• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

Fugu said:
Let me tell you something about Vice-Taicho.

For the past two years, Toronto's BB scene has gone up to Montreal to play against their scene. You know what happens literally every time? Vice-Taicho cleans house, that's what happens. And it's the worst because he's a super nice guy and he's really helpful and he's a great sport, so you can't even hate him. He's just ridiculously talented and very dedicated. I've never seen him lose a set offline. Ever. A round? Sure; anyone can take rounds. I can take rounds. A match? Sometimes. But he's never been acquainted with the loser's bracket.

But he hates online play and playing him online doesn't get you the full experience. He's amazing. He is probably the best player in Canada and easily one of the best in North America.
Is he going to Evo? Has he been to SBO? I'd love to see his play.

Fugu

MATVIII (the tournament I was talking about) is an evo season tournament that he played in. I don't know if he's planning on going to EVO this year; I doubt it though as he almost didn't enter MATVIII because of the $25 venue fee.

Here's a video of him... winning. Keep in mind that we'd had CS2 for less than a month at this point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xut8_xZTp8

This video is really terrible but it should give you the idea.

BB is dead, even CS2 couldn't save it.

Fugu said:
Full of shit? If you get CH'd by daisharin outside of the corner then you made a mistake; the fact is that while daisharin is very strong in the corner, it's NOT midscreen and there's a lot you can do to deal with it.

It sounds like you tried to beat out a midscreen zoning daisharin that was baiting you. The fact is, if this happened, it means that whomever is playing the Litchi either won by dumb luck (unlikely) or knew in advance that you would try and make an attack (likely). If you got hit by a three-input daisharin (usually 744 or 966)then you were baited. If you got hit by a full-input daisharin with either alternating 7 9 inputs or all 7s or all 9s (in or near the corner), then you were baited. If you got hit by any daisharin involving solid 2 inputs or alternating 1 or 3 inputs, you were baited. If you got hit by the falling staff, then you weren't paying attention. Don't think that just because you see a forward diagonal input that you can instantly crawl under it. You are essentially complaining that you were mixed up by an option that costs 50% heat and costs Litchi the staff. It's especially ridiculous considering the reward for a midscreen daisharin hit is tiny unless they predicted the exact hit that you would slip up on.

If you think it's full of shit, let me know what you think Litchi's corner pressure should consist of. Also consider the fact that you can barely combo into daisharin and you can't combo into the other two at all. You can also only combo out of daisharin meaningfully in the corner and combos off of kokushi look like air-to-air bnbs. Litchi has some of the game's most situational supers and it's not like some houtenjin shit where you can just whip it out to quadruple your damage potential. Litchi's supers are good at what they do because you have to force a situation that allows them to come up. If people didn't neutral/down tech shit, kokushi would be entirely worthless. If people didn't get knocked down in the corner with the staff in the right place/on Litchi then daisharin would be very limited.
This post I don't even

We both got counter hit at the same time. We're both on opposite ends of the screen. He recovered, after getting counter hit, and ran across the screen and finished the combo from the super. Full. Of. Shit.

I don't care that I got hit. I get hit by stupid stuff all the time because I'm ass at this game. I care that I got comboed in a bullshit situation.

Fugu

Master Milk said:
BB is dead, even CS2 couldn't save it.

This post I don't even

We both got counter hit at the same time. We're both on opposite ends of the screen. He recovered, after getting counter hit, and ran across the screen and finished the combo from the super. Full. Of. Shit.

I don't care that I got hit. I get hit by stupid stuff all the time because I'm ass at this game. I care that I got comboed in a bullshit situation.
If you are on opposite ends of the screen, how did Daisharin CH you? It starts right in front of Litchi. If you were on opposite ends of the screen, you got hit by the second or maybe even third movement of the staff, meaning you had been predicted long before the move even started. That's the real problem.

Also, you usually can't combo big off of Daisharin -- CH or not -- unless you're in the corner or it's set up very specifically. Seriously, I can't believe that you're bitching about midscreen Daisharin of all things. Try and use it yourself and see how hard it is to justify the 50% heat that it requires.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
According to the Famitsu scan from this week, Relius Clover is a new playable character :) (Translation courtesy of Suzaku)

- Says he'll play the same way Carl does. His gameplay will be similar to Carl's, as he will
fight by controlling his battle puppet, Ignis.
- Apparently says he's going to be added to the arcade version.
- Loke test scheduled for August at Akihabara Hey!.
- Says there are supposedly plans for distributing him to the console versions via DLC.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Akselziys said:
According to the Famitsu scan from this week, Relius Clover is a new playable character :) (Translation courtesy of Suzaku)

- Says he'll play the same way Carl does. His gameplay will be similar to Carl's, as he will
fight by controlling his battle puppet, Ignis.
- Apparently says he's going to be added to the arcade version.
- Loke test scheduled for August at Akihabara Hey!.
- Says there are supposedly plans for distributing him to the console versions via DLC.
woah.gif

Relius Clover? Carl's dad? Ugh. Give me Kokonoe or go away. Actually, I'd be fine with this is they just got rid of Carl. Carl sucks.

