• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

The Take Out Bandit said:
I don't know of any other game where unlockables affect game play or roster, barring stupid boss character unlocks.
Mortal Kombat
Smash
Fighters Megamix

I know there are more, but I'm going to stop there.

EDIT: oh right, TEKKEN. SOUL CALIBUR.

AwakenedCloud said:
I bought the collector's edition yesterday at Gamestop's B2G1, who's a good character to start with?

You mean Calamity Trigger? Not to ruin your party but if you want to wait a little bit longer (less than two weeks), the sequel (Continuum Shift) will come out at $39.99. Pretty sure you can return it since I'm assuming it's used.

If you do want to keep it (still an awesome game), Ragna's the easiest char to use that will give you the best basics... Followed by Jin and Noel. Nu's pretty easy as well.

Volcynika

Shadow Red said:
Tsubaki is a good character to start with. She'll make you feel like you're so awesome at comboing.

He might be referring to the original BlazBlue if he got it at a B2G1 free for Gamestop. And I'm fairly sure there is no CE for Continuum Shift.

Prototype-03 said:
You mean Calamity Trigger? Not to ruin your party but if you want to wait a little bit longer (less than two weeks), the sequel (Continuum Shift) will come out at $39.99. Pretty sure you can return it since I'm assuming it's used.

If you do want to keep it (still an awesome game), Ragna's the easiest char to use that will give you the best basics... Followed by Jin and Noel. Nu's pretty easy as well.

Wow, I never even realized this was the thread for the sequel or that there was a sequel planned at all :lol :lol . I'm still going to hold onto my of CT though b/c I'm sure there's more than enough stuff in it to learn before moving to this new one.

hikarutilmitt said:
Mortal Kombat = Garbage, ZOMG Skittles ninjas!
Smash = We're talking about Fighting Games d00d.
Fighters Megamix

I know there are more, but I'm going to stop there.

EDIT: oh right, TEKKEN. SOUL CALIBUR.

As for FMM, TK, SC have any modern iterations of these games featured unlock retardation? None that I can recall, plus SEGA won't make me a new FMM. :(

Not to mention early on TK characters were just bullshit model swaps with the same move set as the original characters. So the only modern fighter to feature this bullshit was SF4, barring boss unlocks which seems to be standard.. :/

Anyanka

The last Mortal Kombat only had two sub-bosses locked(although they were fair playable characters). The last few Tekkens haven't locked anyone except the banned Jinpachi in DR PS3. Harada said locked characters are a thing of the past.

KanedaGS

1106__500x375_makoto_comiccon.jpg

If any of you guys are going to Comic Con look us up in the console gaming room (17AB) and come play Makoto before she's released into the wild.

KanedaGS said:
1106__500x375_makoto_comiccon.jpg

If any of you guys are going to Comic Con looks us up in the console gaming room (17AB) and come play Makoto before she's released into the wild.

Must not stare. Must not stare. Must not stare. Damn it, I've stared. Furry Suicide Incoming.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Kurtofan said:
I'm interested in this game.
Is this game easy for someone who sucks at fighting game? :(

I'd say harder then SF4 at scrub level, easier at intermediate level and above.

Gravijah

Thinking about renting this on GameFly someday... I won't ever play it online, I just plan on having some fun. Is it meaty enough?

KanedaGS

Gravijah said:
Thinking about renting this on GameFly someday... I won't ever play it online, I just plan on having some fun. Is it meaty enough?

Among the new modes in BlazBlue Continuum Shift is the "Beginner Mode" that pretty much allows you to mash buttons and pull off some amazing combos. As for the meat... The story mode in BBCT could take you somewhere around 30 hours to see the true ending, so expect about the same for BBCS. Not to mention all the other modes as well as the new Legion Mode... It'll keep you busy for quite some time.

vocab

Kurtofan said:
I'm interested in this game.
Is this game easy for someone who sucks at fighting game? :(

I would say yes. I know some people who are beginners at fighting games, and they got the platinum trophy.

Gravijah

KanedaGS said:
Among the new modes in BlazBlue Continuum Shift is the "Beginner Mode" that pretty much allows you to mash buttons and pull off some amazing combos. As for the meat... The story mode in BBCT could take you somewhere around 30 hours to see the true ending, so expect about the same for BBCS. Not to mention all the other modes as well as the new Legion Mode... It'll keep you busy for quite some time.

Story mode? I passed on the original BB... What kind of story mode are we talking?

Gravijah said:
Story mode? I passed on the original BB... What kind of story mode are we talking?
Pretty much standard fighting game story mode with visual novel tossed in between rounds. But the way you progress through the story depends on whether you lose or win the match or how you win. So its like a visual novel with multiple endings, a single "correct" one and the others are mostly joke endings that are usually rather funny or slightly different endings that show something about the characters of the game. Although I suggest you use a FAQ because its pretty difficult to see all the endings if you just try to blindly stumble through it.

Gravijah said:

Never played the story mode but I've just been reading on overviews and stuff. It's pretty complicated and actually makes sense. The creators actually said that they don't add new characters for the sake of adding -- Only when they're needed by the story.

A lot of the "worthless" characters to the storyline got some involvements in CS and the ones that didn't got a HUGE set up for the next game.

edit: oh yeah, this is based on the "true ending." Pretty interesting but not interested enough for me actually play single player -- I just want to play online, lol.

