• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat

cj_iwakura

I beat him a couple times.

God I'll never pull off a corner combo like that again. Linked into Confutata Maledictus.

We can invite you if you like.

Onemic

Still unsure of maining Bang, Ragna, or Hakumen. Oddly enough I've gotten the farthest in challenge mode with Hakumen and Mu. And I've put in the least amount of time with Mu.

cj_iwakura

I feel like I've gotten a lot more versatile with Tsubaki, but I still can't do the ultra nice stuff the pros do, like abusing her anti-air into massive combos. Her air throws are pretty sweet too.

NEO0MJ

Been trying to play with Valkenhayn but without good combos his damage output is pretty low. Sucks that you have to use a different wolf Tornado from the one you just used in a combo or it won't cause damage, that would have made using him much easier =p

Onemic

Good games, everyone.

I think I'mma pick this back up again in the coming days.

Until P4A comes out.

Been trying to play with Valkenhayn but without good combos his damage output is pretty low. Sucks that you have to use a different wolf Tornado from the one you just used in a combo or it won't cause damage, that would have made using him much easier =p

Are you on PSN?

Onemic

I'm assuming that trials are more important for this game in terms of learning your character than say SF4? Should I continue or should I just go into training mode and learn their BnB's?(I'm at 48% for Hakumen and Bang and 54% for Mu)

And I still Find Ragna's trials the absolute hardest out of all the character challenges I've done.(Still stuck on mission 7) Im already done half of Mu's trials in less than half the time.

i don't think trials are that important

you'll be alright if you don't do them

so unless you just want to do them, don't stress over it

Shaffield

I'm still pretty pathetic at this game, but I've been playing quite a bit for the last few weeks getting ready for P4A.

If anyone wants to beat my ass online, feel free to add me and stuff.

PSN is Jodash64, I'm maining Noel

Onemic

I'm still pretty pathetic at this game, but I've been playing quite a bit for the last few weeks getting ready for P4A.

I doubt you're worse than me, I'm still getting familiar with normals, and Hakumens BnB is a pain in the ass. So many random timing requirements.

Shaffield

I doubt you're worse than me, I'm still getting familiar with normals, and Hakumens BnB is a pain in the ass. So many random timing requirements.

I'm kinda in the same boat, trying to tweak some combos I picked up from Challenge mode so that I can reliably pull them off.

I would be down to play some matches later today, it would be nice to get in some practice against someone of a similar skill level, since a lot of the online crowd seems to be pretty advanced

Fugu

You can go ahead and ignore challenge mode combos. While a lot of them look like real combos, they are almost universally less efficient than bnbs. Look up a guide on Dustloop; almost every character (not Litchi. Dustloop so godlike) has a combo thread with an informative OP.

Challenge mode isn't meant to teach you things. Rather, it's meant to challenge you.

Onemic

I'm kinda in the same boat, trying to tweak some combos I picked up from Challenge mode so that I can reliably pull them off.

I would be down to play some matches later today, it would be nice to get in some practice against someone of a similar skill level, since a lot of the online crowd seems to be pretty advanced

Was AFK so didn't see your message. I'll be down for matches later though if you'll be on.

Fugu

I wouldn't say that. While the combo itself might be impractical, you might still pick up an idea or two from it to apply in your game.
Not really, and the more complicated the character's combos are, the less relevant challenge mode becomes. The things that vary from the established BnBs are less efficient. Litchi's challenge mode combos are harder, do less damage, and give worse knockdown than her BnBs; they're not worth learning. I'm extremely comfortable with Litchi and I still wouldn't be able to do challenge mode #15 consistently because it's so bizarre that it has no practical applications.

Onemic

Damn man you can already do a few of her combos already, keep at it! I'm still struggling with Hakumens BnB, it's so tricky to get the timing perfect, so I pretty much cant use it in game. Since I've pretty much exclusively been practicing that since yesterday I don't know how to apply any of his normals except for his 4c which is a long range poke. Gonna try playing with Bang's and Mu's BnB's later tonight and I'll decide who to main based off that.

And sorry for the random taunting, That's what happens when you mash lol.

