• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

Beth Cyra

-PXG- said:
But what do you have to say to the people who base value on development costs as well?

To be frank I could careless about development cost, I speak for no one other then myself on these matters, if that is how they choose to look at things so be it. All I care about is, is the amount of fun and time I am going to pay justify the cost? With Makoto and Plat, yes I do believe it will so there for I will buy them.

Edit: just realized I have been spelling her name wrong, bein dumb again. My bad.

ZealousD said:
2n6c213.png
:lol

I suppose that it's just a little annoying because I'd like to try Platina, Makoto and Valk for myself. My cousin actually thought Makoto was pretty cool, and he was actually hyped about this BB over the first one which he wasn't feeling.

If he decides that he doesn't want the game because a couple of the DLC characters are too expensive then it not only hurts the fighting game community in terms of growth, but it also cuts into the profits made off of this game.

I just want to try Platina. :()

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ZealousD said:

:lol Gaffy. I like that.

Honestly? I'd pony up for Underboob and Bulter looking dude. Hell, I wish they would have made Jubei a DLC character. Would be day one.

Beth Cyra

SolarPowered said:
:lol

I suppose that it's just a little annoying because I'd like to try Platina, Makoto and Valk for myself. My cousin actually thought Makoto was pretty cool, and he was actually hyped about this BB over the first one which he wasn't feeling.

If he decides that he doesn't want the game because a couple of the DLC characters are too expensive then it not only hurts the fighting game community in terms of growth, but it also cuts into the profits made off of this game.

I just want to try Platina. :()

I can feel for ya kind of, and I got lucky the character I wanted more then any other was made a part of CS proper so I don't have to pay extra.

-PXG-

HeresSomeWeapons said:
You don't have to buy them. Seriously

For $40 you get the full arcade release, plus an additional character and a bunch of new modes. How is that a raw deal?

Because the competition (read: Capcom) released an updated version of their game, but $20 less than the normal price.

Personally, I think it's a bad move on the publisher's behalf. But who knows, if Activision has proved anything, is that people truly will put up with (almost) anything and still fork over their cash for extra content that (I think) should be at no additional charge. I can't wait for people to get tired of Call of Duty, so that people will wake up and realize that they've been scammed all this time.

Anyway, paying for DLC that was made after development is okay. That is extra money that has be made back from paying people to make additional content after the game was shipped. But charging consumers for DLC made during development is a fucked up practice. Sure, BBCS came out in arcades first, therefore, the extra characters in the console version were technically made after the fact. But that's really stretching it.

-PXG- said:
Paying for DLC that was made after development is okay. That is extra money that has be made back from paying people to make additional content after the game was shipped. But charging consumers for DLC made during development is a fucked up practice. Sure, BBCS came out in arcades first, therefore, the extra characters in the console version were technically made after the fact. But that's really stretching it.
Aren't the new characters being worked on after development? They aren't on the discs, I thought.

Beth Cyra

-PXG- said:
Because the competition (read: Capcom) released an updated version of their game, but $20 less than the normal price.

Personally, I think it's a bad move on the publisher's behalf. But who knows, if Activision has proved anything, is that people truly will put up with (almost) anything and still fork over their cash for extra content that (I think) should be at no additional charge.

Paying for DLC that was made after development is okay. That is extra money that has be made back from paying people to make additional content after the game was shipped. But charging consumers for DLC made during development is a fucked up practice. Sure, BBCS came out in arcades first, therefore, the extra characters in the console version were technically made after the fact. But that's really stretching it.

This is what we are doing most likely for Plat, and even if it wasn't think about when that rebalance patch hits, it is going to be like a completely different game they are giving us and it is going ot be completely free, and other game and you would have to pay for that kind of upgrade.

Not only that, but just because you think it should be free doesn't mean everyone does, would I like it if it was free? Sure. But in no way do I think the one of 2 devs that are still making HD sprite based fighters should have to give me that hardwork for free.

One thing I would like to point out is this fucking mess is why I believe Capcom said fuck 2D HD, they could put those ten characters in SSFIV at a much cheaper cost and with less difficulty so it appears they did alot more work.

