• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

gutabo

Prototype-03 said:
Oh, no worries. This game has a LOT of stuff to learn... There's a lot of other things to learn such as rapid cancels, counter assault, how to recover, etc etc. This game's a lot more complicated than a lot of the fighters out there... Which is kinda scary knowing that GG was a lot more complicated than this.
Thanks! So GG was MORE complicated than this game? Whoa, I feel better now then ;)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
gutabo said:
I didn't realize I was bothering you guys with my questions, sorry about that, I'll stop now.

Oh, I didn't mean for that sound rude. It's just CS (unlike CT) includes a tutorial mode that'll pretty much explain anything you have questions about if you do the tutorials. Anything else you can pretty much ask and I'm sure we/Prototype could explain further.

Rachel does a pretty good job explaining the systems (IMO) to where you shouldn't worry too much. The problem with the tutorial is that the explinations are focused on Ragna so not EVERYTHING applies ("Ragna's 3C gives him a guard primer burst" for instance doesn't apply to other characters), but there is a "strategy" section for the characters themselves (that I haven't used yet) that should explain each character, with the exception of Makoto/Mu/Valk/Platinum.

Well, I am planning on buying it so the only question now is "which version?". Since I'm not in the states it's going to take me around 2 weeks to get the game so in the meantime I'm trying to learn as much as possible, specially stuff like frames hitboxes and properties, I'm obsessive compulsive like that when I like something.

PS3 doesn't have as many issues as SSF4 has when joining games, at least for me. SSF4 even joining GAF games is a bit of a hassle. But in CS I haven't had issues joining GAF. Just have a 1-level ping response (but not that that is bad, I haven't experienced anything as bad as GG:XX:#R XBL's netcode in BBCS, so it seems Arc learned from that experience), is all. :lol

TheSeks

Kadey said:
Prototype wins the BB tourney. No one else showed up. :lol

Wait, there was a tourney? You didn't mention a time or date. Just "get people by the end of tomorrow." :|

I want that Arcade Stick. :(

KAL2006

Banned
OK the PAL version of this game is releasing soon and I have a few questions

-Is it easy to get into for a Street Fighter player
-I noticed a tutorial mode and challenge mode, are they good at helping me learn the game
-how good is story mode
-how good in the netcode in comparison to SSFIV
-are there a lot of people playing online, what is it like in comparison to SSFIV
-are there beginners online
-how good is the ranking system
-will there be a new BlazBlue anytime soon, I noticed there is Continuum Shift 2 for arcades

KAL2006 said:
OK the PAL version of this game is releasing soon and I have a few questions
I'll try my best.
KAL2006 said:
-Is it easy to get into for a Street Fighter player
The learning curve for the more popular characters isn't that high. It's also fast paced and combos are pretty easy to perform.
KAL2006 said:
-I noticed a tutorial mode and challenge mode, are they good at helping me learn the game
Tutorial is pretty good at helping people learn the basics, but challenge mode can be a pain in the ass for people who aren't used to long combos with no room for error. Challenge mode does work well for learning basic combos and finding favorable ones for yourself and it can be surprisingly fulfilling to pull stuff off in this game.
KAL2006 said:
-how good is story mode
Story mode is probably the most fleshed out mode of any fighting game I've ever played. It's confusing as fuck for most people who've played both games so I'd recommend that you youtube all of the stories for each character in the original BlazBlue. Don't let the anime presentation get to you either. The gag endings are absolutely hilarious and the bad endings are also great for a laugh.:lol
KAL2006 said:
It's been the best netcode of any fighting game since the first BB. There isn't much more to say.
KAL2006 said:
-are there a lot of people playing online, what is it like in comparison to SSFIV
Player matches are plentiful and the community will only grow as soon as Europe enters the fray and American players are revitalized by new activity.
KAL2006 said:
-are there beginners online
See above.
KAL2006 said:
-how good is the ranking system
It's pretty detailed compared to vanilla SF4. I haven't gotten my hands on SSF4 yet, but I'm willing to bet that it's more comprehensive.
KAL2006 said:
-will there be a new BlazBlue anytime soon, I noticed there is Continuum Shift 2 for arcades
Aksys has said that they plan to patch any new updates which includes balance patches and such. I wouldn't expect the new BB right away and Europe also gets all 3 DLC characters from the start I believe.

KAL2006

Banned
SolarPowered said:
I'll try my best.

The learning curve for the more popular characters isn't that high. It's also fast paced and combos are pretty easy to perform.