Shaffield

Damn man you can already do a few of her combos already, keep at it! I'm still struggling with Hakumens BnB, it's so tricky to get the timing perfect, so I pretty much cant use it in game. Since I've pretty much exclusively been practicing that since yesterday I don't know how to apply any of his normals except for his 4c which is a long range poke. Gonna try playing with Bang's and Mu's BnB's later tonight and I'll decide who to main based off that.

And sorry for the random taunting, That's what happens when you mash lol.

lol, thanks! basically I just found that 2D is a good mix-up, and any of the Chain Revolver after that is just mashing :p

Noi

Good stuff you two! I still need to work on getting used to this stick, waaaay too much dropped stuff due to not being used to movement on it.

Onemic

I think I've finally found my main in Bang. Went through training mode with him and his BnB's are straightforward and fun. Will be sticking with him for the time being as my definite main with Mu as a side, since I have tons of fun playing with her. Hakumens getting retired; he really seems like a character to use when you're already accustomed to the ins and outs of the game.

Kokonoe

Banned
Question, what exactly is "Team Battle"? I misplaced my memories of it, from what I recall it's online tag team with up to 4 players.

xero273

Question, what exactly is "Team Battle"? I misplaced my memories of it, from what I recall it's online tag team with up to 4 players.

From what I remember, you pick a team. player 1 from team a fights player 2 from team b. player 1 wins fights next person from team b and so on.

Fugu

8am - 6pm GMT

And does anyone know why Bang's 5A is considered to be the best jab in the game?
Big range, easy mode comboing, goes into a lot of stuff, hitbox makes it viable as an anti-air, and he only has to dash a very short distance to reset the self-gatling.

If anyone wants to play tonight, post on here and I'll hop on.

Edit: Oh man this game is pissing me off.

Bang is good and all, but I'd had it up to here(my hand is really high up in the air right now, just imagine it) with some of these characters. Litchi stays tossing her stupid stick all day whenever she is not abusing the shit out of her beastly air normals and fuzzy ass mixups. If it's not her then I have to deal with more characters that have dumbass shit like Relius with ridiculous AAs into fatal combos and constant left right mixups without even needing to jump.

Regular Joes like Tager and Bang really have their work cut out with them thanks to slower speed or stubby limbs. I really need Phantasma already. These unorthodox characters really make me just want to give up sometimes and I'm no quitter. Take this from someone who has had to learn Vampire Savior by fighting with people with 5+ years of experience day in and day out. This game can be soul breaking sometimes...
Big range, easy mode comboing, goes into a lot of stuff, hitbox makes it viable as an anti-air, and he only has to dash a very short distance to reset the self-gatling.

I am in.

Onemic

I'm down

And what is a gatling exactly? I hear it all the time.

Bang is good and all, but I'd had it up to here(my hand is really high up in the air right now, just imagine it) with some of these characters. Litchi stays tossing her stupid stick all day whenever she is not abusing the shit out of her beastly air normals and fuzzy ass mixups. If it's not her then I have to deal with more characters that have dumbass shit like Relius with ridiculous AAs into fatal combos and constant left right mixups without even needing to jump.

Regular Joes like Tager and Bang really have their work cut out with them thanks to slower speed or stubby limbs. I really need Phantasma already. These unorthodox characters really make me just want to give up sometimes and I'm no quitter. Take this from someone who has had to learn Vampire Savior by fighting with people with 5+ years of experience day in and day out. This game can be soul breaking sometimes...

I am in.

Tager, yeah he has problems... but Bang? The guy with the two air dashes, right? The one with the annoying nails. The one who has some of the best DDs in the game.

The dude is fast too. His jab is top tier. I have no idea what you're talking about.

5A doesn't do shit to Litchi's air attacks and nails don't mean squat to anyone that can air dash. Litchi's staff also laughs at nails.

It's hardy a 7-3 matchup, but it's annoying.

Fugu

I am in.
Are you actually arguing that Litchi has better tools than Bang in CSEX? That's a joke. Bang is Litchi's worst matchup in CSEX.

Stop jumping into the staff. Play more aggressively. Your pressure is stronger than hers at close range by a wide margin.

