• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

Dexa

Banned
omg - what happened to player lobbies. running games get influenced by joining players??
"xyz joined" -> huge lag spike which continues over the whole set. seen it two times in a row now :(

Fugu

Papercuts said:
AC after gadget finger can work if you just do it because your think they'll throw, you do get magnetized from it. It's a three way mixup but most online tagers just throw anyway.
That presumes that he lands the gadget finger though, and he only lands the gadget finger when he 360s. Considering he was literally 360ing repeatedly (doing the throw animation regardless of whether or not I was there) he almost never landed it so it never became a problem. If he had an actual strategy then AC after gadget to discourage jumpouts would be a problem, but he didn't have a strategy; he had a move.

Coeliacus

Nose Master said:
So mashing 3C during the belial won't cancel it or anything, right? (For the sweep followup) :lol
Nah that wouldn't do it.

Nose Master said:
That said, why would the height matter for the ID? I delay the wall bounce, but, that makes it so you can hit them with 5B when they're almost at the ground after the wall bounce. To change the height for the belial, I'd have to hit the 5b sooner or later, I assume.
It means their lower when you hit them with 5b, 6a so you are high enough to get the belial. Most air combos from 6a require a super jump cancel from Ragna to do this at the correct height. In general, comboing off the wallbounce is really annoying. Sometimes you just do straight 6a, slight dash 6a, 5b, slight dash 5b. Sometimes when I just cbf trying to figure out I follow with a straight 5b, D infernal divider.

On the topic of tager magnatism, predictable use of it makes for some funky angled uppercuts. :lol

Did a few more characters in story mode last night. Feel a bit sorry for Carl and Arakune now. Relius is a great bad guy.

LegatoB

Fugu said:
That presumes that he lands the gadget finger though, and he only lands the gadget finger when he 360s. Considering he was literally 360ing repeatedly (doing the throw animation regardless of whether or not I was there) he almost never landed it so it never became a problem. If he had an actual strategy then AC after gadget to discourage jumpouts would be a problem, but he didn't have a strategy; he had a move.
See, I thought you meant that he was just 360ing after landing Gadget Finger every single time, not standing across the screen doing it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I really hate playing against Tsubaki and Hakumen online. Tsubaki because everyone who plays her only knows ONE combo (you know the one) and Hakumen because C C C C C C C C C C C C C HAKUMEN WIN.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Seraphis Cain said:
I really hate playing against Tsubaki and Hakumen online. Tsubaki because everyone who plays her only knows ONE combo (you know the one) and Hakumen because C C C C C C C C C C C C C HAKUMEN WIN.
Hakumen is free online. I may have played 1 good one so far. Spend a good day or so emphasizing blocking and general defense and you'd be surprised how much it'll do for your overall game. No more counter counter counter counter counter fatal counter stuff going on. Most of the players who spam C with Hakumen have no concept of recovery time and just swing that stick like its their only hope of getting home alive. No matter how you play your game or who you play with, you can deal with them with patience and attacking wisely.

Block. Space. Mind games.

As for Tscrubaki, same thing applies to the free horde. B~B, 2B~B, C~C... Instant block/instant barrier block, rack up heat or just punish.

Tomorrow I'm going to work on my pressure strings with Lambda around the clock... I play too aggressive with her to not be practicing it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, "Revolver Action" is the Blazblue term for links that are similar to Street Fighter 4's?

However, doing the actual "revolver action" (A->B->C->D) makes an easy link combo in comparison to SSF4's.

Seems easier to pull off an ABCD than something like CLK CLK CHK in Street 4.

Really can't wait for the trials that want you to link while hitting the opponent (AKA: Street 4's trials) as I'm horrible with timing during attacks. :(

zlatko

Banned
I haven't touched this game in like a week or so. I've been so zeroed in on getting a new PC and learning Starcraft 2 stuff so when I get the PC I won't be a total nub on playing the campaign.

I feel bad because with CT I put in at least 2 months worth of play time into it non stop, but this game just isn't pulling me in. I really want a patch for the online ASAP, but that's a fools wish, because I'm sure useless DLC crap will come before a patch would.

I think I'll def. jump back on when Valk is released, because he's a bad ass tea serving butla!

