• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
SAB CA said:
(Still awaiting for my copy to arrive)

So how does the Tutorial mode compare to the holy grail of Tutorials, Virtual Fighter 4 Evo? Will it be explaining footsies, meaties, crossups, etc, or does it just give you a basic idea of how to use this games particular systems?

The disk that came with CT was great, and was probably my favorite part of that release. Happy to hear this apparently carries on the "lower the barrier of entry!" tradition.
Yep. Touches on everything from basic wake ups all the way to advanced stuff. Mixups, rapid canceling, and all that good stuff has its own section. Really good job all around.

The character specific stuff could be a little more fleshed out, but thats really nitpicking...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Urban Scholar said:
Yes, all of this is in there.
DY_nasty said:
Yep. Touches on everything from basic wake ups all the way to advanced stuff. Mixups, rapid canceling, and all that good stuff has its own section. Really good job all around.

The character specific stuff could be a little more fleshed out, but thats really nitpicking...

Awesome, guess I have to make it my mission to get a few "lapsed fighting" friends to buy, maybe they'll actually learn something! :lol

Thanks for the answers! Can't wait to see it all first hand... c'mon UPS!

Prototype-03 said:

Is it easier to do this time around?

I remember trying to learning in CT not too long ago, and her 22C keeps missing on the second try. I am absolutely baffled as to why.

If the tutorial doesn't help me with that, I'm going to switch to Litchi, Tager, Taokaka, or Ragna. Maybe Makoto, but to be frank, her design is embarrassing.

Well, playing an animu fighter is bad enough for me at this point, but Makoto takes it a step too far. Oh well, as long as her moveset clicks with me.

kiunchbb said:
We need someone to test the tutorial mode on people that never touched a fighting game before. No one in my family willing to go near my PS3 =/

I suck at fighting games, I'll let you know how it goes. I'm not a total fighter newbie, though; I think I'll let my little sister, or some of my friends, give it a go.

Edit:

Oh, one of the posters here reminded me; one of the things I love about BB/GG is the freedom of movement. I love how I have so many options in where I place myself. SSFIV feels very, very limited in comparison.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
FlightOfHeaven said:

Edit:

Oh, one of the posters here reminded me; one of the things I love about BB/GG is the freedom of movement. I love how I have so many options in where I place myself. SSFIV feels very, very limited in comparison.

this is why I love KOF as a series (at least the slower KOFs like 98) It has the freedom of movement of BB , but also the structure and mindgames of a SF. I love the happy medium.

BB hopefully ends up a fun game. Tsubaki seems real hard at first glance though. I wish she was better cause I like air diving-type characters.

arstal said:
this is why I love KOF as a series (at least the slower KOFs like 98) It has the freedom of movement of BB , but also the structure and mindgames of a SF. I love the happy medium.

BB hopefully ends up a fun game. Tsubaki seems real hard at first glance though. I wish she was better cause I like air diving-type characters.

Give Ragna or Hazama a go. They both have air diving moves/characteristics.

Tager makes the opponent air dive, on the other hand. :lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
arstal said:

Just use ragna

Kintaro said:
Woof. I forgot how fast this is compared to SSF4.

It's funny that people say the game is slower than sf4 xD

oh and installing lol

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
FlightOfHeaven said:

I remember trying to learning in CT not too long ago, and her 22C keeps missing on the second try. I am absolutely baffled as to why.

The one thing took me a long time to realize is in 3C, 22C, 66C, 22B, 22BC. After 66C, there is slight delay before 22B, after that, all the loop as fast as possible.

kiunchbb said:
The one thing took me a long time to realize is in 3C, 22C, 66C, 22B, 22BC. After 66C, there is slight delay before 22B, after that, all the loop as fast as possible.

Alright, I'll give it one more go, since all I do is madly dash out the commands, as soon as I go home.

Oh, and people say this is slower than SSFIV?

What the fuck? What are they playing? How is it in any way conceivably slower?

