• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
:lol :lol :lol

After that loss to Rachel, I am officially humbled. PSN BB > 360 BB. Sorry Papercuts and Solar, I've let you down. :lol

DY_nasty

Well...

Much more aggressive play on 360 (maybe because the lack of 2a punish fury from Qis)
The Valk matchup - its not 'new' anymore. I didn't even know Wolf form was that practical up until today.
Counter Assaults aren't a Lambda-only thing.
No Tagers (hurray?)
I've gotten used to the pad a bit more, but trust me the 360 lets you get away with lot more bullshit. You can't just 'lean' into inputs on this pad. (My x button likes to stick, but its not the reason I'm gettin my ass beat.)
Footsies? What now?

Edit: I miss mah Mu :(

Edit2: Q has all of you mindfucked.

Edit3: Fuck this controller. Was trying to pull out DD for the last 5 matches :lol

Well Makoto is off the table. Too much wacky execution for my liking.

Back to the simple life of Science for me.

Also pissed the hell off. One of my Seimitsu buttons, not even five months old and the god damned thing is sticking. >:|

Can I monkey with it in any way so that it won't stick or do I just need to order a replacement?

DY_nasty

QisTopTier said:
You get used to it after a while. *the moves not the mind fucks* :lol
I'm starting to catch up a little bit, but I can't break the subconscious habit of banking on my DD. Can't zone for shit right now... I'm more afraid of whiffing than anything else.

When I do connect, I can't follow it for shit and revert to rage mashing :lol

USD

Mentioned this in the SSFIV thread but not here. There's going to be a NSB BBSCII 3v3 tourney tomorrow starting at around 6 AM EST. There's an AE tourney after that, starting at 9 AM EST.

Hey Gaf, I literally just picked up BlazBlue Continuum Shift and I have to say I'm really enjoying the game. From a combo perspective the game is much easier to handle than say SSF4 with its strict link timing, I absolutely adore the art style, and really I feel this game "fits" for me. I'm no stranger to air dash fighters (My first fighting game being Tatsunoko vs. Capcom) and going through the tutorial mode has really helped me to familiarize myself with the various mechanics.

That said, going in to this do you guys have any tips/tricks for a noob to the game? I'm partial to Tager at the moment and his combos being generally simple to execute is really helpful. Would you say that Tager is a good beginner character or should I be leaning towards someone like Ragna to familiarize myself with the more mobile (... air dashing) aspects of the game?

Fugu said:
Damn, I'm really sad I missed this. Someone's gotta beat Q. :p

Yeah, I tried inviting you. We had some good matches. Maybe next time :D

DiscoShark said:
That said, going in to this do you guys have any tips/tricks for a noob to the game? I'm partial to Tager at the moment and his combos being generally simple to execute is really helpful. Would you say that Tager is a good beginner character or should I be leaning towards someone like Ragna to familiarize myself with the more mobile (... air dashing) aspects of the game?

Stick with the character you find appealing or like. Don't go by "this character is easier to use than this one so I'll learn him/her first." This game's unique in the sense that if you pick up a character, it doesn't necessarily mean that you'll do well with another because they're so different from each other. Are you on PSN or 360?

I'm on PSN only.

Thanks for the response by the way. The comment about using Ragna over Tager wasn't really a "I think i'd have an easier time with Ragna" kinda thing. I'm the sort of guy that really likes experimenting with a lot of characters and starting out in a new game I've always felt that it's best to go with the "Ryu" type (The balanced character that gives you a sample of all of the different sides of the game) to start off with regardless of whether or not I like another character more.

I guess my perspective might be a little off with a game like this because, as you mentioned, the characters are so radically different from each other. I guess my impression was "Learning Ragna will help me pick up other characters in the game faster than I normally would have without having that fundamental base. Am I mistaken?

Fugu

Prototype-03 said:
Yeah, I tried inviting you. We had some good matches. Maybe next time :D
I wasn't actually there when you invited me; I have a nasty habit of leaving my playstation on.

DiscoShark said:
I guess my impression was "Learning Ragna will help me pick up other characters in the game faster than I normally would have without having that fundamental base. Am I mistaken?

Yes.

The most "Ryu" like character is Jin, but that's very loose. Jin has a fireball, a shoryuken, and even a tatsumaki of sorts, but otherwise...

Yeah, just pick a character. Some have higher learning curves than other, but no two really play the same. Valkenhayn, Taokaka, Tsubaki, Noel, and Makoto's rushdown styles vary vastly. Tager and Hakumen are heavy hitters, but they couldn't possibly be more different. Mu, Lambda, and Rachel are both zoning-style characters of sorts, but again, very different. Hazama and Arakune are keep-away characters until they satisfy certain conditions (landing a D-chain/filling Curse meter) and then they go all in, keeping pressure on until they have to satisfy their condition again. Ragna is all about them mix-ups, as is Bang. Both are relatively close range characters that get very strong in the corner. Litchi and Carl are separate beasts, as Litchi depends on extended combos and clever use of her staff. Carl looks for resets and requires you to be able to handle two characters at once.

