• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat

NEO0MJ

If you're on PSN, we can play sometime.

I haven't touched this game in a few months though.

Maybe you'll be as bad as me, though I doubt it =p

Anyways, there's the whole region thing, but maybe it won't be so bad. I played some people from the US before in CT and the connection was actually pretty good most of the time.

cj_iwakura

I lost, oh, 13 games straight last night.

Friday nights are brutal.

So many dang Jins. I almost beat a Noel, a Relius and a Hazama though!

TheGreatReptar

Neo Member
This was discovered a while ago, but if you haven't seen them, might be worth checking (just saw it when Coopa was streaming earlier).
Persona 4 Arena players have discovered a glitch with the proration that translates to their other games too.

Platinum's are all impractical sadly...

Just to explain how SMP combos work, if your character has more than 10 moves with same move proration, if you do a combo with 11 or more same move proration moves, the game ends up ignoring the same move proration on every move past the 10th one.

Basically, when ArcSys added SMP into the engine in BBCS1, they probably only made 10 spots in the game's memory to save what SMP moves have been used in a combo. It wasn't a problem then, since pretty much everyone had fewer than 10 SMP moves, but never increased the number of moves that could be saved to memory when characters started getting larger numbers of SMP moves.

Onemic

Looks like there's a local BB scene around my area and they might be getting P4A too.....I'm now thinking of picking that game up in anticipation of P4A. Good idea? bad idea? Will the BB scene(online and off) die with the release of P4A?(not that the offline scene was that great anyway)

Onemic

Wouldn't hurt to pick it up, game is awesome and I don't think the community is going anywhere.

A few questions then. Whos playstyle is most similar to Ryu? And how do Mu and Lambda play? they seem to be exactly the same. I play street fighter mainly so any references to them would help me understand each characters play style a little bit more.

The characters I'm interested in are:

Ragna, Jin, Bang, Hakumen, Mu and Lambda,

NEO0MJ

The character most similar to Ryu would be Jin, he's the easiest for newcomers to use and will help you get an idea of how the game flows. Ragna is also a great begginer character, though he plays differently from a shoto.

I don't use Mu and Lambda much, but there are very different characters, though both are great at keep away.

Hakumen and Bang are pretty complex fighters that you might want to leave for later, especially Bang. At least that's my opinion on the two.

Noi

A few questions then. Whos playstyle is most similar to Ryu? And how do Mu and Lambda play? they seem to be exactly the same. I play street fighter mainly so any references to them would help me understand each characters play style a little bit more.

Jin is the closest you'll get to a "Ryu" in the game, but even that is stretching it. Mu and Lamda don't play remotely alike, nor do any of the characters in the game. It's a bit hard to just point out Street Fighter references because every character's playstyle and moveset varies greatly and they each have their own subsystems to work with, as well as there not being an army of Shoto clones with slight move variations to choose from.

The overview for Lambda and Mu in the Wiki should give you an idea of how their playstyles differ.

Onemic

Jin is the closest you'll get to a "Ryu" in the game, but even that is stretching it. Mu and Lamda don't play remotely alike, nor do any of the characters in the game. It's a bit hard to just point out Street Fighter references because every character's playstyle and moveset varies greatly and they each have their own subsystems to work with, as well as there not being an army of Shoto clones with slight move variations to choose from.

The overview for Lambda and Mu in the Wiki should give you an idea of how their playstyles differ.

Is nu-13 also a playable character

I'll probably pick it up today if anything.

Noi

Is nu-13 also a playable character

I'll probably pick it up today if anything.

Technically. She was playable in Calamity Trigger, but she's only playable in the later versions as Lambda's Unlimited form.

Though that might change once BB3 comes around...

Fugu

You can't play any character as defensively as you can play Ryu.

Ragna: Offensive-oriented character with a great mid-range game and passable defenses due to a strong DP and a gimmick that allows him to restore small amounts of health through drive (read: big and slow) attacks. He has no projectiles and therefore has limited regulation at fullscreen. In this version of the game, he is brain dead easy to learn and play well, and he dominates much of the cast in non-pro play.

