• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

Mjunter said:
I'm still trying to get a grasp of how to play the game before I try any online matches. Just trying to complete combos in training is hard enough, let alone applying them in a real match.

What kind of controller are you using? Just curious.

Fugu

kiunchbb said:
Do anyone beside me, Q, and Proto play in PSN? Every time I go into chat room, they are the only one ever inside.

GGs btw, I need to plan a trip to AI someday, really want to try play this game without lag.
I do. I'm on literally every day.

LegatoB

Since we're mentioning teching advice -- and since I gather the Bandit's playing Tager -- make sure you learn what positions the various directions of tech will leave you in. In the air, if you do a neutral tech, your character will right herself in place and then drop right down to the ground. However, if you do a forward or backward tech roll in the air, you'll pop up about a character body height as you recover. Many characters -- particularly Tager -- can punish this if they know what to do and guess correctly which way their opponent goes. Tager can use his anti-air grab (623C) to suck in and punish forward and backward air techs if the opponent's magnetized. If you want to be really scary, this is something you should learn to watch for.

(Also, be careful if Bang takes you to the corner with his super, and then jabs you as you're falling -- you can recover right after it, sure, but if you air-tech forward and pop yourself up, he can anticipate this and super jump into command throw to put at least 2k more hurt on you!)

Ground techs are also something to watch out for. Tech rolls have a window of vulnerability at the end, where you can be hit but can't block yet. Holding down while pushing a button to get up will cause you to stand up in place, which is a lot faster and you can block out of it a lot sooner. Just keep an eye on what your opponent is doing and try to catch them by surprise.

Thanks.

When I'm in the midst of getting juggled I generally attempt to mash out, and by mash out; just keep wailing on button and direction inputs to tech out.

In the air would D+A be my best option so as to just drop? Or if there's distance between myself and the corner, would I be better off Away from enemy + A to pop away?

Ugh, yeah I need to get the meat and potatoes down before I worry about getting a second character. :lol

Generally I enjoy fighting games enough that when there's more than one to play I just pick one character in each and try to learn all their tricks effectively and win with them.

Fugu

SephirothRK said:
Are you already to PSN chat?

I'm going to be on more often since I had some ranbats matches to do for ssfiv.
I'm not always in it but I am right now, yes.

LegatoB said:
Since we're mentioning teching advice -- and since I gather the Bandit's playing Tager -- make sure you learn what positions the various directions of tech will leave you in. In the air, if you do a neutral tech, your character will right herself in place and then drop right down to the ground. However, if you do a forward or backward tech roll in the air, you'll pop up about a character body height as you recover. Many characters -- particularly Tager -- can punish this if they know what to do and guess correctly which way their opponent goes. Tager can use his anti-air grab (623C) to suck in and punish forward and backward air techs if the opponent's magnetized. If you want to be really scary, this is something you should learn to watch for.

(Also, be careful if Bang takes you to the corner with his super, and then jabs you as you're falling -- you can recover right after it, sure, but if you air-tech forward and pop yourself up, he can anticipate this and super jump into command throw to put at least 2k more hurt on you!)

Ground techs are also something to watch out for. Tech rolls have a window of vulnerability at the end, where you can be hit but can't block yet. Holding down while pushing a button to get up will cause you to stand up in place, which is a lot faster and you can block out of it a lot sooner. Just keep an eye on what your opponent is doing and try to catch them by surprise.
You have to watch out because you're never invincible on a ground tech.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Prototype-03 said:
Technically... But not the best in every situation. If they predict you're going to neutral tech, u're still going to be at a disadvantage. It's kinda like a guessing game.
Most people are always going to expect a backwards tech. I've stopped rolling backwards almost all together now, Hazama's kick has trained me all too good.

DY_nasty said:
Most people are always going to expect a backwards tech. I've stopped rolling backwards almost all together now, Hazama's kick has trained me all too good.

