• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

_dementia said:
The easiest character to start with is Ragna. He is also pretty high tier, so if you choose to stick with him, he's more than tourney viable.

Ragna IS a good starting point if you were just learning the game... But looking at your game history, you don't NEED to. Just play the character you want to play. You have to relearn everything if you force yourself to play Ragna and later decided that you want to learn someone else. Also, from the first BBCS2 loke test, Ragna is getting the Rachel treatment (went from one of the highest tiers to almost useless) so he might be changing a lot.

Steaks

Makoto plays almost exactly like Jam.

Litchi plays like a bastardized Urien. She resembles Millia but without speed and with better pokes due to her rushdown style.

Lambda plays more like Axl does, while Hazama plays closer to bridget (good range, really high mobility).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Prototype-03 said:
NOOOO... don't make him do that. I mean, he's hard to beat, but I've gotten out of his pressure before. BB REALLY plays differently with each character. Can't really play with just basics alone.

Yeah, I'm not the best measure of Q's game, as I'm pretty "free" to everyone. :lol Suffice it to say, I got my shit wrecked and hard by Q and couldn't get out of his pressure because he wouldn't let up. :(

I don't think there is a good Chipp replacement in BB. At least I didn't find one that was similar to the way I played Chipp. Maybe Makoto, but that's about it?

fubarduck

gutabo said:
Ok, I want to get started on this game. I have not played BB:CT. I have played all forms of street fighter, tekken, mortal combat, etc etc including all guilty gears. Anyone can give me a place to start?

Lastly, a question: I used Zappa in GG(amongst many others), is Carl similar to Zappa with dog ghost? Thanks in advance!

I used Zappa in GG. When I learned BB:CT, I tried Arakune first and then Carl. I feel like Arakune is more similar to "Zappa with Ghosts" and Carl is more similar to "Zappa with Dog". I like "Zappa with Dog" a lot more, so I stuck with Carl. Still using him in BB:CS!

gutabo

Wow, thanks for the fast replies!

I used Venom, Zappa, Testament, Potemkin, Johnny and Sol decently(I pwned my friends locally for what it's worth) and a little bit of Dizzy, Eddie and Abba. I'm trying to find a character similar to one of those in BB to use like an anchor and my guess is that Carl/Arakune are going to be it, and then when I'm way more into BB I'll use other chars too.

I guess the only thing that's different from GG are the throws and the different meters, right? Question: most of the peeps here play it on 360 or in PS3?(I find XBL way better but I might bite on PSN if the comp is bigger/better there). I'm reading dustloop.com too, here's hoping I can play with you guys soon!

Dresden

gutabo said:

I used Venom, Zappa, Testament, Potemkin, Johnny and Sol decently(I pwned my friends locally for what it's worth) and a little bit of Dizzy, Eddie and Abba. I'm trying to find a character similar to one of those in BB to use like an anchor and my guess is that Carl/Arakune are going to be it, and then when I'm way more into BB I'll use other chars too.

I guess the only thing that's different from GG are the throws and the different meters, right? Question: most of the peeps here play it on 360 or in PS3?(I find XBL way better but I might bite on PSN if the comp is bigger/better there). I'm reading dustloop.com too, here's hoping I can play with you guys soon!
360 community is smaller and kind of dead online.

No idea about the PS3 situation, although all signs point towards them having more people.

gutabo said:

PS3 is definitely not dead... I have nightly games with Q... Sometimes with Kiunch (but he's currently banned and wishes he can post right now). I've been playing with more ppl lately though... Played with Ronin yesterday and a DLer.

Fugu

I'm on the PS3 version almost every night as well, although I took a break recently because I was playing so much that I actually started getting worse (I don't really know how this works).

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It sucks because Mu is the closest to Venom (and she's really not that close to Venom).

:(

360 lobby going up in a few, lets knock the rust off and pretend that Reach hasn't ruined our inputs afterwards.

ApolloJoh

I'm on PS3 and still play often too. I'm gonna stick to player matches (Got 50 and ranked's pretty boring) so anyone can just randomly invite me and I'll most likely join, unless I'm playing Brotherhood beta (which is pretty fun, surprisingly) with some friends of mine.

TheSeks said:
THE WHEEL OF FATE IS TURNING...

REBEL ONE...

ACTION!

