• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

h3ro

Thanks Fugu, I had checked out the link earlier. I should have been more clear in my post, I meant a link to the character changes in terms of move priority/frame modifications akin to the lists we saw of changes on the JPN Capcom Blog for AE.

Lucentto

Banned
I have kind of the same question as h3ro, where can I find a list of the character changes in CS2? I want to see a list of buffs Tsubaki got.

Fugu

Oh, I totally misinterpreted your post.

I don't think a totally compiled changelist exists, but there's a thread for every character (AFAIK) on Dustloop.

Wait, do I need to buy Platinum to get the update? DO NOT WANT!

Help me make sense of it.

Edit:
Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 gamers are finally going to get a chance at some quality time with BlazBlue Continuum Shift's Platinum the Trinity character. The character will arrive as paid download content on May 12, Arc System Works said today. Pricing is set at ¥800 / 560MSP.

Those who want a shot at Platinum the Trinity right now will find her in BlazBlue Continuum Shift II, which is currently in arcades and on the PSP and 3DS.

Arc System Works will also be giving the game a free patch and system data pack update on the 10th.

The screens here are technically from the arcade BlazBlue Continuum Shift II.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/04/15/blazblue_platinum_character/

Amazing ASW is going to IMPROVE the amazing online play. Will it now make me grilled cheese sandwiches too!? :O

danmaku

They did the same for the other DLCs: free patch for anyone to play against the new character, pay to unlock and use it. As for the netcode, they are probably using the version they put in Arcana Heart 3.

Fugu

Yeah, I know that's how they've done the others, but the Japanese post is ambiguous. Granted, my Japanese is sort of terrible.

_dementia said:

All changes sound good and all but what is this??

-Added an ad banner to be displayed on certain game screens

edit: My head almost exploded thinking about using an improved Tsubaki and Rachel.

Also,
shutupmoney.jpg

Yeah, I dunno what the deal with the ad banner is. Maybe the suits feel bad about giving the balance pach up for free so they found a way to subsidize it.

_dementia said:
Yeah, I dunno what the deal with the ad banner is. Maybe the suits feel bad about giving the balance pach up for free so they found a way to subsidize it.

From the wording, it sounded like you were forced to buy Platinum to unlock BBCS2

Sounds like the patch is free (which is what we've been told before) and you'll have to pay for Plat, which is how it's been in the past.

Platinum is the only thing with a price attached. If we were paying for the patch, they'd probably list a price for that, too.

Patch Notes:
-[System] Platinum character addition.
-[System] Platinum Trophy/Achievement Data.
-[Network] PSR will be displayed in match.
-[Network] Can select different characters for training mode while waiting for ranked.
-[Network] Can cancel network match after battle preparation screen.
-[Network] Ranked match specifications changed.
-[Network] Netcode improved.
-[System] Console version will be equal with the April 15th arcade build.
-[Challenge] Challenge mode updated to CS2 standard. Previous competitions transfer over.
-[Network] Added more simple messages inside player matches.
-[Network] Valkenhayn will get additional experience. (360 only)
-[Network] More penalty's against rage quitters.
-[Challenge] Changed how meters recover where gauge/meter is required.
-[System] Fixed bug when selecting mode the game might freeze.
-[System] Fixed bug when mu's certain motion cause the display color to be messed up.
-[DLC] U.Platinum and DLC Colors will be included with dlc purchase of the character.
-[Network] Ranked mode version changed to v1.03.
-[Arcade] Platinum will not be available and no additional scenarios.
-[Legion] Platinum will not be available.
-[Story] No additional scenarios for Platinum.

(rough translation, and thanks Sesame for translating ones I needed help with)
Liking what I see so far. Don't really like fighting high rank players, so the option to cancel out is good. Wasn't there a bug where Ragna vs Valkenhyn would cause a freeze?

May is going to be a rough time during the first week for the CS2 update. Finals will be up during that week and this will just be a temptation.

I can't wait to see how they managed to improve on the great netcode they've built so far.

SolarPowered said:
I can't wait to see how they managed to improve on the great netcode they've built so far.

This. I almost want to say to stop upgrading it so the rest can catch up. MvC3 is unplayable after getting used to BB netcode.

Prototype-03 said:
This. I almost want to say to stop upgrading it so the rest can catch up. MvC3 is unplayable after getting used to BB netcode.
This brings back the memories of ranked and how I was never paired with people who were out of my league. I honestly can't remember being paired with someone who had hundreds of victories over me until I had hundreds of ranked matches myself months and months after release.

