• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

That's not all Valve looks for when hiring?

All they did was a visual overhaul and it took them 7-8 years to make it. Valve's looking for innovators. Most of the time, it's games' with okay-visuals but brand-new gameplay mechanics that are challenging, fun and open the door for interesting variations.

These guys did an amazing remake, lots of good work but it's nothing original.

Ledsen

They executed to an extremely high level.

Valve has tons of guys that can do that already. When they hire teams they typically do it because they have made something particularly innovative, interesting or otherwise noteworthy. While BMS is impressive, it's still "only" a visual upgrade of an old game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So I'm really impressed with what these guys have done with the game and, really, it still holds up reasonably well.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of areas and encounters that just DON'T hold up at all. It's definitely a mixed bag in that regard.

Still, for a shooter released in 1998, it's hard to be to harsh on it.

They executed to an extremely high level.
Even if Valve doesn't hire them, surely this release will help some of them gain jobs elsewhere.

xemumanic

I know this may sound like a dumb question, but how do I UNINSTALL Black Mesa when I'm done with it? I don't see anything in the control panel, and no icons in my start menu or desktop.

tborsje

I just finished Black Mesa. What an amazing mod - Half Life was really a great game. I can't remember any single player mod that been as entertaining as this was.

Berto

I've also finished it. Apart from some problems with combat and cut content from Surface Tension it was outstanding for a free mod.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I just finished Black Mesa. What an amazing mod - Half Life was really a great game. I can't remember any single player mod that been as entertaining as this was.
I love to hear in more detail why you feel it's such a great experience even today.

I definitely think it's a good game, but I also feel it's been surpassed quite a few times.

tci

I love to hear in more detail why you feel it's such a great experience even today.

I definitely think it's a good game, but I also feel it's been surpassed quite a few times.
The only fps games I feel have been up there with HL-series is, Crysis, Far Cry.

The use of medpacks is something that I have missed in games. You never really feel weak and scared the same way. Just duck and cover and your health is restored.

This rewards you for beating enemies with tactics and smart play. I also like that the enemies now is more aggressive. So that you just can't hide behind a corner and be safe.

This mod just shows how stale today's fps games have become, sadly.

tborsje

I guess it's mostly due to the great way that Valve works a narrative into their games (And how these modders have replicated that almost perfectly). You pick up little bits and pieces of information from the little dialogue in the game - just enough to give you an idea of what's going on, but you still feel like Gordon Freeman is mostly in the dark, running from danger constantly and never really understanding exactly what happened and why.

The modders deserve credit for working a lot of detail into the world. I would, for example, stop and look at the whiteboard in 'Questionable Ethics' that were full of sketchs of the aliens anatomy. The displays for all the crazy electronic devices in Black Mesa and the sound effects of their operation. Some of these little things were absent in the original, due to texture resolution if anything. It really benefits the settings of Half Life.

I also mostly like the puzzles, and it's nice to see them in a FPS setting. They serve as a good way to slow the pace down between encounters. I guess that the exception is that the game had quite a lot of platforming in it, and first person platformers just feel awkward to me unless you're talking about a game designed well around it like Mirror's Edge. The game shows it's age the most here, and I feel that this is the only aspect of older shooters that are truly dated.

The shooting is good, I like most of the weapons. There is of course none of the modern BS like sitting behind cover or regenerating health, resulting in a great amount of tension when you're running low on health and there's some enemies between you and the next health pack. I really miss that in modern shooters.

...What else? The music was great, I've already downloaded the soundtrack I enjoyed it so much. And, of course, nostalgia. I have no doubt that nostalgia made my experience with Black Mesa feel greater. But that is in itself an accomplishment - if this was a bad remake I wouldn't feel it, and probably feel very disappointed.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This makes me a bit hesitant to play the mod. The combat being bad is a pretty big deal, since it was so awesome in the original (especially against humans).

Well, the combat's not bad, it's just different and overall harder. You have to kill grunts quickly now or bait them into doorways/corners. Stick with the magnum/tau/crossbow/double shotgun and you'll be fine.

FireFly

That's not all Valve looks for when hiring?
Sure. Valve needs to go through the hiring process and make sure each person, considered individually, would fit in with Valve's culture.

My point is more that Valve are looking for problem solvers, as much as they're looking for people who can come up with fancy ideas. So the Black Mesa team deserves serious consideration, whether or not the scope of the project they set themselves was inherently narrow (re-imagining a beloved franchise).

