• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

Yikes, you have a very low opinion of everyone on here don't you? There's lots of films with audience and critical acclaim which I didn't care for either (Gravity) but that doesn't mean I think everyone else is a simpleton.

My post was condescending I can see that, sorry. But I stand by my opinion about the pacing and writing. I don’t hate the movie and I appreciate the directing in most scenes, but this hyperbole annoyed me I guess. I remember a similar situation with Gravity, a movie that was a great ride but completely shallow and even dumb in its writing and hamfisted symbolism.

We actually studied Blade Runner and discussed its impact on the science fiction genre in a Science Fiction literature and media class I took at my University.

I have no idea where you are getting the notion that Blade Runner isn't sci fi.

When I rewatched Blade Runner on saturday in preparation I realized everything looked like mass effect, the city, the cars, the music and the ads being played 24/7.

Blade Runner influences run deep.

Tobor

But the comparison to Ghostbusters makes it relevant. You are going to get more outrage out of an expensive film under-performing if its a film that got mixed to average reactions at best compared to a film that is getting near universal praise from those who saw it.

I see what you’re saying, but it’s a flawed way to look at a business.

The decisions I’m questioning happened before the movie was even made. Why this much money for this property?

Ithil

Here is my illustration of the release.

1245977.jpg

1253484.jpg

1261392.jpg

1263478.jpg

1273271.jpg

Disclaimer:
I have no idea if Justice League will be good or not, I'm merely going off how shit BvS was.

I need to see this film again.

It's been 24 hours and I just NEED to experience it again.

This film tanking is a travesty. I understand with the first as the theatrical release wasn't as captivating as the DC or FC. But this film is fantastic.

Alongside revenant and baby driver as a movie I'm just glad I saw in a cinema, on the big screen.

There are like 8 theaters near me. Half of them aren't even showing Blade Runner, and the other half haven't had an evening showing all weekend. It's just matinees. Weirdest thing. It felt like it had a ton of marketing and then at the last minute they just sent it out to die in my area.

RS4-

The decisions I’m questioning happened before the movie was even made. Why this much money for this property?

Sounds like 2049 should've been given $20m. Or possibly have the whole movie take place in Gosling's apartment.

WTF. I'd die happy if I could make a movie half as great as BR2049. It's a real cinematic achievement. Deep, beautiful, memorable.

What an odd capitalist take on a movie that so brilliantly succeeds on its own terms. It's the ideal Blade Runner sequel, recapturing its tone and themes while broadening its world. Profits should be the least of a director's concerns when they have the daunting task of making a worthy follow-up to a landmark genre defining classic.

The movie's investors may have lost money, but they made a meaningful and likely enduring contribution to culture. Not the worst outcome.
All of this.

If the movie ends up being a slow burn like the original, so be it. We should all hope BR2049 has an impact on all of Sci-Fi. I felt like I saw something special when I saw this on Saturday. Something like this doesn't come around very often, especially in sci-fi.

If money was lost here, thank them for their sacrifice and make plans to buy the blu-ray.

Best movie I've seen in 2017.

The original did shit at the box office, too.

And yet, that didn't actually matter.

What a weird defensive post. It's a topic about how much money it made sparky, and that it's bombing. Which is certainly not a good thing and relevant for a movie that clearly had sequel tints added towards the end of the movie signifying at least a trilogy for the franchise. I'd like to see another movie if the right group of people are on it, but it doesn't look likely with these sales. Hopefully it does better in China and Europe :\

Here is my illustration of the release.

Disclaimer:
I have no idea if Justice League will be good or not, I'm merely going off how shit BvS was.
I bet people would see a Cyberpunk Marvel 2099 or Batman Beyond movie. Maybe Cyberpunk needs superheroes to sell it to a mainstream audience. lol

Budi

Passion for film and the love for the art of cinema.
Honestly I don't know, but I don't mind either.

eot

Banned
Just caught up with the overnight discussion. I'm surprised how many people think a dune movie would be appealing to mainstream audiences. It'll probably fail with them like 2049 did.

Dune probably would be better as a miniseries on HBO or Netflix

It would, but the movie is happening, so...

eot

Banned
I know this isn't a thread about Dune, but I was wondering, what are the odds of them actually talking about Jihad in the new movie?

What a weird defensive post. It's a topic about how much money it made sparky, and that it's bombing. Which is certainly not a good thing and relevant for a movie that clearly had sequel tints added towards the end of the movie signifying at least a trilogy for the franchise.
What were the sequel hints? Nothing here suggests a trilogy any more than the original Blade Runner suggests a sequel

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Saw a facebook comment saying you could see the USS Sulaco from Aliens in one scene when Joi and Joe are riding in their car. Gonna see if I can spot it on a rewatch.

Syd Mead was involved in this movie at least in a small capacity afterall.

Zombine

Banned
What were the sequel hints? Nothing here suggests a trilogy any more than the original Blade Runner suggests a sequel

I think sequel hopes come from the people who want to see the rebellion on screen and Wallace dealt with. Could they make this film? Probably. Would it be what we expect? Probably not. Are we going to get a third film? Doubtful.

Blade Runner is all about ambiguity and viewer participation. I am more excited to hear about fan-created “what if’s” and the ideas from those involved, versus actually having a trilogy. I am ok with two films.

