• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

LegatoB

Anyone else not seeing anything above a delay of 2 on PSN? For that matter, I've been sitting here at the ranked match connecting display for like a year without any bites. Do I need to do something weird to my router or something to get this game to play nice?

LegatoB said:
Anyone else not seeing anything above a delay of 2 on PSN? For that matter, I've been sitting here at the ranked match connecting display for like a year without any bites. Do I need to do something weird to my router or something to get this game to play nice?
Are you on PS3? What version of the game do you have? NA can't play with Japan until August 5th when they get the Mak patch (US version comes pre-patched to 1.01).

Other than that I haven't heard of any weirdness with online connectivity.

JEKKI

awww man, this game is too hard.

I saw those level 10 combos... @_@

and dang they changed Litchi up so much... nothing works anymore!! >_<

lol I am too old for this game =P

LegatoB

_dementia said:
Are you on PS3? What version of the game do you have? NA can't play with Japan until August 5th when they get the Mak patch (US version comes pre-patched to 1.01).

Well, I would think the "PSN" in my post implies that I'm using it on a PS3, and yeah, the American version. Interesting, I'd figured that Japan would've gotten the patch "early" at the same time as us. Still, I think I should be getting some bites with a nice, green connection. Is Florida really that far in the boonies, relatively speaking?

edit: Also I'm kind of bummed that I'm having to spend the night powering through story mode to get Mu instead of playing the game. I was even ready to pay the damn DLC tax, and yet it's not up for purchase on the PS3 yet!

Kimosabae

Banned
Sadness. I really love the GG characters and Johnny was my fav. I checked some vids of Hazama and the character's gameplay looks interesting, though still thoroughly fruity.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Kimosabae said:
Sadness. I really love the GG characters and Johnny was my fav. I checked some vids of Hazama and the character's gameplay looks interesting, though still thoroughly fruity.
you like johnny? use jin or hakumen

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
U.S. PSN probably gets all the unlock key "DLC" on Thursday. It's been up on XBL since last week, IIRC.

_dementia said:

Interesting. It's not like this on XBL, BTW-- I can play against American players. I am thinking about buying the American version to fully understand the training/challenge stuff, but I guess since I'm getting the American PS3 version tomorrow I can just practice on that anyway. I usually tend to "main" the 360 versions of fighters, but with this game I may be playing on PS3 more. Seems like there is more interest in that version.

I suck at the game and need so much practice, but being a total n00b again is fun. Still like Tager and Lichi, and am liking Mu too. But I don't want to settle on a main until all the characters are available.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yeah, I'm a total trash right now. I thought it was just Tsubaki, but apparently my taint corrupts every character I pick. I'm decent with Noel, but until I re-learn her loop I won't get any better.

I think I might just finish out story mode until I get a feel for the game again. Its transitioning from SF4 to this, I'm just too slow right now. Pinwheeling scrubs in the corner with Juri has left me soft and weak.

Lyte Edge

LegatoB said:
Still, I think I should be getting some bites with a nice, green connection. Is Florida really that far in the boonies, relatively speaking?

Well, keep in mind that a lot of people won't have the game until tomorrow. Are you doing matches for U.S. only or worldwide?

I fucking suck as Hazama. I'm determined to learn him but I just keep messing up with the d-pad <_< It's very frustrating but I'll get used to it. Also: fuuuck. I usually luck out and like/pick nimble characters so getting used to Hazama's poor ground movement is taking a while :lol

I've done Challenges 1-7 for Hazama. Some of those combos took some effort -_- I looked at the Challenge #10 combo...OMG. I'm probably not going to be able to pull that off.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Prototype-03 said:
Give me more credit... HATERS... Thx!

Its hard to give you credit when you don't stick with your old Rachel.....

Join the nerf club, I may still main Noel once I got the game =D

DY_nasty

kiunchbb said:

Noel and Ragna probably have the easiest transition from CT to CS imo... (never played with Tager, so I can't speak for that)

Going from DDDDDDDDD with Nu to Lambda takes a bit of work. I thought beating Story Mode was going to be a one night thing, but its actually pretty good so I don't want to just rush right through it. I'll probably end up spending the MS points for Mu and all the other stuff then focus on maining her.