It's not as simple as that either... You can also control where they might want to tech. If I rush someone down while they're down, they may FORWARD tech to get to the other side. If you train them to do that, you can rush down then dash BACKWARDS and puts you at an advantage. Granted, this is a higher level mind game, but at a certain point, you're trying to out think you're opponent just to get the right placement.

ultim8p00

Banned
So I decided to take my Noel on Ranked for a spin and man, Ranked is fucking TERRIBLE.

Everybody you beat rage quits. Every single person I beat today rage quitted. I'm not even exagerating. I think I only lost to some Hakumen player. Everybody disconected.
Fucking pissed me off. Fuck them. Get off the fucking game if you don't want to play. Fucking shitty ass Ragna scrub motherfuckers.

God I wish rage quitting could make your 360 explode.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Man why did this game have to come out at the same time as SC2? I've only done a few characters in story mode and that's it. Pressure's on cause I got Metroid: Other M coming up too. =X

Dresden

ZealousD said:
Man why did this game have to come out at the same time as SC2? I've only done a few characters in story mode and that's it. Pressure's on cause I got Metroid: Other M coming up too. =X
Pretty much the same thing for me. I have about half the story mode 100%, but haven't had the time to really play multiplayer thanks to SC2.

Fugu

ultim8p00 said:
So I decided to take my Noel on Ranked for a spin and man, Ranked is fucking TERRIBLE.

Everybody you beat rage quits. Every single person I beat today rage quitted. I'm not even exagerating. I think I only lost to some Hakumen player. Everybody disconected.
Fucking pissed me off. Fuck them. Get off the fucking game if you don't want to play. Fucking shitty ass Ragna scrub motherfuckers.

God I wish rage quitting could make your 360 explode.
I've had like, 470 wins and ~20 disconnects, so it's not as endemic as it appears from your experience. I find that there are players who disconnect every time they play and then there are players who never disconnect no matter how badly they lose. I've P'd on my fair share of players without them disconnecting and I've had players disconnect after a close round is over simply because they lost.
I really do think it's hilarious when you see a guy on the ranking list with a 90% win ratio... and 276 disconnects.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Mjunter said:
I'm still trying to get a grasp of how to play the game before I try any online matches. Just trying to complete combos in training is hard enough, let alone applying them in a real match.

Based on my experience, just learn some dumbed down combo that do okay damage, then find some real matches against people around your level. It is easier to learn when its fun, and having the positive reinforcement to win, so your execution will improve a lot faster than repeating boring combo against dummy over and over again.

IMO, 3.8k combo isn't really different from a 3.4k combo, once you broke your opponent's defense and read him like a book, you will win regardless of your combo as long as its decent.

It is also important to get some real matches so you know which combo is actually useful, it suck learning a combo knowing that will never be useful.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
My biggest problem was training too much believe it or not.

I spent my first 4-5 days practicing mechanics, working on combos, and running a few test laps against the comp. I might have played 10 or so online player matches before actually this week. Huge mistake.

All that practice was good, but there's no substitute for human comp.

Also, one thing that SSF4 and BBCS have in common is frustrating ranked matches. Player matches and lobbies are where its at. You think its hard to find a room? Make your own - perfect solution. People always come in quickly and you get to control the pace of the matches (by kicking fools).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man. I just beat a Lv. 23 Noel with my Lambda in Ranked. I was only Lv. 6. :lol Not sure how the hell that happened, but my level jumped from 6 to 9.

forgrim

I got the game the past week, and just delved a little bit into lambda's moveset (SC2 taking up majority of my time), but gd, i do the same combos that i generally did with nu and i do half the damage i did. its semi frustrating having to do like 9 combos to defeat my opponents now. I do like her pulsar launches tho, its pretty epikly funny watching ppl fly all over the place before you start your combos.

and the TIMING. dash after throw?? the timing has gotten semi ridiculous on that, i connect 1 out of every 10 dashes after a throw. just so much easier doing a DD after the throw, but the damage on even that got nerfed to oblivion.

i'm having a much easier time with my sub, hakumen.

is the chatroom from CT the same as CS?

