• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So I finally tried BBCSX the other day.

I no longer have the slightest clue how to fight Tager as Lambda, because of the way he can cancel moves that were easily punishable. Also I am still mashing 5C out of habit instead of holding down the button.

I no longer have the slightest clue how to fight Tager as Lambda, because of the way he can cancel moves that were easily punishable. Also I am still mashing 5C out of habit instead of holding down the button.

oh yeah, I totally forgot about that. Can you zone him?

Fugu

You should emphasize CHing sledge and volt charge now instead of hitting during the cancellable frames. Lambda can also beat volt charge with act parser A grab if you train your opponent to expect other things off of it.

The new Tager is very different. I assure you that the rude awakening between CS2 and CS:EX for most players will occur upon playing the new Tager for the first time. Things like B sledge now hitting 2/3rds of the screen as well as the previously mentioned cancellable moves are absolutely game-changing.

You should emphasize CHing sledge and volt charge now instead of hitting during the cancellable frames. Lambda can also beat volt charge with act parser A grab if you train your opponent to expect other things off of it.

The new Tager is very different. I assure you that the rude awakening between CS2 and CS:EX for most players will occur upon playing the new Tager for the first time. Things like B sledge now hitting 2/3rds of the screen as well as the previously mentioned cancellable moves are absolutely game-changing.

So does this mean we're going to see Tagers online again? I should just drop all characters and Tager purple grab to victory.

cj_iwakura

I do want it, but I feel like, unlike Continuum Shift, this is NOT worth $40. CS had a new story mode for everyone, and an immense one at that.

This is just... the DLC characters, one new character, and some new plot?

Meh.

So like, I see that no one's added me yet. My feelings are so hurt right now.

But real talk, I'm trying to get this Platinum trophy, and the online is screwing me over. I can't find a good Player Room to chill in for the life of me. If anyone is up for some games, hit me up. Be warned, I still suck, but I need some games.

So does this mean we're going to see Tagers online again? I should just drop all characters and Tager purple grab to victory.

I see there are lots of Tagers online now

I do want it, but I feel like, unlike Continuum Shift, this is NOT worth $40. CS had a new story mode for everyone, and an immense one at that.

This is just... the DLC characters, one new character, and some new plot?

Meh.

If you don't play the game, then yea, not really a reason to buy the newest one

cj_iwakura

But real talk, I'm trying to get this Platinum trophy, and the online is screwing me over. I can't find a good Player Room to chill in for the life of me. If anyone is up for some games, hit me up. Be warned, I still suck, but I need some games.

I'm always down, if you'll be on later. (If you're on PSN anyway.)

Felt like BB was a lot quieter when I was on the other day. Extend's already hurting CS. :(

Also, I tried to do Hazama's arcade story mode.

Unlimited Hakumen, then URagna. And you don't get to play as Unlimited Hazama.

Ow.

What systems are you guys going to be playing on? That LE looks sweet so I pre ordered the PS3 version for now even though my main was the 360 version.

All that Vampire Savior practice on a DS1 will surely pay off for Extend.

Solune

Haven't used my PS3 except for Marvel lately, Will add you later tonight.

Fugu

I see there are lots of Tagers online now

If you don't play the game, then yea, not really a reason to buy the newest one
I haven't added you yet because you're a CS2 pleban. Also, my keyboard is in the wrong city so adding people is cumbersome. Add me though.

I have yet to play against a Tager online. However, my local arcade has CSEX and there are two amazing Tager players in Toronto and one in Montreal, so I've seen plenty of what he can do. It's frightening.

EDIT: Okay so I fought a Tager online. He kinda sucked but he still had an 83% win percentage so my theory about people being unable to handle Tager seems to be panning out.

In other news my win percentage is 93%. So maybe people can't deal with Litchi either.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/content.php?306-The-BB-Community-EVO-Netplay-and-the-FGC

I think this was a good read about why BB wasn't at EVO this year.

Damn good read. I'm not going to lie, the local vs. net play point hit home. Hell I don't even have any scene where I live. I mean I could take a long drive to FIU south & play there with what? 4-5 people? Would that be worth it to me? Would I feel I would get even experience for tourneys? I'd have to say no, and I'm not even going to throw in full time work(bills/bills) & having no time thanks to studies as well.

I'd love to go to a tourney here in Florida(within driving distance) that doesn't conflict with anything but that's never going to happen.

The numbers mentioned was really eye opening.

cj_iwakura

He's right about turnouts. I know from experience. I tried to run a BB tourney in SoFla. One person showed up.

I went to Daytona for one.

Eight people showed up.

BB are online people, not tourney supporters. Sad but true.

And the young thing is BS; I'm 30, started with SF1, and BB is my favorite fighting game now. Period.

He's right about turnouts. I know from experience. I tried to run a BB tourney in SoFla. One person showed up.

I went to Daytona for one.

Eight people showed up.

BB are online people, not tourney supporters. Sad but true.

And the young thing is BS
; I'm 30, started with SF1, and BB is my favorite fighting game now. Period.

