• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat

Onemic

I keep feeling like playing this again and messing with Bang, but Persona keeps telling me no. BBCP come out already.

Yeah, I never wanna not hold a button to tech again.

I think they are adding that to BBCP.

I am kind of looking forward to not having an auto combo. I mean just knowing it's not there and that everything I do will have to come from me manually linking stuff together.

I'm thinking of maybe picking up Extend if I can get it somewhere for cheap.

Onemic

Any Bang players know which situations to use his drive moves when blocking pressure? Ive been p4a'd out and now it's back to learning how to play this game again.

Any Bang players know which situations to use his drive moves when blocking pressure? Ive been p4a'd out and now it's back to learning how to play this game again.

I think it's better to use them in a combo more than a counter. Although if you want to use it, I've seen the 2D version used the most during a blockstring. Pretty sure this answers nothing.

Onemic

I think it's better to use them in a combo more than a counter. Although if you want to use it, I've seen the 2D version used the most during a blockstring. Pretty sure this answers nothing.

hahaha, any info will be useful for me here, Im such a BB scrub.

I was reading the bang forums on Dustloop, and they keep talking about using different D normals to get out of pressure due to its autoguard ability, but they never really went into that much detail on it.

Anyone wanna body me for a few?

I haven't played the game in a while, much less Bang, but I do know that it's best to only use his drive defensively when you're 100% sure it'll block something AND the opponent won't recover fast enough to punish the teleport.

So yeah, it's better to just use it in combos.

6D(forward D) seems to work better on the ground than 2D. That would make sense since it guards low and mid unlike 2D which is better as an anti air or against opponents that use lots of standing overheads.

Anyone wanna body me for a few?
Maybe after today's VSav tournament.
Do you use it defensively at all?
I've more or less flipped my usage of 2D around with 6D instead. I'd tell you that it has been hugely beneficial, but I haven't had a good BB match in months. I'll say this much... 6D seems to be more popular in Japan and they definitely know what they are doing in BB compared to America.

Onemic

Maybe after today's VSav tournament.

I've more or less flipped my usage of 2D around with 6D instead. I'd tell you that it has been hugely beneficial, but I haven't had a good BB match in months. I'll say this much... 6D seems to be more popular in Japan and they definitely know what they are doing in BB compared to America.

Can you use it to punish someone pressuring you with frame traps? I saw that one of them(not sure which D) has autoguard starting from the first frame

If I had seen this earlier . . . ._.

Im still up for games if you want

I can't say... I'm not good with the technical stuff. They both work well enough in a pinch and if I'm fighting someone truly sneaky I'll just use 50 meter to punch him to the other side of the stage. I could get online for a bit...

Onemic

I can't say... I'm not good with the technical stuff. They both work well enough in a pinch and if I'm fighting someone truly sneaky I'll just use 50 meter to punch him to the other side of the stage. I could get online for a bit...

Just played a few games and I think I'll ill leave D alone for now lol. I keep getting my ass punished for using it.

Also is there a roll in this game? It seems like once you're in a corner you're pretty much fucked unless some roll mechanic exists.

Im still up for games if you're gonna go on.

Onemic

ggs man, any tips you can give me in terms of what to work on?

It's crazy you can risk going for bangs command throw in the middle of a combo for crazy damage.

whoops, double posting

LMN

Hi guys, I have some questions? Is it too late to get blazblue CSE vita? I found one in futureshop(CA) at the price of 29.99 CDN$. Suddenly I have an urged to play this game. How is the BB vita online community? Is it still active? Also, is there a chance that the price will be lower? (boxing day maybe?) Thank for the advice =p.

Just played a few games and I think I'll ill leave D alone for now lol. I keep getting my ass punished for using it.

Also is there a roll in this game? It seems like once you're in a corner you're pretty much fucked unless some roll mechanic exists.

Im still up for games if you're gonna go on.

Like I said, the D is not really meant to be a true reversal. It's really slow and punishable even when you hit. Your best scenario to get out is to random D, and if the opponent's hit connects, teleport out.

Also, the roll is one of the reasons why I think p4a is too easy. It makes it easy mode, which isn't necessarily bad, but it simplifies a lot of things. Once in the corner, you need some patience to get out. Also, dead angle.

Onemic

Like I said, the D is not really meant to be a true reversal. It's really slow and punishable even when you hit. Your best scenario to get out is to random D, and if the opponent's hit connects, teleport out.

