• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Platinum and her multiple personalities appear in story mode! :lol

TruePrime said:
Sweet, I was worried it wouldn't.

It contains all the lessons from the last game, plus a handful of new ones. The new episodes have questions at the end that you have to answer to get the next one.

Drac

Don't forget the new entry, Tasukete ! Kokonoe-hakase ! when you get the bad ending in story mode (Litchy and Arakune ones are awesome :lol, hell they are ALL awesome)

Fugu

Drac said:
Don't forget the new entry, Tasukete ! Kokonoe-hakase ! when you get the bad ending in story mode (Litchy and Arakune ones are awesome :lol, hell they are ALL awesome)
I like the Rachel bad ending.

Also "Fuck you for enjoying the story" is the most moronic argument I've seen in awhile.

Drac

Fugu said:
I like the Rachel bad ending.

Also "Fuck you for enjoying the story" is the most moronic argument I've seen in awhile.

Oh btw was that you who had problem with Litchy Challenge #5 ? The trick to connect the AIR B, AIR C, dash, C is to slightly delay the AIR B and C after the jump. If you watch the computer you can see Lichty is falling when doing the AIR C. If you do it too fast she will still be rising during the AIR C. Now the difficult part is to delay it enough so she is falling when hitting but not too much or you won't connect the AIR B.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Fuck those guys! :D

Versus mode or GTFO! Go back to RPG's weaboos! Fighting games are not safe for you.

Although I do get big lolz from Ishiwatari mouthing off about his story, yadda yadda - world building is not punching shit in the face. :D

There's no way this can be anything other than a troll post. No fucking way.

And on another note, I am looking very forward to Continuum Shift's story mode if it's any bit as good as the first one, which was awesome.

HeresSomeWeapons said:
There's no way this can be anything other than a troll post. No fucking way.

And on another note, I am looking very forward to Continuum Shift's story mode if it's any bit as good as the first one, which was awesome.

Everything TTOB says is a troll. I don't know why people still bother replying to him.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
akachan ningen said:
Everything TTOB says is a troll. I don't know why people still bother replying to him.

The way I look at it is this. I agree with TTOB personally, but I know that my opinions aren't in the majority- and there are fans who like story. I support that- if the casual fan buys stuff I like, even if it's for reasons I don't- I can get more of it. If it wasn't for all the anime fans who got into BB so heavily, BBCS wouldn't have been such a priority- we probably wouldn't have gotten the DLC chars and stuff.

I just don't like it when Single Player is forced on me- see vanilla SF4.

I think the game that did it best this gen was SC4. No real gameplay unlocks (unlocking the final chars was pretty easy), customization unlocks were acheivement based- and you could gain the necessary acheivement solely through playing people,and storymode folks could do it solely through single-player.

Hopefully VF5FS doesn't do what it did for VF5- playing single-player was a grind in that since the AI was so stupid.

Blueblur1

So awesome that GAF can do this shit so wrong. :lol :lol :lol

I'll do my part to keep never playing Story Modes and skipping all intros and cut scenes.

Fighting games are for fighting and the reason I bought CT is because it wasn't hideous 3D, having the best god damned online play in a console fighter was the best bonus ever. Solid online play is why I'm buying the sequel, that and I want to support the remaining 2D game developers.

I'll probably even buy the retarded DLC characters just because I never want 2D sprites to be replaced by garishly shaded polygon models. :D

Oh and training mode now.

Fuck those guys! :D

Versus mode or GTFO! Go back to RPG's weaboos! Fighting games are not safe for you.

Although I do get big lolz from Ishiwatari mouthing off about his story, yadda yadda - world building is not punching shit in the face. :D
I would like to assume that your use of smileys is an attempt to balance out the animosity that you've put on display but it's clearly unnecessary sarcasm. I don't know know which is worse.

arstal said:
The way I look at it is this. I agree with TTOB personally, but I know that my opinions aren't in the majority- and there are fans who like story. I support that- if the casual fan buys stuff I like, even if it's for reasons I don't- I can get more of it. If it wasn't for all the anime fans who got into BB so heavily, BBCS wouldn't have been such a priority- we probably wouldn't have gotten the DLC chars and stuff.

I also feel this way , while i did play allot of BB story before i stop .(might play some of the new one also)
If story mode gets more people to buy the game so we get more BB stuff it's find by me.
What even gets game to sell more without hurting it .

Beezy

Just noticed the tier list. People used Bang enough already, now there's gonna be a shitload more online. :(

Good to see that he and Hakumen, my two favorite characters, got improved though.

Beezy said:
Just noticed the tier list. People used Bang enough already, now there's gonna be a shitload more online. :(

What? I've always seen Nus, Arakunes, Jins and Noels online. Also Bang is not THAT easy to use... No mashing (maybe the jabs). Even at the arcades, the characters were evened out pretty well.