WHAT?

faridmon

OK, I think its time to let out what I have in mind about this game (and its predecessor Guilty Gear):

I still haven't got used to the actual game(s), there are few problems and i think (hope) you guys might help me with, and please don't be very technical as that is what drove me outside dustloop forum and whatnot:

- The game feels floaty and I can't seem to control my character as much as I want. It dashes with me not ordering it and it moves slow when I want it to be fast. I just can't have 100% of the charcter.

-The attacks just don't connect with each other. Even with basic combos like normal weak, medium and hard. It won't connect at all. sometimes I do feel i mess up the timing but most of the time it just feels ''unresponsive''. Clearly i playing it wrong.

- when I do connect hits and basic combos, the charecter just don't seem to take much of the health bar against the oponent. I am just hitting him for some time and all those attcks were just scratches. Thereafter, the oponent lets out a single counter and few chained combos and bam, I have half of my health gone.

- In Guilty Gear (also in Blazeblue to a certain degree), I have just problems getting the BEAT and Gatling Combo right. I have tried multiple times in the training room, its just I can' get the exact frams right to perform and chain combos together.

There are more problems, but those are the ones I have in my head at the moment. I feel like the game needs ''once it clicks'' effect and maybe its not for me, I really want(ed) to learn. I don't know if you guys can help me or not, though.

I am really desperate to learn the games :(

Got it. Amazon has been epicly great to me lately. Also it has the worse manual of all time. this thing is literally 3 pages. dude.

oh well, First Inception and now this equals great day

Knux-Future said:
Got it. Amazon has been epicly great to me lately. Also it has the worse manual of all time. this thing is literally 3 pages. dude.

oh well, First Inception and now this equals great day
Bad manual? That's really uncharacteristic of Aksys :(

h3ro

Amazon Prime let me down today. My copy won't be here until tomorrow.

Glad to hear that the Tutorial is exceptional. I never did learn how to do all those air juggles that every character seemed to have, I'd always end up mashing jab in air and getting meaningless 3 hit addons to combos. :lol

Also, icecarz.

DY_nasty

faridmon said:
*scrub problems*

Sounds like you just need to learn the game a bit more. Certain characters can dish out a lot of damage rather quickly, others are much more versatile but their attacks may not be as strong. Also, execution plays a big part. Say you're playing with Noel and you're using her Chain Revolver - you can land a big hit every now and then, but unless you really know the ins and outs of it, you're just flailing and swinging wildly.

Thats what I'm liking about Challenge mode right now. It brushes up on a lot of bread and butter combos that do consistent damage as well as the heavy, lifebar shattering advanced stuff. Most of which is actually practical, unlike SF4's challenge mode... (FADC twice in one combo? really?).

Edit: Yeah, I've seen plane tickets bigger than the manual. :lol Its not a big deal though.

faridmon said:
- The game feels floaty and I can't seem to control my character as much as I want. It dashes with me not ordering it and it moves slow when I want it to be fast. I just can't have 100% of the charcter.

Huh? What are you playing it on, a pad or arcade stick? I know some people have trouble dashing, but that's because they aren't used to double tapping for quick movement. As for moving fast on the ground, that's also a double tap motion. You might need to practice that.

First time I heard of anyone having difficulty with the movement in the way you describe it.

faridmon said:
-The attacks just don't connect with each other. Even with basic combos like normal weak, medium and hard. It won't connect at all. sometimes I do feel i mess up the timing but most of the time it just feels ''unresponsive''. Clearly i playing it wrong.

Er, you are doing something wrong, and I can't imagine what it is. I play most every character with my friends (when we are just messing around) and A, B, C chain together naturally. I honestly don't know what you are doing wrong.

faridmon said:
- when I do connect hits and basic combos, the charecter just don't seem to take much of the health bar against the oponent. I am just hitting him for some time and all those attcks were just scratches. Thereafter, the oponent lets out a single counter and few chained combos and bam, I have half of my health gone.

Who are you using? There are characters that require extended combos to do significant damage, because individual hits don't do that much at all.

See: Noel, Tsubaki, Taokaka, Rachel.

There are other characters who don't require lots of hits to do damage, or simply have a higher damage output per combo compared to the previously mentioned characters.

