• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

xero273

faridmon said:
Just got Bleach Dark Soul (Aka Becah 2nd) and I am a master on that game. Can string combos, mastered all the techniques and a lot of sub-techniques.

Why can't I do it for this game? I know the slower play style suits me, but it feels the same. Does anyone who played both of them can giv me any advice on how to get better?

who do you main?

Dreavus said:
Really? What happens if multiple people have mics? I'm sure I remember talking to people while they're playing and I'm not. Although I guess recording anything legible is a different kettle of fish.
I believe there is a "tape delay" when it comes to spectating. What you're seeing actually happened a second or two ago to the actual player, and the length might be different among different spectators.

QisTopTier said:
As I was saying they said it will take awhile before the next sequel comes out because well they are building the game based on story, the story has shifted locations and so on. They gotta make a whole new set of backgrounds, they gotta add the 3 new villains in among other things. The whole reason the arcade is getting a "CS2" is because it wasn't designed to be patched like the console version was. Oh and they wanted to implement a new system for their arcade cabinets too something about needed to connect with the net and verify the cabinet for it to work or something.[/IMG]

Main reason why the US most likely won't get CS2 in arcades. :(

xero273

FlightOfHeaven said:
When is Platinum coming out again?

Between CS and RB dlc, times are tough.

don't have a date yet. I think CS2 comes out next month so we are either going to get Platinum this month or next.

I've been practicing in challenge mode to get a feel for the characters and how they flow. I know its not the same as facing an actual opponent, but it has helped me tremendously. I've learned to judge distance on attacks better as well as timing. I used to rapidly press certain combinations to make sure a combo gets out, but now I've gotten it to where I dont need to do that anymore. Am I correct in assuming that some of the challenges in challenge mode might not translate well to an actual match? I still have a long ways to go but if I can figure out how to apply techniques to an actual match instead of a practice dummy things might go over better.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Kamen Rider Prism said:
I've been practicing in challenge mode to get a feel for the characters and how they flow. I know its not the same as facing an actual opponent, but it has helped me tremendously. I've learned to judge distance on attacks better as well as timing. I used to rapidly press certain combinations to make sure a combo gets out, but now I've gotten it to where I dont need to do that anymore. Am I correct in assuming that some of the challenges in challenge mode might not translate well to an actual match? I still have a long ways to go but if I can figure out how to apply techniques to an actual match instead of a practice dummy things might go over better.

Challenge mode is just there to give you an idea how some of the stuff works really. Check out dustloop for the best combos and match videos and such. But the best teacher is combat itself :D

Fugu

Kamen Rider Prism said:
I can't attest to the individual scenarios of every character, but for Litchi, the combos they teach you in challenge mode are generally inefficient and bad for spacing; you learn your important openers (5B 5C 3C Itsuu C, 4D 4Kote, 5B 2C Itsuu A) as well as some really cool gimmicky shit but most of the combos simply aren't worth using in an actual match. Ironically enough, probably the most "regular" combo that challenge mode teaches you is the challenge #10 combo, as that's basically just the Itsuu loop (although you probably won't super at the end like they do).

Fugu said:
I can't attest to the individual scenarios of every character, but for Litchi, the combos they teach you in challenge mode are generally inefficient and bad for spacing; you learn your important openers (5B 5C 3C Itsuu C, 4D 4Kote, 5B 2C Itsuu A) as well as some really cool gimmicky shit but most of the combos simply aren't worth using in an actual match. Ironically enough, probably the most "regular" combo that challenge mode teaches you is the challenge #10 combo, as that's basically just the Itsuu loop (although you probably won't super at the end like they do).

Agreed. Most of the combos in challenge are there to show you that "you can actually do these combos"... but in reality, these combos are very inefficient (not enough damage/oki) and/or are extremely hard to do (ie: better combos are easier).

Fugu

I posted a few days back about the downhill slope of my BlazBlue skills. Well, today I'm proud(?) to announce that I can no longer do a 421 dragon punch.

Yup.

Coeliacus

Prototype-03 said:
Main reason why the US most likely won't get CS2 in arcades. :(
There is a traditional hard drive upgrade to CS2, it is just more expensive than buying it through the new system Japan uses.

xero273 said:
I wonder if it is the dlc that is causing the delay.

Just like the delays for Calamity? :lol

I appreciate them bringing it out over there, but the releases are such bullshit. What the fuck could be the cause for announcing a delay the week before the game's out? They must have known beforehand, they must have known when they delayed it a couple of weeks ago that they couldn't make this date either. It perplexes me to no end why they don't announce the actual date rather than piling up these last minute delays again.

Fugu

Prototype-03 said:
Actually, I feel better. Now I'm dropping them on both sides.

I've been able to do these combos for months.

EDIT: Enough bitchin' from me today, after several hours in training mode I'm back to... where I was yesterday and I even learned a fancy new gimmick.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
As far as I can tell, most of the challenge mode combos are helpful for learning inputs and certain links, but the combos themselves are impractical or outdated to use in actual matches. Watch videos, check dustloop and ask more experienced players for the more practical combos.

