• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

ShaneB

danmaku said:
If you are still learning the basics, they won't change. Just take a look at a changelog for your character, there are some bnb that will change and you shouldn't waste time learning.

Sounds good. In the next few weeks until the patch I'm sure I'll still be learning the basics.

The tutorial was awesome, but seems like I've forgotten it all already.

And awesome to see a BB stream, hope it gets archived, because I'm not sure I'll be able to catch it live.

Master Milk said:
You need two controllers, press start on the second one before you lose. Do a quick one round, 30 second match and then you're back.

Though, if you can get to Hakumen in 15 minutes I have no idea how you lose to him. I'd imagine most people would end up buying the unlimited characters so they wouldn't have to bother with score attack. But yea, score attack is ass.
I'll do this from now on. It'll make finishing this a lot easier and quicker.

Thanks

Edit: I managed to get past Hakumen after a dozen tries or so and I thought it was smooth sailing until unlimited Hazama stepped into the ring and dazed me so badly that I forgot to press start on the second controller. I'm pretty sure that the only characters left after him are Rachel and Ragna, but it's not worth it. I'll give it a shot some other day because this is just insane. No one except pure pros and wizards could beat this without losing at least once...

Fugu

SolarPowered said:
I decided to get an achievement through score attack mode(beat unlimited Rachel) and this shit is ridiculous. The CPU is way out of control for the unlimited characters. I'm pretty sure score attack is the only way you can unlock the unlimited characters without spending cash and the difficulty is seriously too high even with a favorite character(hell, I never beat score attack at my peak). I'd imagine that most people who even bought the game never used unlimited characters since the curve on score attack is so steep.

Getting past unlimited Hakumen is already a nightmare of it's own and a single fuckup will have you spending another fifteen minutes beating more than half the cast before you can fight him again(and probably lose). They should ease up on score attack or just let people use unlimited characters from the beginning.

Probably my only complaint in this game...
Unlimited Hakumen is cake compared to the places it goes afterwards.

Hakumen should be like fighting a regular Hakumen with a lot more health except for his now substantially more dangerous counter. The computer is very easy to block and punish (it sometimes swings at nothing at all) and use this to your advantage. Capitalizing on your hits is key if you don't want the fight to last nine years.

Hazama is so random in so many aspects that it's hard to develop much of a strategy to fighting him other than to note two things: 1. The computer will use the 45 degree chain (which is fully unblockable) on you every time it can, meaning you cannot jump in that area unless you have a plan. 2. The AI almost never uses his normals and generally sticks to using his stance moves in seemingly random order. Pokes are your best friend. With Litchi, I found that if I got him in the corner, I could SJ j.D 41236D repeatedly to kill him because he would always neutral tech to punish without enough time to beat the shinshin. If you lose control of the fight, you will notice because the AI is good at quickly generating a lead, but if you don't this actually isn't that bad.

Ragna... I don't have a strategy for this because I've never lost against CS' "Unlimited" Ragna. Play like you would against Blood Kain Ragna if it were controlled by someone on beginner mode and don't let yourself get hit by his huge range.

Rachel is a ridiculous cheating abomination that was inserted in the game to convince people to give up and buy their unlimited characters. It is baffling that they turned a character so tame into such a ridiculous display of overpoweredness. There is meter all the time. There are projectiles (three of them!) all the time. I was able to dodge tiny lobellia by running at her and jumping (or the reverse depending on where I was standing) with enough time to crouch and block because she'll invariably have recovered by then. Even if you play well, you will probably lose. All you can do is try to get yourself to her without getting pelted by cows or a giant frog or something and hope you can poke through a mistake, because you're not going to beat her midscreen.

I might not be the best person to take advice from though, because I've only accomplished this feat once and my attempts to repeat it have failed (I can't for the life of me take more than one round on Rachel).

