• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] PlayStation 5 Pro Hands-On: 11 Games Tested, PSSR and RT Upgrades Revealed, Developers Interviewed!

Zathalus

For BG3 those launch comparisons are pretty obsolete as the game got significant performance patches since launch. For the PC CPU performance they had an update here:

For consoles here:

3600 goes up to the low 40s, PS5 went from the low 20s to the low-mid 30s. Basically Act 3 is still killer on the CPU, albeit not as much as before. I’m not sure how the Pro can take 32fps all the way up to a locked 60, as the game is certainly not GPU limited. Even using the 10% faster CPU and lowering the internal resolution to 720p via PSSR that’s not going to increase your CPU performance by 90%. Maybe if another impactful performance patch roles out.

The only PS5 games I’m aware of that have issues with CPU performance is BG3, DD2, and Space Marine 2. Talking about stuff people care about, not shit like Gotham Knights. For upcoming releases maybe MH Wilds and KC Deliverance, but that’s an unknown. So it’s a tiny amount of games and certainly not indicative of the PS5 library as a whole.

Bojji

Imagine using a benchmarks video that doesn't actually talk about what is bottlenecking a CPU and telling someone else that they dont know how CPU bottlenecks work. The actual workload is what determines what causes CPU bottlenecks, the CPU can bottleneck from a variety of things ranging from cache misses, a lack of compute throughput, idle time waiting for other processes to complete, branch prediction misses...etc. Waiting for I/o is a huge reason for CPU bottlenecking which is why the 5800x3d is ~20% faster than the 5800x in games despite clocking lower. And as I said when optimizing for fixed spec hardware it's possible to mask I/o latency since you can profile your program and hit the problem spots easily.

It doesn't fucking matter what is causing CPU bottleneck in the first place. There are only two things you can do if you play game that has big CPU bottleneck:

1. Change your CPU for something better

2. Wait for developers to optimize the game

On consoles you can't do option 1 so only waiting is possible. Many games are abandoned by devs and don't receive patches after some time.

Most console games aren't CPU bottlenecked under 60fps but few are and BG3 is one of them.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Here is BG3. Max settings and 1080p and max settings 720p in Lower City in Act 3. It's 100% CPU limited there. RTX 4090+i9 13900K+32GB DDR5 6000MHz.

3LQ4K6d.png

ZMju370.png

Absolutely no difference in performance whatsoever. Resolution has no impact on CPU unless there are specific aspects of the rendering tied to it as winjer winjer mentioned. I still don't understand how PSSR will alleviate CPU bottlenecks, but I guess we'll have to wait and see if PaintTinJr PaintTinJr is onto something or not.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Nahh he feels he wants to let his immune system do the heavy lifting and no matter my beliefs I always let him make his own decisions.
You raised a smart man, should be proud of him. End OT.

this is bojji thread. you shall ask permission to post before you get hit wit the shits. aint no ps5 pro preview things
It's absolutely ridiculous at this point..

Dead Rising remaster
GYnNYCHWoAEyGyp
Kevin Hart Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Not bad at all.

Kangx

Watching TGS video on youtube.
That japanese pro baseball game by konami is 1080p 60fps which is a suprise. It look pretty good but quite a bit soft compare to most sport games.

Are they using their own engine or UE5? My guess is UE5 here because sport games are not that demanding and mostly dynamic close to 4k and Metal Gear 3 uses UE5.

It's going to rough for the base consoles moving forward. Most games with modern engines especially with RTGI will cripple the performance and res. We have already seen wukong, space marine, DD2 and both star wars games done to the base consoles. They will stuck with poor image quality and unstable frame rates unless a miracle happen FSR.

Maybe it is a coincidence or sony already knew and plan this with the Pro. The Pro designed to solve these issues. For cpu bound games which I can count on 1 handfull, we just need to live with it.

Kangx

For BG3 those launch comparisons are pretty obsolete as the game got significant performance patches since launch. For the PC CPU performance they had an update here:

For consoles here:

3600 goes up to the low 40s, PS5 went from the low 20s to the low-mid 30s. Basically Act 3 is still killer on the CPU, albeit not as much as before. I’m not sure how the Pro can take 32fps all the way up to a locked 60, as the game is certainly not GPU limited. Even using the 10% faster CPU and lowering the internal resolution to 720p via PSSR that’s not going to increase your CPU performance by 90%. Maybe if another impactful performance patch roles out.