Tutorial is pretty good at helping people learn the basics, but challenge mode can be a pain in the ass for people who aren't used to long combos with no room for error. Challenge mode does work well for learning basic combos and finding favorable ones for yourself and it can be surprisingly fulfilling to pull stuff off in this game.

Story mode is probably the most fleshed out mode of any fighting game I've ever played. It's confusing as fuck for most people who've played both games so I'd recommend that you youtube all of the stories for each character in the original BlazBlue. Don't let the anime presentation get to you either. The gag endings are absolutely hilarious and the bad endings are also great for a laugh.:lol

It's been the best netcode of any fighting game since the first BB. There isn't much more to say.

Player matches are plentiful and the community will only grow as soon as Europe enters the fray and American players are revitalized by new activity.

See above.

It's pretty detailed compared to vanilla SF4. I haven't gotten my hands on SSF4 yet, but I'm willing to bet that it's more comprehensive.

Aksys has said that they plan to patch any new updates which includes balance patches and such. I wouldn't expect the new BB right away and Europe also gets all 3 DLC characters from the start I believe.

Thanks for the answers, do you mean the DLC characters are available for purchase day 1 or the DLC characters come free. I have decided to gets this game for christmas (no time to play it any earlier) and will start off with some noob friendly character.

anyways if there are any other europeans who are thinking of getting this, here is a decent video review.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfF1IFgYxd8

KAL2006 said:

Challenge mode is good to get you started, but most of the time, the combos are way too hard and usually there are more damaging combos that are easier to do.

Netcode is really good compared to the other fighters.

BBCS2 is actually the same game... They're adding the patch and the DLC chars for the arcades and calling it BBCS2

TheSeks

Prototype-03 said:
BBCS2 is actually the same game... They're adding the patch and the DLC chars for the arcades and calling it BBCS2

I don't know why they just don't call it BB:CS:AE update instead of BB:CS2. Keeps making people think "ZOMG RE-RELEASE LOL SUPER STREET 4 SUPERIOR!" :|

Sure, there is already a CS release in arcades out there, but meh... Would be easier just leaving it under the same title. Didn't GG:XX do that and just add "#Reload"/"Slash"/"^Core" to the revision names?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
TheSeks said:
I don't know why they just don't call it BB:CS:AE update instead of BB:CS2. Keeps making people think "ZOMG RE-RELEASE LOL SUPER STREET 4 SUPERIOR!" :|

Sure, there is already a CS release in arcades out there, but meh... Would be easier just leaving it under the same title. Didn't GG:XX do that and just add "#Reload"/"Slash"/"^Core" to the revision names?

^Core might as well been ggxxx with all the changes :lol

TheSeks

True, I guess. I haven't played GGXX past #Reload, so I don't know.

Also I fucking hate this Dash Cancel DD Dash Cancel DD bouncing Bang part of the tutorial. I just can't land it. I keep spinning due to the "dash animation" being in play still even if I 5D to where it screws up the combo. Or I short dash and I'm too far from bang to where the first hit doesn't connect and the second hits, but doesn't continue the combo (it wants 7 hits, my best is 3...).

Too much and I don't connect the attack.
Too little and I CAN'T connect the attack.

Can't seem to find the "just right" point of dash cancel and it's pissing me off. >:|

DY_nasty said:
360 BBCS needs more action.
:lol :lol :lol

We should get some more action with the release of the game in Europe. There are people on my friendslist who do play the game occasionally, but I don't like being the guy who disrupts people when they are playing story mode or challenge mode. Hell, I felt kind of bad barging in on you when you were in training mode the other day.:lol

TheSeks said:
True, I guess. I haven't played GGXX past #Reload, so I don't know.

Also I fucking hate this Dash Cancel DD Dash Cancel DD bouncing Bang part of the tutorial. I just can't land it. I keep spinning due to the "dash animation" being in play still even if I 5D to where it screws up the combo. Or I short dash and I'm too far from bang to where the first hit doesn't connect and the second hits, but doesn't continue the combo (it wants 7 hits, my best is 3...).

Too much and I don't connect the attack.
Too little and I CAN'T connect the attack.

Can't seem to find the "just right" point of dash cancel and it's pissing me off. >:|

Honestly, I got this by spamming dash, then spamming DD. Just make sure that after you dash, LET GO OF ALL INPUTS, and mash D.

Also, the timing of the attack isn't as important as the timing of the dash. The dash needs to be inputted as SOON as the 2nd 5DD connects. Keep in mind that the dash cancel is a COMMAND dash, so there will be a period of time where you can't do anything but dash even if you don't input anything, so it should give you a considerable amount of time to start mashing those DDs.

