• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

ShaneB

Knowing how apparently awesome the netcode is for this, finally has me really thinking about picking this up.

I'm part of the "it looks too outrageous/silly" crowd, so it was never something that interested me, but hearing that it's a pretty solid title has me interested, after I was burned with mvc3.

SolarPowered said:
These are things I'm thinking of and I'm pretty sure that they're not really capable of doing this right now. I'm pretty sure that they're nearly done with BlazBlue's story and they are not talking about a vs game at all in the near future. A lot of expansions and additions that are typical for other games(30+ characters, vs games with their own IP and IP from other companies) are not possible for this company(maybe it's not a goal who knows) and these are the kinds of things that would take their games to the next level stylistically and mechanically in my opinion. I'm absolutely thankful for the patch that is coming and I see myself buying their next product eagerly because they do great work, but I feel that they have certain limits that other publishers and devs do not. The one thing I'm sure of is that they've given us the best bang for our buck when compared to other offerings that should have been even better(MvC3 for one...).

Maybe I just went overboard a bit, but this is how I feel.

I do think that I went overboard a bit haha...
That's interesting. Where did you hear that? I don't care about the story, but from the half I played to unlock Mu, I never would have guessed that. It seemed more like they'd only just begun telling the story, honestly. But, they could just as easily end it with the next one if they wanted; I just don't see that happening.

I think one thing that needs to be said about those other types of expansions, 30+ characters and Vs games, is that they're usually not the highest of quality. Taking shots at Capcom since they're the biggest target presently, Street Fighter rosters are filled with variations of the same character playstyle, which allows for that 30+ roster to be reached more easily. Versus games were traditionally composed of mostly reused assets from previous games that could easily look old and outdated.
Everyone still loves you, Morrigan.
Variations of existing characters and reusing assets aren't inherently bad, but if done poorly and too much the quality will suffer.

Basically, even if those things are typical, I don't see them as inherent improvements, especially when talking about Versus games.

I will say though, that after you've mentioned larger projects, I would be open to them doing different types of games along the traditional 2D fighters. A 3D fighter rivaling DOA's graphical standards would be interesting from them, especially if the fighters were weapon based like Arc Sys seems to like. Something that feels like Bushido Blade would be heaven. A team based fighter, 2D or 3D, could be fun assuming they learned from Isuka. I think they could make something along the lines of either Rival Schools or DOA's tag battle really shine.

So getting back to comment that started this, I also think it would be nice if they had the ability to do more than just their mainline game. I just don't think that those projects would be, or would need to be, any bigger than the games they've already made.

SolarPowered said:
These are things I'm thinking of and I'm pretty sure that they're not really capable of doing this right now. I'm pretty sure that they're nearly done with BlazBlue's story and they are not talking about a vs game at all in the near future. A lot of expansions and additions that are typical for other games(30+ characters, vs games with their own IP and IP from other companies) are not possible for this company(maybe it's not a goal who knows) and these are the kinds of things that would take their games to the next level stylistically and mechanically in my opinion. I'm absolutely thankful for the patch that is coming and I see myself buying their next product eagerly because they do great work, but I feel that they have certain limits that other publishers and devs do not. The one thing I'm sure of is that they've given us the best bang for our buck when compared to other offerings that should have been even better(MvC3 for one...).

Maybe I just went overboard a bit, but this is how I feel.

I do think that I went overboard a bit haha...

I don't think they're near being finished. They'll keep expanding the roster though... Same thing happened with GG. It's not that it's not possible, but Arc seems like their approach is to balance the game out by starting out with a small roster and update almost yearly. They also like to mess around with their system a lot... BBCT is a very different game from BBCS, and BBCS2 has some changes that makes it different from BBCS. It's not just an update like SSF4, where they just added some characters and changed some damages or hit boxes, they actually rework the system which is a pretty bold thing to do, considering that I never saw anything wrong with the system in BBCT nor BBCS.

edit: Also, I don't see arc finishing a new IP that just came out recently. That's like Capcom stating that street fighter is done. Worse comes to worst, they'll probably start making a storyline like Tekken or SF just to keep it going... Although I HOPE nothing like that happens.

Fugu

You know, I've never personally felt that they were limited by their budget. BlazBlue feels so much more complete to me than any other fighter on the market. I see its future being similar to Guilty Gear's.

I'm having trouble with Tao's seventh challenge. I can do the first drive part, but the jump C misses more often than not, and when it hits, the 8D flies over Bang instead of connecting. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong, aside from choosing to do Tao's challenges?