The only PS5 games I’m aware of that have issues with CPU performance is BG3, DD2, and Space Marine 2. Talking about stuff people care about, not shit like Gotham Knights. For upcoming releases maybe MH Wilds and KC Deliverance, but that’s an unknown. So it’s a tiny amount of games and certainly not indicative of the PS5 library as a whole.

Space marine is a weird case? Usually a cpu bound scenario both machine perform the same or its a bit better On the ps5 like DD2.

On space marine it could be related to other aspect beside the cpu cuz the gap is unusually large. Alex has also raised this question in the review.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
The differences are actually quite big.
Well, the game already runs at native 4K/60fps with drops to 53 at worst on the regular PS5, makes sense they would push RT.

What’s more interesting to me is how, even with such insanely low-res pictures, RT reflections appear to be noticeably higher quality than the usual RE Engine RT reflections I’ve seen in other games, on any platform/settings. Maybe Capcom finally felt compelled to bother upgrading their implementation?

XOsq6lr.gif

7I04mzY.gif

This bodes really well for RE games Pro support.

In GIF format it’s almost entirely lost, but trees in the second comparison appear to be reflected with their entire detail preserved, a far cry from your usual RE RT water reflections.

SKYF@ll

Well, the game already runs at native 4K/60fps with drops to 53 at worst on the regular PS5, makes sense they would push RT.

What’s more interesting to me is how, even with such insanely low-res pictures, RT reflections appear to be noticeably higher quality than the usual RE Engine RT reflections I’ve seen in other games, on any platform/settings. Maybe Capcom finally felt compelled to bother upgrading their implementation?

XOsq6lr.gif
Finally, third parties have caught up with Sony.
Here are some RT images of the glass from the PS5 version of Spider-Man 2. (Fidelity Mode 40fps)
KHHbdCk.jpg
926nM3d.jpg

Kangx

XOsq6lr.gif

7I04mzY.gif

This bodes really well for RE games Pro support.

In GIF format it’s almost entirely lost, but trees in the second comparison appear to be reflected with their entire detail preserved, a far cry from your usual RE RT water reflections.
RTGI from their engine and RT reflection? They didn't implement RTGI since DD2 already has it?

JaksGhost

I must be blind, they all look shit to me.
PS5:
4.jpg

PS5 Pro:
5.jpg

The other screenshot was from the stream so I can't find a higher quality version. Larger versions are on this site:

Last edited:

Codeblew

PS5:
4.jpg

PS5 Pro:
5.jpg

The other screenshot was from the stream so I can't find a higher quality version. Larger versions are on this site:
I guess the other one being blown up 4x made it look a lot worse in my eyes. I can see the difference now.

Vick

Gold Member
Oh wow, these are indeed by far the best RT Reflections I've seen in a RE Engine game.

5.jpg

wABioYR.gif

Pretty cool. Wish there was an higher quality version of the outdoor area comparison.

Last edited:
After reading through the thread, it seems to me that the old CPU is not a big deal for the PS5 Pro. The number of CPU limited games this gen (as far as hitting 60 fps goes) can be counted on one hand. If CPU was the be all end all, then there should have been no game that shipped with a 60 fps mode on XSX/PS5 that also did not have a 60 fps mode on XSS. Heck, Tom Warren expected the XSS to outperform the PS5 (in fps) due to higher clocked CPU. However, that never panned out and many 3rd parties simply skip 60 fps modes on XSS.

Also, the weird greedy Sony takes. The PS5 Pro is a new machine with GPU features that do not exist in any AMD GPU currently on market. It will not sell PS5 numbers, I will be shocked if it constitutes more than 5% of the PS5's install base at the end of the generation. Thus, the lack of economies of scale plays into the higher price. The disc drive and the stand are not free and they are accessories, buy them if you want, they are not essential in any way (to the majority of the customers if the numbers supplied by NPD and others are true). The biggest proof of Sony's greed is the base PS5 slim price, I believe that with the economies of scale that machine should have dropped to a regular price of 350 GBP, discounted to 300 GBP on sale.