See: Tager, Bang, Litchi, Hakumen

faridmon said:
- In Guilty Gear (also in Blazeblue to a certain degree), I have just problems getting the BEAT and Gatling Combo right. I have tried multiple times in the training room, its just I can' get the exact frams right to perform and chain combos together.

Frames, in my experience, are not nearly as important in BB/GG, at least not like SSFIV. In many cases it's just pressing the buttons in the correct sequence, never mind the timing.

Honestly, your problems baffle me for the most part. It's like you aren't playing BB at all.

faridmon

FlightOfHeaven said:
Huh? What are you playing it on, a pad or arcade stick? I know some people have trouble dashing, but that's because they aren't used to double tapping for quick movement. As for moving fast on the ground, that's also a double tap motion. You might need to practice that.

First time I heard of anyone having difficulty with the movement in the way you describe it.

Er, you are doing something wrong, and I can't imagine what it is. I play most every character with my friends (when we are just messing around) and A, B, C chain together naturally. I honestly don't know what you are doing wrong.

Who are you using? There are characters that require extended combos to do significant damage, because individual hits don't do that much at all.

See: Noel, Tsubaki, Taokaka, Rachel.

There are other characters who don't require lots of hits to do damage, or simply have a higher damage output per combo compared to the previously mentioned characters.

See: Tager, Bang, Litchi, Hakumen

Frames, in my experience, are not nearly as important in BB/GG, at least not like SSFIV. In many cases it's just pressing the buttons in the correct sequence, never mind the timing.

Honestly, your problems baffle me for the most part. It's like you aren't playing BB at all.
Yeah, I am screwed :/

Noel is my main charcter in BB and Slayer was my main in GG. In GG there were certain attckes you could after the player had a red (or red, i can't remember) and that timing was really challanging to pin it down.

I'll probobly have to play more and more to set my
blind
challange staright or simply get better at it.

If anyone have any advice for a starter, I would love to hear...

faridmon said:
OK, I think its time to let out what I have in mind about this game (and its predecessor Guilty Gear):

I still haven't got used to the actual game(s), there are few problems and i think (hope) you guys might help me with, and please don't be very technical as that is what drove me outside dustloop forum and whatnot:

There are more problems, but those are the ones I have in my head at the moment. I feel like the game needs ''once it clicks'' effect and maybe its not for me, I really want(ed) to learn. I don't know if you guys can help me or not, though.

The whole thing with blazblue and guilty gear is the chaining. The further in a chain the more damage it does so those moves are used to get your chains going into your special attacks and other combos. It's supposed to be unforgiving about screwups.

The controls are the controls. They are slow initial and "moving" and quick movements are meant with the double tap dashing. It helps make it faster and probably won't bother you once you're used to it. It's just a style that they like and chose, not really much you can do about it. It likes quicker more fluid movements usually and thus the faster gameplay than street fighter.

I'm not sure what you mean by not connecting and unresponsive. Moves depending on the type have different delays set into them (like pretty much every fighting game). Weaker attacks respond faster than a heavy hit but remember there are delays.

And I don't know what you mean by BEAT and gattling combo. I'm assuming where you do a bunch of light combos into a distortion drive that goes for a lot of hits?

Sorry, they're not in order. I was only going to respond to one but then I kept going and was too lazy to reorder. :p

faridmon said:

Noel is my main charcter in BB and Slayer was my main in GG. In GG there were certain attckes you could after the player had a red (or red, i can't remember) and that timing was really challanging to pin it down.

blind

What do you mean had a red? When the tension bar got red for a overdrive?

faridmon said:

Are you using the analog stick of your controller? It sounds to me like you might be having execution problems. Try using the D-pad or a joystick (or if you're on 360, you might wanna consider modding your D-pad) for a more accurate input.

Try pressing a button the moment after the attack "connects." This won't hold true for some moves, but it should work for a majority of them.

This has to due with proration. It's a complicated formula, but it pretty much boils down to this: If you start your combo with a weak/fast move, the rest of your combo damage will be scaled down accordingly. You'd need to start your combo with a stronger attack.

See above. Hope that helps you somewhat.

