• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat

Leave Bang alone, CJ. He is at his best and fairest in this version. He also plays less like a ninja compared other ninja characters as it is. Take away his nails and he just looks like a hobo with a giant nail on his back.
So I'm thinking of starting up an online BlazBlue[CSE] tourney even though all of ten people are liable to turn out between here and other boards, let me know if there's interest.

Could become a weekly thing if interest keeps up.
I could get into some sort of weekly lobby thing. I don't know how a tournament would go, but I would play.

Fugu

Leave Bang alone, CJ. He is at his best and fairest in this version. He also plays less like a ninja compared other ninja characters as it is. Take away his nails and he just looks like a hobo with a giant nail on his back.

I could get into some sort of weekly lobby thing. I don't know how a tournament would go, but I would play.
I guess it depends how you define fair. He is certainly more balanced relative to the rest of the cast in this version, considering his history (bad in CT, amazing in CS1, alright in CS2 -- very, very similar to Litchi's). But he is also arguably more irritating to fight in this version than ever before. Bang's 5A pressure is not at all fun. In fact, CSEX in general is just not that much fun.

The game needs a breath of fresh air, I think.

I guess it depends how you define fair. He is certainly more balanced relative to the rest of the cast in this version, considering his history (bad in CT, amazing in CS1, alright in CS2 -- very, very similar to Litchi's). But he is also arguably more irritating to fight in this version than ever before. Bang's 5A pressure is not at all fun. In fact, CSEX in general is just not that much fun.

I agree. I tried to get back into it this week. At the end of the day I asked myself "why didn't I play UMvC3 instead?"

What do you mean about a "breath of fresh air"? I enjoy the game enough, but I think it does lack a big playerbase. Is it characters or big changes in the mechanics/speed?

What do you mean about a "breath of fresh air"? I enjoy the game enough, but I think it does lack a big playerbase. Is it characters or big changes in the mechanics/speed?

Game got balanced the wrong way. People like to have one or two tools that make them interesting. They all got taken away and it's not that fun anymore. Hell, even the one character that's apparently good (Ragna) is not that good compared to some of the CT or CS1 chars.

I have no idea why wall bounces are gone except in corner.

Fugu

I mean we've been playing revisions of CS for three years, and the only major change we've gotten in that time is the change to air unblockables. While balance has changed among characters, the characters themselves haven't gotten all that different and most of them haven't seen as much as a new move since CS.

I have no idea why wall bounces are gone except in corner.
You can thank Litchi's CH j.C[m] wallbounce for that. Most of these needed to be removed.

So has there been any news of a Blazblue 3 yet?

Kind of want them to add a bunch of new characters like Kokonoe and Lord Tenjo's son plus others and wrap up the story.

Also keep the multiple path story mode. :p

Kind of want them to add a bunch of new characters like Kokonoe and Lord Tenjo's son plus others and wrap up the story.

Also keep the multiple path story mode. :p

Not with GG coming out soon. I'd say we'll probably hear something next year.

I asked some questions in the Vita general thread, but I figured I would try asking here at hopes of reaching somebody who has played BlazBlue on Vita.

How does the game feel on the Vita? I haven't played a fighter on the system yet and I'm unsure how the dpad and buttons feel for this type of game. Is there an issue of messing up moves because the dpad and left stick are so close together?

Are there still a decent amount of people playing online? Or will I have difficulty finding a match?

Also, does this game use touch screen shortcuts just like SSF4 did on 3DS? If so, is there a way to filter online play so that I only play games where touch screen shortcuts are disabled?

I have a question regarding Continuum Shift Extend: I'm usually not big on fighting games, if I play them it's usually just casually with friends and I never learn move-sets or anything. I do take care to not just wildly button mash though. Now my question, a friend last week came over with Continuum Shift Extend and we had a blast with it and now I'm thinking of purchasing a copy for myself. Is it worth for playing alone and would it be a good start to get more serious about fighters?

Just to give off a few impressions I had, after trying every character I felt most comfortable with Noel and Platinum and I loved that fact that each character felt fundamentally different plus the main-menu made it seem like there is alot of content.

shtkn

i vaguely recall arc saying they would have something to announce around sbo, but that doens't necessarily mean BB3. It could be taht xblaze project or somethign else entirely.

as far getting extend goes, i guess it depends what you want out of it. if you want tons of extra content (story mode, extra game modes, unlockable art and stuff) and a game to mash with friends, it's great. if you want a tournament fighter or a huge scene, it not that great since the scene seems to be looking to p4arena and extends is being tossed to the side (at least for now).

as far as using bb to teach you stuff about other fighters... i guess it'd be good for teaching basic stuff (air dashes, bursts, rcs, etc), but each arc franchise is pretty unique so there will be a learning curve for any new series you pick up.

as far getting extend goes, i guess it depends what you want out of it. if you want tons of extra content (story mode, extra game modes, unlockable art and stuff) and a game to mash with friends, it's great. if you want a tournament fighter or a huge scene, it not that great since the scene seems to be looking to p4arena and extends is being tossed to the side (at least for now).

as far as using bb to teach you stuff about other fighters... i guess it'd be good for teaching basic stuff (air dashes, bursts, rcs, etc), but each arc franchise is pretty unique so there will be a learning curve for any new series you pick up.