I'm sure the pros here will correct me somewhere.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
FlightOfHeaven said:
Yes.

The most "Ryu" like character is Jin, but that's very loose. Jin has a fireball, a shoryuken, and even a tatsumaki of sorts, but otherwise...

Yeah, just pick a character. Some have higher learning curves than other, but no two really play the same. Valkenhayn, Taokaka, Tsubaki, Noel, and Makoto's rushdown styles vary vastly. Tager and Hakumen are heavy hitters, but they couldn't possibly be more different. Mu, Lambda, and Rachel are both zoning-style characters of sorts, but again, very different. Hazama and Arakune are keep-away characters until they satisfy certain conditions (landing a D-chain/filling Curse meter) and then they go all in, keeping pressure on until they have to satisfy their condition again. Ragna is all about them mix-ups, as is Bang. Both are relatively close range characters that get very strong in the corner. Litchi and Carl are separate beasts, as Litchi depends on extended combos and clever use of her staff. Carl looks for resets and requires you to be able to handle two characters at once.

I'm sure the pros here will correct me somewhere.

Pretty spot on, although I would toss Tao and Mu in as a reset type (Carl, Litchi, Tager, Mu, Tao) also Tao is the BEST at mixing up in the game so she goes there too, as well as Mak. :lol And Hakumen as a zoner. Jin who was left out is a bastard child of zoning, rushdown, and resets.

Oh and use who you have fun using from the get go. *even if it feels a bit weird at first* Every character can win *besides rachel and tsubaki to an extent* So just learn who you enjoy :D Thankfully BBCS2.0 looks like the entire cast will be good so no one is left out.

DY_nasty said:
Why does everything take so long on the ps3? -_-
The loading is absolutely painful. It's one of the reasons I've only played four games on the PS3(although I started playing Demon's souls and holy crap it kicks ass).

I think it's worth it though since PSN is improving constantly and the exclusives are glorious.
DY_nasty said:

After that loss to Rachel, I am officially humbled. PSN BB > 360 BB. Sorry Papercuts and Solar, I've let you down. :lol
I'll eventually pick up a PS3 disc(probably before February) and I'll be in tip top shape.

The battle must go on!

Fugu

I wouldn't describe Litchi as a reset-oriented character. Like Carl, she's a bit difficult to categorize, because even though her primary asset functions primarily as a zoning tool, it has the consequence of making her an effective rushdown character (that she also has some crazy crap on knockdown is a consequence of bad balance, not character). Carl's difficult to categorize too because he's essentially a rushdown character with a tether. So I would agree with FlightOfHheaven's assessment of them as being in a category by themselves.

I would also call Bang a rushdown character and Mu knockdown-oriented; she's not really a zoner. Taokaka needs some special notice for being almost entirely reliant on her ridiculous mobility, making her somewhere between rushdown and mixup.

DY_nasty

SolarPowered said:
The loading is absolutely painful. It's one of the reasons I've only played four games on the PS3(although I started playing Demon's souls and holy crap it kicks ass).

I think it's worth it though since PSN is improving constantly and the exclusives are glorious.

I'll eventually pick up a PS3 disc(probably before February) and I'll be in tip top shape.

The battle must go on!
I'm gonna go ahead and let you know ahead of time that the Valk matchup is gonna fuck with you.

The pad switch is going to take a lot of getting used to too. As much as I complained about the 360 pad at first, it really works both ways... Instead of just leaning into inputs, you actually have to be crisp. I'm whiffing opening TKs non-stop and dropping even more combos than usual :lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
DY_nasty said:
I'm gonna go ahead and let you know ahead of time that the Valk matchup is gonna fuck with you.

The pad switch is going to take a lot of getting used to too. As much as I complained about the 360 pad at first, it really works both ways... Instead of just leaning into inputs, you actually have to be crisp. I'm whiffing opening TKs non-stop and dropping even more combos than usual :lol

I cheat, I have a callus on my thumb from years and years of playing GG on pad, it fits perfectly in the center of a pspad, that little empty space... so It reads my thumb like a joystick :lol

QisTopTier said:
I cheat, I have a callus on my thumb from years and years of playing GG on pad, it fits perfectly in the center of a pspad, that little empty space... so It reads my thumb like a joystick :lol

you'll be so screwed once sony decides to change the pad. Return of the boomerang?

edit: LOL, was looking for boomerang
controller.jpg

but also found THIS:
317773956_c6c052cad3.jpg

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Prototype-03 said:
you'll be so screwed once sony decides to change the pad. Return of the boomerang?

edit: LOL, was looking for boomerang

but also found THIS:

Those are both the same style of dpad you noob! :lol

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
QisTopTier said:

Wait wait, you use pad?!?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
kiunchbb said:
Wait wait, you use pad?!?