Also, the roll is one of the reasons why I think p4a is too easy. It makes it easy mode, which isn't necessarily bad, but it simplifies a lot of things. Once in the corner, you need some patience to get out. Also, dead angle.

whats that?

danmaku

It's called dead angle attack in GG, in BB the name is counter assault. It's an attack that does minimal damage but pushes the opponent away. Input is 6A+B while in blockstun and it costs you 50 heat. Good for interrupting opponent's pressure, but you'll lose a primer for the entire round, so you can be guard crushed more easily.

You can also roll out of a corner, but it's unsafe and punishable so use it sparingly, when the opponent doesn't expect it. The safest option in the corner is usually neutral tech and block.

Onemic

It's called dead angle attack in GG, in BB the name is counter assault. It's an attack that does minimal damage but pushes the opponent away. Input is 6A+B while in blockstun and it costs you 50 heat. Good for interrupting opponent's pressure, but you'll lose a primer for the entire round, so you can be guard crushed more easily.

You can also roll out of a corner, but it's unsafe and punishable so use it sparingly, when the opponent doesn't expect it. The safest option in the corner is usually neutral tech and block.

Neutral tech as in B + C to tech throws? Is there a safe way to os it like in SFIV or do you just have to anticipate it? Throws seem to be able to connect from distances that seem out of reach.

Slygmous

Cool, the OT is still around. I've gotten back into 2D fighters since discovering KOF (late, I know) and found this game for cheap so... I beat arcade mode on easy and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing! I chose Tsubaki, she seemed to have simple enough moves, hopefully she's a good choice for beginners?
I haven't even figured out what her Drive move is doing yet, as I've only just gotten to that section of the longass tutorial. Having a lot of fun though, is the online community still active on 360?

danmaku

Neutral tech as in B + C to tech throws? Is there a safe way to os it like in SFIV or do you just have to anticipate it? Throws seem to be able to connect from distances that seem out of reach.

Sorry, by "neutral tech" I just meant getting up normally (by pressing any button). If you press a button and a direction (4 or 6) you get a roll. As for teching throws, there is an option select, indeed: get up and press 4A+B+C or 1A+B+C. If the opponent tries to throw you, you'll break it, if he doesn't the barrier will come out. It only works for a few frames, though, if he delays the throw he'll get you.

Onemic

Sorry, by "neutral tech" I just meant getting up normally (by pressing any button). If you press a button and a direction (4 or 6) you get a roll. As for teching throws, there is an option select, indeed: get up and press 4A+B+C or 1A+B+C. If the opponent tries to throw you, you'll break it, if he doesn't the barrier will come out. It only works for a few frames, though, if he delays the throw he'll get you.

Ah. One more question about teching. How do you do it? Do you just mash a button until you tech or something else? When I'm in the corner constantly hitting a button to tech just messes me up even more because ill tech and there'll be so much garbage on the screen from the other player that ill keep trying to tech when I already have, causing a normal to come out and get countered. Rinse and repeat until death. The one thing I wish arcsys would use in bb from p4a is holding a button to tech instead of having to press it at the exact time.

Ah. One more question about teching. How do you do it? Do you just mash a button until you tech or something else? When I'm in the corner constantly hitting a button to tech just messes me up even more because ill tech and there'll be so much garbage on the screen from the other player that ill keep trying to tech when I already have, causing a normal to come out and get countered. Rinse and repeat until death. The one thing I wish arcsys would use in bb from p4a is holding a button to tech instead of having to press it at the exact time.

When I tech, I alternate A and B rapidly.

As for the bolded part, I hear that CP will be doing that.

ggs man, any tips you can give me in terms of what to work on?
Based on what I saw?

*You need to follow up those j.Ds consistently with c.MP at least. Bang can pick up downed opponents very easily with that or his c.LP.
*Use the jab button when close and neutral MP when somewhat close. Bang's jabs are really good at catching opponents by surprise up close and he can get stuff going very easily off the random medium punch poke.
*Learn jab pressure more thoroughly. Having great pressure is important, but Bang can benefit especially well because of his tick command grabs. You must have eaten over 9000 of them. Learning how to get those off without turning them into purple throws is important. Speaking of purple throws...
*Don't use purple throws too much on people who you think are better than me. They will adapt and start breaking them like nothing. Also, if you must use them then you would benefit from not being predictable about it. Good players are always aware of the lifebars and they know that some people might want to finish things off quick with purple throws near the end of a combo. They are watching for that. Go for more wakeup pressure off Bang's jumping heavy kick.
*Don't be afraid to use Bang's standing overhead game against players that don't have good DP/counter based characters. Bang's overheads are surprisingly useful even though they are slow as fuck(imo).
*Use Bang's explosive nail more often. It is a nice spacing tool and sometimes you have to conserve those nails.
*Complete your combos. Grind them out in training mode. Become really adept at finishing Bang's combos off all his standard grabs.
*Learn when to use Ashura and Steel Rain. They are both good supers. Steel Rail is good when being pressured in the corner because even if blocked it keeps your opponent pinned for a short while in worst case scenarios. Best case scenario is a lengthy block string where you get to do whatever you want to them. Ashura is just safe as hell and extremely fast... even though it's damage is not so hot. Daifunka is good for corner carry, but Bang already does that well enough. Still decent damage though.
*BARRIER BLOCK MORE! It'll reduce the incidence of those annoying tick grabs and it'll give Bang some breathing room. He has nothing to get his opponents off of him unless he has fifty meter(Dead Angle, Ashura or Steel Rain) so knowing Instant blocks and barrier blocks(easiest to learn) is of great importance.