Thanks for that, it sounds like it's a good game for me then as I don't want to get anywhere near tournament levels, I'm just looking to compete with my friends :) Now I just hope my local store still has the PS3 version for 30€...

Letep

The Sony store near me has this on sale for $19.99.

I'm a 2D fighter fan. Played BlazBlue on 360 (the first game on there)

Should I pick this up for Vita? How's the online community?

The Sony store near me has this on sale for $19.99.

I'm a 2D fighter fan. Played BlazBlue on 360 (the first game on there)

Should I pick this up for Vita? How's the online community?

Blazblue on Vita is pretty much a pixel perfect port, with the only downside being the voices sounding somewhat compressed. There's plenty added since for people who are upgrading from Calamity Trigger (Abyss, Legion, Unlimited Mars modes, effectively a new Story mode to boot, plus dat Tutorial. Also they've added eight characters since). Dunno about online, since I've never tried it, but I'd imagine it'll be fairly barren.

Galdelico

Sorry if I bump just for asking one thing but... Does this game - on PS3 - have any game install option, as well as Soul Calibur V and SFxTekken?
If it doesn't, can you tell me how are the loading times?
I played installed CT and CS on 360 but I want CSE on PS3 since I have now the best controller on this console.

Thanks guys. ^_-

Sorry if I bump just for asking one thing but... Does this game - on PS3 - have any game install option, as well as Soul Calibur V and SFxTekken?
If it doesn't, can you tell me how are the loading times?
I played installed CT and CS on 360 but I want CSE on PS3 since I have now the best controller on this console.

Thanks guys. ^_-

They all have install options. And you SHOULD install all of them since it adds significant loading time.

Galdelico

They all have install options. And you SHOULD install all of them since it adds significant loading time.
Oh, thank you sir.

Yeah, that's why I asked: I usually install everything on 360 but I'm just getting started with fighting games on PS3, after I upgraded my controller setup.
Recently I noticed both SCV and SFxT provided a 'game install' option, but I couldn't find any clue about the same thing being (or not) in BB.
Thanks yet again. ^_-

Does anyone know what I should be doing in the Mu vs Ragna matchup? That‘s the one I have the most trouble with by far :/

Oh, and fuck Unlimited Mars >_<

shtkn

just a reminder that xie will have a side stream at evo. here's the schedule

Friday (7/6/12)
P4A Casuals: 8AM-12PM
BB Singles: 12PM-5PM
GG Singles: 5PM-7PM
BB Singles Finals: 7PM-10PM

Saturday (7/7/12)
P4A Casuals: 8AM-10AM
BB Teams: 10AM-2PM
MB Singles: 2PM-5PM
BB Teams Finals: 5PM-6PM
P4A Casuals: 6PM-10PM

Fugu

Ragna's overheads are shit. You can just block, punish or throw 6B (or just, like, walk away from it) and you can DP gauntlet hades. Check the frames on your AA; you may be able to do that too as Tsubaki's AA is bonkers. Given that, you should probably just block low a lot of the time. The most important thing to do is to watch what your particular Ragna player does after 5B; a lot of Ragnas won't even bother confirming 5B and do 5B 6B (this is a big gimmick of Lieutenant's), which means if you hold back after 5B you'll save yourself the trouble of having to take the ridiculous amount of damage that 5B goes into. Watch out for dumb grabs, too, as stagger (i don't know what the move is called, but people do it for meterless oki in the corner) into grab is very popular and also very weak. If you block a drive move, this is probably your chance to hit him. There are some circumstances in which he can DP and punish you for punishing him -- such as when your punish involves a dash or Ragna has 50 heat -- but most of the time you should be golden. Ragna's pressure isn't actually all that great. What makes it scary is that he only really has to land a couple of hits.

Specifically for Mu, don't try and out-poke him midscreen; even if you win, you'll lose. He can hit a lot harder than you can midscreen. Focus your attention on making space for yourself and using your drives to keep him out. Mu's DP is also pretty good but will clash/whiff on some drive moves and will outright lose to Ragna's DP, so be careful. If you can't finish your combos in the corner, you will probably lose.