-PXG-

voodoopanda said:
Aren't the new characters being worked on after development? They aren't on the discs, I thought.

Well, if that is the case, then (from a pure logical standpoint) I don't have a problem with that. But why not just delay the game and make it cost $60? Whether they charge $7 for each or release them in retail (at a total of $60) makes no difference. The only thing they risk by doing that are people losing interest, or possibly, releasing BBCS at the same time the competition is releasing their games.

Varion

voodoopanda said:
They aren't (there's just empty folders for them), but like luka said that doesn't mean much. Could always have just created the characters and then, well, not put them on the disc.

Not getting involved in this argument though, because when you have to spend upwards of £50 importing pretty much every game you buy your idea of value for money gets... lost somewhere down the line.

obonicus

-PXG- said:
Well, if that is the case, then (from a pure logical standpoint) I don't have a problem with that. But why not just delay the game and make it cost $60?

Maybe some people only want to play the game as it exists in arcades and don't want to pay for the extra characters. They have that option here and they don't have to wait to play the game.

Whether they charge $7 for each or release them in retail (at a total of $60) makes no difference.

This would only be true if the DLC were mandatory. It's not. The price of the game is still $40.

The only thing they risk by doing that are people losing interest, or possibly, releasing BBCS at the same time the competition is releasing their games.

If we have people arguing that optional DLC raises the price of the game and makes it look bad against SSF4, imagine how bad it'd be if the game's price were actually $60.

luka said:
Why do people keep saying Platina? Isn't her name Platinum?

The Japanese spelling is like Platina, but apparently the image of her name on the character select screen is on the disc too, and that says "Platinum".

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Sir Ilpalazzo said:
The Japanese spelling is like Platina, but apparently the image of her name on the character select screen is on the disc too, and that says "Platinum".

Oh, right. I didn't even think of that. Was she ever mentioned in CT story mode? I can't remember.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
luka said:
Oh, right. I didn't even think of that. Was she ever mentioned in CT story mode? I can't remember.

Just as 1 of the Six Heroes, but that is it, I don't think they mention her name, but just that she was one of the 6 heroes.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
-DarKaoZ- said:
Just as 1 of the Six Heroes, but that is it, I don't think they mention her name, but just that she was one of the 6 heroes.

Yeah, I was curious about the name. It seemed people knew of it before the stuff on the disc was discovered.

Well for DLC i be buying all 3 new chars .
7 a month is not much compare to the amount time i am going to put into this game.
Plus BB is sort of game where no one plays alike which is huge plus.

Coeliacus

-PXG- said:
Again, Capcom added 10 characters, plus new modes and tons of tweaks and balancing and still managed make the game $40. No DLC, no waiting, no additional costs, no bullshit. Aksys should have matched that model as close as possible, so that BBCS could be more competitive in the market. Not doing so will put themselves in a bad position and piss off consumers. It's a bad move. But hey, if most people are as willing as you guys, then the shame is on us consumers, not Aksys.

Like it or not, this is the direction that fighters will likely go now, after the flak that SSF4 copped for NOT being DLC, but a full retail game. If rumours are correct, it's highly likely that SSF4 will get additional DLC costumes and characters in the future. They will opt to do this rather than opt for a 'third strike' style release for a new game.

BB is doing the same thing. Three DLC characters and a balance patch later, and we basically have a third edition of the game. Considering that they'll certainly (not confirmed, but I know they will) release a new version of the arcade game to coincide with the big balance patch.

It's easy to compare this to SF4 and SSF4 and point to numbers, but consider these, equivalents:
GGX - BB:CT
GGXX - BB:CS
GGXX: Reload - BB:CS 1.5

They aren't exactly equivalent in change with each other, but the system changes and character editions are probably about the same between the first and third edition. For GG fans, this meant three retail games. For BB fans this is two retail games and an extra $20 maybe. More importantly GG had two more updates which pretty much excluded all but the hardcore fans at that point... Arc no longer has to take this route... DLC is much more viable in the future. If we see a BB:Third Strike without substantial changes and additions I'll sigh along with you.