I'm really sad that we're not likely to get BBCS2 in arcades. I play BB almost entirely at the arcade.

When the CS2 patch comes to consoles, what will happen to Challenge mode?
It would have to remain version 1.02 because many of the challenge combos won't work in 2.0.

I know it's wishful thinking, but how rad would it be if they updated the combos for CS2.

_dementia said:
It would have to remain version 1.02 because many of the challenge combos won't work in 2.0.

I know it's wishful thinking, but how rad would it be if they updated the combos for CS2.

I think they will. I believe at the top of challenge mode, it says version 1.00 or something like that.

Fugu

Akuun said:
As far as I can tell, most of the challenge mode combos are helpful for learning inputs and certain links, but the combos themselves are impractical or outdated to use in actual matches. Watch videos, check dustloop and ask more experienced players for the more practical combos.

I'm really sad that we're not likely to get BBCS2 in arcades. I play BB almost entirely at the arcade.
I don't understand why people are presuming this. I live in Canada so maybe it's different, but my local arcade got CS when Japan did; why won't we get CS2?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
_dementia said:

Are the updates supposed to be simultaneous for console and arcade, or will there be some random yearlong delay?

xero273

Fugu said:
I don't understand why people are presuming this. I live in Canada so maybe it's different, but my local arcade got CS when Japan did; why won't we get CS2?

CS2 is different. From what I read it needs to connect to some server or something. This service is only available in Japan.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Yes, CS2 is apparently going to come only on a new arcade board/machine called Nesica. I'm fuzzy on the details, so correct me if I'm wrong:

Apparently Nesica machines need a constant internet connection to a server to function properly. I've also heard that the machines might require that the arcade itself pay the game developer a fee for EACH PLAY on the machine, which obviously cuts into into profit margins and the like. This last issue has pissed off a lot of arcade owners in Japan, so there is an uproar about the introduction of Nesica machines in general.

But basically all of that means the chances of arcades getting BBCS2 machines are very slim, unless the game devs fold to the pressure and drop Nesica from their game.

Akuun said:
Yes, CS2 is apparently going to come only on a new arcade board/machine called Nesica. I'm fuzzy on the details, so correct me if I'm wrong:

Apparently Nesica machines need a constant internet connection to a server to function properly. I've also heard that the machines might require that the arcade itself pay the game developer a fee for EACH PLAY on the machine, which obviously cuts into into profit margins and the like. This last issue has pissed off a lot of arcade owners in Japan, so there is an uproar about the introduction of Nesica machines in general.

But basically all of that means the chances of arcades getting BBCS2 machines are very slim, unless the game devs fold to the pressure and drop Nesica from their game.
That sounds draconian and awful. Unless arcade publishers are losing revenue to pirate machines and such, I can't see why they might want to introduce such a thing. Seems like it hurts the arcade operators.

Fugu

Akuun said:

This seems dumb as I'm pretty sure arcades make just about the least amount of money ever. Hopefully this won't be how it goes down.

_dementia said:
That sounds draconian and awful. Unless arcade publishers are losing revenue to pirate machines and such, I can't see why they might want to introduce such a thing. Seems like it hurts the arcade operators.

Fugu said:
This seems dumb as I'm pretty sure arcades make just about the least amount of money ever. Hopefully this won't be how it goes down.

Pretty bad for JPN. But it pretty much will kill US. JPN has an arcade scene... US has almost none. Everyone plays on consoles. Arcades here only survive for tournaments and when the game is out before the consoles so this will pretty much seal the deal if this goes through.

fubarduck

Zanken said:
There is a traditional hard drive upgrade to CS2, it is just more expensive than buying it through the new system Japan uses.
No, there isn't.

I have been personally spearheading the effort to get CS2 to work in the USA in other countries, and I have a direct line of communication with Taito. However, the outlook is rather grim.

CS2 is ONLY being released on the Nesica x LIVE system which means all the countries with BB scenes outside of Japan (USA, Hong Kong, Australia, China, etc) will not be able to get the update.

The way it works is:

FIBER connection required at all times (no cable/DSL)
31.5 yen per play goes to Taito (this includes service credits)
The Nesica client costs 190,000 yen and the server costs 89,000 yen (both are required).

fubarduck

Fugu said:
Really?

Really?

The way they're trying to push it is that the platform will be useful for multiple titles. So, say you have 10 cabinets each with the 190,000 yen Nesica client. You'd only need one 89,000 yen server to get them all running.

In addition to the other devs that will be releasing titles exclusively for Nesica, they're going to do "classic game packs". For example, they were showing a "fighting game pack" at the AM Show in Tokyo a couple of months back which included Samurai Spirits Sen and some old KOF titles.

Anyway, the scariest thing about this is that there's a fee to download the software on top of all of this, and there is no indication on whether the small "patches" or updates will incur additional fees for the operator. I would certainly hope that most of the patches will come free when they're earning 31.5% of your income.

