• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

xero273

hikarutilmitt said:
And I finally went and preordered it... at Amazon with my first trial month of Prime! Let's see if they can get it into my hands on release day...

If you are close to where the game is shipping out then you might get it the day after.

Volcynika

hikarutilmitt said:
And I finally went and preordered it... at Amazon with my first trial month of Prime! Let's see if they can get it into my hands on release day...

Release date shipping is not offered for all games. Your distance from a distribution center can make that possible, but Prime's fastest shipping (at least with no extra charge) is 2-day shipping.

I am still sad that the 20th didn't turn out to be the release day for CC. Now poor Starcraft 2 is going to get overshadowed. I mean sure I'll get both games the same day but I'll end up playing the hell out of Blazblue while poor SC2 just gets to sit in the corner.

Seriously though I am kind of shocked that this is the game I am looking forward to most now.

Volcynika said:
Release date shipping is not offered for all games. Your distance from a distribution center can make that possible, but Prime's fastest shipping (at least with no extra charge) is 2-day shipping.

Oh okay. That's good to know. I'm assuming that for preorders it will say if it has release-date shipping I'm honestly okay with getting it a day or two after if it means I don't have to go to Gamestop, pay tax and get an extra day or two on my quest to clear backlog before I get the game.

Volcynika

hikarutilmitt said:
Oh okay. That's good to know. I'm assuming that for preorders it will say if it has release-date shipping I'm honestly okay with getting it a day or two after if it means I don't have to go to Gamestop, pay tax and get an extra day or two on my quest to clear backlog before I get the game.

Yeah, usually if you're on Prime and they change the game page to allow release date shipping they'll automatically update it for you, though sometimes they don't and you have to manually do it.

Fugu

QisTopTier said:
It's easier than street fighter though!
Only did challenge mode for my respective mains in both games and I found Litchi's challenge mode to be much more difficult than Chun-Li's. Granted I find consistency more difficult than timing.

I don't know if you're kidding or not, based on the content of the last page.

Dexa said:
pre ordered the us version :D
hopefully its more balanced than super broken fighter 4....

I wouldn't count on it given ASW thoughts on character balance with the initial release of the game. :\

That's okay!

Tager can just work harder. :D

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
The Take Out Bandit said:
I wouldn't count on it given ASW thoughts on character balance with the initial release of the game. :\

That's okay!

Tager can just work harder. :D

SSF4 has its share of problems, but character balance, outside of Dan and maybe Makoto, aren't among them.

BBCS is not as balanced- but they are doing a balance patch, which will help. (I really think they're giving up BBCS plus what would have been the sequel with the DLC chars+ balance patch- why I'm ok with paying for it- we would have in the PS2 days)

arstal said:
SSF4 has its share of problems, but character balance, outside of Dan and maybe Makoto, aren't among them.

BBCS is not as balanced- but they are doing a balance patch, which will help. (I really think they're giving up BBCS plus what would have been the sequel with the DLC chars+ balance patch- why I'm ok with paying for it- we would have in the PS2 days)

I'm not worried. Outside of some of the Arakune rape I got online with CT.

I can only play Tager thanks to my aversion to hideous ASW character designs. He's the least hideously offensive character of the lot. :(

I generally agree that balance leads to games where damage is reduced in favor of long matches; etc. BB seems to have hit a happy medium.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
The Take Out Bandit said:
I'm not worried. Outside of some of the Arakune rape I got online with CT.

I can only play Tager thanks to my aversion to hideous ASW character designs. He's the least hideously offensive character of the lot. :(

I generally agree that balance leads to games where damage is reduced in favor of long matches; etc. BB seems to have hit a happy medium.

VF is very balanced, yet very quick matches.

KOF UM games are also well balanced, especially 98UM (Krauser's a lil too good, but not outright broken), and can be played quick or slow.

Fugu

arstal said:
Is this based on anything? CS differentials are smaller than CT's, and the worst matchups in CS are 65-35. I'll grant that the game's balance isn't perfect, but categorizing it simply as "worse than SSFIV" is not at all accurate.

Dexa said:
pre ordered the us version :D
hopefully its more balanced than super broken fighter 4....

Woah, someone sounds butthurt!
How hard is it to rename a charcater? Is there a lore inspired reason why she has the name makoto?