Jin: Jin has a lot of options and he is probably the most versatile character in the cast. He has several projectiles that allow him to zone at full screen, as well as above average pressure tools and one of the best air-to-air games. He also gets good corner carry from midscreen and his counter super forces characters to play differently against him in the corner when he has heat (meter). However, he doesn't get particularly good damage and his normals are somewhat lacking, making his offensive game not great. His learning curve is fairly middling.

Bang: Bang is an unusual character. He has amazing mobility and, far and away, the best jab in the entire game, which make him a strong offensive character. Moreover, he also has one of the game's best projectiles (D nails), one of the game's most diverse and dangerous supers (Daifunka), and the second best defensive stats, along with Hakumen. His damage isn't great, however, and his defensive options are relatively difficult to utilize. Bang is a somewhat difficult character to learn but the sheer power of his offence often does a good job of bullying people out of their quarters, so he can be fairly rewarding.

Hakumen: Hakumen is the most defence-oriented character in the game. He builds meter without doing anything, he has extremely strong normals with great reach, he can break projectiles, and he has an invincible counter that shuts down a significant percentage of offensive options that are otherwise guaranteed against other characters. Hakumen also forces a lot of characters to play against him differently in the corner, due in large part to the presence of the counter. His damage is also second to none. He has very weak mobility however, due to the lack of a real ground dash (he has a SF-style dash where he hops forward), and little ability to play offensively. Hakumen isn't a difficult character to learn but the execution requirements are somewhat high and you need to be competent at blocking.

Lambda: The OG zoner of BlazBlue. She has a lot of great projectiles and absolutely ridiculous backdashes, as well as some unique play concepts that make her extremely effective on the offence. She has about a billion anti-air options, as well as a "DP" that causes the opponent to move from side to side extremely slowly within an area (it's difficult to explain, but it's very useful). The tradeoff is extremely weak pressure, defenses, and corner game. Lambda requires a lot of patience but has a fairly low execution requirement.

Mu: Mu is difficult to explain. She is primarily driven by an unconventional projectile that can be charged, is interrupted on hit, and bounces around the screen on a fixed pattern determined by the steins (oblong diamonds) that you place on the screen. She also has a fairly good air game, one of the strongest and most useful overheads, a nice DP, and good damage. She is very diverse and, in that way, not at all like Lambda; she can accommodate most play styles effectively. Of the characters you've listed, she's probably the most complex to learn. However, I play her a bit myself and she's a ton of fun.

The true answer to the "who should I play" question is always Litchi, though. Litchi. Litchi Litchi Litchi Litchi Litchi.

Onemic

Litchi is that girl with the staff right? Not really feeling her design, what makes her so good? Besides from being your avatar, heh.

EDIT: After watching some videos of Hakumen vs Litchi, she actually seems like a pretty kickass character in terms of play style. Other than her annoying as hell scream from getting hit.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Play Mu, she's easy as fuck to pick up and fun to boot. Or maybe I just feel that way cause she's pretty much an altered Ky Kiske *shrug* In the weirdest way she would be the closest to a shoto style. In the long run though it's not the same at all and more complex. Her main issue is that some of her better reaching normals are actually pretty slow and her hurtbox on them goes out further than it really should thus making them lose out on things you think you would clash wiff or straight up beat.

Jin's not that hard to play but his combos are weird if you never had experience with them as a lot of his stuff combos that doesnt feel like it should.

Onemic

After watching some videos to get a better idea of how each person plays, I've wittled my list down to:

Ragna, Bang, Hakumen, Litchi, and Mu

There are so many Jin players man, damn.

Fugu

Litchi is that girl with the staff right? Not really feeling her design, what makes her so good? Besides from being your avatar, heh.

EDIT: After watching some videos of Hakumen vs Litchi, she actually seems like a pretty kickass character in terms of play style. Other than her annoying as hell scream from getting hit.
Use her Japanese voice.

