• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
akachan ningen said:
okay I wrote that sentence awkwardly but I think you know what I meant. use your imagination. :p

I heard from my trusty interweb sources that it still kinda sucked.... *goes off to play bb*

QisTopTier said:
I heard from my trusty interweb sources that it still kinda sucked.... *goes off to play bb*
I don't know the last time I played it I had some matches with lyte edge that were lag-free, even smoother than bb.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm calling it now! Worst two characters in the game are going to be tager and tsubaki :lol (no where near as bad as cs1 though)

xero273

QisTopTier said:
I'm calling it now! Worst two characters in the game are going to be tager and tsubaki :lol (no where near as bad as cs1 though)

and now proto drops tsubaki again and goes back to valk and rachel

QisTopTier said:
Air back dash your way to victory!!!!! :lol
I kinda feel bad for lambda. I've only lost against three lambda players since I first started playing BlazBlue. She may have one of the worst match ups in the game when she comes up against Bang. I feel guilty playing them...

:/
QisTopTier said:
This is what was done with GG down the line, GGXXAC has better animation than GGXX
I didn't play fighting games as much as I do now so I never noticed that specific improvement. I hope BlazBlue undergoes the same treatment sooner or later as well. I feel kind of bad for KoF though...

I may have to suck it down and use Rachel as my second. Her move set makes sense to me and she has fun and accessible traps.

Makoto is just beyond me.

Speaking of animation and Makoto, hopefully they clean her up in CS2. Dig her skanky design, but she is definitely on the low end of the animation spectrum. :\

Fugu

The Take Out Bandit said:
Makoto is just beyond me.
I've got to say, I think the smartest decision I made when I bought BlazBlue was making a character that felt horribly uncomfortable to me my main.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Speaking of animation and Makoto, hopefully they clean her up in CS2. Dig her skanky design, but she is definitely on the low end of the animation spectrum. :\

It's not so much that her animation is bad, moreso she has so much hit stop on most of her attacks it just looks... clunky... she looks way way better in cs2 after they got rid of all of it.

Fugu said:
I've got to say, I think the smartest decision I made when I bought BlazBlue was making a character that felt horribly uncomfortable to me my main.

Right.

That's great if you've got a ton of free time.

I don't, so the fewer barriers to entry; the better.

I was chatting about this with a friend last night playing BB and sf4. I enjoy online play because it allows me to play against other people, but it's really not the same as a thriving arcade scene. It's just not. The personalities aren't the same, folks online are more mean spirited and just plain jerks, and playing at home is no longer practice for the arcade show.

Then again, I'm one of the old men in the fighting game neighborhood. I'm sure the new neighbors are perfectly content with playing online exclusively.

Reflecting on the ease of use / point of entry for BB characters, while I appreciate how unique each character is; the skill level required to enjoy the game is still too high for folks that say - are exclusively familiar with Capcom fighters like my buddy who won't stop complaining about BB and the "Win" button. If someone whose familiar with fighting games is put off by a fighter, what does that mean for new players?

I fear that no matter what developers do to appeal to completely new players, the hard core aspects of game design are too deeply rooted in their DNA for them to leave it all behind and start with a clean slate.

The good news is he's getting his feet under him, so the "Win" button will be a moot point when I no longer need to pull the Oro on him (play with one arm tied behind my back).

Unfortunately I'm going to go down swinging WRT to SF4. I maintain that SF3 is the last great Street Fighter and hopefully SF5 is a real sequel and not Street Fighter Zero Gaiden. Hate. Hate. HATE playing that game. :|

Edit: If anybody has a link to the CS2 art in Makoto titty size resolution, that would be awesome. Need bigger art. :D

Fugu

It's unfortunate but without a certain amount of free time (I wouldn't say a "ton" is necessary, but regular practice is a must) it's impossible to learn any decent fighting game, regardless of the circumstances.

As a general rule, I assume that people are playing online because they have to, and not because they want to; for those who are allotted the opportunity, online play is not a substitute for arcade experience.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Reflecting on the ease of use / point of entry for BB characters, while I appreciate how unique each character is; the skill level required to enjoy the game is still too high for folks that say - are exclusively familiar with Capcom fighters like my buddy who won't stop complaining about BB and the "Win" button. If someone whose familiar with fighting games is put off by a fighter, what does that mean for new players?