I believe that with the economies of scale that machine should have dropped to a regular price of 350 GBP, discounted to 300 GBP on sale.
Genuine question. Do you have the BOM price + R&D, shipment and marketing costs ? Just curious what you are basing that statement on.

With previous gens, we had major die shrinks on the SoC which made it much cheaper / smaller / more power efficient. Doesn't appear to be the case now unfortunately.

Last edited:
Genuine question. Do you have the BOM price + R&D, shipment and marketing costs ? Just curious what you are basing that statement on.

With previous gens, we had major die shrinks on the SoC which made it much cheaper / smaller / more power efficient. Doesn't appear to be the case now unfortunately.
Yeah, this is just wishful thinking on my part, I do not have access to any of this cost. Neither do anybody on this thread claiming that Sony is greedy for pricing the Pro at 699$.

Det

Neo Member
So MS used RDNA2 that was developed by sony too?

And tell me, why didn't MS use it? Maybe RDNA2 had some secret, hidden, mysterious code inserted by Sony that would make the GPU catch fire, generate a last-minute overclock that would make the console catch fire, explode and set fire to the Xbox buyer's house?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Oh wow, these are indeed by far the best RT Reflections I've seen in a RE Engine game.

5.jpg

wABioYR.gif

Pretty cool. Wish there was an higher quality version of the outdoor area comparison.
Do they both use RT reflections or only the Pro does?

Vick

Gold Member
Aside from Pro there's no RT at all on any version of the game at the moment, on any platform.

PC uses SSR but they're the usual extremely unstable, broken RE Engine SSR. Apparently on Pro there's additional shadows as well:

It's kind of noticeable in the low-res outdoor comparison.

7I04mzY.gif

Last edited:

Luipadre

5.jpg

wABioYR.gif

Maybe its just the gif, but i see higher image quality too on the Pro image. Its sharper. That level of quality RT and 60 fps? Pro will be so good

Zathalus

So in the latest DF direct they tested patch 9 for DD2 on the base PS5. With RT on it is obviously GPU limited but with RT off it actually outperforms the Pro in the same city area. Throwing in the additional overhead the CPU is doing for RT calculations on the Pro and it’s pretty likely CPU performance is the exact same.

Esppiral

That's rich coming from a guy that thinks Dreamcast is still powerful 25 years later 🤣

Get over Sony killing your precious company, it has been 25 years 🤣
Wow I see you got triggered, I don't know what a homebrew port has to do with the hilarious improvements of the Ps5 pro, you even take your time to look for a comment of a completely unrelated topic, pathetic.

Another sonypony to that goes to the black list.

Esppiral

He's a treasure.

Clearly didn't have the same issue when the Xbox One X came out:

Almost 2000 days later, he's still waiting.
And another one to the list lol, Xbox one X was a massive improvement over the piece of crap the original Xbox one is, hey! But keep trying and looking for old posts, in the meanwhile I will platinum Astrobot 😘

Last edited:

Bojji

Just cube maps on normal PS5, at least that what it looks like.

Aside from Pro there's no RT at all on any version of the game at the moment, on any platform.

PC uses SSR but they're the usual extremely unstable, broken RE Engine SSR. Apparently on Pro there's additional shadows as well:

It's kind of noticeable in the low-res outdoor comparison.

7I04mzY.gif

Yeah, RT was shit quality so far in Capcom games (on every platform) so this is nice improvement.

And another one to the list lol, Xbox one X was a massive improvement over the piece of crap the original Xbox one is, hey! But keep trying and looking for old posts, in the meanwhile I will platinum Astrobot 😘

They save every post, they are part of NeoGaf Stasi Secret Service:

srecni-ljudi-doctor.gif

Last edited:

GHG

And another one to the list lol, Xbox one X was a massive improvement over the piece of crap the original Xbox on is , hey! But keep trying and looking for old posts in the meantime I will platinum Astrobot😘

And whose fault was it that the original Xbox One was so crap?