The problem was that Bang usually stayed for like 5 straight games so it looked like there were 20 Bang players :lol

arstal said:

I just don't like it when Single Player is forced on me- see vanilla SF4.

I think the game that did it best this gen was SC4. No real gameplay unlocks (unlocking the final chars was pretty easy), customization unlocks were acheivement based- and you could gain the necessary acheivement solely through playing people,and storymode folks could do it solely through single-player.

Hopefully VF5FS doesn't do what it did for VF5- playing single-player was a grind in that since the AI was so stupid.

Let's forget VF5 ever happened. Not because it's a bad game, but because it's the last gasp of horrible Japanese attitudes toward the Western console market.

I didn't buy VF5 when I had a PS3 because it had no online play. This isn't the PS2. There's no excuse other than sheer laziness / ignorance to not include an online mode.

The Xbox port arrived too late. It's basically SF3 syndrome. Release a version to a captive audience, then release it to the masses too late. :(

Come on SEGA don't fuck up VF5FS. I love VF too much to not play it, and I don't want you guys going the way of Capcom.

Blueblur1 said:
I would like to assume that your use of smileys is an attempt to balance out the animosity that you've put on display but it's clearly unnecessary sarcasm. I don't know know which is worse.

Sorry, I'm dealing with people who get pissy when I don't type out "IMO", as if me typing a post needs some sort of additional qualification that it is indeed my opinion. So yes, there is overcompensation at times.

Fugu

Prototype-03 said:
What? I've always seen Nus, Arakunes, Jins and Noels online. Also Bang is not THAT easy to use... No mashing (maybe the jabs). Even at the arcades, the characters were evened out pretty well.
If you look at it from the perspective of mid-level play, Bang is probably the easiest character to play. Easy execution all across the board (as a Litchi player, it's almost embarassing how much more work I have to do to get to 3k), he can start up well on a jab, his supers all have obvious purposes, and he has so many safe options all the time that it's easy to build up workable pressure.
As the players involved get better, Bang's obvious lack of mixup becomes more and more of a problem, but the most that the majority of players will ever encounter regarding Bang is his uncanny ability to get 3k off of a poke and BAAAAAAAANG BANG BANG BAAAAANG (FKRZ combos make me laugh because it's mostly just one move performed 10 times).

Bang is still woefully unpopular online (my experience suggests that only Carl and Litchi are less popular) but he's on the upswing.
Hazama is annoyingly popular; it's like rushdown Ragnas in CT: After facing like thirty of them in a row and winnning every time (If you do that while I'm blocking, I'm just going to hit you) it becomes stupidly repetitive.

Oh btw was that you who had problem with Litchy Challenge #5 ? The trick to connect the AIR B, AIR C, dash, C is to slightly delay the AIR B and C after the jump. If you watch the computer you can see Lichty is falling when doing the AIR C. If you do it too fast she will still be rising during the AIR C. Now the difficult part is to delay it enough so she is falling when hitting but not too much or you won't connect the AIR B.
I figured that was the case, but on the second go-round (when it repeats 5C j.BC) the bot doesn't delay the j.B at all (possibly because you have absolutely no time to do so), so I was delaying the j.C and dropping the combo because you have to delay j.C to make some other combos connect, but not this combo. I'm going to beat it when I've got more tolerance for it. I don't mind working on my execution but jeez, that combo is just so useless.

EDIT: TTOB, if your point was "unlockables suck", I would agree with you, because they do suck, and forcing people to play single-player when they otherwise wouldn't be interested also sucks. But your point was "go back to JRPGs, fighting games aren't safe for you", which is you projecting your preference on anyone who bought a fighting game ever.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
cnet128 said:
...Okay, Noel's "Help me, Kokonoe-hakase" section was officially the best thing I have ever seen XDXDXD

I just got that. :lol

Also Rachel is so bad. I've concluded that it's completely impossible to beat UL Hazama with her. Jesus. PATCH NOW.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Come on SEGA don't fuck up VF5FS. I love VF too much to not play it, and I don't want you guys going the way of Capcom.

Sega going the way of Capcom would be a massive improvement.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Man, the BlazBlue TE stick carries a $50 premium over the normal TE sticks. That's pretty damned crazy.

LegatoB

ZealousD said:
Sega going the way of Capcom would be a massive improvement.
Yes, say what you will about Capcom, they'll actually sell their games to foreigners! :lol

I would love to start playing VF again, I'm just waiting on Sega to decide we're "worthy" of getting a recent version of the game on console again.

luka said:
Also Rachel is so bad. I've concluded that it's completely impossible to beat UL Hazama with her. Jesus. PATCH NOW.

Rachel's only downfall is the damage. She has a great oki game, great zoning game, decent rushdown. It's just that all her combos fall in like 2k. 3k if it's a great combo. 5k if you start a combo with 5B and have 100% heat.