Your friend is retarded and your statement contradicts itself, having a WIN button makes a game EASY not Hard. The D button is hardly a win button anyways hell for half the cast it's just a different form of normal attack unique to them. Then you have carl and litchi that control a separate object with it. Valks is the same shit as gens stance changing. I would say give him an example using sf4 using the same idea but..... none of them are really unique enough from each other besides maybe dhalsim to have that type of input style :lol

In all honesty if you have time to get good or decent at sf you can be good/decent at bb in the same time frame. Pick 2 or 3 bnb combos to learn, learn footsies and zoning that your character requires, learn baiting. Same ideas the game just has a bigger zone of control to look out for and a stronger offensive base. It's still possible to turtle with some characters but you gotta do it in the style the game is designed for not the standard sf way.

QisTopTier said:
Your friend is retarded and your statement contradicts itself, having a WIN button makes a game EASY not Hard. The D button is hardly a win button anyways hell for half the cast it's just a different form of normal attack unique to them. Then you have carl and litchi that control a separate object with it. Valks is the same shit as gens stance changing. I would say give him an example using sf4 using the same idea but..... none of them are really unique enough from each other besides maybe dhalsim to have that type of input style :lol

It's hard to convince him otherwise when I'm not using my main, and my anemic skill set with the rest of the cast is leading me to running face first into Ragna's drive attacks. :lol

My statement was mainly his commentary on Drive attacks. I don't view the Drive button as a win button. In my head wiring it's the Fierce attack of BB. It just has a lot more flourish to it, and the designers have stated it was added to the game (in addition to that beginner mode) to give complete noobies a sense of accomplishment and flash in interviews.

I really am shit with everybody that's not Tager. Hopefully Rachel will change that, granted I'll be haunted by the specter of moé anime.
nonono.gif

Fugu said:

I'm really curious about this comment, what possible benefit is there in maining a character that feels completely awkward to you (I'm assuming it's Litchi from your previous posts)? I've always thought that was the opposite of what you should be looking to do in any given fighting game. Please, I'd love an explanation.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
DiscoShark said:
I'm really curious about this comment, what possible benefit is there in maining a character that feels completely awkward to you (I'm assuming it's Litchi from your previous posts)? I've always thought that was the opposite of what you should be looking to do in any given fighting game. Please, I'd love an explanation.

If you want some real brain twisters you should read some of his other post :D

DiscoShark said:
Walk a thousands miles with lead shoes and the next thousand without them would be easy as pie.

QisTopTier said:
Shhh! Don't give away what it means gawd! :lol
The interesting thing about my choice of Bang is that he is my polar opposite. I'm an absolute introvert who may very well fly under your radar, but I absolutely love playing as Bang and hearing his wacky stories. I wonder how and why everyone else chose their main. I sure as hell picked Bang because he came easily. I'll tell you that much!

:lol

SolarPowered said:
Walk a thousands miles with lead shoes and the next thousand without them would be easy as pie.

“If we are incapable of finding peace in ourselves, it is pointless to search elsewhere.”

It was certainly more applicable in the era when there was an abundance of fighting games, and I just picked the character I cottoned to the most. Now there are fewer fighters, but my criteria hasn't changed much.

Were it not for the chichi aesthetic of a lot of the cast, I might be able to find more characters I could tolerate. :p

I just blew some Allards on extra character colors. How could I resist TaGaiGar? :lol

SolarPowered said:
The interesting thing about my choice of Bang is that he is my polar opposite. I'm an absolute introvert who may very well fly under your radar, but I absolutely love playing as Bang and hearing his wacky stories. I wonder how and why everyone else chose their main. I sure as hell picked Bang because he came easily. I'll tell you that much!

Been over it a lot.

Tager was the least visually offensive of the lot, and his play style (hits hard, not very combo crazy) clicked with me. :D

Nothing more than that. Character "personalities" don't register with me, though it doesn't help I refuse to play the story mode in fighting games either. :lol

Noel is a petite, fast, rushdown type character.

That's pretty much it. It seems to follow the trend in other games that I play, too: Sakura, Talim, Ibuki, Eileen, Ling Xiaoyu

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
FlightOfHeaven said:
Noel is a petite, fast, rushdown type character.