DY_nasty

TheSeks said:
So, "Revolver Action" is the Blazblue term for links that are similar to Street Fighter 4's?

However, doing the actual "revolver action" (A->B->C->D) makes an easy link combo in comparison to SSF4's.

Seems easier to pull off an ABCD than something like CLK CLK CHK in Street 4.

Really can't wait for the trials that want you to link while hitting the opponent (AKA: Street 4's trials) as I'm horrible with timing during attacks. :(
Linking in BB is nowhere near as difficult and strict as SSF4.

TheSeks said:

Nope. They're chains, not links. You don't even have to time them or press the buttons accurately. for example, with ragna you can press A, B, CC, DDD hcbf D and get the combo. :p

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
zlatko said:
I haven't touched this game in like a week or so. I've been so zeroed in on getting a new PC and learning Starcraft 2 stuff so when I get the PC I won't be a total nub on playing the campaign.

I feel bad because with CT I put in at least 2 months worth of play time into it non stop, but this game just isn't pulling me in. I really want a patch for the online ASAP, but that's a fools wish, because I'm sure useless DLC crap will come before a patch would.

I think I'll def. jump back on when Valk is released, because he's a bad ass tea serving butla!

I'm the same way. The game is just sitting on my shelf while I play other stuff instead.

xero273 said:
tsubaki unlimited form :(

honestly, i feel like one of the changes for the "normal" version of tsubaki is gonna be the action charge... she kinda needs it... after a 0 level bnb, she'd have one stock and keep a semi pressure. That, along with maybe 500-1k dmg boost from 0 level bnb, she'd be perfect.

DY_nasty

QisTopTier said:
Eh makoto has some strict ass shit o_O
She's got a bit of difficulty to her but its nowhere near even the simplest links in SSF4. That game made me hate myself. Never seen offense punished so much in a fighting game...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
DY_nasty said:
She's got a bit of difficulty to her but its nowhere near even the simplest links in SSF4. That game made me hate myself. Never seen offense punished so much in a fighting game...

actually I think you just suck ass at ssf4 that game is honestly not that hard -.- it's all about rhythm for a lot of the links. Unless you are telling me for instance rufus

dive kick, lk x2, hp, galatic tornado, ultra is some kinda amazingly hard combo

or ryus down mp x2 is hard

or down lk, down lp, down mp is all hard

it's all rhythm

DY_nasty

QisTopTier said:
actually I think you just suck ass at ssf4 that game is honestly not that hard -.- it's all about rhythm for a lot of the links. Unless you are telling me for instance rufus

it's all rhythm
I was better at SSF4 than BB. Played a couple of tournaments, but holy fuck that game frustrated the hell out of me at times. I mained Juri and the fact that I had to even time my releases perfect made me want to kick small animals. She had probably some of the easiest combos in the game but even then they were several degrees more difficult than almost everything in BB. It was never the input so much as it was the actual links themselves.

c.lk x 3 > EX pinwheel was a bitch for no reason.

It took a degree of practice in SF to just link 3 'jabs'. Who can't mash 5a 3 times in a row in BB and not have it register as a combo?

DY_nasty said:
I was better at SSF4 than BB. Played a couple of tournaments, but holy fuck that game frustrated the hell out of me at times. I mained Juri and the fact that I had to even time my releases perfect made me want to kick small animals. She had probably some of the easiest combos in the game but even then they were several degrees more difficult than almost everything in BB. It was never the input so much as it was the actual links themselves.

c.lk x 3 > EX pinwheel was a bitch for no reason.

It took a degree of practice in SF to just link 3 'jabs'. Who can't mash 5a 3 times in a row in BB and not have it register as a combo?

My layman's way of describing this is the difference between orchestral and jazz music. BB feels more like Jazz. :X

QisTopTier said:

it's all rhythm

Yeah, but how do you learn the rhythm? You pretty much have to keep doing the combo over and over and over until you happen to stumble upon the correct timing. What kind of shit learning method is that?

It as if someone threw me a bunch of notes without noting anything else about them other than what key they represent. Is this a whole note? Half? Fuck, what's the beat?