Litchi has great pokes, probably the best pressure in the game and easily the best oki (especially in the corner), good mobility, by far the most diverse moveset, and an amazing projectile. However, you depend an awful lot on good reads to make any of this work as you only have access to half of her moves at any given time and the correct use of her projectile takes a lot of experience, both due to the fact that there are two distinct trajectories and that hitconfirming it is very difficult. She also has below-average damage and extremely poor carry. This, combined with the fact that she's very execution heavy (although not nearly as much as she was before) means that it's probably going to be awhile before you do any winning with her.

Onemic

I did it. I got the game. I'm a horrible human being.

Whoa Fugu you're from Toronto? Do you visit any local arcades by any chance?

Fugu

I did it. I got the game. I'm a horrible human being.

Whoa Fugu you're from Toronto? Do you visit any local arcades by any chance?
I go to Lovegety every once in awhile and I go to most TTT things. However, I *really* dislike this revision of BB so I haven't been out much lately.

Onemic

I go to Lovegety every once in awhile and I go to most TTT things. However, I *really* dislike this revision of BB so I haven't been out much lately.

oh shite, I was actually planning on going there tomorrow for the first time. The dudes from dustloop told me to come down, probably to make me spends tons of money on tokens for matches that I'll lose. D:

Fugu

Don't buy tokens. Go prepared with quarters if you can; the machines take quarters.

I would go, but I'm going to Osheaga. Maybe some other time though. Lovegety is pretty cool; it's open pretty late and it's basically the only arcade of its kind in Canada. I am also pretty certain that the level of gambling that it offers is not quite legal.

EDIT: If you do buy tokens, buy them from the guy, not the machine. He'll give you a better price on them. Just ring the little bell.

The Dustloop guys are really cool, too. They just don't like BB as much as you might think they would.

Onemic

Don't buy tokens. Go prepared with quarters if you can; the machines take quarters.

I would go, but I'm going to Osheaga. Maybe some other time though. Lovegety is pretty cool; it's open pretty late and it's basically the only arcade of its kind in Canada. I am also pretty certain that the level of gambling that it offers is not quite legal.

EDIT: If you do buy tokens, buy them from the guy, not the machine. He'll give you a better price on them. Just ring the little bell.

What kind of arcade is it exactly? And do they have a bill to coin exchange or do you just have to get your own?

And Iwakura you're too popular for me to add to my friends list :(

Fugu

There's a bill exchange, but it'll only give you tokens. The machines take quarters anyway though, so there's no point in exchanging your money for it. If you don't have quarters though, you also shouldn't use the machine because if you buy $20 worth of tokens he usually gives you extra. BB is 75 cents.

Lovegety has a lot of generic cabs with different fighting games in them, and a lot of imports (they have Initial D 5, for example). They also have these sketchy gambling machines that produce the majority of their patronage.

cj_iwakura

What kind of arcade is it exactly? And do they have a bill to coin exchange or do you just have to get your own?

And Iwakura you're too popular for me to add to my friends list :(

I probably got deluged in GAF invites. :( I'll do some cleaning up.

Clear now.

It should be in the options and in the character select screen above the timer.

Edit: Oh, you mean how the buttons should go?

BCD
A

or

ABC
D

your choice.

Fugu

A is square. B is triangle. C is R1. Drive is X. This is the type 2 layout on cabinets and is the most popular.

Good games, onemic. I'm sorry I couldn't show you anything impressive. It's been awhile since I've touched the game, and I was never that good to begin with. I'm always up for games if you want someone to practice against though.

Is this anything like Guilty Gear?

Kinda.

Onemic

Milk kicked my ass to the curb. This game is reallllly technical, I spent over an hour going through the tutorial, bursts, counter throws, failed throw escapes, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember.

It also seems like corner pressure is the most important thing as its so damn hard to get out once you're in.

I tried a bunch of characters, and it seems like Ragna, Hakumen, and bang appeal to the most out of everyone. I think I'll either main Ragna or Bang and have Hakumen as my side.

Good games, onemic. I'm sorry I couldn't show you anything impressive. It's been awhile since I've touched the game, and I was never that good to begin with. I'm always up for games if you want someone to practice against though.