Penalising a company that has consistently put out good hardware while praising the company that fed you shit only to have to do a drastic course correction makes no sense at all.

At this rate you'll have nothing left but to talk to yourself, enjoy.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Wow I see you got triggered, I don't know what a homebrew port has to do with the hilarious improvements of the Ps5 pro, you even take your time to look for a comment of a completely unrelated topic, pathetic.

Another sonypony to that goes to the black list.
I’m not sure how anyone can watch the Digital Foundry video and not see the clear increases in visual fidelity across a host of games. Not all the games are that much of an upgrade as Sony 1st part generally has great image quality but F1, FF7, and now Dead Rising has obvious differences. Dragons Dogma 2 has a massive performance uplift when it comes to the GPU limited RT effects as well.

GHG

I’m not sure how anyone can watch the Digital Foundry video and not see the clear increases in visual fidelity across a host of games. Not all the games are that much of an upgrade as Sony 1st part generally has great image quality but F1, FF7, and now Dead Rising has obvious differences. Dragons Dogma 2 has a massive performance uplift when it comes to the GPU limited RT effects as well.

Shut it sonypony.

twilo99

Gold Member
After reading through the thread, it seems to me that the old CPU is not a big deal for the PS5 Pro.

I’m hearing that they are considering using it for the PS6 and beyond since it has zero impact on performance so there is just no need to waste money on a new socket and cooling solution.

It just proves that CPUs are not a big deal when it comes to gaming and you can easily rely on a 5/10 year old parts without any issues..

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I’m hearing that they are considering using it for the PS6 and beyond since it has zero impact on performance so there is just no need to waste money on a new socket and cooling solution.

It just proves that CPUs are not a big deal when it comes to gaming and you can easily rely on a 5/10 year old parts without any issues..
Not sure there is this need for so much saltiness… is it deserved for people not being able to differentiate the needs of generational jumps and Pro consoles 🤷‍♂️?

So sad that we doesnt have any quality footage from AW2 pro. Really curious how it looks like in performance mode
With the dlc releasing next month hopefully we can get a huge preview running on the pro. Over at the purple forum that Thomas guy who works for Remedy said they'll share more info in a few weeks about the upgrades.

Luipadre

With the dlc releasing next month hopefully we can get a huge preview running on the pro. Over at the purple forum that Thomas guy who works for Remedy said they'll share more info in a few weeks about the upgrades.

Nice. Im expecting better image quality than quality mode since that mode was still a bit soft and around quality mode graphics settings at 60 fps

For consoles here:

Since when we need to take into account the absolute min framerate in order to get to 60fps territory? Show me what CPU is needed to get to locked 60fps on PC here, is there even such a CPU? Oddly we are only doing that on consoles when talking about those "30fps" games. The game is already mostly 60fps in the others areas.

DiscoDave

Probs shouldn't but I done a pc part picker for a decent build that I'd get if was swit hing to PC and was surpised how kinda cheap it was. These are from pc part picker uk.

Parts are:
Cpu: AMD ryzen 7600 - £171.37
Mobo: Msi pro b60m - £96.99
Memory: patriot viper 32gb 6400 - £90.99
Storage: samsung 999 evo 1tb - £74.55
Gcard: msi ventus 4070 - £ 488.99
Case: Msi mag forge 100r - £44.99
PSU: Msi mag A750gl pcie5 £79.95
Total: 1047.83

If you going to go pc go more for this than some the shit they say here. I have built like 6 PCs myself and I'm an idiot so it shouldn't be to hard.

This is NOT to say go PC as it can be a nightmare sometimes and I have a PC and ps5 and have pre ordered a pro. Most my gaming is on console it's alot more hassle free and im simply showing this for people if you want to switch don't go building some of the shit people have put here (not all).

Anyway I see it that the more there is diminishing returns the more reason it is to stay with console. Just a better experience overall. I have a PC for the games that I can't get on console like strategy games and so on. Obviously if you want the absolute best image quality PC is the way. It really surprises me how some PC players really thinks your average console gamer gives a shit about PC. They never have and most likely never will.

Top Bottom