(Makoto/Q backdash, forward dash and begin attack. Attack connects)
(Makoto unleashes the fucking fury, BOUNCE! WALL BOUNCE! WALL BOUNCE! WALL BOUNCE TO THE EDGE OF STAGE! BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE!)
"STOP HITTING ME DADDY! STOP HITTING ME DADDY! :("
(Try to wake up, only to have Makoto bounce you again. Get thrown in the air, try to get out with wake-up, doesn't happen. Burst. Makoto thrown across the screen only to piss Q off and go back to being bounced)

16 times was my experience. Just geez. :/

I mean I'm sitting there holding block and just being hit with no recovery. I'm not sure if it was lag or hitstun but it was insane.
I'm not even sure what to say about this haha. I'd like to give it a shot but we're still stuck in the stone age console platforms without cross platform game play. I can't imagine losing this badly though.
DY_nasty said:
I haven't played for almost a month now :/

Haven't even got the patch yet. I was waiting for either you or Papercuts to play again but all I see now is "REACH: Matchmaking" :lol

Tomorrow I'll start a rust lobby
GAF is the only forum on Earth where people won't send a message to the people on their friend lists.:lol :lol :lol

I'm available most of the time and I might even be able to convince my cousin to join the action. I never play BB because no one is ever on. I'm also going to give a warning ahead of time. I'll probably play just a couple of player matches as a quickie so that I won't annoy as much. If you want to continue playing then just drop an invite.

Your lambda has improved a lot. *thumbs up*

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Where all these people come from?

Tournament doesn't have to take place in only one day. It can last days or weeks for all I care.

I'd just like a good amount of people playing. Community needs to thrive.

TheSeks

SolarPowered said:
I'm not even sure what to say about this haha. I'd like to give it a shot but we're still stuck in the stone age console platforms without cross platform game play. I can't imagine losing this badly though.

Well, I'm not that great a fighter. Just as PS3 SSF4 GAF. :lol Let me just say I didn't expect to be a punching bag for Q. I'm like "Doo-dee-doo... oh, you want to fight? Okay... WHOAMG!" :lol

Kadey said:

Whiff of an arcade stick for winning
:(
brought them out. :lol

TheSeks said:
Well, I'm not that great a fighter. Just as PS3 SSF4 GAF. :lol Let me just say I didn't expect to be a punching bag for Q. I'm like "Doo-dee-doo... oh, you want to fight? Okay... WHOAMG!" :lol
I may consider getting the PS3 version next time around if the 360 scene doesn't improve. I'm sure that I'll be able to hold my own. :)
Kadey said:

Tournament doesn't have to take place in only one day. It can last days or weeks for all I care.

I'd just like a good amount of people playing. Community needs to thrive.
Hey, it takes more than half a dozen people to make it to 4,000 posts. :p

TheSeks

Okay, yeah... I suck at fighters. I can't seem to pull off this fatal counter combo Rachel wants me to do in the tutorial.

2C->5D/D (both hit)->66(dash cancel)5DD(both hit)->66(dashcancel)5DD(bothhit)

I can dash cancel but it comes out as 2C->5D/D->66DD (ragna spins) and throws a wrench into it) trying to slow down the dash cancel doesn't let me perform the standing DD move in time. *siiiigh*

TheSeks said:
Okay, yeah... I suck at fighters. I can't seem to pull off this fatal counter combo Rachel wants me to do in the tutorial.

2C->5D/D (both hit)->66(dash cancel)5DD(both hit)->66(dashcancel)5DD(bothhit)

I can dash cancel but it comes out as 2C->5D/D->66DD (ragna spins) and throws a wrench into it) trying to slow down the dash cancel doesn't let me perform the standing DD move in time. *siiiigh*

I haven't done this trial, but I *THINK* what you're missing is that you need to cancel the 2nd part of the 5DD as soon as possible... as in, as soon as it hits, cancel into DC.

edit: never use this combo in a real match... there's really no point in it when you can do stupid belial edge combos off of that.

TheSeks

Prototype-03 said:
I haven't done this trial, but I *THINK* what you're missing is that you need to cancel the 2nd part of the 5DD as soon as possible... as in, as soon as it hits, cancel into DC.

edit: never use this combo in a real match... there's really no point in it when you can do stupid belial edge combos off of that.