V-Gief

Fugu said:
Rachel is a ridiculous cheating abomination that was inserted in the game to convince people to give up and buy their unlimited characters. It is baffling that they turned a character so tame into such a ridiculous display of overpoweredness. There is meter all the time. There are projectiles (three of them!) all the time. I was able to dodge tiny lobellia by running at her and jumping (or the reverse depending on where I was standing) with enough time to crouch and block because she'll invariably have recovered by then. Even if you play well, you will probably lose. All you can do is try to get yourself to her without getting pelted by cows or a giant frog or something and hope you can poke through a mistake, because you're not going to beat her midscreen.
Only tip I have for beating Rachel is if you manage to get to her, make it your mission to stick to her like white on rice. If she manages to put some distance between her and you again, your life is going to become very miserable, very fast.

Fugu said:
Unlimited Hakumen is cake compared to the places it goes afterwards.

Hakumen should be like fighting a regular Hakumen with a lot more health except for his now substantially more dangerous counter. The computer is very easy to block and punish (it sometimes swings at nothing at all) and use this to your advantage. Capitalizing on your hits is key if you don't want the fight to last nine years.

Hazama is so random in so many aspects that it's hard to develop much of a strategy to fighting him other than to note two things: 1. The computer will use the 45 degree chain (which is fully unblockable) on you every time it can, meaning you cannot jump in that area unless you have a plan. 2. The AI almost never uses his normals and generally sticks to using his stance moves in seemingly random order. Pokes are your best friend. With Litchi, I found that if I got him in the corner, I could SJ j.D 41236D repeatedly to kill him because he would always neutral tech to punish without enough time to beat the shinshin. If you lose control of the fight, you will notice because the AI is good at quickly generating a lead, but if you don't this actually isn't that bad.

Ragna... I don't have a strategy for this because I've never lost against CS' "Unlimited" Ragna. Play like you would against Blood Kain Ragna if it were controlled by someone on beginner mode and don't let yourself get hit by his huge range.

I might not be the best person to take advice from though, because I've only accomplished this feat once and my attempts to repeat it have failed (I can't for the life of me take more than one round on Rachel).
I just got home and got a change to read this. This is definitely going to be a big help since I'm a masochistic bastard who will probably turn the machine on when the first chance arrives. Rachel doesn't scare me as much as Hakumen or Hazama, but it's been a while since I last fought her in CS(I fought her in score attack CT a couple of days ago and she was not that hard at all...).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
GhostRidah said:
Watching this guy on the stream made be buy this game, any must need dlc I have to get with it?
Only dlc you need is the character dlc if you want to use them, otherwise don't even worry about anything

USD said:
Copied (and re-arranged) from the SSFIV thread:

Tonight night will be NSB 23 (BBCSII). Will be starting at 12 AM EDT (technically Tuesday for the US East Coast and most of the world, but whatever), though I'm sure the stream will be up an hour or two before then. Stream will be on the usual NSB channels:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nsb
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nsb2

It's the usually 3v3 format you've come to expect.

Tomorrow night is NSB 24 (AE). Same bat time, same bat channel(s).

reminder for people. the stream is currently up.

Makoto

So, while I'm watching the stream I'm looking at what I'm assuming are sponsors for NSB on the overlay. How does Team EG factor in?

Platinum looks fun, but kind of hard to use properly. I want this patch.

Wow, and another perfect. Plat in the last match, and now Tao against some Rachel. And another against Ragna. <_<

ShaneB

ApolloJoh said:
Every character looks more fun to be honest.

I'm still trying to figure out what character to learn, and watching just a little bit of that stream last night made a lot of characters look pretty damn fun. Now I'm even more confused!

I'm really liking Tsubaki though.

Fugu

ShaneB said:
I'm still trying to figure out what character to learn, and watching just a little bit of that stream last night made a lot of characters look pretty damn fun. Now I'm even more confused!

I'm really liking Tsubaki though.
Play as Litchi! Her appearance on the stream last night consisted of her losing (quite badly) to a Taokaka but she's fun, I swear.

ApolloJoh

Prototype-03 said:
I don't know if I should take you seriously. I mean, you already played the whole cast already in CS1.
Lol, I only played/will play 4 out of the 16 (going to be 17 with Platinum).