The shame I've brought to my family in player matches tonight is unforgivable.

kiryogi

Banned
kiunchbb said:

To be fair he actually rotated to Rachel and still proceeded to kick my ass.

Negator

Oh man, I'm a beginner and I'm guessing Hazama was not exactly a good choice for novices :lol

It's going to be a while before I get used to this game coming from Guilty Gear.

d0c_zaius

tutorial is really awesome.

As a long time Arc System fan, its great to not have to comb dustloop to learn the character specific basics.

The new story stuff is pretty entertaining. Noel gets ripped on pretty hard :lol .

DY_nasty

Hazama is not for beginners. :lol

Most of the wins I got online today were from scrub Hazamas who kept slinging themselves into blender.

Lyte Edge

Man, I am losing left and right now. I am a complete scrub now. I always get trapped in these long-ass combo strings that I cannot get out of.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
wsippel said:
Informative, but too heavily focused on competitive play in my opinion. For a fighter with so much effort put into single player, I don't think not even half a sentence about Story Mode is sufficient.

Umm blazblue is heavly designed towards competive play xD the story is there because the creator wanted to create a universe to go with the game :D Guilty gear was the same way

Giolon

Holy crap I can't even beat Ragna's 3rd Challenge.

B+C
hcb + B
hbc + D
B <-----wtf is the timing on this?
srk + D
something
something

That standing B I cannot get to come out at the correct time for the life of me. What the heck is the right timing for that? I feel like I'm playing SF4 all of a sudden.

QisTopTier said:
Umm blazblue is heavly designed towards competive play xD the story is there because the creator wanted to create a universe to go with the game :D Guilty gear was the same way

ArkSys put a significant amount of effort into the Story Mode, and it's actually rather good compared to most fighting games, so I'd say it deserves some sort of attention.

Guilty Gear was not like this.

DY_nasty

BradVanDam said:
I heard the game is pretty good but is REALLY unbalanced.
Thats Calamity Trigger, and even then it was greatly exaggerated.

SF4 had Seth, BB had Nu.

From what I can tell, both have made huge jumps with their newest titles.

vocab

BradVanDam said:
I heard the game is pretty good but is REALLY unbalanced.

If it was really unbalanced, I wouldn't of wasted my money with this game. The community already regards CS as a much better game than CT (a game with very questionable balance), and a balance patch is coming out in 6 months, so it's gonna be a pretty well balanced game by then.

DY_nasty said:
SF4 had Seth

Seth is pretty balanced when you think about it. Biggest tool set, His damage is low to compensate, and if he gets hit a few times, he's pretty much dead. He's not even close to the brokenness that is Gill.

wsippel

Banned
QisTopTier said:
Doesn't change the fact that a review should contain some more information about that rather big and elaborated aspect of the game than "yeah, there's a Story Mode as well". GG has an elaborated scenario, but the story mode is hardly comparable.

Lyte Edge

DY_nasty said:
Thats Calamity Trigger, and even then it was greatly exaggerated.

SF4 had Seth, BB had Nu.

From what I can tell, both have made huge jumps with their newest titles.

LOL wut

BBCT's top top top top tiers were Arakune, Rachel, and Nu IIRC.

I never got that much into BBCT but its balance felt incredibly wack compared to SF4. Yeah Sagat was strong but it didn't feel like he had the advantage those three did. Fighting Rachel with bottom-tier Iron Tager in particular always felt like such a chore.

It's great that Arc has promised to do some balancing later on, but they could have done this with Calamity Trigger. This goes for every company putting out fighting games though. I don't think it's too much to respond to player feedback and do some balancing every few months.

LegatoB

Welp story mode sure was some anime bullshit. But I'm so glad they worked in
OH MY GOD NUCLEAR WEAPONS ARE JUST THE WORST HOW CAN YOU EVEN THINK OF USING THEM EVER
, that's like my all-time favorite eye-roller. Oh, and since
Lambda got killed off in the True End
, I wonder if we're going to see
ANOTHER one of the clone girls
in the next "plot" revision of the game.

At least it's over with now and I can check out robot girl #3.