The "show me" function shows it as:

Ranga dashes to Bang. 2C->5DD->Dash forward a bit/Bang's in air->5DD (hits bang in the air/resets)->Dash foward a bit/Bang's in the air still->5DD (hits Bang in the air and from the middle to the stage we're at the edge)

It's doing my head in trying to land the dash cancels for the standing 5DD's AND have the hits of the DD's connect for it. *sigh*

TheSeks said:
The "show me" function shows it as:

Ranga dashes to Bang. 2C->5DD->Dash forward a bit/Bang's in air->5DD (hits bang in the air/resets)->Dash foward a bit/Bang's in the air still->5DD (hits Bang in the air and from the middle to the stage we're at the edge)

It's doing my head in trying to land the dash cancels for the standing 5DD's AND have the hits of the DD's connect for it. *sigh*

Which trial number is this? I'm currently at work so I'm looking through YouTube, but can't see it.

TheSeks

Prototype-03 said:
Which trial number is this? I'm currently at work so I'm looking through YouTube, but can't see it.

Tutorial, Intermediate, the second from the bottom.

"About Counters"

TheSeks said:
Tutorial, Intermediate, the second from the bottom.

"About Counters"

OK, just tried it at home... You need to input the dash as soon as possible (like I said earlier)... That's the hardest timing imo.

Anyway, I'm up for some games, anyone wanna play?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
SolarPowered said:

GAF is the only forum on Earth where people won't send a message to the people on their friend lists.:lol :lol :lol

I'm available most of the time and I might even be able to convince my cousin to join the action. I never play BB because no one is ever on. I'm also going to give a warning ahead of time. I'll probably play just a couple of player matches as a quickie so that I won't annoy as much. If you want to continue playing then just drop an invite.

Your lambda has improved a lot. *thumbs up*
Thanks for the props, I'd actually got pretty consistent (while letting Papercuts palm my face) before I took time off for Reach.

Gonna put up another 360 lobby after these basketball games go off.

TheSeks

Prototype beat my face in, with the exception of one
tossed by him
round.

1/100 wins in player matches needed so I don't have to worry about wins for the trophy down. :lol

Learned the 6A+B counter assault move from him. Yay, I think. Boo 50% heat, so it means jack against Q.

Q: What is your pad set-up like, I'm curious how you've set your controls.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
TheSeks said:
Prototype beat my face in, with the exception of one
tossed by him
round.

1/100 wins in player matches needed so I don't have to worry about wins for the trophy down. :lol

Learned the 6A+B counter assault move from him. Yay, I think. Boo 50% heat, so it means jack against Q.

Q: What is your pad set-up like, I'm curious how you've set your controls.

Defualt

tafer

Oh wow, I'm not feeling that bad after reading in dustloop that people is also having problems with the 8th challenge of lambda... that jump cancel is pure evil!.

I mean, practicing only that specific part, I can do it 1 out of 100 tries... the timing is just weird. I mean, I can do a crescent saber at ground level with almost no problem after a 2d, but for some reason it becomes super difficult after a 2dd.

Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, another PS3 player here, 100% Lambda... sadly, I usually don't play online because my latency is awful, but if you guys want to try I'll love to match against some Gaffers. (Latency is ok against other latinamerican players)

Solune

TheSeks said:
Better than I am with it. A+B is so damn awkward to hit. :/

Why don't you hotkey A+B? Might as well give yourself some sort of leverage. I use stick when I play BBCS but when I play pad I set R1 to B+C for throws and R2 as A+B+C for RC.
Feels natural when I RC because I am used to using R2 when I FADC in SFIV.

TheSeks

Solune said:
Why don't you hotkey A+B? Might as well give yourself some sort of leverage. I use stick when I play BBCS but when I play pad I set R1 to B+C for throws and R2 as A+B+C for RC.
Feels natural when I RC because I am used to using R2 when I FADC in SFIV.

*shrug*

I have L1 as Function 1 and L2 as Function 2 (for unlimited). R1 for taunt (could lose that, but I use it to 100% heat and Astral the AI) and R2 as ABC (for barriers)

B+C isn't the problem, it's easier to throw command than it is in SSF4 (IMO on a pad, anyway). But A+B is awkward as Square + Triangle isn't natural.

Also:

Taokaka: "Lacking lady?" Noel can't just catch a break. :lol

gutabo

Thanks for the replies again guys, I think I'm going to go check what's being played the most 'round here before making my purchase. I would rather buy it on 360 since I've had terrible experiences with PSN and SSF4, but we'll see.