Try it out... Try doing 5DD and cancel it by doing a dash. He'll keep dashing even if you stop way before.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
SolarPowered said:
:lol :lol :lol

We should get some more action with the release of the game in Europe. There are people on my friendslist who do play the game occasionally, but I don't like being the guy who disrupts people when they are playing story mode or challenge mode. Hell, I felt kind of bad barging in on you when you were in training mode the other day.:lol
Naw its cool. I'm always in training mode polishing my timing for wall bounces or practicing TK Crescents before matches. We could use some new blood though - as of right now, Papercuts is pretty much the standing champ among the 360 ranks.

I've caught myself pimping Lambda's 4B a little too much. Its a good little mix up to throw around, but I bank on it a little too often. One day I'll get over myself and start using counter assaults when I'm in the corner instead of holding out for a DD.

DY_nasty said:
Naw its cool. I'm always in training mode polishing my timing for wall bounces or practicing TK Crescents before matches. We could use some new blood though - as of right now, Papercuts is pretty much the standing champ among the 360 ranks.

I've caught myself pimping Lambda's 4B a little too much. Its a good little mix up to throw around, but I bank on it a little too often. One day I'll get over myself and start using counter assaults when I'm in the corner instead of holding out for a DD.
Yeah, you're honestly improving at a faster rate than anyone I've played in either iterations of the game so I wouldn't sweat it. Your also mostly right about Papercuts at the moment. I'd give him a run for his money if I weren't so damned caught up with the essentials of every day life. He is the king of the hill on our side for now though.:lol

If you see me online just drop the invite and I'll join. If I don't join then you've caught me at my worst(leaving my Xbox 360 on while I sleep).

DY_nasty

I'll try to get on again later tonight.

Does anyone else main Lambda here? Gravity Well is giving me a headache today... I'm trying to do (stupid) stuff right now like Rapid immediately after to possibly get into some heavier combos but I think I'm just barking up a (stupid) tree.

It seems I get my biggest damage stuff from the same two entry points and I'm trying to work in some more unorthodox stuff aside from typical Lambda play. The Goryus-special is damn near impossible on a pad so I gave that up :lol

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
DY_nasty said:
I'll try to get on again later tonight.

Does anyone else main Lambda here? Gravity Well is giving me a headache today... I'm trying to do (stupid) stuff right now like Rapid immediately after to possibly get into some heavier combos but I think I'm just barking up a (stupid) tree.

No point in RCing a gravity well hit since you have enough time to hit even without an RC. There are two main followups if you land a 214a:

On counterhit:
<walk back a little - This helps spacing and it also baits bursts> 5c mash > 6c > 236C > dash > 5c mash > 6c > 2147d (This is hard. Doing 236C here is easier) > 5dd > 6dd > 2dd > jump > j.dd > airjump > j.2dd > j.214d

On regular hit:
6a > 2147d > 6a> 6c> 236c > same or similar followup as above (use different swords for space and such)

What are the points that you're currently using to get damage in?

TheSeks

Prototype-03 said:
Honestly, I got this by spamming dash, then spamming DD. Just make sure that after you dash, LET GO OF ALL INPUTS, and mash D.

Also, the timing of the attack isn't as important as the timing of the dash. The dash needs to be inputted as SOON as the 2nd 5DD connects. Keep in mind that the dash cancel is a COMMAND dash, so there will be a period of time where you can't do anything but dash even if you don't input anything, so it should give you a considerable amount of time to start mashing those DDs.

Try it out... Try doing 5DD and cancel it by doing a dash. He'll keep dashing even if you stop way before.

Well, the way I'm doing it is:

662C->5D->D->66->5D (WHOOPS, ANIMATION IS PLAYING OUT! 6D! FFFFFFF)

I guess I should walk up to Bang (not like I'm going to be attacked, so I shouldn't mimic the "show me" video), 2C->5D->66(D?) (but I'm not sure if that'll let the second hit come out?) and then D66D again?

Dash canceling and all this "stops your combo" shit does my head in in fighting games. I'm not that good. >_<

The Take Out Bandit said:
Now that the weather has cooled and I won't be sweating balls while playing I need to get back in.

Haven't turned on the Xbox in quite a while.

Is that because you sweat balls when you turn on the 360? :lol

I think I'll get back into this over the weekend.
Kinda been playing Melty lately. It's really fun but it will never develop a scene in my area. :lol
ugh, I'll have to sit through 2 BBCS updates and a PS3 firmware update before I'll be able to play.
this gen sucks.