Of course, as soon as I decide to finally ask for help I figure out the problem.

CHALLENGE CLEAR!!

ApolloJoh

You probably shouldn't bother with the challenges really since the patch coming in a couple weeks.

Has new challenges with the new system changes in effect and stuff.

New challenges? All the more reason to finish. There's only three to go
, and PSN will probably still be down when we're supposed to get the patch anyway.

ShaneB said:
Knowing how apparently awesome the netcode is for this, finally has me really thinking about picking this up.

I'm part of the "it looks too outrageous/silly" crowd, so it was never something that interested me, but hearing that it's a pretty solid title has me interested, after I was burned with mvc3.
You should pick it up. The free patch with character updates and good netcode should be enough to entice anyone. The game also has the hilarious stuff in story mode that can get a chuckle out of anyone(some of the humor is a little more traditional while other characters are downright abusive haha). It's certainly a steal at thirty bucks. The ranking system also paired you against people who were at your level right from the start which is something that Capcom took more than a month to get right(You'll probably fight some monsters on ranked now, but Player lobbies are pretty awesome anyway).
Master Milk said:
That's interesting. Where did you hear that? I don't care about the story, but from the half I played to unlock Mu, I never would have guessed that. It seemed more like they'd only just begun telling the story, honestly. But, they could just as easily end it with the next one if they wanted; I just don't see that happening.
I remember reading somewhere that the number of BlazBlue titles is tied to the story(supposedly a trilogy if I remember correctly). It's been said that a new VS game is not happening, but that Guilty Gear is very possible once they are done with BlazBlue's story. This is likely since we've already gotten three BlazBlue titles as it is(CT, CS and CSII in a couple of weeks here in the US) and two of them have a robust story mode which would imply a true finale when the next game after CSII launches in retail(a ways off obviously).

I looked everywhere on the internet, but I can't find an article stating that BlazBlue's run is tied to it's story, but it doesn't seem like there is much left to explain storywise. Anyone who played CS's story mode knows that they're just about on the final part of the story(the heroes and villains are exposing themselves and it seems like some major developments that could end the story are already exposed
with Bang's nox class weapon, Ragna's recent revelation and Jin's past/future roles
) and I have not heard of any Story updates in the CSII patch(only character updates, netcode updates, etc) so I think it's safe to assume that we've got one more game left that can tie up what is left of the story.

It's all rumors and hearsay without the proper article or source though.
Master Milk said:
I think one thing that needs to be said about those other types of expansions, 30+ characters and Vs games, is that they're usually not the highest of quality. Taking shots at Capcom since they're the biggest target presently, Street Fighter rosters are filled with variations of the same character playstyle, which allows for that 30+ roster to be reached more easily. Versus games were traditionally composed of mostly reused assets from previous games that could easily look old and outdated.
Everyone still loves you, Morrigan.
Variations of existing characters and reusing assets aren't inherently bad, but if done poorly and too much the quality will suffer.

Basically, even if those things are typical, I don't see them as inherent improvements, especially when talking about Versus games.
My point was that they've managed to squeeze a lot of creativity and function out of budgets that are a merely a fraction of whatever Capcom devs are used to and I can imagine that they'd do much more if they had the funds.
Master Milk said:
I will say though, that after you've mentioned larger projects, I would be open to them doing different types of games along the traditional 2D fighters. A 3D fighter rivaling DOA's graphical standards would be interesting from them, especially if the fighters were weapon based like Arc Sys seems to like. Something that feels like Bushido Blade would be heaven. A team based fighter, 2D or 3D, could be fun assuming they learned from Isuka. I think they could make something along the lines of either Rival Schools or DOA's tag battle really shine.
I've never even given it some thought. Whenever I think of Arc system works I think of 2D or 2.5D at most. The thought of something like Soul Calibur from them sounds very appealing to me, but I don't expect this when costs for 3D production are skyrocketing and they are so focused on anime inspired art. It's certainly possible if they go with a small roster like BB though...
Master Milk said:
So getting back to comment that started this, I also think it would be nice if they had the ability to do more than just their mainline game. I just don't think that those projects would be, or would need to be, any bigger than the games they've already made.
I may be alone in this, but I think that BlazBlue was a larger endeavor than Guilty gear. Making a 2D fighter in this day and age is a very risky move and it is compounded by their artistic preferences. The fact that these sprites were in HD resolution was also a big risk(Just look at SNK and the fuck up they had because they didn't go all the way). Design choices that we take for granted and enjoy so much are now nearly taboo for anyone who is not Capcom or Arc System works. I think that speaks for itself when it comes to the risk and work they put into it. I can't even begin to imagine what they might put out if they had enough funding to work without heavy risk.
Prototype-03 said:
I don't think they're near being finished. They'll keep expanding the roster though... Same thing happened with GG. It's not that it's not possible, but Arc seems like their approach is to balance the game out by starting out with a small roster and update almost yearly. They also like to mess around with their system a lot... BBCT is a very different game from BBCS, and BBCS2 has some changes that makes it different from BBCS. It's not just an update like SSF4, where they just added some characters and changed some damages or hit boxes, they actually rework the system which is a pretty bold thing to do, considering that I never saw anything wrong with the system in BBCT nor BBCS.