Anyone can help me with the throw mechanics? You can combo into throw, but how and how often? And do you have to tech like SSF4, like doing the crouching tech option select with a rythm?

Thanks in advance!

gutabo said:
Anyone can help me with the throw mechanics? You can combo into throw, but how and how often? And do you have to tech like SSF4, like doing the crouching tech option select with a rythm?

You can combo from ANY combo.. meaning jab into throw, ground combo into throw, air combo into throw, etc etc. However, if you throw from a combo, you get two purple exclamation points and the throw break time is a LOT longer (I think 20+ frames?). If you do it without a combo, you get a green exclamation point and I think the escape is less than 10 frames.

Command throws are inescapable, UNLESS they are from a combo (which in that case, you get the purple !!'s and you can escape, INCLUDING Tager's 720). Keep in mind that if you're trying to mash out of throws, then you get a throw reject and you CANNOT escape.

So in this sense, there's also couple of throw traps. For Tager, since 360's and 720's are inescapable, he can be block stringing you, then stop, and trap you into the 360 to avoid the !!'s. For regular characters, when they think you're trying to escape a throw, they throw in a jab and THEN throw, so you get a throw reject.

Blaz netcode is way better than SF4 so no worries there. Not only that, but the game is designed in a way that facilitates online play. In SF4 the tightest link is 1 frame whereas Blaz's tightest link is 5 frames by virtue of the engine.
It's possible to combo into throw, but the tech window is extended to something ludicrously long like 27 frames in order to compensate. There are also large bright pink exclamation points that appear to remind you to tech.

Dizzy-4U

tafer said:
Oh yeah, another PS3 player here, 100% Lambda... sadly, I usually don't play online because my latency is awful, but if you guys want to try I'll love to match against some Gaffers. (Latency is ok against other latinamerican players)
You can add me if you want mr. tafer. I got the game last friday. I live near the south pole so i can't promise good latency.

DY_nasty said:
360 lobby is up. GT: DY nasTy IV
My bad.

Just drop an invite next time and I'll jump in. I haven't gotten into the habit of checking this thread because it hasn't been as active until just recently.

gutabo

Prototype-03 said:
You can combo from ANY combo.. meaning jab into throw, ground combo into throw, air combo into throw, etc etc. However, if you throw from a combo, you get two purple exclamation points and the throw break time is a LOT longer (I think 20+ frames?). If you do it without a combo, you get a green exclamation point and I think the escape is less than 10 frames.
In SF4 there's an option select(down back+LP+LK) that you can do with a rhythm(the same rhythm your opponent is using to attack you) so if they decide to not do one of the attacks of the block string and throw you, you will tech it. Of course, those can be frame trapped, but my question is: is there something similar in BB:CS or you just have to guess right every time?(or have a higher yomi level)

Prototype-03 said:
So in this sense, there's also couple of throw traps. For Tager, since 360's and 720's are inescapable, he can be block stringing you, then stop, and trap you into the 360 to avoid the !!'s. For regular characters, when they think you're trying to escape a throw, they throw in a jab and THEN throw, so you get a throw reject.
So it's like SF, where (let's say zangief)gief can make you block some crouching light attacks and then spinning piledrive you(or regular thow you), ok I got it. In SF jumps are like this: the instant you press up you can't be thrown but can be hit(and you're considered to be still grounded) for 3 frames, then you are no longer considered grounded, start your jump and can be air thrown. So jumps are very effective to escape throws, but you can still frame trap jumping attempts. How are jumps in BB:CS? Mostly the same? Or not?

gutabo said:
In SF4 there's an option select(down back+LP+LK) that you can do with a rhythm(the same rhythm your opponent is using to attack you) so if they decide to not do one of the attacks of the block string and throw you, you will tech it. Of course, those can be frame trapped, but my question is: is there something similar in BB:CS or you just have to guess right every time?(or have a higher yomi level)

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that part. The way you do it in BBCS is you do 4A+B (barrier block) and press C right after, (so A+B+C at the same time). If they throw, you break the throw, if they attack, you barrier block it. But like I said, they can hit and THEN throw, so even then, this isn't THAT reliable.

gutabo said:
So it's like SF, where (let's say zangief)gief can make you block some crouching light attacks and then spinning piledrive you(or regular thow you), ok I got it. In SF jumps are like this: the instant you press up you can't be thrown but can be hit(and you're considered to be still grounded) for 3 frames, then you are no longer considered grounded, start your jump and can be air thrown. So jumps are very effective to escape throws, but you can still frame trap jumping attempts. How are jumps in BB:CS? Mostly the same? Or not?