So I've been thinking about putting together bi-weekly or monthly tournaments for PSN players.

Not long ridiculous ones like we had before, but instead a tournament that we do all in one night. I'd imagine we'd get around 8-12 people who are actually interested so we could finish them in a few hours with no problems.

The only question is what would be the best day for them? fri, sat, or sun? For me, it would be Sunday night. What do you guys think?

Volcynika

akachan ningen said:
So I've been thinking about putting together bi-weekly or monthly tournaments for PSN players.

Not long ridiculous ones like we had before, but instead a tournament that we do all in one night. I'd imagine we'd get around 8-12 people who are actually interested so we could finish them in a few hours with no problems.

The only question is what would be the best day for them? fri, sat, or sun? For me, it would be Sunday night. What do you guys think?

Sundays would be fine for me, usually back and setting up for the new work week.

akachan ningen said:

Great idea! I'd be fine with Sunday nights, but only after the Mad Men season ends.

After a work week I'd rather not remember I'd like to work more on my scrubby Hazama. Will any of you gentlemen be up for matches this evening? 6-7 EST?

Fugu

mjc said:
I picked up CT and CS...which character is best for a newcomer?
You're going to hit a roadblock at some point regardless of who you play. Just pick a character that you like.

QisTopTier said:
Who ever you like... cause they all play different

This is true, but also a lie. Some characters are much harder to get a grip of than others.

What, are you going to tell him to pick up Carl, Litchi, or Rachel in CT, or Litchi, Hazama, or Rachel in CS?

Why not just tell him to ram his head into a brick wall?

There are easier characters to get used to at the lower levels. Tager is simple, as is Ragna. Jin isn't that difficult, and neither is Bang, Hakumen, Lambda.

Remember that my recommendations are for people looking for characters to start with that'll give them a grip on the game's basic mechanics.

Fugu

FlightOfHeaven said:
This is true, but also a lie. Some characters are much harder to get a grip of than others.

What, are you going to tell him to pick up Carl, Litchi, or Rachel in CT, or Litchi, Hazama, or Rachel in CS?

Why not just tell him to ram his head into a brick wall?

There are easier characters to get used to at the lower levels. Tager is simple, as is Ragna. Jin isn't that difficult, and neither is Bang, Hakumen, Lambda.

Remember that my recommendations are for people looking for characters to start with that'll give them a grip on the game's basic mechanics.
BlazBlue is my first 2D fighting game. I picked up Litchi as my first character (In CT) and yeah it was difficult but it certainly didn't hamper my playing experience. In fact, it forced me to emphasize execution and spacing more because if my combo wasn't as long as a short film, it probably wouldn't do more than 2k. It means it takes longer for you to start winning but you'll probably be better at the game than someone who earns a lot of wins because they can do 3.5k as Ragna but gets stonewalled against any decent player because he has no concept of spacing or mind games.

EDIT: Actually, I'm conflicted. It's easy to forget how insanely frustrating picking up Litchi was when I was newer and how much trouble I continue to have making meaningful advancements to my game. It would avoid a lot of frustration to pick up an easier character; however, BlazBlue isn't the kind of game that lends itself well to people switching characters outright, so it's probably best in the long run just to pick a character that you like.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
if some one say liked carl, no other character can teach them the basics of carl, if a person liked arakune, no other character can teach them the basics of arakune.... and so on.

Fugu said:
BlazBlue is my first 2D fighting game. I picked up Litchi as my first character (In CT) and yeah it was difficult but it certainly didn't hamper my playing experience. In fact, it forced me to emphasize execution and spacing more because if my combo wasn't as long as a short film, it probably wouldn't do more than 2k. It means it takes longer for you to start winning but you'll probably be better at the game than someone who earns a lot of wins because they can do 3.5k as Ragna but gets stonewalled against any decent player because he has no concept of spacing or mind games.