edit: Also, I don't see arc finishing a new IP that just came out recently. That's like Capcom stating that street fighter is done. Worse comes to worst, they'll probably start making a storyline like Tekken or SF just to keep it going... Although I HOPE nothing like that happens.
I'm sure that the game is still far from finished, but I don't expect more than a couple of games from them at this point. They've made it seem like the story is tied to the main games and something like CSII seems like their way of sneaking in another revision without having to touch elements of the story(which would decrease the amount of content they'll have for their next main game). I just don't see them putting much more into BlazBlue if the story is tied so closely to their main games.

Whether or not I'm correct completely hinges on whether or not the story is that important to to them though. A single mistake is all it takes for my speculation to completely fall apart so I'm not going to get really serious about it.

Fugu

ApolloJoh said:
You probably shouldn't bother with the challenges really since the patch coming in a couple weeks.

Has new challenges with the new system changes in effect and stuff.
I wouldn't do the challenge mode period. There are always better combos you can be spending your time learning and doing a combo to complete it only once can't really be doing much for your execution.

Fugu said:
I wouldn't do the challenge mode period. There are always better combos you can be spending your time learning and doing a combo to complete it only once can't really be doing much for your execution.
It's not worth it if you actually want to make those combos your own, but it helps you learn what you might use. A few of the basic combos in Bang's challenge mode actually became a staple for me after trying them a few times as challenges.

I look at challenge mode like the martial arts in real life. You may not use it in real life, but you'll take the basics and apply them if you are ever in a pinch.

Going through BB withdrawls here. Never knew how much I liked waking up in the middle of the night just for a few matches to get me back to sleep. PSN down...le sigh

ApolloJoh

Fugu said:

But the trophy, man. The trophy.

Fugu

SolarPowered said:
It's not worth it if you actually want to make those combos your own, but it helps you learn what you might use. A few of the basic combos in Bang's challenge mode actually became a staple for me after trying them a few times as challenges.

I look at challenge mode like the martial arts in real life. You may not use it in real life, but you'll take the basics and apply them if you are ever in a pinch.
I still think you're better off learning what you'll actually use as opposed to some things that you might and a whole bunch of crap you won't. They make combos seem so much more complex than they actually are.

Is there still a lot of people playing who are noob? Really want to play this game but I never played any of the BlazBlue games and I don't want to get perfected on every round lol

danmaku

Not "a lot" but I still see rooms with the noob icon and find low level players in ranked matches. Many players are waiting for the CS2 patch to go back to the game, we'll see more people online (and more newbies) once the patch hits.

GhostRidah said:
Is there still a lot of people playing who are noob? Really want to play this game but I never played any of the BlazBlue games and I don't want to get perfected on every round lol
I'm completely noob at this game. If PSN ever comes back, and you're on PS3, we can get some games going.

I'm pretty bad, and wouldn't mind playing some new players either. I played the game a couple of weeks ago and realized I forgot most of my character. At least I can start fresh when CSII drops.

ShaneB

Thinking about trading in MVC3 and picking this up on the weekend, so I'll be looking for some beginner matches as well on Live.

edit: Also, what is this about CS2? Pretty clueless about the goings on of this series, sure I saw that it was just for the handhelds? Ah... just checked.. and the changes for CS2 are indeed in this upcoming patch in May. Excellent!