Dexa

Banned
It as if someone threw me a bunch of notes without noting anything else about them other than what key they represent. Is this a whole note? Half? Fuck, what's the beat?
and thats why they need to add a proper tutorial/practice mode to fgs ... its not rocket science anymore to program a set input display with a timing indicator :|

DY_nasty

Dexa said:
and thats why they need to add a proper tutorial/practice mode to fgs ... its not rocket science anymore to program a set input display with a timing indicator :|
The thing is, SSF4 did have a timing indicator to a degree. If you look closely, you'll notice a sort of wave moving through the opponents lifebar whenever you connect with an attack. Once that wave hits the end of the bar, then you're supposed to hit your input and continue your combo.

It was still ridiculously strict though and a good amount of practice time is necessary.

Fugu

QisTopTier said:

it's all rhythm
Execution is quite easy after you know how to do it. I'm not sure what your point is.

TheSeks

Ugh. Intermediate Tutorials are doing my head in.

"Rapid Cancel."

Set a button for ABC macro as it's easier than trying to hit ABC on the DS3 (IMO) at the same time.

B->C->214A->RAPID CANCEL(ABC)->B->C->214A->214D finisher.

I keep fucking screwing up the 214A at the start. If I get it (3 heat) I screw up the rapid cancel into B by 214 preparing something else.

Fucking floundering myself over these combos. That's why I'm so horrible at fighting games, because I can not pull off "required" combos like this without looking like a spazz doing it.

(Closest I've gotten is 5 heat with a B->C->214A->ABC->B->C->214B! NO SHIT A! A! GODDAMN IT!)

Ugh. :(

DY_nasty

TheSeks said:

"Rapid Cancel."

Set a button for ABC macro as it's easier than trying to hit ABC on the DS3 (IMO) at the same time.

I keep fucking screwing up the 214A at the start. If I get it (3 heat) I screw up the rapid cancel into B by 214 preparing something else.

Fucking floundering myself over these combos. That's why I'm so horrible at fighting games, because I can not pull off "required" combos like this without looking like a spazz doing it.

(Closest I've gotten is 5 heat with a B->C->214A->ABC->B->C->214B! NO SHIT A! A! GODDAMN IT!)

Don't worry. Rachel is quite a bitch, but its intermediate stuff. No need to beat yourself up over something that 75% of players don't use. You may even want to try heading into the character specific tutorials and work towards picking a main, or a character that suits your playstyle the best.

TheSeks said:

"Rapid Cancel."

Baby steps.

Just keep practicing the parts leading up to the combo, and introduce a new input when you're ready.

It's is tedious, but it's part of learning.

However this is why I feel it's futile for developers to chase the casual demographic. Sooner or later you're going to hit a wall, especially with fighting games where a lot of the game is in execution. :\

Fugu said:
Execution is quite easy after you know how to do it. I'm not sure what your point is.

Yeah, after you know how to do it. And playing Fur Elise is a cinch after I learned how. The bitch is getting to learn the combo in the first place. I can't imagine learning a song without knowing the time signature, the length of the notes, or being able to even hear the song.

Expecting someone to learn the timing of a combo through attention to minute detail like the dust being kicked up by a character's feet is ridiculous, too. There must be an easier way to get people into a game like Street Fighter, which is why I like BB's system so far. It's far better than SSFIV, even if it isn't perfect.

DY_nasty said:
The thing is, SSF4 did have a timing indicator to a degree. If you look closely, you'll notice a sort of wave moving through the opponents lifebar whenever you connect with an attack. Once that wave hits the end of the bar, then you're supposed to hit your input and continue your combo.

It was still ridiculously strict though and a good amount of practice time is necessary.

That's a lie, lat time I checked. That wave is random, I remember that discussion in the SSFIV thread.

TheSeks said:

Hang in there. The tutorial gave me such a headache at some point, but it was worth it to learn the underlying mechanics. Dash Canceling was such a pain in the ass.

TheSeks

The Take Out Bandit said:
Baby steps.

Just keep practicing the parts leading up to the combo, and introduce a new input when you're ready.

It's is tedious, but it's part of learning.

However this is why I feel it's futile for developers to chase the casual demographic. Sooner or later you're going to hit a wall, especially with fighting games where a lot of the game is in execution. :\

Well, I can execute the moves (specials and normals) it's just putting them into a combo that's an issue. I'm horrible with linking things into other things.