Mu's DP is also pretty good but will clash/whiff on some drive moves and will outright lose to Ragna's DP, so be careful.

Oh, I know this very, very well. I've pretty much given up on trying to reversal anything against Ragna because it always leads to me getting my face Inferno Diver'd -.-

So pretty much stay away from him then? Next time I'll try to use more lasers.

Fugu

My original post was talking about Tsubaki, who has an absolutely terrible DP. You can DP any of Ragna's drives with impunity as Mu so long as it doesn't whiff. Your DP also has a pretty neat AA hitbox in that you can use it to cover yourself from crossups but you can't use it to hit someone who is diagonal and towards you. That's one of the most significant complications, but there's also the fact that it's guard point and therefore not a true DP, meaning it will lose to all "real" DPs.

cj_iwakura

just a reminder that xie will have a side stream at evo. here's the schedule

Friday (7/6/12)
P4A Casuals: 8AM-12PM
BB Singles: 12PM-5PM
GG Singles: 5PM-7PM
BB Singles Finals: 7PM-10PM

Saturday (7/7/12)
P4A Casuals: 8AM-10AM
BB Teams: 10AM-2PM
MB Singles: 2PM-5PM
BB Teams Finals: 5PM-6PM
P4A Casuals: 6PM-10PM

Miiight wanna post the link.

http://twitch.tv/xiei

NEO0MJ

Just bought this a couple of weeks ago and I must admit, I really missed how much fun this game is. Forgot to play with all my old mains but Tager, so I'll have to do a lot of catching up, even without factoring the changes between this and Chrono Trigger.
So far my fav' new characters are Hazama, Makoto and Relius. Sucks how weak Makoto supposedly is, and her drive is pretty hard to use. As for Hazama, I really have no idea what to do with him. But still, fun.

Noi

Just bought this a couple of weeks ago and I must admit, I really missed how much fun this game is. Forgot to play with all my old mains but Tager, so I'll have to do a lot of catching up, even without factoring the changes between this and Chrono Trigger.
So far my fav new characters are Hazama, Makoto and Relius.

...That probably made me laugh harder than I should have.

Nice to see that you're enjoying it though!

Tizoc

Sooooooooooooo any word on when BlazBlue 3 is gonna be announced? When's AOU at?
Also are there any combo videos that feature combos into Astrals?

Sooooooooooooo any word on when BlazBlue 3 is gonna be announced? When's AOU at?
dude

If ASW is smart with this, we probably won't see BlazBlue 3 hit American shores until late 2013 or early 2014(likely). Persona and Guilty Gear will keep them busy for a good while.
Don't know, but Plat can combo into easily iirc.

OmegaZero

So, Jin's 14th challenge...
I've been stuck on it for a number of days...

It's always the j.C>j.2C>dash>5B that gets me, since I either pull off the j.C>j.2C, land and dash only to find that Bang has already recovered and blocks my 5B or land and mess-up on the dash, making the 5B come out too late. :/

Fugu

Most combos into astrals are short and boring because astrals generally aren't very fast.

If ASW is smart with this, they'll really change the game as opposed to sending out another iterative release.

Tizoc

Yeah I expect them to have significant changes made in BB3.
...but just for a quick recap on the story-
Jin goes off to train with Jubei
Where'd Ragna go?
Bang and Tao are on their way to Ikaruga, but how far is it from where they live?
Is Makoto working on Hazama's side now?
Do you think we'll get a playable Murakumo unit?
...and wasn't Saya Ragna and Jin's sister at the orphanage? I thought Saya was Noel, what gives?

Anyone who is willing to play me on the PS3 can give me a heads up. Doesn't seem like anyone on my friends list has been active with this game.
Most combos into astrals are short and boring because astrals generally aren't very fast.

If ASW is smart with this, they'll really change the game as opposed to sending out another iterative release.
What do you want to see changed?

*Shorten combos across the board and increase damage
*Get rid of purple throws. Green throws are enough
*Increase jump and fall speed
*Add 250 frames of animation to each existing character(pipe dream I know lol)
*Give Tager some extra mobility in the form of a slow ground dash(no armor)
*Allow us to skip to the end of astrals at press of a button
*Speed up nearly all supers across the board

Some things I wouldn't mind seeing added or taken from the game.

Noi

Signs point to yes. I'll throw a fit otherwise.

As for the last one,
All the Murakumo units, Noel, Nu and Lambda included, are clones of Saya. Bang is traveling with Carl, Ragna is traveling with Tao.

Anyone who is willing to play me on the PS3 can give me a heads up. Doesn't seem like anyone on my friends list has been active with this game.