I've been playing BB:CT to keep myself fresh for BlazBlue and the lack of balance is really showing now. Carl is actually more impressive than ever to see in action(aside from clap trap), but Arakune is just unbearable to fight against even if it's one in every 20 matches and Jin and his motherfuckin' ice is wearing on my patience(still not as bad as before).Tager is pretty goddamn annoying with his ridiculous damage as usual. The Noel drive spam is also not as annoying as it is sad(it's really pitiful to see it used incorrectly).

I can't wait to get my hands on a more balanced BlazBlue. Maybe people wont actually feel so inclined to misuse drives.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
SolarPowered said:
I've been playing BB:CT to keep myself fresh for BlazBlue and the lack of balance is really showing now. Carl is actually more impressive than ever to see in action(aside from clap trap), but Arakune is just unbearable to fight against even if it's one in every 20 matches and Jin and his motherfuckin' ice is wearing on my patience(still not as bad as before).Tager is pretty goddamn annoying with his ridiculous damage as usual. The Noel drive spam is also not as annoying as it is sad(it's really pitiful to see it used incorrectly).

I can't wait to get my hands on a more balanced BlazBlue. Maybe people wont actually feel so inclined to misuse drives.

WHAT ARAKUNE NO WAYYY LETS ALL BITCH ABOUT NU INSTEAD (who isnt really as good as people say)

Fugu

SolarPowered said:

What? You complain about balance, but in your post you include a top tier character, a mid tier character, and the worst character in the game?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lostconfused said:
If you are going to link a random combo video why not just like the one where hakumen killing some one in a single combo?

Hakumen needs to get his meter completely filled, but that's easier said than done since Haku is always using it. This is a METERLESS combo, done off a counter hit in the corner.

Fugu

Papercuts said:
Hakumen needs to get his meter completely filled, but that's easier said than done since Haku is always using it. This is a METERLESS combo, done off a counter hit in the corner.
I would argue that to many characters, a corner ch is a better opportunity than a combo starting with 100% heat. Comparing characters based on the length of their combos is largely irrelevant regardless of the circumstances of the combo because what matters more is the factors involved in getting someone into a combo and the amount of hits that will lead to big damage (as well as the danger involved in landing those hits).

Yeah, Nu was on the high end of the power scale in CT, but she wasn't impossible to defeat. Many amazing players didn't play as Nu, Rachel, or Arakune. If you're not a pro and you're losing games to Nu, your problem isn't character balance, it's you; you can certainly overcome the gap by simply being a better player.

Also, calling Nu easy to pick up is a joke. She's not as difficult as Carl or Litchi (or even CT Tager) but she's definitely not easy either. Zoning characters aren't at all easy to play and they take quite a bit of getting used to (especially if you're used to something completely different, which you probably are considering I can't think of a character in any other game that plays anything like Nu).

LowParry

remz said:
Bridget isn't a girl!

2mczx1j.jpg

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Fugu said:
Also, calling Nu easy to pick up is a joke. She's not as difficult as Carl or Litchi (or even CT Tager) but she's definitely not easy either.
I don't know about that... I could barely get the basics down with Jin, but with Nu I was damn near unbeatable. I actually learned the game through her. Mixups were cake compared to everyone else. Ridiculous zoning. Crazy pressure game. All that with some of the easiest combos to execute in the game. All someone had to do was just slip up once and they'd be in a world of hurt with little effort compared to other players... I love her, but she was broken like hell.

Just got back from playing with a friend, Tsubaki is sooooooo much fun to play with but omfg her damage sucks. Gives me a whole new appreciation for Noel.

Steaks

Fugu said:
Also, calling Nu easy to pick up is a joke. She's not as difficult as Carl or Litchi (or even CT Tager) but she's definitely not easy either. Zoning characters aren't at all easy to play and they take quite a bit of getting used to (especially if you're used to something completely different, which you probably are considering I can't think of a character in any other game that plays anything like Nu).
I was beating regular tournament players in casuals after five games of using Nu.

Nu is the easiest character (effort to success ratio-wise) in BB:CT if you actually have some semblance of execution and know what "blocking" means.

DY_nasty said:
I don't know about that... I could barely get the basics down with Jin, but with Nu I was damn near unbeatable. I actually learned the game through her. Mixups were cake compared to everyone else. Ridiculous zoning. Crazy pressure game. All that with some of the easiest combos to execute in the game. All someone had to do was just slip up once and they'd be in a world of hurt with little effort compared to other players... I love her, but she was broken like hell.