The ONLY thing that doesn't make sense to me is her 6B... it has 80% proration. The only thing you can follow up with that (even with CH) is her A lobelia. Either extend CH time or no proration.

Fugu

Prototype-03 said:
Rachel's only downfall is the damage. She has a great oki game, great zoning game, decent rushdown. It's just that all her combos fall in like 2k. 3k if it's a great combo. 5k if you start a combo with 5B and have 100% heat.

The ONLY thing that doesn't make sense to me is her 6B... it has 80% proration. The only thing you can follow up with that (even with CH) is her A lobelia. Either extend CH time or no proration.
I would argue that Rachel's damage is far from her biggest problem in CS. A bigger problem is that her zoning is well below average unless the opponent is already in the corner, and the biggest problem is that her oki midscreen is completely non-existent. She is a character that depends on zoning prowess that isn't particularly good at zoning.

cnet128 said:
...Okay, Noel's "Help me, Kokonoe-hakase" section was officially the best thing I have ever seen XDXDXD

Oh.

HELL.

YES.

Tager's "Teach me Boobie Lady" was the best one (ok, his and Bang's were the funny ones), Koko there was a huge chunk of the reason why.

Kintaro said:
Man, the BlazBlue TE stick carries a $50 premium over the normal TE sticks. That's pretty damned crazy.
They were selling them for $140 at AX but seriously, its disappointing they're charging such a premium for them regularly. I guess they overestimated demand bigtime, because there are only 3000 and they haven't sold through yet :lol

Fugu said:
I would argue that Rachel's damage is far from her biggest problem in CS. A bigger problem is that her zoning is well below average unless the opponent is already in the corner, and the biggest problem is that her oki midscreen is completely non-existent. She is a character that depends on zoning prowess that isn't particularly good at zoning.

She's not a pure zoner. She wasn't that great of a zoner in CT either (most of her damage didn't come from lobelias/sword iris). Don't get me wrong, she can zone when she wants to, but that's not her strength.

In CT, she was way better as a rushdown (which I don't think she was supposed to be), but in CS, she's more of a setup/annoying type (think Bang in CT). Her chair got buffed, better frog (debatable since some ppl think that the cooldown makes it worse), air sword iris and her 5CC. Some of her imba stuff are gone (no more normal cancel from j.2C (smaller hitbox too?), shorter distance/less stun on pumpkin and a worthless 6B CH.

With all those changes, her mixup game got REALLY strong but not abusable. Her frog is now windable, you can combo from chair and you can play racketball with 5CC (ends with pumpkin/frog setups). Her air sword iris adds a lot into her game since it's a good finisher and I *think* it has less recovery than ground iris.

Trust me, her game is fine. Her damage, however, is not. A lot of matches end up with time out and she BARELY wins even though she is dominating most of the match. It's really disheartening to see how many more times you have to combo to match up to ONE combo from Bang/Ragna/Litchi.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Prototype-03 said:
Trust me, her game is fine. Her damage, however, is not. A lot of matches end up with time out and she BARELY wins even though she is dominating most of the match. It's really disheartening to see how many more times you have to combo to match up to ONE combo from Bang/Ragna/Litchi.

Yeah, even just looking at the 10th mission can show a lot. Bang has a ~4500 meterless combo while Rachel has ~4600 with 100 heat off a counterhit.

Fugu said:
EDIT: TTOB, if your point was "unlockables suck", I would agree with you, because they do suck, and forcing people to play single-player when they otherwise wouldn't be interested also sucks. But your point was "go back to JRPGs, fighting games aren't safe for you", which is you projecting your preference on anyone who bought a fighting game ever.

Unlockable characters that are decades old is bullshit, but that's Capcom. lulz

I don't know of any other game where unlockables affect game play or roster, barring stupid boss character unlocks.

Anyhow I find the whining for fighting games to offer more than online play and competent fighting engines hilarious. By modern definitions SF2 on the SNES would be a BOMBA!

Completely arbitrary game nerd whining for features and the death of arcades in the West has really fucked up our priorities. When I was a kid, having the home version to practice for arcade matches was worth the cost of the game. Now everybody wants blowjobs and a unicorn with their game purchase. :|

Can't fucking wait for this game. Will be able to put my shitty Mad Crapz Xboxen stick through its paces.

Beth Cyra

I don't know of any other game where unlockables affect game play or roster, barring stupid boss character unlocks.

Anyhow I find the whining for fighting games to offer more than online play and competent fighting engines hilarious. By modern definitions SF2 on the SNES would be a BOMBA!

Completely arbitrary game nerd whining for features and the death of arcades in the West has really fucked up our priorities. When I was a kid, having the home version to practice for arcade matches was worth the cost of the game. Now everybody wants blowjobs and a unicorn with their game purchase. :|

Can't fucking wait for this game. Will be able to put my shitty Mad Crapz Xboxen stick through its paces.