FRKZ and his bumper play come later when you are fully comfortable with Bang's 3-3.5k combos, grab combos and his normal pressure game. FRKZ beefs his damage output something fierce, but he becomes really hard to control and his defense isn't so hot unless you barrier block well.
It's crazy you can risk going for bangs command throw in the middle of a combo for crazy damage.
Yeah, it is really good. Keep in mind that purple throws are easy as hell to tech. I'm just not the biggest tech guy in BB for some reason. Also, tick and wakeup command throws are far better. Don't toss them out too much against characters with DP or you will get beat.

Fugu

You can use 6D against medium attacks and high attacks and 2D against low attacks. However, you need a pretty large gap in the pressure to use either of these, and any time you use 2D you had better make sure that you're right because you're going to get hit if you're wrong.

Don't use purple throws, period. This isn't even remotely viable. You have like, a half of a second to tech a purple throw and it only works online because latency reduces the tech time. You're literally throwing away your oki by using it at the end of a combo and you're giving your opponent a return to neutral position for free if you use it anywhere else..

ASW needs to fix their faces on this delayed schedule with the US already. It burns me up that we have to stay on Extend while Japan is grinding their teeth on Phantasma...
You still wanna play? If so, get on.
Sorry about the wait. I was playing Jet Set Radio on the PC. On and waiting for now.

ASW needs to fix their faces on this delayed schedule with the US already. It burns me up that we have to stay on Extend while Japan is grinding their teeth on Phantasma...

Sorry about the wait. I was playing Jet Set Radio on the PC. On and waiting for now.

Dat JSR.

Gotta roll out, so we'll have to play later. I haven't played in forever, so this is probably for the best for me lol

danmaku

It's not like it's gonna be out on consoles in December.
I imagine we'll get it around the same time Japan does.

Yep, I don't know if the game is even out in the arcades (last time I checked it was being loketested). And the more playtest the arcade version gets, the better the console version will turn out.

Fugu

It's not like it's gonna be out on consoles in December.
I imagine we'll get it around the same time Japan does.
We've never gotten a BB game at the same time as Japan. Nobody wants to play an outdated revision when they know the new game is right around the corner and will flip the old rules upside-down. It's funny because the ability to import CS1 (as well as, to a lesser extent, the PC hack) actually probably saved the competitive scene in North America as it meant not waiting another six months to play the current revision of the game.

We may get the console release around the same time as Japan, but the few months that they get in the arcade is generally enough to kill the game dead while we're waiting.

We've never gotten a BB game at the same time as Japan. Nobody wants to play an outdated revision when they know the new game is right around the corner and will flip the old rules upside-down. It's funny because the ability to import CS1 (as well as, to a lesser extent, the PC hack) actually probably saved the competitive scene in North America as it meant not waiting another six months to play the current revision of the game.

We may get the console release around the same time as Japan, but the few months that they get in the arcade is generally enough to kill the game dead while we're waiting.

That's not what it kills it. What kills it is:

-"YAY!!! WE FINALLY GOT THE GAME!!!"
*2 weeks later*
-"NEW BB ANNOUNCED"

All hype dead

Busaiku

I don't understand this though.
It's not as if many Japanese come here to play, so what's the big deal?

I dunno, I guess a netplay monster wouldn't understand.

I don't understand this though.
It's not as if many Japanese come here to play, so what's the big deal?

I dunno, I guess a netplay monster wouldn't understand.

Well, like I said, it's not that what kills it. If you have a good 1-2 yrs before the next iteration, it'd be great. Remember how people whined that UMVC3 came out too fast and that was after 1 year? BB gets a total enjoyment of 2 months for Americans. Why play the old one when the new one is right around the corner?

The problem is that JPN gets a huge head start and they get an enjoyment of one year in the arcades. We get snubbed.

Top Bottom