For anyone that wants to see kinda like an "Overview" of Black Mesa Source, if you haven't tried it yet, I made a video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hhf-1W0HOA

Otherwise, I've been really enjoying the game. Puzzles are fun to solve, combat is fun, AI is pretty good. I've been most impressed with the music, voice acting and dialogue, and the funny things you can do in the beginning =)
zapping the food in the microwave for example

I'm not the first person to say this, but people need to stop calling this Black Mesa Source. There is no "Source" in the title, by request of Valve.

Nobody needs to do anything. If I want to call it Black Mesa Source I will (and I do).

Well, if you want to be factually incorrect, I guess there isn't much I can do to stop it. But people calling things by incorrect names is a pet peeve of mine, so I will continue to complain as I see it.

Sibylus

Banned
Probably going to knock it down to Easy when I pick up in On a Rail. I doubt it'll nerf the ridiculous reaction times and accuracy of the soldiers any, but at the very least I think I'll enjoy combat with them a lot more. I don't really enjoy sitting behind a corner all the time to avoid losing 80% of my health in under five seconds.

MrBig

Probably going to knock it down to Easy when I pick up in On a Rail. I doubt it'll nerf the ridiculous reaction times and accuracy of the soldiers any, but at the very least I think I'll enjoy combat with them a lot more. I don't really enjoy sitting behind a corner all the time to avoid losing 80% of my health in under five seconds.

Someone posted a tweak for reaction times earlier

open "...\Steam\steamapps\sourcemods\BMS\cfg\skill.cfg" and add

ai_reaction_delay_alert "0.3"
ai_reaction_delay_idle "0.75"

to the top. You can tweak it further if necessary.

Sibylus

Banned
Someone posted a tweak for reaction times earlier

open "...\Steam\steamapps\sourcemods\BMS\cfg\skill.cfg" and add

ai_reaction_delay_alert "0.3"
ai_reaction_delay_idle "0.75"

to the top. You can tweak it further if necessary.
Ah, that's definitely more targeted to the issue. Much thanks!

CTE

Saw the DSP video yesterday as I'm subbed to him because his rage in some games is pure entertainment. Didn't know it was making it's rounds.

Sibylus

Banned
ai_reaction_delay_alert "0.5"
ai_reaction_delay_idle "1.0"

Went through On a Rail with the AI delay. They still pack a wallop and eat through most of my health in big fights, but I now find myself freer to move around in the fights and enjoy myself more as a consequence.

As for the level itself, it's probably the most significantly changed I've seen so far. I miss being able to reroute to different pathways at my whim, though there's certainly a lot of tediousness that has been excised as a result of the changes. I like how they made the rocket more prominent in the proceedings, it's now more than a set piece at the end of the level.

Alfredo

The only fps games I feel have been up there with HL-series is, Crysis, Far Cry.

The use of medpacks is something that I have missed in games. You never really feel weak and scared the same way. Just duck and cover and your health is restored.

This rewards you for beating enemies with tactics and smart play. I also like that the enemies now is more aggressive. So that you just can't hide behind a corner and be safe.

This mod just shows how stale today's fps games have become, sadly.

You probably play differently, but with PC games, I'm constantly abusing the quick save and quick load features. It doesn't necessarily encourage smart play over just replaying the same part over and over until I'm satisfied with my health. It's kinda like regenerating health, but way stupider.

Obviously, I just need the will power to not abuse these features, but it makes me wonder why they keep those features at all.

Feep

Banned
So, I've never played the original Half Life...

...and I have to say, this is a severe disappointment so far. I loved HL2, but this has been nothing but two or three hours of running through samey, boring environments shooting dull enemies. It started off great, with a cool narrative focus, but that has been completely ignored since the cascade.

I just got to "We've Got Hostiles!", if you're wondering.

I feel ya, Feep. As groundbreaking as HL was, it took HL2 and Eps for the franchise to become great. Exploring Black Mesa is fun, but it's nowhere near the same level of Godlyness.

HL is a sacred thing for a lot of people, but if it wasn't for this remake I'd never have played it again.

nan0

So, I've never played the original Half Life...

...and I have to say, this is a severe disappointment so far. I loved HL2, but this has been nothing but two or three hours of running through samey, boring environments shooting dull enemies. It started off great, with a cool narrative focus, but that has been completely ignored since the cascade.