The fact is you are getting everything you want, all the characters accept the DLC, wonderful online play and a promise of balacnce patch in the future.

So why not back off the other people who are also getting what they want and enjoy the game for the reasons you want to enjoy it for and forget about those of us that want to play and enjoy the story before we head online?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Sorry Bandit, I'm gonna talk about the story here. Hope it doesn't upset you.

Ending was pretty fantastic, despite the shitty animation. Most of the cast has now clearly defined sides.
"Good guys" = Ragna, Jin, Noel, Makoto, Taokaka, Jubei, Hakumen, Rachel. "Bad guys" = Saya (the Imperator), Hazama, Tsubaki, Litchi, Relius, Phantom. Bang and Carl are the odd ones out, but I'd guess Bang would go with whichever side Litchi is on, and Carl hates his father, so...
The plot was definitely more interesting than the last one and everyone had a fair bit of surprising developments. Can't wait to see how the next game plays out.

Also huge WTFs: Hakumen is
Jin from another timeline

Sanjay

Super Street Fighter 4, you have all the characters from the start and theres no need to grind to unlock them like you did with Street Fighter 4. Times are changing.

Fugu

luka said:

Ending was pretty fantastic, despite the shitty animation. Most of the cast has now clearly defined sides.
"Good guys" = Ragna, Jin, Noel, Makoto, Taokaka, Jubei, Hakumen, Rachel. "Bad guys" = Saya (the Imperator), Hazama, Tsubaki, Litchi, Relius, Phantom. Bang and Carl are the odd ones out, but I'd guess Bang would go with whichever side Litchi is on, and Carl hates his father, so...
The plot was definitely more interesting than the last one and everyone had a fair bit of surprising developments. Can't wait to see how the next game plays out.

Litchi's only on the bad side because of Arakune. I think the smart money for Bang is on good.

kiryogi

Banned
luka said:

I thought Hakumen was known since CT.

luka said:

I think this was known or hinted at from Calamity Trigger.

Would Tsubaki still be bad since shes blind and the vid made it seem it was Hazama who did it all and mocked her (aka Trollzama in the vids).

luka

Loves Robotech S1
kiryogi said:
I thought Hakumen was known since CT.

Yeah probably. I honestly didn't pay too much attention to everything that happened in the original and rushed through a few of the characters. Looking back though he does talk like him and use a lot of similar expressions.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll

There are some good features beside those that I enjoy. I thnk customization is the best thing ever to happen to 3d fighters.

SF2 today would have been a bomba- even with a pretty good rebalancing effort, it wouldn't be more then a XBLA/PSN title. Fighting games have progressed. People demand more for their money.

The single-player stuff, if it's cheap (which it is), and causes casuals to buy the game- it's a good thing for us. As long as we're not forced to go through it (SF4 and VF5 were the worst offenders this gen)- it's fine by me.

That said, a port with nothing but competent online play and decent gameplay was put out this gen. HDR. It sold around 250k as a download title despite Backbone/Sirlin wank. 250-300k is about what I think is the base of the hardcore FGC. For a game to sell more then that you need some eyecandy (SC4) and nostalgia (SF4). Those are the only games that sold seven digits in fighters this gen.

I do 100% agree though that the good online + competent engine are the necessities- everything else is the luxury. Why VF5, HDR and BB have been my favorite fighters this gen.

BTW, I do find it expected that so many of the posters in this thread, also post in the anime/manga thread regularly. ^_^

arstal said:
BTW, I do find it expected that so many of the posters in this thread, also post in the anime/manga thread regularly. ^_^

Sir did you just label me? Well you do have a point I mean, part of my interest with this series does lay with my small interest in the aforementioned. As of now 2 weeks for the US release.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
iconoclast said:
To be fair, VF is just about the only fighting game with AI that's actually fun to fight against. But regardless, I agree.

VF5 AI was not fun to fight against. It never dealt with certain moves, and did Capcom-style reading of inputs. Anti-fuzzy stuff almost always worked on it, as did doing Jeff 9K+G.

VF4 Evo AI was pretty good though, except that it never broke low throws.

VF5 forced you to play SP though to customize, which is the 2nd most fun part of the game. Hopefully FS allows for item-grabbing over MP.

Eh, I still found VF5 pretty fun to play through quest mode. Sure, the AI wasn't as good as VF4, but it's still at least one step up from just about everything else I'm used to. But once I got 100% completion (for the infinite gold cheat) I never played the AI again, so maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

I agree that all unlockables should be available through multiplayer though.

By the way, has anyone done the challenge mode for BBCS? I'm curious if it teaches fundamental bread-and-butter combos, or if it throws in a bunch of impractical, needlessly difficult combos like S/SF4.

Top Bottom