EDIT: Actually, I'm conflicted. It's easy to forget how insanely frustrating picking up Litchi was when I was newer and how much trouble I continue to have making meaningful advancements to my game. It would avoid a lot of frustration to pick up an easier character; however, BlazBlue isn't the kind of game that lends itself well to people switching characters outright, so it's probably best in the long run just to pick a character that you like.

I agree that switching characters is no good, but it wouldn't hurt him to start out with the characters I recommended; if he finds out that he really likes one of them, he'll have an easier path, and if he likes none of them, at least he'll be introduced to the game mechanics in a friendly way.

I would no in way recommend characters like Hazama, Arakune, Carl, Litchi, or Rachel to newcomers. For that matter, people like Noel, Makoto, or Tsubaki are right out as well.

Edit: The reason I recommend characters like Hakumen or Tager is because they have something unique that makes them newbie-friendly. Hakumen has single, powerful strikes and that applies to Hakumen as well. Tager's moves are simple and have obvious applications or advantages, as do Hakumen's.

Ragna and Jin have a decent mix of moves which give you ideas on spacing, character movement, upper/lower body invincibility, and recovery. They have strings which start off on the ground and are good as they are, and can easily lead into arial combos without too much of a leap in execution.

I'm avoiding people like Noel, Tsubaki, Litchi, Lambda and Carl because they require execution heavy extended combo strings which would be difficult to learn from the get go. Same goes for Taokaka, who's single strikes are pitiful.

Remember that if you want someone to be interested in a game, especially a fighting game, they have to see some payoff go with their initial efforts. Yeah, all of them have some difficulty, but there's no reason to throw them to Hazama or Carl and say "Well, you like their design, so figure it out."

I tried that; I started out with Noel. Turns out ever since I went back and tried to learn basic fighting concepts with Ragna, I've been playing much better.

So yeah, starting with Ragna won't teach you Carl. Fine. But there's a much better chance of him latching on to the game and experimenting with everyone if he does start off with Ragna. I know that as soon as I get a better handle on Ragna, I'll be moving to Makoto, Tager, Hakumen or Taokaka. Heaven knows that they don't play like each other at all, but Ragna will have given me fundamentals that I can carry over to most anyone.

When I say fundamentals, I mean it; stuff like buffering 236 during Ragna's standing C to enable 236A to land as a chain. Now I am better able to buffer movements during other moves that require it, like Tager's 41236D into 623C.

Takuan

I'd like to join in on the PSN romps. This is my first BlazBlue game, but I played a little bit of the Guilty Gear games so I'm not completely foreign to the style here, minus the high-level execution and techniques.

PSN: SteakJuice

In CT, I started with Carl and it went pretty badly. It wouldn't be a bad idea to acclimate yourself to the game's engine with an easy character before experimenting.

Fugu

FlightOfHeaven said:
I agree that switching characters is no good, but it wouldn't hurt him to start out with the characters I recommended; if he finds out that he really likes one of them, he'll have an easier path, and if he likes none of them, at least he'll be introduced to the game mechanics in a friendly way.

I would no in way recommend characters like Hazama, Arakune, Carl, Litchi, or Rachel to newcomers. For that matter, people like Noel, Makoto, or Tsubaki are right out as well.
Well, it'll hurt him because it'll be more difficult to learn as a character you don't really want to play. As well, there's not a whole lot of non-character specific knowledge that is necessarily more difficult to learn even as Litchi/Carl/whatever.
Every character has a unique secondary element. Ragna has regenerating health, Jin has freeze; both of these aren't really game-changers by themselves. Carl has a robot, Litchi has a staff that changes her moveset and has to be in the right place to be useful; these are game-changers. However, none of these things impede your ability to learn the basics universal to all characters (how to poke, how to kara throw, when to barrier, where to tech, et cetera), so insofar as learning the universal basics, it doesn't really matter what character you pick. However, considering winning at BlazBlue depends largely on your ability to master your character's secondary element, it means you're going to have to work a lot harder to get to the point where you can win.

