleiner is (and sounds, too. Very good impression!)

Kleiner I always imagined to be the scientist that sends you to Xen. I haven't completed BMS, but have they gotten that fact 'right'? Also Barney should be there as well.

Jintor

Just finished Lambda Core. Man, games were so long back in the day. Rad as hell. I had my doubts, but this is excellent.

I just wish the scientists had more voices. And I reckon they needed better signposting since the increased visual fidelity kind of destroys some of the old school directioneering. Still... rad as shite.

Top Bottom