Just saying that even from the characters I don't play, people will/should have more fun with 'em than in CS1.

Fugu said:
Play as Litchi! Her appearance on the stream last night consisted of her losing (quite badly) to a Taokaka but she's fun, I swear.
She's like the only character I barely faced in CS1 and will most likely stay that way in CS2 I think.

The more the merrier I suppose, lol.

ShaneB

Fugu said:

Only messed around with Litchi a little bit in training, and she seemed pretty cool, but I think I was fairly confused with the mechanics of using her staff and getting all that down.

Fugu

Seeing as Litchi will never be as good as she was in CS1, I suppose she's destined to be forever unpopular.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Fugu said:
Seeing as Litchi will never be as good as she was in CS1, I suppose she's destined to be forever unpopular.
You have the most one sided and mostly wrong points of views when it comes to characters you like I swear.

Also are you complaining that a character isn't brain dead easy anymore?

Fugu

QisTopTier said:
You have the most one sided and mostly wrong points of views when it comes to characters you like I swear.

Also are you complaining that a character isn't brain dead easy anymore?
I don't really understand your prerogative. Basically every post you make towards me is some manner of attack. Generally you attack my taste in games, frequently you imply that I have no skill or something to that effect. And I really just want to know: What the hell is your problem? Did I offend you? Are you just a jackass? Honestly.

For the record, I'm not complaining about CS2 Litchi. I've played her a lot, and I played CT Litchi a lot. Again, coming back to my "what the hell is your problem" question, I merely said "Litchi probably won't ever be top tier again" and you interpreted that as something along the lines of ”WAAAH SHE'LL NEVER BE TOP TIER AGAIN". I'll continue to play Litchi for as long as they keep releasing BlazBlue games regardless of how she's ranked. And the notion that Litchi is "brain dead easy" is laughable. Being top tier does not necessarily make a character easy and it certainly doesn't nullify all that makes her difficult.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Fugu said:
I don't really understand your prerogative. Basically every post you make towards me is some manner of attack. Generally you attack my taste in games, frequently you imply that I have no skill or something to that effect. And I really just want to know: What the hell is your problem? Did I offend you? Are you just a jackass? Honestly.

For the record, I'm not complaining about CS2 Litchi. I've played her a lot, and I played CT Litchi a lot. Again, coming back to my "what the hell is your problem" question, I merely said "Litchi probably won't ever be top tier again" and you interpreted that as something along the lines of ”WAAAH SHE'LL NEVER BE TOP TIER AGAIN". I'll continue to play Litchi for as long as they keep releasing BlazBlue games regardless of how she's ranked. And the notion that Litchi is "brain dead easy" is laughable. Being top tier does not necessarily make a character easy and it certainly doesn't nullify all that makes her difficult.

Your telling me fighting with litchi isn't easy? Im not talking about the combo part, which does take some time to learn. I mean her basic game plan that lead to the 50/50 oki where if they fuck up they already lost.

QisTopTier said:
Your telling me fighting with litchi isn't easy? Im not talking about the combo part, which does take some time to learn. I mean her basic game plan that lead to the 50/50 oki where if they fuck up they already lost.

STFU TASKMASTER USER!!! *salty face*

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think Litchi isn't 'popular' in CS1 because of overexposure at top ranking, plus she's the postergirl for "losing half your life and being forced into good oki from getting touched" which quickly gets boring after being seen for the millionth time(not to mention that you can go and make a sandwich while she's poledancing on you).

I mean, a lot of the above is just part of BB territory but IMO it is projected on her due to how frequently she shows up and wins matches by sleeping on her advantages.

If anything you should be glad she's out of the spotlight, I main Mak and I'm not looking forward to my friends suddenly not being OK with her, despite us all being two shades from total scrubs :lol

Fugu

QisTopTier said:
I don't really know what you mean by "basic game plan" as if every character has a flowchart to winning. But what you're asserting would require that Litchi have some magical attribute that makes her opponents unable to block and she doesn't. How is it easier to learn Litchi's neutral game than anyone else's? Carl must be an easy character to use; his basic game plan consists of resetting opponents over and over again. When you simplify your description of "game plan" to fit only that character's respective advantage then it's pretty easy to make a point but it certainly doesn't make it right.