Having said that, I think you should pick whatever character you want but keep in mind that if you pick a character with a harder learning curve (Carl, Litchi, Rachel) then it's going to be longer and require more work before you start winning.

Fugu said:
Reasonableness

Having said that, I think you should pick whatever character you want but keep in mind that if you pick a character with a harder learning curve (Carl, Litchi, Rachel) then it's going to be longer and require more work before you start winning.

I can agree with this.

I would like to point out that I did offer like half the cast to start with, so that should give them plenty of variety. I'm not saying that they have to, or even should start with Ragna or Jin. Simply that there are options that they should check out first before diving into "this character looks cool"

Fugu

FlightOfHeaven said:
I can agree with this.

I would like to point out that I did offer like half the cast to start with, so that should give them plenty of variety. I'm not saying that they have to, or even should start with Ragna or Jin. Simply that there are options that they should check out first before diving into "this character looks cool"
For sure. "Carl looks nice" will quickly become "WHY CAN'T I MOVE THE ROBOT LIKE THAT" and any prospective Carl player should be considerate of that.

Novid

Banned
Had another good online day - i was on fire with hakuman, lotus all fuckin day even when I thought i miss it hit. Also my connection was around 1 instead of zero (but i didnt set it up to be acurate so its really between a 3 and a 4 but it shows on ssf4 a 3, tekken between 1 2 and 3, and bbcs a 0 to 2) but i got lagged from somebody that had a wireless connection right next to a ps3. the other wireless connections i had no problems with and hes at a 3. I blame the heat ...

so yeah here is finally my psn nick - it the same as my handle here. always have been.:lol

Novid

Banned
Fugu said:
For sure. "Carl looks nice" will quickly become "WHY CAN'T I MOVE THE ROBOT LIKE THAT" and any prospective Carl player should be considerate of that.

Of course, i could move the robot like that.

Problem is outside of steel lady - he is worse than rachel (and I cant belive somebody chose carl over rachel in the tourny - moe hatin is just bullshit when you can use frogs, bats, cats and whole sorts of tricks - but carl only have 2 robots and one can be shut down once hit a couple of times...err take the moe.):lol

Giolon

Yay! My Noel Nendoroid showed up this morning! She's now officiating for my Super Desk Fighter matches:

NoelNendo.jpg

I didn't pick one up when I was at AX and somewhat regretted it. I'm glad Aksys was able to put a number of them up online.

Novid said:
Of course, i could move the robot like that.

Problem is outside of steel lady - he is worse than rachel (and I cant belive somebody chose carl over rachel in the tourny - moe hatin is just bullshit when you can use frogs, bats, cats and whole sorts of tricks - but carl only have 2 robots and one can be shut down once hit a couple of times...err take the moe.):lol

Saying that Carl is bad without the robot is kind of stupid since the whole point is to attack with him and the robot in tandem.

Also Carl is high tier. Rachel is low tier. That is why people choose Carl over Rachel. Getting hit isn't nearly as bad now that most combos do around 3-4k instead of 5-6k. Bursts are also less retarded, and the Guard Primer system helps. A good Carl is capable of forever keeping the opponent between him and Nirvana, and getting lots of nice resets for high damage.

Yeah Nirvana can be shut down when hit a few times. There is no reason for that to happen often since attacking her leaves you open for Carl to counter attack you, and her battery recharges quickly.

It almost sounds like you are seriously saying that Rachel is better than Carl. If that is the case then you have a poor understanding of this game.

Giolon said:
Yay! My Noel Nendoroid showed up this morning! She's now officiating for my Super Desk Fighter matches:

NoelNendo.jpg

I didn't pick one up when I was at AX and somewhat regretted it. I'm glad Aksys was able to put a number of them up online.

Nice...yeah I picked up a couple at AX and showed off my pics on Aksys fb. Would like some more for my buddies but they've been sold out ever since.

Top Bottom