Prototype-03 said:
Is that because you sweat balls when you turn on the 360? :lol

I'm sure it doesn't help, but the shitty house I rent is easy 95 degrees in summer, and doesn't retain heat in winter.

So getting physical with my fight stick and elevating my blood pressure with loss rage makes shit unbearable.

Plus I has a PSX3 die on me twice already, I don't want to push the luck of my Xbox2.

_dementia said:
ugh, I'll have to sit through 2 BBCS updates and a PS3 firmware update before I'll be able to play.
this gen sucks.

Yeah, it blows... and a lot of times, it's a cheap excuse to make a bad game and "fix" it later (like Bayonetta for the PS3). I mean, at least we eventually get a fixed game, but it still blows.

Also, the patch works both ways... On one hand, you have to update... On the other hand, if it weren't for the updates, the patches would've ended up being a new game (like GGX, GGXX, GGReload, GGAC, etc etc)

The Take Out Bandit said:
I'm sure it doesn't help, but the shitty house I rent is easy 95 degrees in summer, and doesn't retain heat in winter.

Plus I has a PSX3 die on me twice already, I don't want to push the luck of my Xbox2.

:O I will never complain about the temp ever again. And :O at 3 PS3s

So I'll see if I can get some people who wants to join the tourney and make a new thread if it looks like there's enough interest.

Looking at the list, I'm going to assume these people want to join:

GAF - PSN
Prototype-03 - Prototype-03
dementia_ - ???
QisTopTier - QisTopTier
Fugu - Fygu
ApolloJoh - ??? (I have it on my psn but I'm work atm)
TheSeks - Sekoku
Kiunchbb - Kiunch
Dreavus - Dreavus-

POSSIBLE people who may want to join:

GAF - PSN
AkachanNingen - Akachan Ningen

Dreavus

Prototype-03 said:
So I'll see if I can get some people who wants to join the tourney and make a new thread if it looks like there's enough interest.

GAF - PSN
Prototype-03 Prototype-03
dementia_ ???
QisTopTier QisTopTier
Fugu Fygu
ApolloJoh ??? (I have it on my psn but I'm work atm)
TheSeks Sekoku
Kiunchbb Kiunch

GAF - PSN
Dreavus Dreavus-
AkachanNingen Akachan Ningen

Yessss I want in! And my PSN is actually Dreavus- (with the dash). Other one was taken unfortunately.

I forgot, can spectators record matches?
During the tourney I could record my matches at least. It would be nice to have an archive of this like the guys in the 360 SSFIV tourney.

Olaeh

Glad to see the community is still thriving. I've never played. I'll be picking this up next week for PS3. Good luck to those in the tourney!~ I've never been a big fan of GG but with KOFXIII looking like a no show on consoles, I figured it was time to finally jump in :D

DY_nasty

Akuun said:
No point in RCing a gravity well hit since you have enough time to hit even without an RC. There are two main followups if you land a 214a:

On counterhit:
<walk back a little - This helps spacing and it also baits bursts> 5c mash > 6c > 236C > dash > 5c mash > 6c > 2147d (This is hard. Doing 236C here is easier) > 5dd > 6dd > 2dd > jump > j.dd > airjump > j.2dd > j.214d

On regular hit:
6a > 2147d > 6a> 6c> 236c > same or similar followup as above (use different swords for space and such)

What are the points that you're currently using to get damage in?
Thats gravy

I don't know why but I spent hours trying to get the hang of that TK Crescent on this busted ass 360 pad. I'll start mixing in the normal 236C instead for a while.

I was trying to (counter hit) gravity well > 6c > rapid into some crazy pointless shit, but I'll just polish up what I know a little before diving off the deep in. All this time off has ruined my spacing though... thats been the hardest thing about readjusting.

Edit: OH - entry points

5d counter hit midscreen
2b> shenanigans
6c>4b (I use this WAY too much)
236 mindgames

and I lose myself trying to guard break every once in a while too.

Prototype-03 said:

GAF - PSN
Prototype-03 - Prototype-03
dementia_ - ???
QisTopTier - QisTopTier
Fugu - Fygu
ApolloJoh - ??? (I have it on my psn but I'm work atm)
TheSeks - Sekoku
Kiunchbb - Kiunch
Dreavus - Dreavus-

GAF - PSN
AkachanNingen - Akachan Ningen

watch it, ass blood. I'll play.

Top Bottom