Kinda.

ggs, you were really impressive there, and isn't lvl50 the max you can go? You pretty much kept me in the corner 100% of the time. One thing I don't get is teching throws. I'm guessing you can't OS tech like you can in SF4? The times that I knew you were gonna throw it either didnt register or I got a failed throw escape.

Looks like it's gonna take me a very long time to get familiar with this game.

Noi

I made the switch from pad to stick yesterday, so I've been working out the nuances of movement and proper finger placement, though I keep hitting D with my index instead of my thumb. That muscle memory... Thankfully I play Lambda, so I don't have to worry about srk inputs just yet.

Go ahead and shoot me an invite if you see me online, onemic. I need to work these kinks out by actually playing people!

Option Selecting a throw tech? Uhh, I think you can? I think the tutorial even mentions it. It's probably just your timing. I'd say practice it in training mode.

If I had to guess, I'd think 99 or 100 would be the max level. No clue though.

And most importantly, you just got the game yesterday? Give it some time.

I'm surprised this thread is alive. And Milk is winning? :mad:

Anyway, is anyone picking up p4a? I wasn't going to but I just watched some vids and it looks fun.

Platinum tossing every goddamn thing under the sun pisses me off. Well.... that set a horrible tone for my online fighting in BlazBlue today.

It's really active today too,

Onemic

Is it just me or are Ragna's trials really hard? Out of the trials I've done for Hakumen, mu, and bang, Ragna's seems to be the most difficult as every combo requires a ridiculous amount of followup options that do next to no damage at all. I'm stuck at trial 4, while I've gotten to trial 6 with Hakumen, who seems like he should be the harder character.

Solune

Is it just me or are Ragna's trials really hard? Out of the trials I've done for Hakumen, mu, and bang, Ragna's seems to be the most difficult as every combo requires a ridiculous amount of followup options that do next to no damage at all. I'm stuck at trial 4, while I've gotten to trial 6 with Hakumen, who seems like he should be the harder character.

For me Jin's was the easiest followed by Ragna. The hardest part of Ragna's are the Blood Kain combos, but it mainly comes down to muscle memory.

Solune

Yeah but your main is Ragna.

That's like me saying that Rachel's combos are easier than Ragna's.

I genuinely think Ragna has some of the easier combos in the game though, onemic even said that Hakumen seems to be the harder character, I would agree with that.

I've been playing BlazBlue for years now and I just realized that I never asked that question even once despite the fact that Baiken is my favorite GG character.

How the hell did that happen?

cj_iwakura

I'd like to say it's Hakumen or maybe Jin, style wise, but Hakumen's beasty sword combos say Baiken more to me than Jin's classy ones.

Onemic

I'd like to say it's Hakumen or maybe Jin, style wise, but Hakumen's beasty sword combos say Baiken more to me than Jin's classy ones.

Looks like I made the right choice then. Even though I've only played GG one or two times Baiken was by far my favourite. Love her design.

For Hakumen though does anyone know how to do his 7th challenge? I can do the whole thing but the j.C always seems to whiff. I thought that maybe it was because I timed it too late, but doing it earlier causes nothing to come out at all and doing it later causes the opponent to recover. The j.C always seems to come out just above the opponent then at the middle of his hitbox. Watching the demonstration vid I actually don't know what I'm doing wrong.

cj_iwakura

Looks like I made the right choice then. Even though I've only played GG one or two times Baiken was by far my favourite. Love her design.

For Hakumen though does anyone know how to do his 7th challenge? I can do the whole thing but the j.C always seems to whiff. I thought that maybe it was because I timed it too late, but doing it earlier causes nothing to come out at all and doing it later causes the opponent to recover. The j.C always seems to come out just above the opponent then at the middle of his hitbox. Watching the demonstration vid I actually don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Bang's timing is tricky as heck. It helps to take a break after each challenge you clear and come back to it later.

Also I'm down for a match if you see me on.

Fugu

Heh, Master Milk is beating everyone? Now I want to play. I wonder if he's gotten better.

You can option select throw but it cuts your tech time in half; the only use of it is wakeup option select throw barrier, which is 1/4+ABC.

The game is about getting people in the corner and keeping them there unless you play a zoning character.

Top Bottom