I just got to "We've Got Hostiles!", if you're wondering.

I would play at least until "Blast Pit", which is the next level. However it is true, that there are some dull parts, and you are currently in one of the less interesting areas. The narrative won't get any better until the last two or three levels, when there are a few more (friendly) people to interact with.

Playing through Black Mesa reminded me why I like HL so much. It's not so much the gameplay, but more the impression of being in an actual research facility with all its assets. Since the levels are interconnected (save for one part), it gives a sense of progression and not just some levels slapped together. I sometimes wondered if it would be viable to add more background to the game; e.g. by adding research logs or "diaries" to the environment, much like the scans in Metroid Prime. Optional, but by means that it makes sense, such as the ability to browse the computers or whiteboards that you find in almost all levels.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I feel ya, Feep. As groundbreaking as HL was, it took HL2 and Eps for the franchise to become great. Exploring Black Mesa is fun, but it's nowhere near the same level of Godlyness.

HL is a sacred thing for a lot of people, but if it wasn't for this remake I'd never have played it again.

I can kinda understand this.

To me nothing will beat playing HL2, Ep1 and Ep2 all in immediate succession. The sense of exploration you get from going from the train station, through City 17 and out into the wider world is incredible.

DocSeuss

All they did was a visual overhaul and it took them 7-8 years to make it. Valve's looking for innovators. Most of the time, it's games' with okay-visuals but brand-new gameplay mechanics that are challenging, fun and open the door for interesting variations.

These guys did an amazing remake, lots of good work but it's nothing original.

This sounds like you haven't played it at all.

There are gameplay changes (fully customized AI iirc--and they're WICKED SMART; I had some guys who had gathered around a vent waiting for me to come out at one point), additional forms of interactivity (flares setting off a fire extinguisher was great), most of the levels have been redesigned, the game's full of secrets...

Yes, the template is there. Many of the events and elements of the game are intact in some way, shape, or form. And the guns and enemies are about the same. But the pacing's different, the tech behind it is better, the levels have been redesigned, the game's in-game training is vastly improved (such as showing you what lasers perform what functions)... a lot has changed.

...no.

Half-Life was the game that changed first-person shooter design forever. That is true greatness.

Half-Life 2 was a weak shooter with a bad plot, flat characters, boring enemies, uninteresting weapons, and a bunch of set pieces that didn't make sense, wrapped up in a bow of physics and atmosphere. Half-Life 2: Episode 1 was shit, and Episode 2 was wackily unbalanced, first being mostly in caves, then with an extended driving segment, followed by an unsatisfying conclusion built around the only halfway-decent shooting segment (and a massive, rather repetitive strider-killing segment) in the game.

Had Half-Life never existed, Half-Life 2 would never have been as well-loved as it was.

Black Mesa is incredible. It is so fun to go through a segment, solving clever puzzles (as opposed to the "not another see-saw!" feeling from Half-Life 2), and then to return, discovering that someone's left a door ajar and now you can get supplies. It's neat because the environment feels like a real space, that hasn't just been lived in, but is still being occupied and interacted with by others on a constant basis. I first played Half-Life the week before Episode 2 launched, and I hold no interest in another Half-Life 2 game. Black Mesa has been just about constant glee, the only disappointments being the weird-ass jump height and the inclusion of characters from Half-Life 2.

I would play at least until "Blast Pit", which is the next level. However it is true, that there are some dull parts, and you are currently in one of the less interesting areas. The narrative won't get any better until the last two or three levels, when there are a few more (friendly) people to interact with.

Playing through Black Mesa reminded me why I like HL so much. It's not so much the gameplay, but more the impression of being in an actual research facility with all its assets. Since the levels are interconnected (save for one part), it gives a sense of progression and not just some levels slapped together. I sometimes wondered if it would be viable to add more background to the game; e.g. by adding research logs or "diaries" to the environment, much like the scans in Metroid Prime. Optional, but by means that it makes sense, such as the ability to browse the computers or whiteboards that you find in almost all levels.

System Shock 2, released the following year, did just that. If its shooting had been as good as Half-Life's... damn.

I can kinda understand this.

To me nothing will beat playing HL2, Ep1 and Ep2 all in immediate succession. The sense of exploration you get from going from the train station, through City 17 and out into the wider world is incredible.