I'm down

And what is a gatling exactly? I hear it all the time.
A gatling is the equivalent of a special cancel but for normal moves. It refers to the property that allows one normal to cancel into another normal if you input them successively (as in while the previous one is still active). The most common gatling across characters is 5A 5B 5C. Nearly every character has a 5A that gatlings (normal cancels) back into itself a maximum of three times; after that, you must dash cancel or wait to get another 5A. A gatling table will list all of the possible normals that one move can cancel into. For example, Litchi's 5B[m] (all of my examples are going to be Litchi-related as I don't know shit about any other character):

5B[m] > 6A[m] 6B[m] 2B[m] 5C[m] 2C[m] 6C[m] 3C[m] 4D 6D 5D 2D

This is a very typical gatling table and demonstrates some properties very typical of gatlings. For starters, most moves do not gatling into normals with a more diverse gatling table; all of the moves on that list have less possible gatlings than 5B[m] does. The consequence of this is that the more normals you use in a row, the less gatlings you will have available to you. For example, let's say I score a counterhit 5B[m] so I decide to use 6C[m]. 6C[m]'s gatling table looks like this:

6C[m] > 5D 2D

Now, all I can do, normal-wise, is drop the staff (that's what 5D and 2D do) and my combo is over*. Given that information, the idea behind constructing combos based on gatlings is to build routes that get to endpoints like this as slow as possible. So, instead of going into 6C[m], I could go into 5C[m], which has a gatling table that looks like this:

5C[m] > 3C[m] 4D 6D 5D 2D

Now I have the option to do more normals. 4D and 6D don't combo (they're too slow) and 5D and 2D just drop the staff, so I can continue my combo with 3C[m].

3C[m] > 5D 2D

3C[m] has no useful gatlings but is special cancellable, meaning I can now use tsubame gaeshi (623D), Litchi's DP. And that right there is Litchi's plain hit staff BnB: 5B[m] 5C[m] 3C[m] 623D. There are some moves that have gatlings that create loops but these gatlings are only useful for a limited amount of times. For example, Litchi's 5B gatlings back to 5A (which subsequently gatlings back to 5B), but you can only do it once; if you want to do it again, you have to stop attacking or interrupt it with a dash.

*Not really, but it's not relevant to this discussion. 6C[m] is jump cancellable, so you can IAD towards them and combo them some more.

Noi

Oooh, a lobby tonight? Count me in as well.

I mostly just get to play against my local Ragna friend, so I can use all the matchup experience I can get.

Abusing Bang's jabs a bit more and it's working out. Still haven't run into another good Litch or Relius though. It's those unconventional characters that make me want to pull my hair out like Homer whenever Marge got married.
Tager, yeah he has problems... but Bang? The guy with the two air dashes, right? The one with the annoying nails. The one who has some of the best DDs in the game.

The dude is fast too. His jab is top tier. I have no idea what you're talking about.
It's tough being vanilla top tier, I guess.
Are you actually arguing that Litchi has better tools than Bang in CSEX? That's a joke. Bang is Litchi's worst matchup in CSEX.

Stop jumping into the staff. Play more aggressively. Your pressure is stronger than hers at close range by a wide margin.
Once you're in it's not a problem. It's getting in on her that is a chore and God forbid she pushes you near the corner.

It's a dead heat between those two. No way either one has a major advantage against the others. It's the little things that drive everyone crazy when they have to fight Litchi.

Fugu

It's a dead heat between those two. No way either one has a major advantage against the others. It's the little things that drive everyone crazy when they have to fight Litchi.
No, it's been in Bang's favour since CS1.

LordKinght said:
4.5/5.5 in Bang's favor IMO. His hitbox on 5B and jB got better, so you can't abuse slide 2A the way you could in CS2 (though it's still somewhat useful). The match is more like CS1, except you have to work harder to take him to the corner....

Fullscreen:
Good idea to set the staff.
Against fullscreen nails - Poison Nail - IB, watch him. D nails - IB > back jump, watch him, or reposition. If they like using nails in neutral, it's better for us.

Midscreen:
Against D nails - IB > backjump or backstep. Jumping is preferable. If you're already in the air (which is the best case scenario), IB and dj/airdash awa/whatever. IB is +6 in the air.
Against jump ins - have to judge properly between 2A, 5A, itsuu, launch staff, jA... like CS1, there isn't one universal answer anymore. 5A definitely will never ever beat j4B btw. Slide 2A still works if they assume you'll stand up to block.
Against 5B - your 5B still wins. Staffless, use 2B. Slide 2A loses :/. Using 6D against it will trade in your favor.
Against 3C - just jump, don't try doing your 3C back on reaction. I'm thinking of trying to j2D it on reaction, gotta check. If you read it though, using your 3C is a fine answer. They will use 3C to stop Itsuu/6B.