I know I'm rambling, but going back to the BB vs SF comparison, there is two things worth considering:
-Characters value is not equivalent. BB characters individuality is much higher and some of them need their own systems designed for them.
-Capcom is a huge company, Arc is something like 90 staff last count. They put everything they have behind BB. That might not be worth much to a discerning customer like yourself, but to a fan who wants to see them get more stuff out there it's a big deal.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Capcom did some things BB: CS aren't and vice versa. BB: CD will have a much better netcode, tutorial, and challenge modes to learn the ins and outs of the game. Balance patches as well. Also, can play online matches while you're in any mode. Throw in a big story mode as well.

Both for $40. SSF4 is doing DLC costumes (on the disc), BB: CS is doing DLC characters (not on the disc).

Not seeing the problem here.

Dreavus

In many cases, I am confident that most character designs will grow on me after a time. This happened with some of BB's cast to begin with (Ragna, Litchi; for example). I start off with initial dislike, and then moved towards acceptance and even appreciation. I guess I get "used" to them, if you will.

I can't see this happening with Platina. Even within the confines of the BB "universe", which is in general batshit crazy, she is a god damned train wreck of a character. I really hope she plays well/interesting so I can at least give her that, because everything else is a disaster in my eyes. =(

Ferrio

Banned
Dreavus said:
In many cases, I am confident that most character designs will grow on me after a time. This happened with some of BB's cast to begin with (Ragna, Litchi; for example). I start off with initial dislike, and then moved towards acceptance and even appreciation. I guess I get "used" to them, if you will.

I can't see this happening with Platina. Even within the confines of the BB "universe", which is in general batshit crazy, she is a god damned train wreck of a character. I really hope she plays well/interesting so I can at least give her that, because everything else is a disaster in my eyes. =(

She's schizo, that is enough for me. Maybe goes BB Hood on people?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dreavus said:

I think Makoto looks fine in the actual sprites in the screens of her, I'm atleast waiting to see Platina ingame. But yeah, her art looks like it's from a different game, haha.

Holy shit thats a lot of new chars.
Now it's a definite purchase.
Not sure about buying more chars though... definitely want... just not sure its... right?

Papercuts

Wow, someone even got rips of Makoto, Platinum, and Valkenhayn's themes. Not sure if I can post it so I'll just wait for someone to youtube it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Papercuts said:
Wow, someone even got rips of Makoto, Platinum, and Valkenhayn's themes. Not sure if I can post it so I'll just wait for someone to youtube it.
its times like this that 4chan really pays back your investment.

edit: oh man, plats theme. <3

Papercuts

Poor Valk. D:

I love how it starts, but then it gets pretty generic. I am a sinner and should be ashmaed.

I like it a lot more after a few listens. Makoto > Valkenhayne > Platinum themewise for me.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
OMG I <3 Maks song it feels like some fucking shump stage song :lol

Valk's is freaking awesome too :D

Plats theme is having me loling of course panda would like it :lol

I don't care I'm paying them fucking 10 bucks if I have too for each character I want to support them I looooooove daisuke's music so damn much and these games are pretty the only way we get to hear it T.T

luka

Loves Robotech S1
viewtiful_dru said:
for whatever reason platinum in katakana = platina

don't believe me? look at the japanese box art for pokemon platinum

Yeah, that was just me being stupid. I studied Japanese for 3 years and still didn't realize. :lol

Also holy shit character themes!

Plat theme sounds awesome for some reason i really like it .
I say Plat \ Mak \ Valk

Edit now i know why i like Plat theme so much sound like something out of Japanese fan made shump .

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
-PXG- said:
Well, if that is the case, then (from a pure logical standpoint) I don't have a problem with that. But why not just delay the game and make it cost $60? Whether they charge $7 for each or release them in retail (at a total of $60) makes no difference. The only thing they risk by doing that are people losing interest, or possibly, releasing BBCS at the same time the competition is releasing their games.

One reason , delay the game until Oct/Nov- you run into a buzzsaw. Blazblue is not a mainstream title. Fighting games that are not SF tend to have an uphill battle when it comes to sales. (BBCT did well beyond expectations- the anime fan crowd took to it huge)

That said, I think the chars should be priced at $5. I'll get regardless though.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
So loli gets a theme and not Mu?

I will not stand for this injustice.

Top Bottom