It really shit all over Capcom's efforts when the first month of MvC3 ranked put me up against first and second lords who had 700+ matches while I was a fighter who JUST picked up the game.

These guys know their netcode and they know what the community really wants when it comes to function. It's a shame that something like aesthetics keeps them in the niche category of a genre that is already small to begin with...

SolarPowered said:
It's a shame that something like aesthetics keeps them in the niche category of a genre that is already small to begin with...
I was going to say that it's everyone else's loss, but really, I think the whole community loses out because of it. If BB had SF or Tekken levels of popularity, I'm sure all the fighters (except for MK) coming after it would have tried to implement more of its positive qualities.

BB designs aren't something I can fault anyone for dismissing though, even though most people judge with that "lolanimu" mindset without actually thinking about what they're looking at.

Fugu

I would rather that BlazBlue have a visual style that is off-putting to some than it have the visual style of the recent Capcom games, all of which I believe look absolutely terrible.

Fugu said:
I would rather that BlazBlue have a visual style that is off-putting to some than it have the visual style of the recent Capcom games, all of which I believe look absolutely terrible.

MvC3 doesn't look that bad

Korigama

Fugu said:
I think it's one of the worst-looking games I own. I am amazed at how put off I am by that art style.

Really? Personally, I consider it to have the best art style of any recent Capcom fighter (missteps like Jill's win portrait notwithstanding). If you said SFIV/SSFIV, then I'd agree.

Fugu said:
I think it's one of the worst-looking games I own. I am amazed at how put off I am by that art style.
It's a little surprising that anyone could see that game's art style as "bad". I think it was done amazingly well, and they really came through with designs and hypers for the cast.

It's one of the few games on the 360 or the PS3 that may stand the test of time(It would stand the test for sure if there were a PC port) in my opinion.

Fugu

SolarPowered said:
It's a little surprising that anyone could see that game's art style as "bad". I think it was done amazingly well, and they really came through with designs and hypers for the cast.

It's one of the few games on the 360 or the PS3 that may stand the test of time(It would stand the test for sure if there were a PC port) in my opinion.
I don't just find it bad, I find it horrible. It totally puts me off every time.

danmaku

Fugu said:
I don't just find it bad, I find it horrible. It totally puts me off every time.

Same here. The characters look like cheap action figures, it's terrible. And what's whit all that black? every character is shaded so heavily that they are half black all the time. I can't understand why they didn't use the Tatsunoko Vs Capcom style of cel shading.

Fugu

QisTopTier said:
Not animu enough for ya? Honestly I find mvc3 to be one of the best looking games artwise.
I'm not a fan of 3D in 2D in general, and I only like it when it's done well (I like the style of the SSB series, for example). Perhaps if the look of the different characters was more cohesive I would enjoy it more, but there are inherent stylistic problems with that (namely that half of the characters are from one company/continent and the other half are from another).

Hey dudes, I am LTTP to BlazBlue, any good resources for new players? Also, what layout do most of you use on Mad Catz sticks ABC on top row and D on the first button on bottom?

Master Milk said:
dustloop.com

I play with my thumb on D, so, yea, what you described.
Thanks.

You know, from someone who plays a lot of SSF4 and MvC3, I have to ask. How does Capcom get away with their shit when a game like this exists and has a crazy robust feature set? It is somewhat depressing that they can't keep up with Arc System Works.

darkressurection said:
Thanks.

You know, from someone who plays a lot of SSF4 and MvC3, I have to ask. How does Capcom get away with their shit when a game like this exists and has a crazy robust feature set? It is somewhat depressing that they can't keep up with Arc System Works.
Because you aren't the only one that plays lots of SSF4 and MVC3, or the only one that's LTTP for BB.

darkressurection said:
Thanks.

Lots of people who play SSF4 and MvC3 just like you, but for one reason or another have not played, seen or bought BlazBlue.

Oh, and one more thing. Capcom can definitely keep up, but they're just not being pressured. There is no real competition for their specific brands/titles so they only do the bare minimum to ensure great sales. It's something that most companies in their position would do, really.

SolarPowered said:
Lots of people who play SSF4 and MvC3 just like you, but for one reason or another have not played, seen or bought BlazBlue.