Fugu

There's still plenty of players of all skill levels floating around. You can beat probably around half of the players online by learning a BnB and hitconfirming it every once in awhile.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I just picked this up the other day and am totally new to the developer (never even played Guilty Gear!). Are there any must-watch match videos on YouTube?

xero273

DjangoReinhardt said:
I just picked this up the other day and am totally new to the developer (never even played Guilty Gear!). Are there any must-watch match videos on YouTube?

best training is probably already in game. do tutorial mode. learn basics. Then pick a character and do their challenges to get familiar with their combos. Also, www.dustloop.com is a very good place to get info on characters. Good luck.

ShaneB

DjangoReinhardt said:

Just got my copy today as well, I am totally clueless. Just messing around in training. Figure out which character seems cool and work from there.

Is there a 'Ryu' in this that works best for learning all the basics?

Fugu

_dementia said:
Learn the basics with Ragna. He's also a pretty strong character in high level play in this version.
This is becoming less valid by the day and now CS1 Ragna looks decidedly mid. I would suggest picking whatever character interests you; just keep in mind that Carl, Litchi and Taokaka have particularly high execution requirements so if you're averse to that you will have an increased amount of difficulty learning how to use those characters. If you're playing on a pad, you may also want to avoid characters that employ a lot of negative edging as this is inherently more difficult on a pad than it is on a stick.

If you're new to the game, I would suggest taking some time to familiarize yourself with all of your moves (especially all of your normals); you can do this in many different ways but one of the most accessible ways to do it is to just play against the computer. At the least, you should know which of your moves hit where (is it an overhead? Is it a low?), which of your moves have specific purposes (is it a DP? Does it provide head invulnerability?), and you should hope to have a general idea of which moves are fast and and which moves aren't. You will eventually learn your gatlings by learning combos so you don't need to concern yourself with that just yet. Once you feel comfortable with that, learn a BnB off of a common opener (5B is this for many characters). Some people suggest challenge mode but I personally think it's a waste of time, your mileage may vary.

ShaneB

Thanks for the suggestions and info.

Ragna seemed pretty cool, seemed like an easier guy for a beginner to learn, or learn the basics of Blazblue.

I'm on a stick Fugu, so that's not an issue, but I'm not much an expert with execution, so perhaps I'll stay away from those characters you mentioned. I guess in a sense it'll just come to time played and learning as I go. I'll definitely be up for some matches with folks here. I'm sure it'll just be fun to mash some cool stuff out.

Fugu

ShaneB said:
Thanks for the suggestions and info.

Ragna seemed pretty cool, seemed like an easier guy for a beginner to learn, or learn the basics of Blazblue.

I'm on a stick Fugu, so that's not an issue, but I'm not much an expert with execution, so perhaps I'll stay away from those characters you mentioned. I guess in a sense it'll just come to time played and learning as I go. I'll definitely be up for some matches with folks here. I'm sure it'll just be fun to mash some cool stuff out.
It's not a huge deal. I had literally no prior experience going into BlazBlue on a stick or with a non-SSB:M fighting game and I picked up Litchi just fine. However, I spent a lot of time dropping the same combos over and over again and if that doesn't sound like your kind of fun you're probably better off just avoiding the hastle anyway.

Expect to play a lot of mirror matches as Ragna.

ApolloJoh said:
I think the Ragna mirrors will die down with the patch.

Lol, who am I kidding.
I can't wait to see the new Tsubaki in action. Her combos feel so fun to do and some new buffs could make her more viable than ever.

The patch can't come soon enough...

ShaneB

Fugu said:
It's not a huge deal. I had literally no prior experience going into BlazBlue on a stick or with a non-SSB:M fighting game and I picked up Litchi just fine. However, I spent a lot of time dropping the same combos over and over again and if that doesn't sound like your kind of fun you're probably better off just avoiding the hastle anyway.

Expect to play a lot of mirror matches as Ragna.

Eh... perhaps I'll skip Ragna than. He seems cool sure, but I don't want to be that guy.

But I'm loving it so far, just messing around in training, and the tutorial has some pretty funny writing for that Rachel character.

I might be around for some matches this afternoon.

edit: I'm really liking Hazama and Jin

ApolloJoh

SolarPowered said:
I can't wait to see the new Tsubaki in action. Her combos feel so fun to do and some new buffs could make her more viable than ever.

The patch can't come soon enough...

Yeah her new stuff seems really cool and people'll actually use her now.

Wonder if I'll play her or Ragna more out of my sub characters (main's Litchi and "main" sub's Hakumen).

ShaneB

Just hopped online for some fun matches to check things out. Lots of button mashing as I figured, but it was fun as hell.

