• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

verbatimo

I don't understand the critic about this game being too difficult. I'm playing on normal and challenge has been quite right. Fightning against marines is fun.

Black Mesa really reinforces just how crappy modern FPS have become, where well designed, sprawling and interconnected levels that reward exploration and provide interesting combat situations have been replaced by linear corridor based cover shooters.

Maybe it because all these COD type shooters with regenerating health and all that shit. I can't play them very long before they start to bore me. BMS is a like dear old friend from the
past.

I like it old school.

Jintor

Regenerating health sucks.

I was kicking it on 3hp and 45 suit armour throughout half of lambda complex. Fucking hell the game gets tense as fuck when a single mistake will send you back to your last quicksave/autosave.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Up to We've Got Hostiles! and so far I'm really, really impressed. It's exceedingly polished and consistent for fan work.

gabbo

It's a good spot, I always imagined Eli to be that one (Being that he got hurt and couldn't walk alot, so his leg had to be amputated in HL2) I love the way Kleiner is (and sounds, too. Very good impression!)

Kleiner I always imagined to be the scientist that sends you to Xen. I haven't completed BMS, but have they gotten that fact 'right'? Also Barney should be there as well.

Barney's absence is mentioned literally as soon as you step off the tram in the first moments of the game.

As for crouch jump, it doesn't have the same feel as the original (where is was basically olympic long jump mode), but it's still effective here.
Oh to experience Hl for the first time all over again...

Alastor

One of best gaming experiences I've had this year, can't believe it's free.

I've played the first HL, but never completed it and remember pretty much only the beginning, so the later stages are like a completely new HL game to me. Awesome.

Tehalemi

Up to We've Got Hostiles! and so far I'm really, really impressed. It's exceedingly polished and consistent for fan work.

I can't count how many times this game makes me smile. :)

Also, for those that can't be with us on the journey for whatever reason, I'm continuing to screenshot it as best I can for you to witness how things are going.

Don't enter if you don't want spoilers.

Where I am so far...

The screenshot hub from the community...

eot

Banned
Forgot to take a screenshot but:
In the upper floor with all the lasers in "Questionable Ethics" there's a broken TV that says "FONY" instead of "SONY".

nan0

Uh, anyone also experience a crash at the second Apache in Surface Tension? Beside that this battle is the only poorly designed so far, the game keeps crashing when I get on low health there.

Jb

This is a weird game.

It's incredibly well made and polished for a mod, but as a HL1 remake there are so many little (and big) differences with the original in the layouts and the way the weapons feel that it doesn't elicit nostalgia for me at all. I imagine it must be like playing Twin Snakes after having completed MGS1 a dozen times.

I'm still enjoying playing through it, but I don't think it's a better version over the original release.

This is a weird game.

It's incredibly well made and polished for a mod, but as a HL1 remake there are so many little (and big) differences with the original in the layouts and the way the weapons feel that it doesn't elicit nostalgia for me at all. I imagine it must be like playing Twin Snakes after having completed MGS1 a dozen times.

I'm still enjoying playing through it, but I don't think it's a better version over the original release.

I couldn't disagree more. I think they struck a really great balance between old and new. Everything is recognizable right away and the new while not abundant means you don't already know how to play it from start to finish, but it still keeps the same HL1 feel. Weapons don't feel much different to me either, maybe just a little faster. The accuracy and recoil are spot on.

Yeah, I agree. It's a pitch perfect update and I really don't see any reason to play the original over it now.

I wonder what Valve thinks of it. I bet they're impressed as hell.

Anyone else plan on playing HL2 and it's two episodes right after this? I feel like it has to be done yet again, love HL2 immensely.

Alienups

Anyone else plan on playing HL2 and it's two episodes right after this? I feel like it has to be done yet again, love HL2 immensely.

It wasn't my plan but i don't think i'll be able to help myself.

I would have gladly put down 20 to 30 bucks for this. Really impressed how faithful it is to the original. The new textures and stuff enhance the atmosphere so much.

And like someone else mentioned, i'd like to know what Valve thinks of this.

IUCN has just classified Crows as a vulnerable species :/

spirity

The soldiers do a lot of damage. A lot. I know my senses have dulled over the years but I don't remember them being this hard, I guess they've had a boost. I'm having to be very careful but I'm really digging it.

Oh, btw has any UK Gaffer seen the
Chuckle Brothers mug
easter egg yet?

Tacitus_

Hmmh, ran into a nasty bug. The floor isn't properly solid and everything thrown or ragdolled falls through it. It also causes my rockets to warp through the tank that's shooting at me.

Jintor

The soldiers do a lot of damage. A lot. I know my senses have dulled over the years but I don't remember them being this hard, I guess they've had a boost. I'm having to be very careful but I'm really digging it.

Oh, btw has any UK Gaffer seen the
Chuckle Brothers mug
easter egg yet?

They're even more goddamn reactive then they used to be.

Actually I think the assassins got toned down instead to compensate... had zero trouble with any sasswots.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jesus fucking christ soldiers deal way too much damage and have bullshit aimbot accuracy.

MNC

Barney's absence is mentioned literally as soon as you step off the tram in the first moments of the game.

As for crouch jump, it doesn't have the same feel as the original (where is was basically olympic long jump mode), but it's still effective here.
Oh to experience Hl for the first time all over again...

Well yeah.. But but that doesn't necessarily mean he shouldn't show up :(

Well technically, it should. Since Blue Shift doesn't have Barney meet up with Gordon in the end.