I guess we can expect the DLC of him in 11 or 12 months? Not that matters, BB being dead and all. -_-

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Master Milk said:
Relius Clover? Carl's dad? Ugh. Give me Kokonoe or go away. Actually, I'd be fine with this is they just got rid of Carl. Carl sucks.

I guess we can expect the DLC of him in 11 or 12 months? Not that matters, BB being dead and all. -_-
BB is dead? Me and Proto still play. Actually I only play when proto ask cause I got like 50 million things to do. If people ask I'll gladly turn my ps3 on and pop it in.

QisTopTier said:
BB is dead? Me and Proto still play. Actually I only play when proto ask cause I got like 50 million things to do. If people ask I'll gladly turn my ps3 on and pop it in.
Yes, two people playing is dead. Needs at least five to be considered alive.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Master Milk said:
5 shitty players or 3 people that know what they are doing. (me proto fugu) Numbers dont really matter. *more than these people play lol*

remz

relius has the be the most snooze worthy character announcement, I don't even like Carl at all and I can't imagine him playing much better.

remz said:
relius has the be the most snooze worthy character announcement, I don't even like Carl at all and I can't imagine him playing much better.

Well... Here's hoping that relius has at least a bigger hitbox.

To be honest, he's sounding like a Carl clone at the moment so I'm curious how they'll make him different.

danmaku

Prototype-03 said:
Well... Here's hoping that relius has at least a bigger hitbox.

To be honest, he's sounding like a Carl clone at the moment so I'm curious how they'll make him different.

Well, even Robo-Ky looks like a Ky clone but it's not. I hope they'll be able to give him a unique twist.

Korigama

remz said:

Couldn't agree more with this. Can't say I'm really interested in anyone we already know about in the plot becoming playable other than Kokonoe, either.

alstein

Master Milk said:

I wonder if Arcana is splitting the community. I'm enjoying Arcana more personally right now, despite having a hard time at it.

Fugu

alstein said:
I wonder if Arcana is splitting the community. I'm enjoying Arcana more personally right now, despite having a hard time at it.
Locally, it's Guilty Gear doing most of the splitting.

meh I can't really understand how comes that so many ppl are jumping on and off the mvc3 and sf4 iteration bandwagon, but we barely get new blood on bb....
I find bb a better combo-feast alternative to mvc3 from any possible point of view :/

Fugu

It's easier to switch between MvC3 and SF4 than it is either of those two and BB. A lot of people switch between AH3, MB, BB and GG pretty easily.

Fugu

Any of you folks watching the EVO stream?

I'm starting to get the impression that the recent tend of BlazBlue losing steam is not limited to Toronto. Things were not looking so great.

Fugu said:

I'm starting to get the impression that the recent tend of BlazBlue losing steam is not limited to Toronto. Things were not looking so great.
So this will be free money for Tokido like usual BB majors in America?

Fugu said:

Yesterday's stream was a snoozefest. I even saw MikeZ give up in the middle of the match. I lost interest after that. Today's top 8 is a different story.

xero273

Prototype-03 said:
Yesterday's stream was a snoozefest. I even saw MikeZ give up in the middle of the match. I lost interest after that. Today's top 8 is a different story.

lol poor MikeZ.

anyways America not so free. Spark > all

The BB finals got me really hyped to play this game again. However, remembering that pretty much every connection I get is either 0 or 1, 2s are rare, 3s and 4s are a miracle, and 5s are a thing of legend that I've never seen with my eyes kinda takes that hype away -__-

Anyways, how many XBL players here are left if any?

Wow, really surprising to see Tokido not win, but great matches all around.

And the only Platinum I saw was James Xie's once. I think he lost, too. Bah.

Also, I'm PSN exclusive.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The odds of something else being as hype as spark this evo is pretty low. Only thing I can see being as awesome is some good Poongko ownage.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Fugu said:
EDIT: Wow, LK got destroyed.
Yeah, he fell into the trap most litchi players end up falling for of getting comfy and trying to auto pilot a bit. Sparks defense was way to good for that and he started reading him like a book. Sparks is prob the best player we have right now by far. Good solid and doesn't just do random stupid stuff, but always mixing it up and not falling into a rhythm. It was a blast to watch him tear through finals.

Fugu

QisTopTier said:
Yeah, he fell into the trap most litchi players end up falling for of getting comfy and trying to auto pilot a bit. Sparks defense was way to good for that and he started reading him like a book. Sparks is prob the best player we have right now by far. Good solid and doesn't just do random stupid stuff, but always mixing it up and not falling into a rhythm. It was a blast to watch him tear through finals.
It's not so much that he autopiloted, it's that he didn't know what his opponent was susceptible to (see the failed Riichi A > Ippatsu C setups and later 4D success). He ultimately wasn't being creative enough to get an advantage on the offense and that made his great spacing and seriously amazing hitconfirms sort of irrelevant. LK is fairly consistently one of the players least prone to autopilot (consult his play history or his giant thread on Dustloop for more info); I think he just got nervous.

For the record, I think that LK is the best player in North America. Two bad sets do not nullify a legacy.

Fugu said:
It's not so much that he autopiloted, it's that he didn't know what his opponent was susceptible to (see the failed Riichi A > Ippatsu C setups and later 4D success). He ultimately wasn't being creative enough to get an advantage on the offense and that made his great spacing and seriously amazing hitconfirms sort of irrelevant. LK is fairly consistently one of the players least prone to autopilot (consult his play history or his giant thread on Dustloop for more info); I think he just got nervous.

For the record, I think that LK is the best player in North America. Two bad sets do not nullify a legacy.

I felt bad for anyone going against Spark. The guy was a mind reader. He doesn't do reversals often but when he did, he made them count. I think I only saw ONE bad counter. He also blocked like his life depended on it. LK was getting hella annoyed. His eyes basically said "I can't do anything!"

Fugu

Prototype-03 said:
I felt bad for anyone going against Spark. The guy was a mind reader. He doesn't do reversals often but when he did, he made them count. I think I only saw ONE bad counter. He also blocked like his life depended on it. LK was getting hella annoyed. His eyes basically said "I can't do anything!"
Honestly I think a man with defense that solid is just built for tournament play, much in the same way that GMMA_Jan is. It's difficult to read a strong defensive player like that and quite frankly I don't think American players are used to players with good defense ("purple grabs/overheads are invisible"). I don't know that it necessarily makes him the better player overall -- I think the results of a FT10 or other equally large number would be different -- but he certainly made an argument for his tournament viability there.

I was mostly just happy to see Tokido lose if only because it's sort of a legitimization of the American Blazblue community, sort of a "we are no longer bad enough to lose to people who don't play this game". The thing is, it's notably less legitimate than "we didn't come in last place at SBO again", and I've a feeling we're quite a ways away from getting over that hurdle. This is especially true considering there's not much I've seen Spark do that other Japanese players don't do other than play Hakumen. And honestly I don't think we ever will be at the level required to perform at SBO because talent only takes you so far if you don't have the community to back it up.

_dementia said:
Dat Hackerman. I totally expected Tokido to breeze his way to 1st place, but this was more interesting.

I have to admit, I'm not use to seeing a defense/counter heavy approach wining tourneys. His play choice definitely showcased excellent knowledge of the game, characters, and situational reactions at it's best.

Urban Scholar said:
I have to admit, I'm not use to seeing a defense/counter heavy approach wining tourneys. His play choice definitely showcased excellent knowledge of the game, characters, and situational reactions at it's best.

Yeah, it was VERY impressive. I think I remember the commentators that he also went to losers very early in the tournament so he grinded his way through.

Also had people who never played the game want to play it in the chat. THAT never happened in BB before.

Chavelo

For some reason, I decided to check out the finals stream early in the morning, and I saw that it was barely going to start with BlazBlue. As a SF/Marvel purist, I just kinda shrugged and left the stream on the background while playing TF2.

Then the hype of the crowd got my attention, and switched back to the stream. After a few minutes, I decided to not watch the Tekken finals (which I heard were pretty fun) and decided to get this game.

Consider me hooked. :D

Chavelo said:
For some reason, I decided to check out the finals stream early in the morning, and I saw that it was barely going to start with BlazBlue. As a SF/Marvel purist, I just kinda shrugged and left the stream on the background while playing TF2.

Then the hype of the crowd got my attention, and switched back to the stream. After a few minutes, I decided to not watch the Tekken finals (which I heard were pretty fun) and decided to get this game.

Consider me hooked. :D

Welcome aboard!

Fugu said:
I think the results of a FT10 or other equally large number would be different -- but he certainly made an argument for his tournament viability there.

I don't know. Spark is already up 6-0. Those were best of 5 and Spark came out of losers bracket.

alstein

Prototype-03 said:
Yeah, it was VERY impressive. I think I remember the commentators that he also went to losers very early in the tournament so he grinded his way through.

Also had people who never played the game want to play it in the chat. THAT never happened in BB before.

was it a Lambda that put him into losers? To me, that's why Hakumen has competitive problems- a couple of chars who are semi-popular are really bad matchups for him.

Top Bottom