Just got back from playing with a friend, Tsubaki is sooooooo much fun to play with but omfg her damage sucks. Gives me a whole new appreciation for Noel.
Nu is pretty amazing for those who know how to use her, but she is also a huge liability because one fuck up could kill off half your health bar with more than half of the cast.

Pretty specialized character if you ask me. Arakune is THE worst offender of all though. Any complaints against anyone else are moot before him.

fake edit: This reminds me. I've never actually seen a fight between a Tager and Arakune. That would be frustrating as hell I'd imagine.:lol
QisTopTier said:
WHAT ARAKUNE NO WAYYY LETS ALL BITCH ABOUT NU INSTEAD (who isnt really as good as people say)
I'm a Bang player so I don't usually have very many negative things to say about her.:lol
Fugu said:
What? You complain about balance, but in your post you include a top tier character, a mid tier character, and the worst character in the game?
I suppose I was just venting. Tager is no where near as bad as the worst offenders(Nu/Arakune), but it's kind of frustrating to see a good corner game nullified by a single grab when he gets up, or god forbid he catches me in a combo. I will say that I probably respect Tager players the most in the game because they're always in a really precarious position at high level play. Most people even below mid level have an idea of what Tager can pull off which can't be said about most of the other characters.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
SolarPowered said:
Nu is pretty amazing for those who know how to use her, but she is also a huge liability because one fuck up could kill off half your health bar with more than half of the cast.

Pretty specialized character if you ask me. Arakune is THE worst offender of all though. Any complaints against anyone else are moot before him.

fake edit: This reminds me. I've never actually seen a fight between a Tager and Arakune. That would be frustrating as hell I'd imagine.:lol

I'm a Bang player so I don't usually have very many negative things to say about her.:lol

I suppose I was just venting. Tager is no where near as bad as the worst offenders(Nu/Arakune), but it's kind of frustrating to see a good corner game nullified by a single grab when he gets up, or god forbid he catches me in a combo. I will say that I probably respect Tager players the most in the game because they're always in a really precarious position at high level play. Most people even below mid level have an idea of what Tager can pull off which can't be said about most of the other characters.

In CT, Hakumen/Arakune may have been even worse. That matchup along with Nu is why I never fully got into the game despite liking it.

Steaks

arstal said:
In CT, Hakumen/Arakune may have been even worse. That matchup along with Nu is why I never fully got into the game despite liking it.
Arakune beat Tager more than he beat Hakumen because Hakumen actually had some answers to clouds (rather, making sure he didn't make them appear), Tager did not. Mind you that match was still horrible...

Okay kids, lets break this down.

Nu vs. Hakumen. If Nu loses for any reason, this Nu is a horrible Nu. There is quite literally NO safe way for Hakumen to get close to her. She can literally run away, sit in a corner and wait for you to move. She has a perfect anti-air in the 2D with which to shoot you out of any IADs, and a plethora of horizontal moves to stuff any command dashes. You can't use his counter to actually counter any of Nu's projectiles, you'll be too far away so you'll get stuffed by a projectile every time. In this match, the Nu player can start by backdashing and throw out a gravity field and your not going to be able to touch her. Nu can stuff anything Hakumen does. At least Tager can sledge through stuff and spark bolt things.

Oh sure, you can beat a Nu player with Hakumen. If they're impatient. Anyone who's Nu who's playing seriously isn't going to lose. Hakumen players will lose because of balance issues. Please don't pretend balance issues don't exist in CT. There's a reason characters were completely changed in CS.

Some characters are hard to play. Some are not. Nu is not. Whats that basic combo? DD hold back DD, quarter circle D? And then an air one is something like 2D jDD DDDDDD.
zsBpK.gif

Nu isn't hard to play. Litchi, Rachel, Arakune and Carl are hard to play. When people ask me what characters they should start with, I always tell them Nu or Noel because they're so focused around 1 button with minimal execution. I still remember being aghast at Nu's projectiles not being quarter circle Ds.

Another ungodly match-up is Carl vs Tager. Tager is royally screwed in almost all situations there because of how large and slow he is.

And as an aside, I find it hilarious that they made Hakumen's sword simply block things. As if it were some kind of better alternative to simply standing and blocking. One of many ideas that probably seemed good at the time, when they came up with it (clouds cursing when blocked). Hooray for black holes in CS!

Fugu

kensk said:
I was beating regular tournament players in casuals after five games of using Nu.