Going through the tutorials as well, lots of stuff there to learn.

ApolloJoh said:
Yeah her new stuff seems really cool and people'll actually use her now.

Wonder if I'll play her or Ragna more out of my sub characters (main's Litchi and "main" sub's Hakumen).
I know she'll probably get a lot of play with me if Platinum does not stick. Her drive combos are just way too fun.

ShaneB

Ok, this tutorial mode is AWESOME.

edit: But apparently wants to freeze the game every time I finish the last advanced portion.

edit: Apparently it's a common issue, no worries than on my end.

DjangoReinhardt

ShaneB said:
Ok, this tutorial mode is AWESOME.

edit: But apparently wants to freeze the game every time I finish the last advanced portion.

edit: Apparently it's a common issue, no worries than on my end.
Same thing happened to me.

This game has an interesting web of system mechanics.

ShaneB

DjangoReinhardt said:
Same thing happened to me.

This game has an interesting web of system mechanics.

The tutorial is awesome, but man it's a lot to take in, definitely a lot more complex than I'm used to from Street Fighter and other fighters.

This thread seems pretty inactive, so I guess with the new patch coming the influx will return.

I haven't checked much of CS2, but are the changes drastic? Should I bother spending much time learning things now or just mess around and wait until the patch?

DjangoReinhardt

ShaneB said:
The tutorial is awesome, but man it's a lot to take in, definitely a lot more complex than I'm used to from Street Fighter and other fighters.

This thread seems pretty inactive, so I guess with the new patch coming the influx will return.

I haven't checked much of CS2, but are the changes drastic? Should I bother spending much time learning things now or just mess around and wait until the patch?
My understanding is that the move from Calamity Trigger to Continuum Shift was the mechanics overhaul; CS2 is the balance patch. I'm not worried about learning stuff that will be outdated in two weeks.

Fugu

DjangoReinhardt said:
My understanding is that the move from Calamity Trigger to Continuum Shift was the mechanics overhaul; CS2 is the balance patch. I'm not worried about learning stuff that will be outdated in two weeks.
CS2 is about as different as CT is and the system changes don't quite reflect this.

I decided to get an achievement through score attack mode(beat unlimited Rachel) and this shit is ridiculous. The CPU is way out of control for the unlimited characters. I'm pretty sure score attack is the only way you can unlock the unlimited characters without spending cash and the difficulty is seriously too high even with a favorite character(hell, I never beat score attack at my peak). I'd imagine that most people who even bought the game never used unlimited characters since the curve on score attack is so steep.

Getting past unlimited Hakumen is already a nightmare of it's own and a single fuckup will have you spending another fifteen minutes beating more than half the cast before you can fight him again(and probably lose). They should ease up on score attack or just let people use unlimited characters from the beginning.

Probably my only complaint in this game...

SolarPowered said:
I decided to get an achievement through score attack mode(beat unlimited Rachel) and this shit is ridiculous. The CPU is way out of control for the unlimited characters. I'm pretty sure score attack is the only way you can unlock the unlimited characters without spending cash and the difficulty is seriously too high even with a favorite character(hell, I never beat score attack at my peak). I'd imagine that most people who even bought the game never used unlimited characters since the curve on score attack is so steep.

Getting past unlimited Hakumen is already a nightmare of it's own and a single fuckup will have you spending another fifteen minutes beating more than half the cast before you can fight him again(and probably lose). They should ease up on score attack or just let people use unlimited characters from the beginning.

Probably my only complaint in this game...
You need two controllers, press start on the second one before you lose. Do a quick one round, 30 second match and then you're back.

Though, if you can get to Hakumen in 15 minutes I have no idea how you lose to him. I'd imagine most people would end up buying the unlimited characters so they wouldn't have to bother with score attack. But yea, score attack is ass.

danmaku

ShaneB said:

If you are still learning the basics, they won't change. Just take a look at a changelog for your character, there are some bnb that will change and you shouldn't waste time learning.

USD

Copied (and re-arranged) from the SSFIV thread:

Tonight night will be NSB 23 (BBCSII). Will be starting at 12 AM EDT (technically Tuesday for the US East Coast and most of the world, but whatever), though I'm sure the stream will be up an hour or two before then. Stream will be on the usual NSB channels:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nsb
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nsb2

It's the usually 3v3 format you've come to expect.

Tomorrow night is NSB 24 (AE). Same bat time, same bat channel(s).

Top Bottom