Jintor

There's an ambush before lambda complex where you're popping in and out of sewer tunnels like a game of whack-a-mole, but the effect is ruined because the moment you stick your head above ground every soldier will instantly zero in on your position and start firing.

RooMHM

Does anybody know the codes for binding individual weapons? I know them for HL1 and HL2 but are they the same for Source? Can you bind weapons? Thanks

Randdalf

Isn't Barney the guard pounding on the door during the tram ride? I don't know if Blue Shift is canon or not, but that's where he is according to that expansion pack.

Jesus fucking christ soldiers deal way too much damage and have bullshit aimbot accuracy.

Yeah, i am sort of regreting putting the game on hard. I just went through most of the first wave of marines and they are kicking my ass but i just doubled down on being as quick as possible to fire at them. Also, i used a fire door to my advantage by killing one marine as the door closed and when i opened it, rolled a grenade under the door to blow one of them up and knocked one of them to the lower level making it easier to get past them haha.

There's an ambush before lambda complex where you're popping in and out of sewer tunnels like a game of whack-a-mole, but the effect is ruined because the moment you stick your head above ground every soldier will instantly zero in on your position and start firing.

I remember this part i believe and yeah, not looking forward to doing it.

Isn't Barney the guard pounding on the door during the tram ride? I don't know if Blue Shift is canon or not, but that's where he is according to that expansion pack.

Yes that is Barney Calhoun. (Although his Beer line in HL2 references the line of a different guard, but hey, maybe lots of guards owe him a beer.)

Does the name Barney actually appear in HL1? Apart from asset names etc.

Tacitus_

And kill you in about two seconds if you're playing on hard. I came up next to the exit, mp5-naded the first group and made a mad dash for the gateroom.

I am in the complete opposite camp. The soldiers are easy as shit, I can easily take down 3 soldiers with one SMG mag. Though I'm playing on the default difficulty so maybe that plays a role. I'm finding this to be much easier than the original HL and I replayed through that 3 months ago.

1-D_FTW

What happened to the haters?

If you're talking about all the trolling bullshit they were actively engaged in with their fans, I don't take back a single word I ever said about them. After a while, only a fool would have believed a single word they said.

Having said that, from what I've played so far, it's pretty fucking awesome. They may have been world class trolls, but they seem to have delivered an awesome piece of software despite it.

gabbo

Yes that is Barney Calhoun. (Although his Beer line in HL2 references the line of a different guard, but hey, maybe lots of guards owe him a beer.)

Does the name Barney actually appear in HL1? Apart from asset names etc.

The guards aren't given names in HL1, it's not until Blue Shift that Barney [and Otis] really become characters in the mythos.

Tacitus_

I am in the complete opposite camp. The soldiers are easy as shit, I can easily take down 3 soldiers with one SMG mag. Though I'm playing on the default difficulty so maybe that plays a role. I'm finding this to be much easier than the original HL and I replayed through that 3 months ago.

Pump it up to hard, I dare you. A single soldier will own your ass.

gabbo

If you're talking about all the trolling bullshit they were actively engaged in with their fans, I don't take back a single word I ever said about them. After a while, only a fool would have believed a single word they said.

Having said that, from what I've played so far, it's pretty fucking awesome. They may have been world class trolls, but they seem to have delivered an awesome piece of software despite it.

Is it even the same team members at this point? I mean they had a self-imposed silence for a long time.

Two nice touches I found.

Glad I'm not alone in looking at every single scrap on paper to see if their are little injokes hidden on them.

Two nice touches I found.

hl22012-09-1609-09-17aqsde.jpg

hl22012-09-1610-00-2948fya.jpg

Razek

Banned
Pump it up to hard, I dare you. A single soldier will own your ass.

The problem with them is that they are just plain old boring AI as usual. Slowly creep around a corner and blast one in the head with the revolver. The other 5 in the room don't even care. Plant a bunch of trip wires and go hide. They will stare at them for a minute and then run through them. The moment you enter their line of site and they are alerted though, they instant 360 noscope headshot you for ~40 armor damage before you can even get your gun up.

I don't even see the point of armor because you lose it all after one encounter unless you save and reload like a fiend. I remember in the first game, I couldn't hide. They would grenade me and flush me out. In this one they all pile up in a narrow door while I pick them off.

I can't really fault the developers here, it's a free mod. I just don't think the AI should be given much credit, it's standard fare at best.

Edit: This isn't aimed at your comment per say, I'm just piggy backing it get my thoughts out.

Is it even the same team members at this point? I mean they had a self-imposed silence for a long time.
This is what I figured happened. You had some guys who were all yeah that would be really easy to just remake hl1 lets do it! They found out it was hard. Later some guys with actual talent and drive were wondering what was taking so long, contacted them and then just did it all.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Lets get this out of the way... I'm really loving playing through it, the game is awesome and excellently done. Probably a new pinnacle for mode development in terms of what they've offered.

One of the most impressive things to me though is how consistent the art direction is. That's something you usually see mod teams struggle quite a bit with, or simply not address at all, but here they've really nailed it. Big hats off to them.

The only disappointment to me has been the music. I turned it down really far and it still blares out extremely loudly whenever it kicks in, and just generally takes me out of the moment. I feel like it actually detracts from the game.

Rapstah

People were complaining about when they got the crowbar? Isn't it in the exact same place as HL1?

No, it's moved until after you get the first Barney to help you. You need to pick it up to proceed though, just like in HL1... not sure if you need to use it to go on though.

Top Bottom