Coeliacus

faridmon said:
If you are getting random dashes and you can't get the timing right for basic combos, you sound like you are mashing them out. Start by doing simple combos as slowly as possible in training mode, then speed up a little at a time until you are hitting them consistently. If it's a long string that you are trying to get down, try breaking it into parts before memorizing the whole thing.

The 'clicking' idea that you have actually happened with me in Guilty Gear, but it took a solid few days in training mode practicing combos. Thankfully Blazblue isn't as demanding most of the time.

faridmon said:

blind

I knew GG up to an intermediate level and I have no idea what you are talking about, sorry.

If you played Noel in CT, though, I can't imagine why you are having difficulty here. She was my main in CT as well.

Zanken said:
If you are getting random dashes and you can't get the timing right for basic combos, you sound like you are mashing them out. Start by doing simple combos as slowly as possible in training mode, then speed up a little at a time until you are hitting them consistently. If it's a long string that you are trying to get down, try breaking it into parts before memorizing the whole thing.

This man knows what he's talking about. I got several combos down this way.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Shipped from amazon, yay.

Also, something random I noticed--The rainy stage that has a reflection doesn't have one for Ragna and Rachel, because they're vampires. Awesome little detail.

DY_nasty said:
Tutorial mode more than makes up for it.

I'm probably going to keep on repeating this along with this chap and others here but this is very true. The game take the time to break it all down for you, its really a matter of if you want to put in the effort for it. As for results well....I'm getting a better feel for my character execution wise.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
FlightOfHeaven said:
Alright, I'll give it one more go, since all I do is madly dash out the commands, as soon as I go home.

Oh, and people say this is slower than SSFIV?

What the fuck? What are they playing? How is it in any way conceivably slower?

WHAT?

That combo is for CS, not CT btw.

In BB, its easier to fly away, longer bigger combo, actually gave you more breathing time to rethink your strategy. Characters are smaller in screen, the stages are bigger, so there are a lot more travel after you push each other away. BB characters move faster, but you see them flying toward you miles away. BB jump land faster, but their jumps are also a lot higher.

Actually, if we look at the frame data, the attacks in BB isn't that much faster, it just have faster travel and a lot more movement.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Story mode question and asking for help:

How the fuck do I beat Hazama with Ragna without his drive!? Is there any good damaging combo I can do with Ragna that DOES NOT REQUIRE Drive? Man, this fight is hard... I also don't know if having the difficulty in hell affects the story mode too.

Volcynika

Finally got my copy!

Though the GameStop employee gutted it. He said he didn't know why he did, didn't check preorders, etc. Spent like five minutes apologizing for it. I didn't care enough to raise some ire, and the disc was pristine anyways.

After updating my PS3 FW and installing it, will play around with it.

Beth Cyra

Got back and turned it on so I could start the install process but then had to leave again so now the PS3 is just chillen running BB. Can wait till I can actually dig into the Tutorial modes later tonight though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Volcynika said:
Finally got my copy!

Though the GameStop employee gutted it. He said he didn't know why he did, didn't check preorders, etc. Spent like five minutes apologizing for it. I didn't care enough to raise some ire, and the disc was pristine anyways.

After updating my PS3 FW and installing it, will play around with it.
It's a little known fact that Gamestop is also a free rental service for Gamestop employees.

SapientWolf said:
It's a little known fact that Gamestop is also a free rental service for Gamestop employees.

Ya, but it came out today so it's unlikely that they got a chance. I would have raised hell just because I hate that shit.

DY_nasty

-DarKaoZ- said:
Story mode question and asking for help:

How the fuck do I beat Hazama with Ragna without his drive!? Is there any good damaging combo I can do with Ragna that DOES NOT REQUIRE Drive? Man, this fight is hard... I also don't know if having the difficulty in hell affects the story mode too.
Pretty sure that difficulty doesn't matter in story mode.

But yeah... thats a bitch of a fight.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dificulty matters for story mode, I just set in on beginer cpu doesn't mean anything to me anyways.

STORY IS MAKING ME LOL In a good way I love it :D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Urban Scholar said:
When in VS. against the CPU you should get a 100% heat gauge bonus for taunting that round. Not sure if it applies to story mode.

You can do Jin's counter distortion, taunt, Astral on the CPU with that.

Top Bottom