Yep, that sense of progression is wonderful.

The best bit about HL (and now this) is exploring Black Mesa. Everything else is... eh. I really don't like fighting the marines and the less said about Xen the better.

DocSeuss

Yep, that sense of progression is wonderful.

The best bit about HL (and now this) is exploring Black Mesa. Everything else is... eh. I really don't like fighting the marines and the less said about Xen the better.

Better enemies that make you think than Half-Life 2's bullet sponges.

I don't really want to rag on Half-Life 2, but I am honestly shocked by the love it's getting here. The progression through the game is basically a bunch of random, distinct sequences that don't really work well together at all. It's not even like your main goal ever changes, either. First you gotta get to Black Mesa East to meet Eli, then you gotta get to Nova Prospekt to save Eli, then you gotta get to the Citadel to... well, save Eli again. The Episodes continue the trend.

I could write an essay on why HL2 and the Episodes are some of the finest games ever made and embarrass the original, but I don't want to, so let's agree to disagree :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There are gameplay changes (fully customized AI iirc--and they're WICKED SMART; I had some guys who had gathered around a vent waiting for me to come out at one point), additional forms of interactivity (flares setting off a fire extinguisher was great), most of the levels have been redesigned, the game's full of secrets...

The combat is littered with amateurish mistakes that distant it from Half-Life's original design. Majority of the levels are only redesigned aesthetically, and are otherwise room-for-room identical, with a handful of Half-Life 2 valve/physics 'puzzles' thrown in for good measure. The extinguisher effect was cool, and impossible without the flair effect ripped right from Episode 1.

I admire what they've accomplished, but acting like this is some tremendous overhaul and advancement of the Half-Life formula is a gross exaggeration.

DocSeuss

I could write an essay on why HL2 and the Episodes are some of the finest games ever made and embarrass the original, but I don't want to, so let's agree to disagree :p

I've already written a few essays on why they're some of the worst things to happen to shooter design in the past several years, as well as bad sequels to the original games (example: silent character is useless when the gameplay and NPCs already define him as a person--he might as well have a voice).

I would, of course, be interested in an essay explaining why they're better than the originals, but I respect your desire not to do so.

The combat is littered with amateurish mistakes that distant it from Half-Life's original design. Majority of the levels are only redesigned aesthetically, and are otherwise room-for-room identical, with a handful of Half-Life 2 valve/physics 'puzzles' thrown in for good measure. The extinguisher effect was cool, and impossible without the flair effect ripped right from Episode 1.

I admire what they've accomplished, but acting like this is some tremendous overhaul and advancement of the Half-Life formula is a gross exaggeration.

Where I feel confident enough to say that I know Half-Life room-for-room, I continually find myself surprised by what comes next in Black Mesa. Quite a lot has changed (for instance, when you turn the power on in Blast Pit, you don't actually murder a guy who thought it was a good idea to hide on top of a generator for some reason, because he's now hiding in one of two control rooms at the top of the shaft). A ton of stuff has been redesigned to combat the "this doesn't make any architectural or logical sense" arguments people have made towards Valve games over the years. I certainly don't remember nearly as many secrets to discover throughout the game.

My main issue with the combat seems to be an issue of timing. Everything's faster. In the case of the houndeyes, it's a welcome improvement. With the bullsquids, vortigaunts, and marines, they aim and fire far too quickly. Vorts in particular need to be glass cannons. I do appreciate that they seem smarter (hunting down the player when he's out of sight), and find them far closer to a stimulating experience like FEAR's than something as dreadfully dull as Half-Life 2. The Combine and antlions are down there with Legendary's Werewolves as some of my least favorite enemies of all time, though the tedium of fighting them comes from the feeling of boredom I get when encountering them, rather than the tedium of having to perform an extra step to ensure they're dead.

I don't think I've come across any seesaw or "stack stuff/place it somewhere" puzzles from Half-Life 2. Can't remember if the "find a valve and plug it in" puzzle was in one of the Episodes or not, but I've come across it twice in Black Mesa, and it's a great improvement on what the original had done in those locations.

Maybe my opinion of things will change. I'm part way through On a Rail right now.