It's partially why I don't play fighters online, because I know I am no where near on the level that most of the playerbase will be and be easily destroyed. :lol

DY_nasty said:
Don't worry. Rachel is quite a bitch, but its intermediate stuff. No need to beat yourself up over something that 75% of players don't use. You may even want to try heading into the character specific tutorials and work towards picking a main, or a character that suits your playstyle the best.

Eh, I'm just trying to learn the systems and all that behind it. The tutorials are a good thing, it's just really wordy and not very much on "do this." (It does provide an example and shows you the gist, which is nice...) It kinda throws you into the deep end a little. But it's better than SSF4's "Here's a practice mode. Go wild and then go into challenge mode and hope for the best."

FlightOfHeaven said:
Hang in there. The tutorial gave me such a headache at some point, but it was worth it to learn the underlying mechanics. Dash Canceling was such a pain in the ass.

Dash canceling into an attack that hit isn't really practical (from what I read) but pulling it off didn't seem that hard in the tutorial. Maybe I gotta get into something like "214A->Dash Cancel->63214B" before I know.

DY_nasty

FlightOfHeaven said:
That's a lie, lat time I checked. That wave is random, I remember that discussion in the SSFIV thread.
:lol

More rage if true.

TheSeks said:
Well, I can execute the moves (specials and normals) it's just putting them into a combo that's an issue. I'm horrible with linking things into other things.

It's partially why I don't play fighters online, because I know I am no where near on the level that most of the playerbase will be and be easily destroyed. :lol

Just have fun.

I get decimated online plenty; but when I look on the leaderboards I'm reminded that I'm better than at the game than at least 10,000 other suckers. :lol :lol :lol

Coeliacus

You sure its random? I thought it was just the exact same timing regardless of how big a link was. It doesn't really matter, visual cues don't help that much when it comes to timing intervals that short. You just have to practise.

I finished the story mode last night. My reaction was basically... 'wat?'
Going to totally just shut my brain off now and be entertained by the character interaction. Tsubaki is officially the character that's just gonna cop crap in every story she is in (wielding a weapon that makes you blind will do that). Her part in Hakumen's story made me go DAAAAW though. :lol

Before going to bed I spent half an hour on the Ragna challenges, and got up to 8 or 9... whichever one was the blood kain combo. I'll finish them tonight.

I've got the videos from a local ranbat tournament from a weekend before last uploading right now. Not sure if anybody would be interested in Aussie play. I'm in one game, but I got absolutely gutted by a brutal Carl who ended up winning it. I swear I only play this terrible in recorded matchs. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9AB692F20754A22B

BishopLamont said:
Does anyone know if the PC version of BlazBlue have a story mode?
I'm sure it will.

Fugu

FlightOfHeaven said:

Yeah, after you know how to do it. And playing Fur Elise is a cinch after I learned how. The bitch is getting to learn the combo in the first place. I can't imagine learning a song without knowing the time signature, the length of the notes, or being able to even hear the song.

Expecting someone to learn the timing of a combo through attention to minute detail like the dust being kicked up by a character's feet is ridiculous, too. There must be an easier way to get people into a game like Street Fighter, which is why I like BB's system so far. It's far better than SSFIV, even if it isn't perfect.
I'm on the same side as you. I think it's ridiculous to argue that something is easy to do after you do it because what makes something difficult is the work involved in becoming capable of doing something.

Steaks

Haha holy shit I got owned so hard on stream last night. That's what I get for not researching a low tier character properly.

Top 4 ain't bad though.

Lord Knight was pretty nice with that 30 dollar sake at the restaurant afterwords at least.

Fugu said:
I'm on the same side as you. I think it's ridiculous to argue that something is easy to do after you do it because what makes something difficult is the work involved in becoming capable of doing something.

Oh

I am dumb.

ArjanN

BishopLamont said:
Does anyone know if the PC version of BlazBlue have a story mode?

website%20BlazBlue%20PC%20Screen.png

See bullet point five.

The PC version has everything the console version has including the (free) DLC.

Apparantly the game is already being sold in europe here and there even though the official release is on friday.

Q8D3vil

it sucks that they are releasing CT for pc.
they should release CS pc with console version in euro but that never going to happen.

anyway, i read in nvidia vision forums that the game looks amazing in 3d :D

Coeliacus

Top Bottom