It's a little bit different, in the sense that they can still throw you from a combo, but you can tech it. So if you're jumping, they can COMBO from the throw, BUT you can tech out of it. If they wait so it cannot be teched, then you should be able to jump out of it.

Jumps are like Viper's jumps. You have two types... normal jump and super jump. However, unlike Viper, you can double jump/air dash (for the exception of Bang -- he has triple jump/dash).

edit: Here's a good site with the basics http://blazblue.byethost13.com/bbcs/system.html

gutabo said:
Thanks. I'm doing my homework, but there's always tiny bits of data that escapes those system articles. Will come back after some more reading!

Right... And I know you don't have the game, but their tutorial is actually pretty intensive. I'm just being biased here, but get the PS3 version :lol

But to be completely honest, I think the GAF community is a little bigger on the PS3. Also, the netcode on BBCS>SSF4.

TheSeks

Papercuts said:
You can map F1 and F2 to the left/right stick clicks for extra room.

MIND BLOWN. I didn't know that. Guess I should put the functions of broken--er--Beginner Mode (for story and score attack) on right stick and R3 as Function 2/Unlimited. But I think R3 by default is ABCD (what good is that command outside beginner mode's "Astral Heat" key?)

gutabo said:
Thanks. I'm doing my homework, but there's always tiny bits of data that escapes those system articles. Will come back after some more reading!

CS's "tutorial mode" (that's actually the first option at the very top of the game on booting into it) is very explanational (while Rachel chides you, meanwhile). You don't really need to ask thousands of questions in this thread if you just buy the game, duder. It isn't like SSF4 where they throw you in and go "SWIM, BITCH!" :lol

Of course, the question is how much of the stuff that Rachel/Arc teaches you will you use in the game? Not that many people abuse Rapid Cancels/"Roman Cancel"-like analog (in GG terms) online.

And the online netcode is WAYYYYY better than SSF4's IMO. It's a little funky when you join games in progress (different from Calamity Trigger, apparently) but once you know that's normal you pretty much can gauge how you do the next round (unless they kick you because you're lagging REALLY bad and screwing them up :lol )

Edit: WHAT THE FUCK @ Tager's gag ending. :lol

gutabo

TheSeks said:
CS's "tutorial mode" (that's actually the first option at the very top of the game on booting into it) is very explanational (while Rachel chides you, meanwhile). You don't really need to ask thousands of questions in this thread if you just buy the game, duder. It isn't like SSF4 where they throw you in and go "SWIM, BITCH!" :lol

Of course, the question is how much of the stuff that Rachel/Arc teaches you will you use in the game? Not that many people abuse Rapid Cancels/"Roman Cancel"-like analog (in GG terms) online.

And the online netcode is WAYYYYY better than SSF4's IMO. It's a little funky when you join games in progress (different from Calamity Trigger, apparently) but once you know that's normal you pretty much can gauge how you do the next round (unless they kick you because you're lagging REALLY bad and screwing them up :lol )
Well, I am planning on buying it so the only question now is "which version?". Since I'm not in the states it's going to take me around 2 weeks to get the game so in the meantime I'm trying to learn as much as possible, specially stuff like frames hitboxes and properties, I'm obsessive compulsive like that when I like something.

I didn't realize I was bothering you guys with my questions, sorry about that, I'll stop now.

gutabo said:
Well, I am planning on buying it so the only question now is "which version?". Since I'm not in the states it's going to take me around 2 weeks to get the game so in the meantime I'm trying to learn as much as possible, specially stuff like frames hitboxes and properties, I'm obsessive compulsive like that when I like something.

I didn't realize I was bothering you guys with my questions, sorry about that, I'll stop now.

Oh, no worries. This game has a LOT of stuff to learn... There's a lot of other things to learn such as rapid cancels, counter assault, how to recover, etc etc. This game's a lot more complicated than a lot of the fighters out there... Which is kinda scary knowing that GG was a lot more complicated than this.

Top Bottom