I'm not sure what my skill level is in CSEX, but I'm not against getting some Lambda practice in. I'll add ya on PSN once I get home.

Yeah, it's usually just grab into Astral, ABC into Astral, or command normal into Astral. While we're on this subject, can Ragna combo into his from anything other than his front throw? Yeah, it's not really practical to do this stuff, but I like my arcade playthroughs to try and beat Unlimiter Mu to be as flashy as possible >.>

Jesus she's much fucking worse than Ragna...

Yeah I expect them to have significant changes made in BB3.
...but just for a quick recap on the story-
Where'd Ragna go?
Is Makoto working on Hazama's side now?
...and wasn't Saya Ragna and Jin's sister at the orphanage? I thought Saya was Noel, what gives?

-Ikaruga
-Not likely at all
-Definitely
-Clone shenanigans

Fugu

What do you want to see changed?

*Shorten combos across the board and increase damage
*Get rid of purple throws. Green throws are enough
*Increase jump and fall speed
*Add 250 frames of animation to each existing character(pipe dream I know lol)
*Give Tager some extra mobility in the form of a slow ground dash(no armor)
*Allow us to skip to the end of astrals at press of a button
*Speed up nearly all supers across the board

Some things I wouldn't mind seeing added or taken from the game.
The current mechanics don't lend themselves well to simply removing purple throws. Purple throws exist because the game is slow enough to allow characters to throw people during hit/block stun. You would either have to make throws whiff during that period -- causing the safe throw window to be unusually small and making wakeup throws basically worthless -- or you would have to make them green, thereby making throws batshit overpowered.

I think they need to add a whole lot of new content (read: moves) to the game. Litchi has had more or less the same moveset since CT; we got two new moves in CS1, and really all they've done is majiggered around the moves that we already have. And frankly I'm sick of that because it's inconsistent and means re-learning things you already know for absolutely no reason. They just need to expand on the playstyle of the existing characters in a meaningful way instead of changing them around every six months.

They also need to make consistent things like corner carry, because it's completely bizarre and it seems like they just don't consider it when balancing characters. Their combination of making the game all about the corner and seemingly ignoring that this is how a lot of characters get people there is what has made me seriously disillusioned with CSEX.

Tizoc

Yeah, it's usually just grab into Astral, ABC into Astral, or command normal into Astral. While we're on this subject, can Ragna combo into his from anything other than his front throw? Yeah, it's not really practical to do this stuff, but I like my arcade playthroughs to try and beat Unlimiter Mu to be as flashy as possible >.>

Jesus she's much fucking worse than Ragna...

-Ikaruga
-Not likely at all
-Definitely
-Clone shenanigans

Sorry I meant Tsubaki not Makoto, my bad >_<.

Could someone explain the clone shenanigans for me plz?

Oh, then change that to a yes, very likely.

Saya becomes Imperator somehow I don't know/remember. Hazama and Relius clone her 13 times. The 11th is Lambda which Kokonoe and Tager find in Ikaruga IIRC, 12th is Noel/Mu who inherits the Azure, and 13th is our favorite yandere Nu who becomes the Black Beast through time shenanigans, but got destroyed in the current timeline to break the timeloop in CT, and then her consciousness was passed to Lambda, and then she died again, and then Relius repaired her or something at the end of CS.

shtkn

I think they need to add a whole lot of new content (read: moves) to the game. Litchi has had more or less the same moveset since CT; we got two new moves in CS1, and really all they've done is majiggered around the moves that we already have. And frankly I'm sick of that because it's inconsistent and means re-learning things you already know for absolutely no reason. They just need to expand on the playstyle of the existing characters in a meaningful way instead of changing them around every six months.

They also need to make consistent things like corner carry, because it's completely bizarre and it seems like they just don't consider it when balancing characters. Their combination of making the game all about the corner and seemingly ignoring that this is how a lot of characters get people there is what has made me seriously disillusioned with CSEX.

i'm hoping some characters get reworked (arakune is lame), and others get more interesting tools.

i don't know what you mean by your second paragraph though...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah, it's probably not going to happen.

I just like it when it's shown how characters change over the period between games.

In a way Eddie was sorta half way to a complete redesign his entire minions 6 move set was completely changed. King of Fighters Iori also went through an entire move set change

NEO0MJ

Just finished story mode. Pretty fun, cringe-worthy as it were, especially the anime cut scenes.
Gameplay wise I might drop Hazama and Makoto, having too much difficulty using them right for now so I'll focus on another character till I feel comfortable enough to play with the rest of the cast, maybe Hakumen or Tager. Anyone here still play this online?

Top Bottom