EDIT: Black Mesa's space feels like a real one. Combating its enemies feels... better. I know, rationally, that the AI is cheating (actually, I seem to be able to trick it into doing things, so maybe not), but when I play it, I find myself acting as though I'm playing against real opponents. I find them tricking me (one baits, another flanks), or, as I said, I find myself fooling them (the earlier-mentioned example of them waiting for me to come out of a vent, when I'd really worked my way all the way around them). When I back out of sight, they pursue me until they can make me dead. They're smart, and I value that. If I didn't have to duck so much, I think the only other complaint I'd have would be that my hitbox feels huuuge, since people can melee me from a few feet away. I love that I have to think when fighting these guys. I have to plan before taking one on. I have to listen to see if there's more than one in the room. With a lesser game, like Half-Life 2, I just max the difficulty, walk in, shoot everyone, move on to the box with infinite rockets, have another unsatisfying boss fight, and repeat.

And, honestly, once I started treating them like real people, my acceptance of Black Mesa as a real space grew even more, and I remembered why I fell in love with Half-Life and OP4 half a decade ago. Basically, the Black Mesa team has focused on making this a better immersive experience, rather than a better gamey-type game. That, I feel, is the direction Half-Life should have gone in, because that's the framework the first game established. Scripted sequences and clever AI spawn placement helped convey the idea that this was a real 3D space. The environmental storytelling in the game ("SURRENDER FREEMEN!" anyone?) helps bring that across even more. The Black Mesa team has expanded on it. I find this a lot better than having an NPC walk alongside me, displaying obvious game routines, asking me questions about a past I never had (thus creating a character that may or may not be at odds with the persona I have established in my head), going through random level bits that barely make sense in context (this is a cave level, that is a zombie level...), all so the game can show me its pretty physics.

I value intelligent shooter play. I value player movement (the most important element of any good first-person game). I value virtual worlds. Black Mesa does this. It doesn't always do it flawlessly, and it's certainly rough around the edges (someone recently pointed out to me that the assassins use the same rigs as male characters, for instance), but it does Half-Life better than any Half-Life game since Opposing Force.

eot

Banned
This makes me a bit hesitant to play the mod. The combat being bad is a pretty big deal, since it was so awesome in the original (especially against humans).

The AI doesn't ruin the game, it's just not as fun to fight as in the first game. The weapons make up for it partially by being very satisfying to use. I decided to go back to HL a bit and do a comparison. The grunts in HL move around a lot. Even though it doesn't make a ton of sense it makes them fun to fight because the situation keeps changing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Where I feel confident enough to say that I know Half-Life room-for-room, I continually find myself surprised by what comes next in Black Mesa. Quite a lot has changed (for instance, when you turn the power on in Blast Pit, you don't actually murder a guy who thought it was a good idea to hide on top of a generator for some reason, because he's now hiding in one of two control rooms at the top of the shaft). A ton of stuff has been redesigned to combat the "this doesn't make any architectural or logical sense" arguments people have made towards Valve games over the years. I certainly don't remember nearly as many secrets to discover throughout the game.

My main issue with the combat seems to be an issue of timing. Everything's faster. In the case of the houndeyes, it's a welcome improvement. With the bullsquids, vortigaunts, and marines, they aim and fire far too quickly. Vorts in particular need to be glass cannons. I do appreciate that they seem smarter (hunting down the player when he's out of sight), and find them far closer to a stimulating experience like FEAR's than something as dreadfully dull as Half-Life 2. The Combine and antlions are down there with Legendary's Werewolves as some of my least favorite enemies of all time, though the tedium of fighting them comes from the feeling of boredom I get when encountering them, rather than the tedium of having to perform an extra step to ensure they're dead.

I don't think I've come across any seesaw or "stack stuff/place it somewhere" puzzles from Half-Life 2. Can't remember if the "find a valve and plug it in" puzzle was in one of the Episodes or not, but I've come across it twice in Black Mesa, and it's a great improvement on what the original had done in those locations.

Maybe my opinion of things will change. I'm part way through On a Rail right now.

Black Mesa's space feels like a real one. Combating its enemies feels... better. I know, rationally, that the AI is cheating (actually, I seem to be able to trick it into doing things, so maybe not), but when I play it, I find myself acting as though I'm playing against real opponents. I find them tricking me (one baits, another flanks), or, as I said, I find myself fooling them (the earlier-mentioned example of them waiting for me to come out of a vent, when I'd really worked my way all the way around them). When I back out of sight, they pursue me until they can make me dead. They're smart, and I value that. If I didn't have to duck so much, I think the only other complaint I'd have would be that my hitbox feels huuuge, since people can melee me from a few feet away.