Lyte Edge said:
Well, keep in mind that a lot of people won't have the game until tomorrow. Are you doing matches for U.S. only or worldwide?
I was searching for custom lobbies with all settings set to "whatever, man," so I was hoping I'd get SOMETHING above 2. I tried playing with a friend earlier, but latency 2 meant I started dropping combos a lot, and one of the other people in the lobby was latency 1 aka don't even bother with OTGs/links. So painful.

My pre ordered copy was set with two day shipping, but it's actually on it's way to my house as we speak.:D

I can't wait to sink my teeth into this game. I want to see how they changed people up and I want to jump into player matches with the quickness.

Beth Cyra

Well I always new I was shit, but it still sucks to have it confirmed haha.

Anyway after spending like 5 hours going through tutorials and all that I finall put it down.

I can't past the third or fourth mission (fairly sure it is third but I am letting the lie go on so I don't feel as bad.) with Tsubaki.

I know she is suppose to be easy at a combo level but damn I really freaking suck.

Throw
Down+Back B
B
Jump Cancel
B
C
Jump C <- This shit gets me everytime, I have a hard time getting a super jump on the first one so I never have enough Hight to finish or that is what it feels like.
C
C
Extra
Extra

Granted I am determined to finish it but for someone that has never really done a combo in a fighting game outside of MK's dial-a-combo's this shit is killing me.

Hyphen

TruePrime said:
...Granted I am determined to finish it but for someone that has never really done a combo in a fighting game outside of MK's dial-a-combo's this shit is killing me.

You'll probably feel amazing when you finally pull it off. And you will.

blackflag

Giolon said:
Holy crap I can't even beat Ragna's 3rd Challenge.

B+C
hcb + B
hbc + D
B <-----wtf is the timing on this?
srk + D
something
something

That standing B I cannot get to come out at the correct time for the life of me. What the heck is the right timing for that? I feel like I'm playing SF4 all of a sudden.

Yep that's where I got stuck. I can combo everything before and after but that kick never connects. I tried a million times and watched the demonstration like 30 times.

FlightOfHeaven said:
ArkSys put a significant amount of effort into the Story Mode, and it's actually rather good compared to most fighting games, so I'd say it deserves some sort of attention.

Guilty Gear was not like this.
Guilty Gear had a large universe with a similar story mode built around it with similar branching paths and such. At least, I though so.

The only one without such a thing was Accent Core, but the story mode returned in Accent Core Plus.

Beth Cyra

_dementia said:
Guilty Gear had a large universe with a similar story mode built around it with similar branching paths and such. At least, I though so.

The only one without such a thing was Accent Core, but the story mode returned in Accent Core Plus.

I didn't know this about GG, I played it and even owned one. XX Reloaded on Xbox actually, but I didn't bother to try and get into the story.

I don't it when they don't dub a game. If I import games from Japan then I am more then fine with in being in Japanese because should be and if I import then I need to be willing to accept that, but for games that I buy when they come to america I want it to be in something I can understand.

Granted I know others like the whole Sub over Dub thing but sadly I am not one of them so I ended up giving up on GG pretty quick.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
wsippel said:
Informative, but too heavily focused on competitive play in my opinion. For a fighter with so much effort put into single player, I don't think not even half a sentence about Story Mode is sufficient.

A competitive player is going to base his review on the competitive side of things.

most FG reviewers on the casual end are pure crap though, with some exceptions (Gamepro's SSFIV review is a good review aimed at casuals- as a counterexample)

That said, after playing a little online, and seeing a bit of the balance firsthand, I'm not feeling this game right now at all. I don't think it's improved enough over CT, and added in a lot more complication- it feels much harder.

I love Arc's effort, Aksys is a great company, I'm just not feeling the game. Maybe I got overhyped. I need my anti-Fersis pills.

Picked this up as a mostly newcomer to the series, knowing I'm never going to be good enough or put in enough time to fully understand the intricacies of the game. But it's a beautiful game, and it's fun to learn the game trial by fire and slowly improving.

Volcynika

Really impressed how they seemingly put a ton of English VA in here. They put a lot of love into the localization (minus the instruction book :p)

Top Bottom