Edit: if people want more from this universe just watch Alien and Aliens :p

What a weird defensive post. It's a topic about how much money it made sparky, and that it's bombing. Which is certainly not a good thing and relevant for a movie that clearly had sequel tints added towards the end of the movie signifying at least a trilogy for the franchise. I'd like to see another movie if the right group of people are on it, but it doesn't look likely with these sales. Hopefully it does better in China and Europe :
Expect it to be a slow burn. That will have to be fine given its depth and complexity. It will make its budgets back I'm sure. I'm certainly in for the 4K blu-ray, but I'm not paying for another $14 movie ticket. lol

What are the odds that this movie gets all the oscars?
Given its my movie of the year so far, I expect it to be on many short lists. If it does well in awards season, we can probably expect a theatricals rerelease.

At least it looks like its opening weekend turned out a bit better than expected:

https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/status/917396096909041666
Outstanding. Keep spreading that word of mouth, my children.

I think sequel hopes come from the people who want to see the rebellion on screen and Wallace dealt with. Could they make this film? Probably. Would it be what we expect? Probably not. Are we going to get a third film? Doubtful.

Blade Runner is all about ambiguity and viewer participation. I am more excited to hear about fan-created “what if’s” and the ideas from those involved, versus actually having a trilogy. I am ok with two films.

Edit: if people want more from this universe just watch Alien and Aliens :p

I'd want a sequel set in about 2149. After the rebellion and when things have settled down. Replicants and Humans are interbreeding, and there is a stable coexistence, but you have different factions trying to disrupt the "peaceful" society.

My theatre sucked.

This old couple behind us was narrating the whole movie

This is why I prefer to watch at home, so I have control when I can watch, pause, set volume.

Those who wee young when Transformers and Twilight were new have likely never seen Blade Runner in the first place.
Liking and/or seeing Blade Runner has nothing to do with youth IMO, and everything to do with interest. If you like cyberpunk, sci-fi, noir, sci-fi noir, thoughtful sci-fi, are interested in classic/influential films or cinematography, then you probably have seen or are familiar with Blade Runner. That's not an age thing

I have no doubt they're going to push this movie very hard. Especially for cinematography and director

I hope so. It deserves it.

Given its my movie of the year so far, I expect it to be on many short lists. If it does well in awards season, we can probably expect a theatricals rerelease.

yeah, this is what I was thinking. I want this movie to make a fuckton of money. Not only does it deserves all the oscars, but those oscars could help it make more money if it was rereleased. Didn't that happen with The King's Speech?

Sloane

Banned
Not surprising. I felt like the writing was a little lazy compared to other superhero movies. Having just one kind of mutants ("replicants") felt pretty lame and there wasn't much in terms of superpowers and funny banter either. Why not throw some aliens or at least a second kind of mutants into the mix?

I asked myself whether I would buy an action figure of any of the characters and I certainly would not, there's no real standout like Iron Man or Thor. No laughter in my theater whatsoever either. Marvel would have never released a flick like this imo.

The irony is that what happened to the original is now happening to the sequel:

Brilliant, evocative, and very cerebral genre film is released but alienates casual moviegoers.

What happens now will also mirror history:

Blade Runner 2049 will gradually become accepted as a masterpiece of filmmaking and will inspire ridiculous amounts of discussion and debate for years to come.

As it should.

I’m very glad this film got made, even if the box office tally is soft.

Budi

Liking and/or seeing Blade Runner has nothing to do with youth IMO, and everything to do with interest. If you like cyberpunk, sci-fi, noir, sci-fi noir, thoughtful sci-fi, are interested in classic/influential films or cinematography, then you probably have seen or are familiar with Blade Runner. That's not an age thing
Very true. Even as early teen some of my favorites movies were dramas or other "slower" films and movies made before my time. Ofcourse I loved some action, comedy etc movies too, just like like now. Very often when we apply something we see as negative traits to kids and youth, those exact same qualities can be found on adults too.

Voidwolf

I really wanna see this but no one else wants to and I'm not going to the theater alone. So I'll have to wait for the bluray release.

The irony is that what happened to the original is now happening to the sequel:

Brilliant, evocative, and very cerebral genre film is released but alienates casual moviegoers.

What happens now will also mirror history:

Blade Runner 2049 will gradually become accepted as a masterpiece of filmmaking and will inspire ridiculous amounts of discussion and debate for years to come.

As it should.

I’m very glad this film got made, even if the box office tally is soft.
Actually the original was critically panned, which is the opposite of what happened with 2049.

My post was condescending I can see that, sorry. But I stand by my opinion about the pacing and writing. I don’t hate the movie and I appreciate the directing in most scenes, but this hyperbole annoyed me I guess. I remember a similar situation with Gravity, a movie that was a great ride but completely shallow and even dumb in its writing and hamfisted symbolism.

Gravity I’ll grant you is incredibly on the nose at times – I liked the film but didn’t venerate it as some did.

Blade Runner 2049 on the other hand is worthy of all the praise and then some. It’s a brilliant film and incredibly complex; I could literally analyze that film for the next couple of years straight and probably not exhaust its nuances.

That isn’t hyperbole, that’s my genuine response to seeing this film actually surpass the original, which is one of my favorite films, and take it to an even deeper and more interesting place.

But hey, plenty of people don’t like the original either so to each their own.

TI82

Banned
It's weird, I saw bladerunner last night at an 845 pm Sunday showing and it was packed.

I dunno, great movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom