• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
_dementia said:
Is Relius really the only new character? It wouldn't be a BB revision without a new genetic clone of Noel
Saya? she's gonna be the last boss of part 3 duh. Relius is just making it in cause he was doing shit in the story. But you couldnt use him.

Taokaka:

6B - Now fatal counters
6C - Slightly increased startup speed
jD - Ground untechable time decreased (TL may actually be faster recovery for Tao?), now wall bounces on counter hit.

back to S tier you go tao

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Master Milk said:
The next new characters will probably, hopefully, be someone out of Jubei, Torakaka, and Kokonoe.
kokonoe did no fighting in bbcs she will most likely be in 3. jubei and taos sister have a higher chance. Wouldnt be shocked if jubei was held off for 3 too, as he didnt do much in cs besides mentor. The game is story driven, even if most people ignore the fact the game does have one.

Ah, that's right, they love to follow the story for this . . . Well, as long as we get someone else from those three I'll be happy no matter who it is. Relius does absolutely nothing for me.

The next new characters will probably, hopefully, be someone out of Jubei, Torakaka, and Kokonoe.
Phantom IMO, or Nine resurrected.

Saya? she's gonna be the last boss of part 3 duh. Relius is just making it in cause he was doing shit in the story. But you couldnt use him.
Or maybe of part 4.

QisTopTier said:
they said part 3 will be the final. they kept their word about everything so far
When? I've always heard it as they wanted to finish in three, but had so much stuff they only felt halfway done. Like Kars, I'm expecting at least 4 of these.

Phantom is that shadow thing that rolls with Hazama, right? Who, or what, is Nine?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Master Milk said:
When? I've always heard it as they wanted to finish in three, but had so much stuff they only felt halfway done. Like Kars, I'm expecting at least 4 of these.

Phantom is that shadow thing that rolls with Hazama, right? Who, or what, is Nine?
Nine is phantom, who is jubei's wife/kokonoe's mom. Play story :(

QisTopTier said:

Taokaka:

6B - Now fatal counters
jD - Ground untechable time decreased (TL may actually be faster recovery for Tao?), now wall bounces on counter hit.

on the other hand, Tsubaki's 6A FATALS TOO!!! :(

Also, yay on bb thread being resurrected (for now)

LProtag

Query: I'm about to pick up a copy of this game. Is this new version a patch or coming out as a stand-alone release? You never know with fighting games nowadays, haha.

InsertNameHere said:
Query: I'm about to pick up a copy of this game. Is this new version a patch or coming out as a stand-alone release? You never know with fighting games nowadays, haha.
It should be a stand alone release on Vita. No idea whether the console CS will receive this as a patch like it did with CS2.

LProtag

_dementia said:
It should be a stand alone release on Vita. No idea whether the console CS will receive this as a patch like it did with CS2.

Ohh, this is the Vita version then? Oh well, I'm getting a decent enough deal that it's no problem if this game comes out as a stand-alone later.

Hell, I'm picking up MvC3 even though the next version is coming out in only a few months, haha.

Fugu

Who in god's name translated this? Why is "mantenbou hassha" included with no explanation when no one has ever referred to Litchi's staff release as that in the history of English BB play? It's not a direct translation of the original Japanese either (I checked) so I'm confused.

My theory with their removal of the jBCB loop (and the buff to the staff release) is they expect people to get a lot more carry off of hitting with the staff. I'm cool with this and even accept the bizarre change to chuun if that's their plan, but if they're just going to remove Litchi's corner carry entirely without giving something back then I've got to wonder what their plan for Litchi is. Also Itsuu C being positive on block seems a little unusual to me although I guess that'll at least get people to use it (A and B being quite popular already). I speculate that their objective is to make it so that she gets more carry starting with the staff than without, but we'll have to see. They haven't fucked her up yet and I'll keep playing her even if they do so bring on the changes.

I cannot fucking believe that they buffed Arakune and gave Taokaka's j.D CH wallbounce, though.

EDIT: They turned Noel into Hazama?

EDIT 2: Can someone explain to me what the meaning of the comparison to the spinning blowback on Rachel's old 5CC means? I know what that move is but I don't understand how that's "spinning blowback" or how that's applicable to Chuun (236C).

Wolf form B - Removed head attribute invincibility
PATCH VINDICATED, FUCK ALL OTHER CHANGES, THIS IS IT FOLKS

ApolloJoh

Fugu said:
Who in god's name translated this? Why is "mantenbou hassha" included with no explanation when no one has ever referred to Litchi's staff release as that in the history of English BB play? It's not a direct translation of the original Japanese either (I checked) so I'm confused.

Okay, so I wasn't going crazy lol.

Fugu

ApolloJoh said:
Okay, so I wasn't going crazy lol.
満天棒発射 (Mantenbou hassha) is literally "staff shoot/release" but is not included in the original Japanese BBS post that I'm assuming they sourced this information from; the original is 満天棒飛ばし which is a more direct "flying staff" although no one has ever referred to it as "mantenbou tobashi" in English either, so whatever. Given the original translation I am fairly certain that the move refers to an increase in hitstun on staff2 hits; the dustloop translation contains more ambiguity (it sounds more like j.D[m] and staff2 to me) so that might be what it's referring to. I am no Japanese pro, however, so I don't have the context to make the judgement call.

Fugu

Prototype-03 said:
If they take that away, I'm going to ask for the old 2C back!
Oh yes how unfortunate it would be if Valkenhyn had to anti-air with some discretion like every other character. :p

I want to play tonight, I'm a little sad I missed yesterday's lobby.

Fugu said:
Oh yes how unfortunate it would be if Valkenhyn had to anti-air with some discretion like every other character. :p

I want to play tonight, I'm a little sad I missed yesterday's lobby.

pfft, he also lost his natural overhead. EASY DAMAGE AND HIT CONFIRMS, WHERE DID YOU GO?? D:

I thought you and Master Milk were already playing so I asked in the chat but he (MM) told me that you were away. OH WELL MORE FUN FOR US!

I was so tired by the end of the night and was still wanting to play. I am paying for it now at work.

Prototype-03 said:
I thought you and Master Milk were already playing so I asked in the chat but he (MM) told me that you were away. OH WELL MORE FUN FOR US!

I was so tired by the end of the night and was still wanting to play. I am paying for it now at work.
I don't know what timezones you guys are in, but it was 2 AM for me when I left.

So, I got a double down just now while up one round playing ranked. Instead of both of us getting a win, only the other guy did . . . Okay, I think I remember reading something about that before. Not a huuuuuge deal, I guess. Start the next round, and oh look, I didn't get a burst for losing the round. What? So wait, not only do I not get a win, but I don't get a lose either? Wow, the game says draws are unacceptable. Ridiculous.

Fugu

Master Milk said:
I don't know what timezones you guys are in, but it was 2 AM for me when I left.

So, I got a double down just now while up one round playing ranked. Instead of both of us getting a win, only the other guy did . . . Okay, I think I remember reading something about that before. Not a huuuuuge deal, I guess. Start the next round, and oh look, I didn't get a burst for losing the round. What? So wait, not only do I not get a win, but I don't get a lose either? Wow, the game says draws are unacceptable. Ridiculous.
Draws count as a win for both players if the set is even and a win for the disadvantaged player if it's not. So in a FT3 a draw turns 0-0 into 1-1 and 1-0 into 1-1; a draw on 1-1 does nothing. In a FT5 the same rules apply except it can also turn a 1-1 into a 2-2, a 2-0 into 2-1, and a 2-1 into 2-2; again, 2-2 remains 2-2 in a draw.

I don't know why it doesn't free up your second burst. It doesn't make sense to me because it makes a draw more disadvantageous than a loss.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
FindMyFarms said:
Ok, i just picked up Continuum Shift. Don't have the DLC characters yet, who should I use?? I want someone solid with a good mixup
Well that's like 1/3rd of the cast right now, some more specifics would be nice. buuuut

Makoto/Noel/Carl/Rachel/Bang/Taokaka/platinum are all mixed up based in different ways

LProtag

FindMyFarms said:
Ok, i just picked up Continuum Shift. Don't have the DLC characters yet, who should I use?? I want someone solid with a good mixup

QisTopTier said:
Well that's like 1/3rd of the cast right now, some more specifics would be nice. buuuut

Makoto/Noel/Carl/Rachel/Bang/Taokaka/platinum are all mixed up based in different ways

I too have some questions about picking characters. Are there any charts of what characters are good at, or perhaps Street Fighter equivalents?

InsertNameHere said:
I too have some questions about picking characters. Are there any charts of what characters are good at, or perhaps Street Fighter equivalents?

Ragna is the one that makes the most sense coming from SF, BUT, I would not recommend picking up a character based on that. Just watch some videos, or go some challenge modes at least with all the characters and see which one seems to fit you/like the best. Some characters are REALLY hard to pick up (Carl comes to mind), but if you like him, stick to him. This isn't like SF4 where if you know the basics, you can do okay with all the characters.

QisTopTier said:

Someone with really good normals to control space, with up close options that lead to nasty stuff so that when I get in I can kill you really fast (I played cammy remember.) Also i no have dlc!

LProtag

Prototype-03 said:
Ragna is the one that makes the most sense coming from SF, BUT, I would not recommend picking up a character based on that. Just watch some videos, or go some challenge modes at least with all the characters and see which one seems to fit you/like the best. Some characters are REALLY hard to pick up (Carl comes to mind), but if you like him, stick to him. This isn't like SF4 where if you know the basics, you can do okay with all the characters.

Ah. I was leaning towards Jin just because I saw a few videos with him and he looked cool, haha. I guess I'll just play around and see what happens.

FindMyFarms said:
Someone with really good normals to control space, with up close options that lead to nasty stuff so that when I get in I can kill you really fast (I played cammy remember.) Also i no have dlc!

Tsubaki/Valkenhayn

Fugu

FindMyFarms said:
Try Taokaka.

EDIT: I'm going to take my own advice...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I second Tao, But she's the hardest character to learn tied with Carl just cause her inputs are PRECISE as fuck. Imagine doing about 50 plus viper cancels a round. But she's pretty much what you are asking for. Tsubaki is good in that regard too, but she's quite a bit more predictable.

InsertNameHere said:
Ah. I was leaning towards Jin just because I saw a few videos with him and he looked cool, haha. I guess I'll just play around and see what happens.

Seriously with this game, use who matches your playstyle the most. Once you pick the character that clicks for you *even if you dont really like the "character"* the game becomes about 50 times more fun. It's also why I changed characters every version. Sometimes the general characters playstyle gets changed up and well due to changes to another character that character starts to click for you.
For example,
In BBCT I used Bang, CS bang is nothing like CT Bang
In BBCS I used Makoto, CS2 makoto is honestly nothing like CS Mak
Now I'm using Mu-12 and the game is as fun as ever.

Fugu

QisTopTier said:
I second Tao, But she's the hardest character to learn tied with Carl just cause her inputs are PRECISE as fuck. Imagine doing about 50 plus viper cancels a round. But she's pretty much what you are asking for. Tsubaki is good in that regard too, but she's quite a bit more predictable.
I know Tao's BnBs and I know Litchi's BnBs, and Litchi's are a lot more difficult for me. Tao is faster but more straightforward.

Prototype-03 said:
LOL. You could also go back to Arakune.
Huh? I've literally never played as Arakune.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Fugu said:
I know Tao's BnBs and I know Litchi's BnBs, and Litchi's are a lot more difficult for me. Tao is faster but more straightforward.
Not talking about just the combos. Tao is one of the least straight forward characters in the game if you are playing her right.

Fugu

QisTopTier said:
Not talking about just the combos. Tao is one of the least straight forward characters in the game if you are playing her right.
Oh I know, I meant purely execution-wise. Her inputs are all obvious and the lack of empty inputs make her a lot more manageable than Carl and Litchi execution-wise, who have to control things that aren't them.

It's ultimately subjective because Tao does a lot more work at neutral than most other characters do in terms of inputs (moreso than everyone except Carl) but I personally think her combos are not difficult enough to warrant her being called more difficult execution wise than either Carl or Litchi.

notworksafe

QisTopTier said:
Taokaka:

6B - Now fatal counters

Hm...maybe I'll pick up this game now. :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Fugu said:
Oh I know, I meant purely execution-wise. Her inputs are all obvious and the lack of empty inputs make her a lot more manageable than Carl and Litchi execution-wise, who have to control things that aren't them.

It's ultimately subjective because Tao does a lot more work at neutral than most other characters do in terms of inputs (moreso than everyone except Carl) but I personally think her combos are not difficult enough to warrant her being called more difficult execution wise than either Carl or Litchi.
I'll just go with the retarded argument that there is a reason tao is one of the least played characters about the same as carl if not less. You master her you rape HARD, but until you can learn how to control every aspect of her movement all her cancels which cancel to do at what time for what types of mix ups, she sucks. She's literally the caterpillar and butterfly of the game for a lame ass metaphor.

Carl might have some hand twist to his controls at first, same for a few of litchi's things, but for the most part their attack patterns are almost always the same. Tao doesn't have that limitation. She's pretty much 100% random wtf is she going to do until of course one of her hits off. But everyone in the cast is the same once a hit gets off *do your bnb's or what not*

The reason carl stays so hard is cause he has shit hit ranges and life. So untill you learn to controll the puppet you are just gonna die. But trust me, as long as you got the mind set right carl isn't as hard to pick up as some would say. I would love to play him if I could play on a stick. *my hand is busted*

notworksafe said:
Hm...maybe I'll pick up this game now. :p
Tao has always been really really good, she's just underplayed.

Fugu

Where I live, Taokaka is pretty popular. Toronto just loves cats. Carl, Litchi and Makoto are easily the unpopular characters here.

I agree that there's a lot of depth to her drive cancelling game but I think that the open-ended gatlings and medium-difficulty combos do a lot for the prospective Tao player. If it weren't for the fact that she is basically limitless on the offensive I think she'd be easily the hardest character in the game, but she has a lot of freedom and can therefore get away with a lot. I don't have enough experience to speak definitively but I'm going based on the guys I know who play Taokaka. It is not much of a struggle to make Taokaka's pressure viable, and that's a big deal (compared to, say, Ragna).

Also, as far as I know Litchi is the only character with two movesets, so I'm not sure what you mean by the "attack patterns are always the same" comment.

There are some players around that play Carl on the pad using the triggers; have you tried that?

notworksafe

Prototype-03 said:
Tao was always good in this game. Just hard as hell to use.
Yeah I know but her HP loss and other changes in CS annoyed me enough to not buy it. :p I just never liked any other character as much as her. I was interested in Rachel, but not interested enough to make a purchase.

It being on discount now and Tao buffs are looking like they'll be enough to change my mind though.

Top Bottom