I guess I'm just not seeing the mod through the same lens of optimism as you are, even though I am enjoying it and continue to be impressed by the quality of production. Though I am impressed with some changes they've made, the overall poorer standard of combat and other niggling issues (eg: jump height) give me the impression of a mod mostly standing on the shoulders of giants. It's a dickish thing to say I guess, but I don't see this as some master work of redesign, and I still consider Half-Life to be a noticeably better overall experience, sans a few exceptions (the On A Rail overhaul was welcome).

As for the plug puzzle, that was in vanilla Half-Life 2, and was repeated in the Episodes.

Divius

Finished it yesterday. Fantastic mod. Now I'm probably going to play HL2 + the episodes again and get all angry that ep3 still isn't here.

DocSeuss

I guess I'm just not seeing the mod through the same lens of optimism as you are, even though I am enjoying it and continue to be impressed by the quality of production. Though I am impressed with some changes they've made, the overall poorer standard of combat and other niggling issues (eg: jump height) give me the impression of a mod mostly standing on the shoulders of giants. It's a dickish thing to say I guess, but I don't see this as some master work of redesign, and I still consider Half-Life to be a noticeably better overall experience, sans a few exceptions (the On A Rail overhaul was welcome).

As for the plug puzzle, that was in vanilla Half-Life 2, and was repeated in the Episodes.

I just put in big edit in my original post. Sorry about that.

Can you explain a bit more what you mean by poorer combat? Faster enemies aside, I'm not really sure what there is to complain about.

The jump height and lack of flares-as-weapons bother me the most. I do like how the game eases you into the role of "scientist who has to become badass as the experience changes" with the flares, though. Being alone and having to rely on a guy to escort you while you can only desperately burn zombies and hope they don't get to close? A lot more fun than

Black Mesa impresses me the most because I think it groks Half-Life better than Valve ever did. It takes all the things that really made it work--those things that made it appealing in the first place (scripted sequences, one cohesive environment, great AI for the time, etc)--and expands on them.

Oddly, the non-gameplay, non-Eli/Isaac thing that bothers me the most is the "you can trust me--you can trust all of us" line placement. That should come near the end of the game, where the player has gone through the hardest, most difficult parts, and feels at their most vulnerable (mmm, that delicious loneliness of late-90s/early-00s shooters like AvP/AvP2/HL/SS2/Halo). As it stands, they seem to have moved it to before Blast Pit, and it loses some of the poignancy (here I was feeling sorry for myself because I thought everybody wanted Freeman dead, and these people seem to feel sincerely for me!) that it had in the original game.

Feep

Banned
...no.

Half-Life was the game that changed first-person shooter design forever. That is true greatness.

Half-Life 2 was a weak shooter with a bad plot, flat characters, boring enemies, uninteresting weapons, and a bunch of set pieces that didn't make sense, wrapped up in a bow of physics and atmosphere. Half-Life 2: Episode 1 was shit, and Episode 2 was wackily unbalanced, first being mostly in caves, then with an extended driving segment, followed by an unsatisfying conclusion built around the only halfway-decent shooting segment (and a massive, rather repetitive strider-killing segment) in the game.

Had Half-Life never existed, Half-Life 2 would never have been as well-loved as it was.

Black Mesa is incredible. It is so fun to go through a segment, solving clever puzzles (as opposed to the "not another see-saw!" feeling from Half-Life 2), and then to return, discovering that someone's left a door ajar and now you can get supplies. It's neat because the environment feels like a real space, that hasn't just been lived in, but is still being occupied and interacted with by others on a constant basis. I first played Half-Life the week before Episode 2 launched, and I hold no interest in another Half-Life 2 game. Black Mesa has been just about constant glee, the only disappointments being the weird-ass jump height and the inclusion of characters from Half-Life 2.
I don't care if Half-Life changed gaming forever. I care about how it plays today, and it isn't playing well. The only "puzzle" I've seen in around three and a half hours was bringing a wheel over to a hole, and then twisting it to make a bridge with a meat crane. Not exactly MENSA-level stuff here.

There has been no story at all to speak of post-cascade, and dissing Alyx is grounds for a pimp-slapping. Also, this jump-and-then-hold-crouch for half the jumps in the game is incredibly stupid.

Top Bottom