That's pretty much it. It seems to follow the trend in other games that I play, too: Sakura, Talim, Ibuki, Eileen, Ling Xiaoyu

I really wouldn't call Ibuki petite with her figure :lol

ibuki-ssf4-alt.jpg

I don't remember her being that busty in 3S...

: (

I mean, there's nothing wrong with a busty gal, but I didn't think she'd be a D-cup. I constantly forget how the gaming industry inflates women.

Fugu

DiscoShark said:
It's very easy to become prohibitively rigid in the way that you play and picking a character that you're comfortable with just reinforces this. Picking a character that you're not comfortable with doesn't magically prevent this from happening but it ameliorates it to some degree, as to get anything done you're going to need to figure out some new strategies.

SolarPowered said:

I selected my main based on the fact that CT Litchi's combos were ridiculously long and flashy. If that seems like a stupid reason to pick a character, then that's because it is.

FlightOfHeaven said:

I mean, there's nothing wrong with a busty gal, but I didn't think she'd be a D-cup. I constantly forget how the gaming industry inflates women.
2ZFXe.png

>.>

Fugu said:
I selected my main based on the fact that CT Litchi's combos were ridiculously long and flashy. If that seems like a stupid reason to pick a character, then that's because it is.
Doesn't seem like a stupid reason at all. We're playing video games not fighting an all out war. I'd rather enjoy myself while I play.:lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
FlightOfHeaven said:

Wth how could you not tell her sprite alone was kinda obvious, plus she had wide hips. Umm if you ever saw one of the old lose screens that was a dead give away too :lol

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/np2/char1/ibuki-down.jpg

FlightOfHeaven said:

Ibuki was chesty in a way:

11jt4eg.jpg

SF4 just made all the gals look like bad trannies, and also gave Man-Li grotesque horse nipples. If you're going to use SF4 as a yard stick for any measurement, make sure you use it for how fugly it made a once great franchise look.

Poor Rose looks like Jay Leno in drag now. :|

I just remember seeing the sprites. That's what I'm basing it off of. Hell, for the longest time I swore Makoto was a boy.

When I found out Makoto is a girl, I liked the design even more. In a hypersexualized industry, the designers went against the trend. I appreciate that.

FlightOfHeaven said:
I just remember seeing the sprites. That's what I'm basing it off of. Hell, for the longest time I swore Makoto was a boy.

When I found out Makoto is a girl, I liked the design even more. In a hypersexualized industry, the designers went against the trend. I appreciate that.

Meh, the whole hyper sexualization works both ways. Watch the documentary Bigger, Faster, Stronger for a cold reminder of how young boys have their body image distorted and how the media sets unrealistic standards for men as well.

Two things:

- So far as I know Makoto is a girls name. :p

- I'm pretty god damn offended by the amount of stupid in the video game industry thanks to what Sega did to Vanessa Lewis:

Virtua Fighter 4 Vanessa

2nk6zix.jpg

Virtua Fighter 5 Vanessa

ehd634.jpg

Skin lightened and muscles removed. WTF SEGA? Vanessa was a great character design and you've down graded her to grappling ganguro status. :|

Here's a nice blog post on what Sega perpetrated against fans of the character. (warning: The rest of the blog is full of crazy)

- You can be a muscular woman and still be attractive.
- You can be a muscular woman with melanin and still be attractive.

Do you guys have any tips on how to get in on Valkenhayne?

The guy is seriously pissing me the fuck off. I have no experience with this guy at a high level game and he has nearly perfect priority in the air not to mention amazing guard against incoming air pressure. The only thing that seems to work is baiting him and 5A. I feel like I'm using Tager instead of Bang without dat SCIENCE and it's getting to me.

fuck
FlightOfHeaven said:

I've always liked Ibuki's design and Makoto's design the most in the SF universe. They're done very well in SSFIV with the exception of one thing(a general flaw in their character design). I find myself looking at most of the characters bare feet and hands more than boobs, faces or muscles. The hands in SF are seriously fucking huge. I keep looking at Ibuki's feet way more than her boobs. Don't even get me started on those bricks that Makoto calls hands.

X_X

SolarPowered said:
Do you guys have any tips on how to get in on Valkenhayne?