Bang's Pressure:
2A > 2A = gap
5A > dash 5A = can't 2A in between unless you IB, but if you mash 5A you'll win for sure.
2A > 5B = gap
5A > 2A > no gap
5B > 5C/6A = gap
5B > 2B = no gap
Meaty 2B = beats backstep
Blocked 6D or 5D = always, always, ALWAYS use Tsbuame, he literally can't do ANYTHING to stop this, it's -13 and -15 on block (respectively), and Tsubame is 11f startup, meaning he can't do any 5D > block or 5D > Super crash shenanigans on you.
Meaty 5C = Don't dp this, he recovers before it comes out.
2B > D nails = An interesting situation, he's something like +5 on block, so first off, you should always IB this. If they like doing dash > normal, you can try doing IB > barrier jump (as barrier jumping makes your hitbox smaller than doing a normal jump). You can also IB throw, as your throw could beat a dashing normal. Both of those options are pretty risky though. Blocking is the safest, watchout for command grab after this.
2B > jump J4B = the basic low level Bang pressure, airthrow this shit.

So, basically Bang's pressure isn't too hard to deal with if you know what he has, the problem is he has a ton of options, he has D nails, and he has a command grab to keep you from just blocking all day. In between 2A > anything pretty much, you can't mash to get out, but you can DP (gotta practice though). Bang's 2A is -2, so you can DP without IB'ing (though it makes it easier), and if you can do it consistently and make him bait that early in the string, you can just abare/jump/etc. Make him work.

Litchi's pressure:
Bang's 2D kind of sucks to use to mash out this version, the cool thing to do now is 6D, if you read a 6D, use 6A and confirm your FC combo.
Using overhead for meaty occasionally works too.
Vs Ashura - If they do wake up Ashura, you can DP on reaction to super flash. I don't know if you can still clash it with 2A and punish with Ryuuisou, I have to check.
Vs Ashura in pressure - If you have the staff, you can delay any normal, wait for the super flash, and DP.
2A > 2C beats abare, 2A > 2B works pretty nicely as well and 2B goes into 6C > airdash jB etc.
For okizeme in the corner, end with j9B > j7B > jC > land Kokushi and jump straight up, this will beat 6D > tele on wake up 100 percent.
If you don't have meter, end with 6A > 2D > 3way.

Litchi's pokes are dangerous against a character as fast as Bang. It is extremely tough for her to control space. Also, nails are more diverse than the staff as Litchi can't afford to drop it midscreen.

I'm going to start the lobby at 5 EDT (fifteen minutes). If you don't have me, add Fygu.

Fugu

Sweet, I'm in too. someone send me an invite when it gets going
Read above.

I am super out of practice, by the way. I've been working all summer. Let's see how this goes...

Give me about five minutes, guys.

EDIT: Also come on BB so I know who you are

Fugu

Oh dear lord this is laggy.

ALL OF YOU: Stop bursting at the end of combos. Burst at the beginning.

NeoOMJ: Good presence with Hakumen; learning how to combo and hit confirm will go a long way for you. Not sure about your Tager though. You are blocking *way* too much as him. As well, people will expect a 360/720 if you jump before them; learn how to do them without jumping.

Jordash64: What's the deal with the full screen normals that have absolutely no chance of hitting? Good use of 6D though. Stop starting your strings with drive moves though (unless you're punishing something); that's really unsafe. Learn some combos and you'll notice a lot of improvement, as you're landing a lot of good hits.

Noisama: Your fullscreen pressure is decent. Throw more pinwheels -- particularly on knockdown -- and get more comfortable with the different act parsers. One very strong tactic with Lambda is act parser A into grab; once you train your opponent to expect this, you can not grab and punish their attempt to tech your grab with an attack (attacks beat grabs if they both become active at the same time). Learn how to use spikes and gravity well (particularly A gravity well). You, like most of the other people, would do well to learn some combos (I see you've got the 5DD 4DD one down pretty decently; you can do this off of parser C from anywhere). In this match I'm watching right now, you are getting thrown a lot from Tager jump-ins; Lambda has a lot of options to deal with this scenario, such as her numerous anti-airs and her amazing backdash.