Litchi isn't unpopular by any means, I'm just surprised that a character with big boobs and big damage isn't more popular.

Fugu said:
I don't really know what you mean by "basic game plan" as if every character has a flowchart to winning. But what you're asserting would require that Litchi have some magical attribute that makes her opponents unable to block and she doesn't. How is it easier to learn Litchi's neutral game than anyone else's? Carl must be an easy character to use; his basic game plan consists of resetting opponents over and over again. When you simplify your description of "game plan" to fit only that character's respective advantage then it's pretty easy to make a point but it certainly doesn't make it right.

Litchi isn't unpopular by any means, I'm just surprised that a character with big boobs and big damage isn't more popular.

To be honest Fugu, I actually think you're one of the better players out there. You know your combos, you know how to attack, you know how to reset, 50/50 game... And if you drop combos, you know how to mixup. My personal grudge is that when I commented on how hard it is to fight with Tsubaki against Litchi and how unfair it is because of the character advantage, you seemed to take personal offense and how Litchi is not that great at "our level." In whatever level it is, Litchi outplays her. Without meter, Tsubaki's bnb is 2.4k. With 1 meter, the bnb is about 3.3k, but if you get a jab in, that bnb doesn't work. Litchi's reach is a lot longer and Tsubaki has no way to get in. Even if she does, if she doesn't have meter, it's almost pointless.

I really didn't understand how that didn't play in "our level of gameplay." I'll be the first to admit that when I use a high tier, I AM using a high tier but you seemed to try to downplay her. Hell, even when I was using the "hardest" top 3 character in CT (Rachel), I was like "LOL, that sucks... Rachel IS pretty damn strong" but you didn't even think that. Like I said, obviously, you need to know how to play to win. And you've got it. Couple that with a high tier character, it's really unfair. Litchi has good footsies and good hitboxes that are relatively safe to throw out in any circumstance (jump B and jump C). Valkenhayn is pretty much the same way too... 5C is safe, 2C is safe, jump C is safe, 236C is relatively safe (and overhead too!) and I'll pretty much abuse it 'cause it's so good (and leads to stupid combos).

Oh also, MVC3 LOOKS AWESOME!

edit: I actually don't think that Q and I ever said you were bad. You're actually quite good. It's just some of the things don't make sense.

Fugu

I recognize the role of character imbalance in mid-level play as it is pertninent mathematically, in that a mixup won by Litchi is worth anywhere from 2.5k to 4.5k depending on the specifics while Tsubaki is likely to never pull more than 3k (if that much) in a similar scenario. I also realize that Litchi has an advantage in the normals department in almost every category except speed and perhaps variety.

What I have a problem with is when this crosses into becoming a comment on player skill, and arguing that the match was won by this imbalance has this sort of nullifying effect by which it is implied that the player who won did so simply by successfully picking the correct character portrait at the character select screen. I'm not saying that I'm more skilled than everyone I've ever beaten by default, but given the small sample size how the hell would they know that I'm not? And that's the assumption that they're making by crediting the loss to the matchup. I consider it disingenuous to not base your loss on your own shortcomings until proven otherwise.

I realize that this is an easy argument to make while playing a character who is the toppest of all tiers and I really, truly look forward to when this isn't true so that I can continue to make it.

Fugu said:
I recognize the role of character imbalance in mid-level play as it is pertninent mathematically, in that a mixup won by Litchi is worth anywhere from 2.5k to 4.5k depending on the specifics while Tsubaki is likely to never pull more than 3k (if that much) in a similar scenario. I also realize that Litchi has an advantage in the normals department in almost every category except speed and perhaps variety.