The guy is seriously pissing me the fuck off. I have no experience with this guy at a high level game and he has nearly perfect priority in the air not to mention amazing guard against incoming air pressure. The only thing that seems to work is baiting him and 5A. I feel like I'm using Tager instead of Bang without dat SCIENCE and it's getting to me.

fuck

I'm askeered!

I've always liked Ibuki's design and Makoto's design the most in the SF universe. They're done very well in SSFIV with the exception of one thing(a general flaw in their character design). I find myself looking at most of the characters bare feet and hands more than boobs, faces or muscles. The hands in SF are seriously fucking huge. I keep looking at Ibuki's feet way more than her boobs. Don't even get me started on those bricks that Makoto calls hands.

X_X

Given the sprites had massive extremities, it makes sense in that regard; but it is kind of stupid - much like last generation every early attempt at a Tomb Raider game tried to incorporate OG Lara blocky aspects into the model and sh*t just looked janky.

Honestly though that game really is fugly. I guess I could take it as a beta test for a real 3D Street Fighter with a cool visual style; but not this one. Do your visual evolving where I'm not subjected to it. :p

Coeliacus

SolarPowered said:

X_X

To be fair, at least Makoto has massive feet/hands in Third Strike as well. I liked the fact that they retained that, it makes standing strong and standing roundhouse look as meaty (pardon the pun) as they are. :D

Ibuki isn't so bad appearance wise, I just don't think she moves right. That is really frequent in SF4 though, not much can be done about that.

Back onto BB, I do dislike the way it has depicts it's female characters as much as I get that it's all apart of the anime themes they are all drawn from. Guilty Gear I thought was really clever and even mature about sex, with each character having a distinct and underlying sexual theme. Mori is not Daisuke by any stretch of the imagination. :lol

SolarPowered said:

X_X

include Ryu (Feet), Ken(Feet), Chun li(Hands) and Juri (Feet) and yea this gets to me as well

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Zanken said:
To be fair, at least Makoto has massive feet/hands in Third Strike as well. I liked the fact that they retained that, it makes standing strong and standing roundhouse look as meaty (pardon the pun) as they are. :D

Ibuki isn't so bad appearance wise, I just don't think she moves right. That is really frequent in SF4 though, not much can be done about that.

Back onto BB, I do dislike the way it has depicts it's female characters as much as I get that it's all apart of the anime themes they are all drawn from. Guilty Gear I thought was really clever and even mature about sex, with each character having a distinct and underlying sexual theme. Mori is not Daisuke by any stretch of the imagination. :lol

Dizzy the bondage slave and I-no the whore? Millia who doesn't wear pants and A.B.A a necro's wet dream? :lol

QisTopTier said:
Dizzy the bondage slave and I-no the whore? Millia who doesn't wear pants and A.B.A a necro's wet dream? :lol

Yup, I definitely do prefer big boobs, beastiality, furries, insecure, blind and pedo girls.

Meh, the whole hyper sexualization works both ways. Watch the documentary Bigger, Faster, Stronger for a cold reminder of how young boys have their body image distorted and how the media sets unrealistic standards for men as well.

Two things:

- So far as I know Makoto is a girls name. :p

- I'm pretty god damn offended by the amount of stupid in the video game industry thanks to what Sega did to Vanessa Lewis:

Virtua Fighter 4 Vanessa

http://i56.tinypic.com/2nk6zix.jpg[/MG]

Virtua Fighter 5 Vanessa

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/ehd634.jpg[/MG]

Skin lightened and muscles removed. WTF SEGA? Vanessa was [b]a great character design[/b] and you've down graded her to grappling ganguro status. :|

[url=http://beautifulpuzzle.blogspot.com/2007/07/vanessa-lewis.html]Here's a nice blog post on what Sega perpetrated against fans of the character.[/url] (warning: The rest of the blog is full of crazy)

- You can be a muscular woman and still be attractive.
- You can be a muscular woman with melanin and still be attractive.[/QUOTE]

lol she looked like a man in VF4. It's okay if you swing that way, btw. Just sayin.

Coeliacus

QisTopTier said:
The arts student in me wants to go into detail, but I don't have time to make a tldr post that you guys would have to suffer through reading. :lol

Basically yes, even with all of those extreme things, they don't feel like fan service to me. Yes, they are highly sexualised but in a way that is relevant to their characters or basic background (even Dizzy).

Top Bottom