AzureRunner: Stop doing double air backdash D nails, as it's very predictable. You should throw them more liberally. You also pick up a fair amount of 2A tech chases but you don't seem to hitconfirm them very often. You have a lot more trouble against defensive Litchi (rounds 1 and 3) than you do against aggressive Litchi (round 2); that leads me to believe that your problem against Litchi is your approach.

Fugu

I'll sit after every full rotation so that other people get to play.

Litchi is a scary bitch; the problem is that she has numerous 5.5 matchups. She's somewhere in the bottom half of the pack but CSEX is so balanced that it's irrelevant. Honestly my number one complaint about Litchi in CSEX is that playing as her is boring compared to literally every previous iteration of the game.

Noi

Noisama: Your fullscreen pressure is decent. Throw more pinwheels -- particularly on knockdown -- and get more comfortable with the different act parsers. One very strong tactic with Lambda is act parser A into grab; once you train your opponent to expect this, you can not grab and punish their attempt to tech your grab with an attack (attacks beat grabs if they both become active at the same time). Learn how to use spikes and gravity well (particularly A gravity well). You, like most of the other people, would do well to learn some combos (I see you've got the 5DD 4DD one down pretty decently; you can do this off of parser C from anywhere). In this match I'm watching right now, you are getting thrown a lot from Tager jump-ins; Lambda has a lot of options to deal with this scenario, such as her numerous anti-airs and her amazing backdash.

Thanks! It would probably do me well to actually check out dustloop and learn some of Lambda's bnb's, since pretty much all I do is self-taught via training mode and local matches. Doesn't help that I've got executions errors up the wazoo from making the switch to stick recently, hence why I even drop a simple damn 5DD at times.

Still deadly afraid of Litchi's pressure and mixups though. Unsure of what to do in a corner situation against her.

Fugu

Thanks! It would probably do me well to actually check out dustloop and learn some of Lambda's bnb's, since pretty much all I do is self-taught via training mode and local matches. Doesn't help that I've got executions errors up the wazoo from making the switch from to stick recently, hence why I even drop a simple damn 5DD at times.

Still deadly afraid of Litchi's pressure and mixups though. Unsure of what to do in a corner situation against her.
Because you are playing as Lambda, you literally have to just never allow her to get you into the corner; you are at a serious disadvantage there, not just because Litchi is strong in the corner but because Lambda has a very weak short game. Also, A gravity well is a DP. Learn how to use it.

My Lambda friend (who is about as good as I am) uses her CA. Try that.

Easier said than done. Certain starters lead to bigger combos and bursts are limited in availability. Litchi is the kind of character that can carry you pretty far even off a miniscule hit confirm. If every single button led to the same damage and setup(or a character's moveset were very limited) then looking for appropriate burst times would be a piece of cake, but that is certainly not the case.

Your basic idea is correct though.
Because you are playing as Lambda, you literally have to just never allow her to get you into the corner; you are at a serious disadvantage there, not just because Litchi is strong in the corner but because Lambda has a very weak short game. Also, A gravity well is a DP. Learn how to use it.
Yep, Nu wants to be in midscreen chucking those swords and gravity wells all day.
AzureRunner: Stop doing double air backdash D nails, as it's very predictable. You should throw them more liberally. You also pick up a fair amount of 2A tech chases but you don't seem to hitconfirm them very often. You have a lot more trouble against defensive Litchi (rounds 1 and 3) than you do against aggressive Litchi (round 2); that leads me to believe that your problem against Litchi is your approach.
Running out of nails against her in particular is scary.

I'll sit after every full rotation so that other people get to play.

Litchi is a scary bitch; the problem is that she has numerous 5.5 matchups. She's somewhere in the bottom half of the pack but CSEX is so balanced that it's irrelevant. Honestly my number one complaint about Litchi in CSEX is that playing as her is boring compared to literally every previous iteration of the game.

EVERYONE is boring, imo. Extend turned all the fun down and made everything boring. I'm not sure why the meta game became pushing everyone into corner.

Top Bottom