What I have a problem with is when this crosses into becoming a comment on player skill, and arguing that the match was won by this imbalance has this sort of nullifying effect by which it is implied that the player who won did so simply by successfully picking the correct character portrait at the character select screen. I'm not saying that I'm more skilled than everyone I've ever beaten by default, but given the small sample size how the hell would they know that I'm not? And that's the assumption that they're making by crediting the loss to the matchup. I consider it disingenuous to not base your loss on your own shortcomings until proven otherwise.

I realize that this is an easy argument to make while playing a character who is the toppest of all tiers and I really, truly look forward to when this isn't true so that I can continue to make it.

So... I don't understand. So you agree that Litchi is superior to Tsubaki but you're also unable to say that the character matchup did NOT play in any way? Like I said, I never said you were bad. I was just saying how unfair it is in Tsubaki vs. Litchi match. Is that not true?

Also, I don't remember ever saying that while I was using Valkenhayn. Valkenhayn is about even and I don't think I've ever brought that subject up.

edit: Again, I am NOT criticizing your gameplay. I don't think I ever did and I don't think I ever will. In fact, I think you're using Litchi correctly. I know that everything has some kind of counter but it's pretty much bringing a knife in a gun battle. Yeah, the knife guy might win but what are the chances? Obviously I'm just exaggerating here, but I'm just trying to make a point. I agree that you ARE good... Like I said, one of the best players that I know and I really do enjoy playing against you. I have never said anything about your skill... but you also have a better weapon. I just don't understand how you don't see this. This is the only thing that really makes me scratch my head.

I also don't see how Litchi might end up being low tier in CS2. At the lowest, it looks like she's still mid-upper tier.

ApolloJoh

He'll get the patch regardless if PSN is up or not since PSN and title updates are on different servers.

Just can't get Platinum/play anyone online.

ShaneB

Haven't had as much to play as I'd like, but I am definitely loving this. Like it more and more each time I play. Still a hell of a lot to learn, and I hope with the patch coming, there'll be some more activity and some GAF lobbies perhaps.

Fugu

Prototype-03 said:
So... I don't understand. So you agree that Litchi is superior to Tsubaki but you're also unable to say that the character matchup did NOT play in any way? Like I said, I never said you were bad. I was just saying how unfair it is in Tsubaki vs. Litchi match. Is that not true?

Also, I don't remember ever saying that while I was using Valkenhayn. Valkenhayn is about even and I don't think I've ever brought that subject up.

edit: Again, I am NOT criticizing your gameplay. I don't think I ever did and I don't think I ever will. In fact, I think you're using Litchi correctly. I know that everything has some kind of counter but it's pretty much bringing a knife in a gun battle. Yeah, the knife guy might win but what are the chances? Obviously I'm just exaggerating here, but I'm just trying to make a point. I agree that you ARE good... Like I said, one of the best players that I know and I really do enjoy playing against you. I have never said anything about your skill... but you also have a better weapon. I just don't understand how you don't see this. This is the only thing that really makes me scratch my head.

I also don't see how Litchi might end up being low tier in CS2. At the lowest, it looks like she's still mid-upper tier.
Okay so let's say you have two sets of players playing matches. One set is a Litchi vs. Tsubaki in which the Litchi is clearly far superior to the Tsubaki player; in this matchup despite the fact that there is a character imbalance there is also quite evidently a skill imbalance so you don't credit the character imbalance with being the source of the win. Take another Litchi vs. Tsubaki set in which the players' skill levels are more difficult to determine; if the Litchi player wins, do you attribute that player's performance to the matchup (and thereby negating the role of their skill) or do you attribute it to their skill? You can't attribute it to both because the matchup is only a factor if the difference in player skill is small enough (or the matchup imbalance large enough) that the Litchi player would have lost using a different "tool", so to speak. By saying "the matchup did it", you are ultimately saying that you are better than your opponent and that's why it comes off like bad manners to me. You are commenting on my skill (whether you want to or not) when you say that I won because I had a better weapon. And hell, I'd take less offense to people outright calling me bad because I already know that's true.

Top Bottom