The Take Out Bandit said:
As for FMM, TK, SC have any modern iterations of these games featured unlock retardation? None that I can recall, plus SEGA won't make me a new FMM. :(

Not to mention early on TK characters were just bullshit model swaps with the same move set as the original characters. So the only modern fighter to feature this bullshit was SF4, barring boss unlocks which seems to be standard.. :/

Every SC has required character unlocks beyond like 10 characters. Tekken 5 (non-DR) is only really 1 game ago (along with the 2 revisions) PLUS in Tekken 6 you had to unlock characters in the story mode (where most of the non-gameplay related crap is locked away or not ridiculously time-consuming to get to).

You also didn't specify modern with the games. ;)

vocab

QisTopTier said:
When does a trophy = fighting game abilty to play :lol

It doesn't. The only reason I brought it up is because it just shows how easy it is to pick up this game and get almost everything you want out of it versus something like SFIV.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
vocab said:
It doesn't. The only reason I brought it up is because it just shows how easy it is to pick up this game and get almost everything you want out of it versus something like SFIV.

SF4 trophys was pretty easy it just required you to mash 3p or 3k

only thing that took some effort was challenge mode :lol

Fugu

I have a hard time believing that a beginner to fighting games will be able to clear CS Challenge mode without some serious dedication.

vocab

Fugu said:
I have a hard time believing that a beginner to fighting games will be able to clear CS Challenge mode without some serious dedication.

Well depends on the execution level. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say they are a lot easier than the 1 frame links in SFIV.

cnet128

Banned
So I gave CS Score Attack mode a shot for the first time today... Got to Hakumen with Jin and then gave up in disgust because he was raping me so outrageously I didn't feel like I stood a chance of winning in a million years.

I then looked around online for tips on beating Score Attack and found Beginner Mode Tager mentioned, so I gave that a go. Once I got the hang of the BM controls, he felt hilariously broken and I found myself raping everyone including Hakumen... but then there was Hazama, who was an utter bitch even as Broken Mode Tager, and so I gave up on that too in the end (though I could probably have beaten him if I'd carried on long enough...)

But yeah, I figure if I can't even handle Score Attack Hazama with Broken Mode Tager, my chances of ever unlocking anyone else's Unlimited forms are approximately minus zero. I'll probably cave in and buy the DLC unlock at some point, much though the thought pains me ~_~

...On the bright side, I did at least manage to beat Arcade Mode with Rachel without switching the difficulty down to Normal. =D (Still on single-round mode, but hey, I'm proud of my small victory.)

Fugu

vocab said:
Well depends on the execution level. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say they are a lot easier than the 1 frame links in SFIV.

Fugu said:

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Fugu said:

I know people who aren't what I you will call "good players", but using the "Pause Trick" helps them deal with the hardest Trials/Challenge in fighting games. I bet that will work on BBCS too.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
cnet128 said:
But yeah, I figure if I can't even handle Score Attack Hazama with Broken Mode Tager, my chances of ever unlocking anyone else's Unlimited forms are approximately minus zero. I'll probably cave in and buy the DLC unlock at some point, much though the thought pains me ~_~

Arc wins. Flawless victory.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
vocab said:

Yeah Hazama's strict ass combos and cancel'd hits are a lot easier, I heard carl was pretty easy to use too. :lol

I can't wait to play people who think beginner mode has any chance in a real fight :lol

vocab

QisTopTier said:
Yeah Hazama's strict ass combos and cancel'd hits are a lot easier, I heard carl was pretty easy to use too. :lol

I can't wait to play people who think beginner mode has any chance in a real fight :lol

Do people have the option to use beginner online?

QisTopTier said:
Yeah Hazama's strict ass combos and cancel'd hits are a lot easier, I heard carl was pretty easy to use too.

Awesome. Can't wait to hit some buttons and get big damage with them.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
vocab said:

Awesome. Can't wait to hit some buttons and get big damage with them.

Why wouldn't you be able to use beginner mode online, you can use it in the Arcade version.

Yeah hit them buttons hard!

vocab

QisTopTier said:
Why wouldn't you be able to use beginner mode online, you can use it in the Arcade version.

Yeah hit them buttons hard!

I don't know, I just see it being broken as shit like CVS2 easyism.

vocab said:

What? No... Beginner mode is gimped. The only character that can benefit is Tager, but even then, that means limited combos and no burst.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Score Attack Hazama is nowhere near as bad as Score Attack Ragna from what I've heard. Every time I hear Black Onslaught I get this bulging vein in my forehead...

Fugu

vocab said:
Yes.

You shouldn't. It is a mode so clearly gimped that it should be considered a non-issue for any decent player, and any player who does not consider themselves a "beginner" should not have much trouble with players using it.

And I finally went and preordered it... at Amazon with my first trial month of Prime! Let's see if they can get it into my hands on release day...

Narcosis

hikarutilmitt said:
And I finally went and preordered it... at Amazon with my first trial month of Prime! Let's see if they can get it into my hands on release day...

I just ordered a new arcade stick off Amazon and cancelled the Blaz pre order I tried to make at the same time when I saw that even with their highest shipping option it listed the arrival date 3 days later than Gamestop (and I'm not a fan of Gamestop either).

If it matters I'm a US resident BTW

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
vocab said:

Yeah it's pretty broken, I mean look at all those Japanese match videos that use it in the arcade version.... OH WAIT I SEE 0 :lol

Top Bottom