Nu is the easiest character (effort to success ratio-wise) in BB:CT if you actually have some semblance of execution and know what "blocking" means.
That just makes me question the skill of these "regular tournament players". Perhaps my definition of mid-level is different than yours, but I know no mid-level player that would be defeated that easily. To me, a mid-level player is a player who has moved past knowledge of BnBs and considers that granted; having played five games you can't have gotten much further than that.

If you want to go there, Rachel is the "worst offender".

If you ate a 360, all you needed to do was jump. If you ate a throw, then your reaction time isn't fast enough. Honestly, if you're in so close on Tager that he can throw you out of pressure (unexpectedly), you're probably not doing something right.

Okay kids, lets break this down.

Nu vs. Hakumen. If Nu loses for any reason, this Nu is a horrible Nu. There is quite literally NO safe way for Hakumen to get close to her. She can literally run away, sit in a corner and wait for you to move. She has a perfect anti-air in the 2D with which to shoot you out of any IADs, and a plethora of horizontal moves to stuff any command dashes. You can't use his counter to actually counter any of Nu's projectiles, you'll be too far away so you'll get stuffed by a projectile every time. In this match, the Nu player can start by backdashing and throw out a gravity field and your not going to be able to touch her. Nu can stuff anything Hakumen does. At least Tager can sledge through stuff and spark bolt things.

Oh sure, you can beat a Nu player with Hakumen. If they're impatient. Anyone who's Nu who's playing seriously isn't going to lose. Hakumen players will lose because of balance issues. Please don't pretend balance issues don't exist in CT. There's a reason characters were completely changed in CS.
I could see how you would find Nu difficult in this magical fairyland you live in where Hakumen doesn't gain meter and is incapable of mindgames. It also doesn't help that in the aforementioned fairyland, Nu seems to be capable of firing two attacks at once and her swords seem to have become impossibly gigantic.

Hakumen's matchup is strongly in Nu's favour but matchups are only relevant when talking about the absolute best of players. It's not entirely impossible for Hakumen to overcome the matchup difference by simply playing smarter; what's stopping Hakumen from waiting for Nu to screw up? He's certainly got to space himself better and he's got less room to make mistakes, but your assertion that any Nu who loses to Hakumen is a terrible Nu is horse shit. It's just a way of using character balance spreadsheets (designed entirely for extremely high-level play) to compensate for a player's inability to deal with a matchup. You're never going to learn much blaming your problems on character imbalance.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Fugu said:
Is this based on anything? CS differentials are smaller than CT's, and the worst matchups in CS are 65-35. I'll grant that the game's balance isn't perfect, but categorizing it simply as "worse than SSFIV" is not at all accurate.

Was comparing CS to SSF4, not CT. That was the question asked.

Fugu said:
Hakumen's matchup is strongly in Nu's favour but matchups are only relevant when talking about the absolute best of players. It's not entirely impossible for Hakumen to overcome the matchup difference by simply playing smarter; what's stopping Hakumen from waiting for Nu to screw up? He's certainly got to space himself better and he's got less room to make mistakes, but your assertion that any Nu who loses to Hakumen is a terrible Nu is horse shit. It's just a way of using character balance spreadsheets (designed entirely for extremely high-level play) to compensate for a player's inability to deal with a matchup. You're never going to learn much blaming your problems on character imbalance.

Now, lets state for the record that I never said I had problems with this match up. I'm just pointing out that there ARE problems. If someone playing Hakumen plays someone of equal skill who is using a Nu, (or for that matter any other top tier character) the Nu user should win. They have easier setups for more damage with less meter. Its just as simple as that.

In regards to the tier lists, the ones on dustloop take into account all players opinions. Not just people who play it at a high level. Quite literally anyone who has an account can influence the tier lists (This causes a little bit of a ruckus over there every now and again).

And in regards to fairyland. Meter gain is meaningless if you can't touch her. Nu can do everything on reaction against Hakumen. There is quite literally no opening for Hakumen to do anything unless the Nu messes up. You might think to IAD over a full screen standing D, but that isn't something the Nu has to do. Nu can just sit there all day and wait for you to move (move in any way at all) and they can capitalize on it. They just have to wait for you to decide how to get in, and then react to it. If you're beating a Nu with Hakumen it's because they havn't yet realized 'Oh hey, I can just do this'.

But hey, if you have some magical way to get around these issues, please let me know.

Top Bottom