Oh, and one more thing. Capcom can definitely keep up, but they're just not being pressured. There is no real competition for their specific brands/titles so they only do the bare minimum to ensure great sales. It's something that most companies in their position would do, really.
It is just a total bummer, in particular if there is one thing I wish Capcom would "borrow" from BlazBlue, it is the Tutorial stuff. It is really cool that each character has their own little section that explains some of their basics. Unfortunately, I haven't had my arcade stick with me so I haven't played much, but I know a lot of people really like the netcode. It is supposed to be the best out there at the moment right?

darkressurection said:
It is just a total bummer, in particular if there is one thing I wish Capcom would "borrow" from BlazBlue, it is the Tutorial stuff. It is really cool that each character has their own little section that explains some of their basics. Unfortunately, I haven't had my arcade stick with me so I haven't played much, but I know a lot of people really like the netcode. It is supposed to be the best out there at the moment right?
On consoles, yeah.

_dementia said:
On consoles, yeah.
That's good to know, this is kind of off topic, but how is the Arcana Heart 3 netcode supposed to be? I spent some time over the weekend watching some Team Sp00ky archives from when they got the game, and it looked interesting to me so I was thinking of picking it up when PSN was back online.

danmaku

darkressurection said:
That's good to know, this is kind of off topic, but how is the Arcana Heart 3 netcode supposed to be? I spent some time over the weekend watching some Team Sp00ky archives from when they got the game, and it looked interesting to me so I was thinking of picking it up when PSN was back online.

AH3 uses the same netcode as Blazblue. While the game itself was programmed by Examu, the console ports were made by Arc System Works.

Solune

darkressurection said:
Yup netcode in Arcana Heart 3 Blazblue-like so you rarely get hiccups. Was playing Wednesday night with Gaffers and it was really solid until PSN went down of course.

Yeah, definitely gonna have to get AH3 then. I got around to playing some BB online today and this shit is GDLK. I even managed to pull out a few wins, although it was mostly me getting bodied.

darkressurection said:
This was probably one of the most incredible moments for me when I played Calamity Trigger. I'd never seen characters with such different playstyles in a single game(I played Guilty gear, but I was too young to appreciate the nuance of the game). It just blew my mind when I saw that they had managed to make a game work so well with such a varied cast.

It makes me wish that they had the funding and manpower to fund a larger project that would set the bar for fighting games in art, function and in gameplay(and in marketing haha). Guilty gear and BlazBlue both feel like just a taste of what they could really offer in my opinion...

SolarPowered said:
It makes me wish that they had the funding and manpower to fund a larger project that would set the bar for fighting games in art, function and in gameplay(and in marketing haha). Guilty gear and BlazBlue both feel like just a taste of what they could really offer in my opinion...
I'm sitting here trying to think of what exactly you could be hoping for, and I don't think I'm doing a good job. Are you talking about the animation? I hear people complain about that sometimes.

When I play BB, I feel like it's a proper fighting game. It has a solid number of characters, stages, and game modes. It feels like what I'd expect a fighting game to be. When you say you want a bigger fighting game project, I honestly can't wrap my head around what you could possibly be hoping for. I'm assuming, of course, that you don't just mean a game with more characters, stages, and game modes, since we (should) all know that those will come eventually as the franchise gets older.

So, what exactly are you thinking of?

Master Milk said:
I'm sitting here trying to think of what exactly you could be hoping for, and I don't think I'm doing a good job. Are you talking about the animation? I hear people complain about that sometimes.

When I play BB, I feel like it's a proper fighting game. It has a solid number of characters, stages, and game modes. It feels like what I'd expect a fighting game to be. When you say you want a bigger fighting game project, I honestly can't wrap my head around what you could possibly be hoping for. I'm assuming, of course, that you don't just mean a game with more characters, stages, and game modes, since we (should) all know that those will come eventually as the franchise gets older.

So, what exactly are you thinking of?
These are things I'm thinking of and I'm pretty sure that they're not really capable of doing this right now. I'm pretty sure that they're nearly done with BlazBlue's story and they are not talking about a vs game at all in the near future. A lot of expansions and additions that are typical for other games(30+ characters, vs games with their own IP and IP from other companies) are not possible for this company(maybe it's not a goal who knows) and these are the kinds of things that would take their games to the next level stylistically and mechanically in my opinion. I'm absolutely thankful for the patch that is coming and I see myself buying their next product eagerly because they do great work, but I feel that they have certain limits that other publishers and devs do not. The one thing I'm sure of is that they've given us the best bang for our buck when compared to other offerings that should have been even better(MvC3 for one...).

Maybe I just went overboard a bit, but this is how I feel.

I do think that I went overboard a bit haha...

Top Bottom