Most, not all is young though as indicated by you, I & others in this thread.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/content.php?306-The-BB-Community-EVO-Netplay-and-the-FGC

I think this was a good read about why BB wasn't at EVO this year.
Thanks for the link. It was a fantastic read.

I've never been to a tournament in my life, but I think I can see that changing with Skullgirls and Extend(best version in my eyes so far) out this year. All I need is that Megaman edition and I'll be forced to make a few trips to East Coast events.

EVO doesn't look realistic at all unless Skullgirls is the most amazing thing ever(in my case). I don't even know if Extend could get me that hyped...

Fugu

I'm 21. I go to every tournament that I can (which usually amounts to every tournament in the GTA, some tournaments in MTL, and this year NEC, but they are certainly right about the negative influence of good netcode on tournament attendance. I can't afford to go to EVO but doing so would be a higher priority if I didn't have it. They need to give more credit to the fact that the revision schedule completely fucks the US, though.

V-Gief

Decided I was going to try a new character in EX. I decided on Taokaka! After 20 minutes of trying to figure stuff out with the help of dustloop...

1148_1253230725640.jpg

Just incorporating drive cancels in combos with her takes real effort haha. The inputs feel so unnatural at first. Then there's the option of mixups with the cancels, on top of everything else she has access to.. picking up Taokaka feels very daunting after all is said and done.

Decided I was going to try a new character in EX. I decided on Taokaka! After 20 minutes of trying to figure stuff out with the help of dustloop...

1148_1253230725640.jpg

Just incorporating drive cancels in combos with her takes real effort haha. The inputs feel so unnatural at first. Then there's the option of mixups with the cancels, on top of everything else she has access to.. picking up Taokaka feels very daunting after all is said and done.

Tao's probably the second hardest char to use after Caruru. Good luck!

V-Gief

Tao's probably the second hardest char to use after Caruru. Good luck!
I'm beginning to realize I chose to climb a mountain instead of a molehill. She is incredible amounts of fun though and I reckon it only gets more fun as you start to learn how to wield her properly.

Fugu

I'm beginning to realize I chose to climb a mountain instead of a molehill. She is incredible amounts of fun though and I reckon it only gets more fun as you start to learn how to wield her properly.
It's not really like that, because Taokaka is every bit as daunting to face as she is to play. Using your example of drive cancels...

A weaker player will either see a drive cancel as a failed mixup (so they will DP, attempt to punish or escape every time) or as an unbeatable mixup, because they won't know the circumstances that allow it to happen. If they DP every time, you can just not do it; if they can't deal with it, you can do it every time.
Against stronger players, you will be forced to use it like the four-way mixup that it actually is, but in this environment it is very strong.

alstein

Thanks for the link. It was a fantastic read.

I've never been to a tournament in my life, but I think I can see that changing with Skullgirls and Extend(best version in my eyes so far) out this year. All I need is that Megaman edition and I'll be forced to make a few trips to East Coast events.

EVO doesn't look realistic at all unless Skullgirls is the most amazing thing ever(in my case). I don't even know if Extend could get me that hyped...

I gotta say I agree with the logic of that myself, but I don't think it applies locally.

Skullgirls could be an interesting test, the netcode should be just as good, but I suspect the playerbase will be older. I wonder what is the bigger factor: the netcode being good or the players being broke?

Personally, if given the choice between no online or no tourneys, I'd choose no tourneys. Tourneys require effort to attend, and cost money, and you sometimes have to deal with horrid smells. Online you can have fun whenever you want, even at 5am.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
oh yeah, I totally forgot about that. Can you zone him?
It seems far harder now. IMO one of the biggest things about Lambda-Tager in CS1 (I didn't play against Tager much in CS2) was the fact that you could counterhit 5D-236C if he tried to B sledge against you, which pretty much limited his approach options to walking slowly and super jumping. The thing is, Tager's B sledge can now charge, covers more ground, and can be cancelled into another move at the end, so the 5D punish either doesn't work anymore, or is unreliable.

Tager can also cancel charge into the same move (the hammer part of sledge?). I've hit him out of charge by doing an act parser, but I think the Tager was actually fishing for me to do that but missed the punish, so I'm reluctant to keep doing that.

Add that to stronger magnetism (so a blocked Spark Bolt is still scary thanks to magnetism) and what appears to be a whole new bag of gimmicks, and I'm pretty much clueless as to what to do.

tl;dr: I think it's doable, but much harder to do now. I sure as hell can't do it against the local arcade Tager, but he is a much better player than I am.

Hey Fugu, I think I drop by the same arcade as you. I'm pretty sure I've played you there once or twice in CS1 days. I'm the red Lambda who sort of knows combos but otherwise sucks. XD

How exactly does Tager's move cancelling work out of volt charge/sledge? Are there only certain points when he can cancel it? I'm reluctant to use act parser to beat it out unless I'm absolutely certain it's a hard counter. Doing act parser when Tager knows it's coming is just giving him a free 360/720.

alstein

That convinced me to give this game another chance.

Also insurance in case the KOF patch flops, SCV has issues and Skullgirls isn't my thing.

Blazblue is like #4 in my pecking order right now.

Top Bottom