I have never used a stick, hell when tekken 5 came out in arcades I plugged a damn pspad into it. So many angry people when I got my 32 win streak :lol *you cheat blah blah*

QisTopTier said:
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift |OT| of Everyone Moving to PS3
:lol
This could be a legitimate title for the next BlazBlue game.

DY_nasty said:

I've played a few matches against valk and he is no more threatening than the others unless he is being guided by godlike hands(except for Trollzama). The thing that worries me the most is the pad. Those sticks are probably going to be the death of me. Sony could make huge strides in the design of the damned thing if they just flattened the tops on them. I can almost feel the red rashes on my thumbs already.

No game except smash bros should require that kind of sacrifice.

:(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Prototype-03 said:

edit: LOL, was looking for boomerang http://ps3center.net/images/uploads/news/controller.jpg[IMG]

but also found THIS:
[IMG]http://ps3center.net/images/uploads/news/317773956_c6c052cad3.jpg[MG][/QUOTE]

Haha, that second one would be awesome. I would just grab one of the sticks with my left hand, swing it around and smack the buttons with my right hand. A new type of 720 spam, injuring everyone in a 20 foot radius around me.

Lothars

So I picked up Blazblue continuum shift and I am not very good at it, does anyone have a suggestions of characters I should use to get use to the game?

Lothars said:
So I picked up Blazblue continuum shift and I am not very good at it, does anyone have a suggestions of characters I should use to get use to the game?
do the tutorials and you won't have a choice. then try them all and pick your favorite.

Lothars said:
Try everyone. No one here knows what design and mechanics appeal to you.

Which system?

Fugu

Lothars said:
Just do what I did and pick the character with the largest breasts.

My, my, I'm terrible at the game, as various people here can attest, so I am very surprised that my categorizations were largely correct.

I did have trouble sorting them, though, because they fit different roles. Like Q said, there is a lot of cross pollination. Carl is reset/mix up dependent, but Tao, Bang, Ragna, and Litchi definitely go there. Carl is also rushdown at times, and Rachel, Hakumen, Jin, Tsubaki, Makoto, Noel, and Ragna also fill that role.

And on and on.

Each character is a clever mix of traits, you just have to find who's right for you. That comes from play style to character design. I wouldn't play Arakune even if I was decent with him, simply because I dislike his design.

Edit:

I thought Litchi had the biggest breasts, followed by Makoto, Taokaka, Tsubaki, Lambda, Mu, Noel, Rachel, and Platinum in that order.

This is not something I should really know, but I did beat story mode 100%...

KOFXIII sprites animate so well, but it's a pity they're just GG resolution.
When the sprites were getting redraws for the HD generation I was hoping for something a bit closer in resolution to Blazblue characters.

QisTopTier said:
I have never used a stick, hell when tekken 5 came out in arcades I plugged a damn pspad into it. So many angry people when I got my 32 win streak :lol *you cheat blah blah*

Don't be so smug. You'd use an arcade stick in an instant if you could.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Prototype-03 said:
Don't be so smug. You'd use an arcade stick in an instant if you could.

haha pretty much, I never had access to one at home when I was playing guilty gear, by the time I could get one my hand was already destroyed. I recommend stick over pad any day :lol don't get mad cause you lose to a cripple

_dementia said:
When the sprites were getting redraws for the HD generation I was hoping for something a bit closer in resolution to Blazblue characters.
This is actually a topic I'm a little naive on. The way I see it SNK has put themselves in a bad position by remaking all of their sprites in a lower resolution. The animation is great, but it doesn't change the fact that the resolution cannot be upgraded without starting from scratch.

The BB Roster has already been done in 720P so the resolution troubles are not present. The one perceived weakness in aesthetics is the lack of animation. Would I be wrong in assuming that all it would take is extra filler drawings to fill the gaps in the animation of the current cast?

If this is the case then it would be awesome to see a BlazBlue title with improved animations down the road. I'd imagine that the cost is much lower thanks to an already present roster of fighters. Sorry if this was a dumb question/assumption on my part.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
SolarPowered said:
This is actually a topic I'm a little naive on. The way I see it SNK has put themselves in a bad position by remaking all of their sprites in a lower resolution. The animation is great, but it doesn't change the fact that the resolution cannot be upgraded without starting from scratch.

The BB Roster has already been done in 720P so the resolution troubles are not present. The one perceived weakness in aesthetics is the lack of animation. Would I be wrong in assuming that all it would take is extra filler drawings to fill the gaps in the animation of the current cast?

If this is the case then it would be awesome to see a BlazBlue title with improved animations down the road. I'd imagine that the cost is much lower thanks to an already present roster of fighters. Sorry if this was a dumb question/assumption on my part.

This is what was done with GG down the line, GGXXAC has better animation than GGXX

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
_dementia said:

Screw better resolution, I just wanted a good netcode.

Top Bottom