190,000 + 89,000 yen is around $3,000, which is pretty standard fare for a fighting game upgrade--but in most situations, the operator would earn 100% for the lifespan of the game. The 31.5 yen per play is what really makes it ludicrous, and the reason many Japanese arcades will not be purchasing the CS2 upgrade.

Remember what happened to Virtua Fighter after VF5? Expect something very similar to happen to Blazblue unless Arcsys withdraws from the Nesica platform.

At least the console version will eventually get the balance patch (probably not for several months, though).

Fugu

fubarduck said:
Information
What's the reason for all of this? Is the move towards a more controlled platform intentionally designed to curb out the international market, or is that just a side-effect?

"How come they get to run our game for 10 years, and we see none of that revenue? It's not fair!"

I'd say, then all patches and updates should be free, and sequels should be discounted.

fubarduck

Fugu said:
What's the reason for all of this? Is the move towards a more controlled platform intentionally designed to curb out the international market, or is that just a side-effect?
Side effect, mostly. Japan still has over 20,000 arcades as of 2009, whereas Hong Kong has about 300. I'm unsure about China, but their market for fighters is mostly KOF games so probably a lot fewer arcades purchase Blazblue. "Western" countries have even fewer, of course.

So, assuming there are perhaps 500 arcades outside of Japan that would purchase Blazblue, that is less than 5% of their market. To them, having the "per-play" revenue is worth more than that. I don't think that Arc Systems understands the implication of not having their game in Western arcades before the console release, however (way less hype for the game/DLC before release).

FlightOfHeaven said:
I'd say, then all patches and updates should be free, and sequels should be discounted.
I completely agree. In a perfect world, this is how it would be and that's not so bad. It just sucks that there are no efforts to get the system running abroad when we have so many fans.

I also don't think it's going to stop them from making "Continuum Shift 3" or whatever and charging another $1,000 for the download.

Cowie

_dementia said:
Valkenhayn isn't even out on 360 yet

This is completely insane. I'm not too attached to him, but I will be *pissed* if it takes that long after her release for me to get Plat. What the hell is the story here? MS bullshit?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Cowie said:
This is completely insane. I'm not too attached to him, but I will be *pissed* if it takes that long after her release for me to get Plat. What the hell is the story here? MS bullshit?

Yup, from what's been said so far looks like it's all on MS's side

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
For those who care...
Most important part is bolded.

Final LokTest from dustloop:

System/Misc. Changes and Info:
* System announcer changed again evidently even worse w/r/t engrish.
* Meter increase penalty time increased, in other words, you get back meter much slower after you cause meter actions
* There is a single player mode called "Unlimited Wars", its pretty much the score attack mode but all your opponents are unlimited characters

Ragna
* BE's hitstop has changed
* increase in 6C's attack level(?)
+ 623C>236C follow up 236C does not cause a big wall bounce which make you will be able to combo after you land
+ 5B>3C>623C>236C>236C>land 2C>5D works
+ 22C does 600 damage
- 22C not very profitable to use in general

Jin
+ 2D starts up faster.
+ Yukikaze now does 3080 damage
+ 2D is slightly faster than previous loketests
+ j.B seems to be bit faster than CS, but slower than CT
+ Jin 6A breaks primer on block
- throw is not cancellable anymore, but you can combo with dash 6C and does something around 2000
- 623D seems to have the same move proration, combos with 2 623D's involved pretty much don't work anymore

Rachel
+ Overall damage has increased compared to CS (It's weaker than last loketest)
+ New gatling: 5B > 2B (Looping it is impossible)
- j.2C is not jump cancellable anymore.

Hakumen
*Forward throw causes slide effect.
* 6D, JD, 2D: gain 1 orb meter once you successfully counter. You can't do any followup combo after the counter.
* JB: JB - Renka - Enma combo does about 3100 damage
* 5C: has more horizontal reach. has more proration
* 623A: moves less now. cancellable to other specials now
* Hotaru: looks like you can combo into Enma after this hits. (not confirmed)
* Renka: 2nd hit does wall-bounce once hit. 120% proration of the 1st hit is gone.
* Enma (623A - A): you can still do CS Enma combo. has more proration now.
+ J2C: has faster startup now. J2C > 5C > Renka > Enma combo does about 4400 damage.
+ 4C: now cancellable to special moves. not sure about the proration at this moment.
+ Tsubaki: Slide down no matter of air or ground hit. you can do followup combo at the corner.
- 6A: moves slightly less forward than CS
- 6B: Damage is decreased (749 4th locke -> 710 now)
- 3C: has more recovery now. 3C - 2B works only after counter hit.
- JC: slightly more recovery
- 5D: damage is decreased to 1400, fewer active frames. gain 1 orb meter once you successfully counter.

Carl
* Brio's knockback trajectory travels farther.
+ j2C knocks down.
+ Anima has armour, launches very high.
+ Volante has multi-hit armour for projectiles.
+ Cantata is quicker.
+ NEE-SAN~ moves faster (only during Cantata?).
- Cantata uses up more NEE-SAN~ bar.
- Throw damage is 600. Throw > Fermata damage is 1700.
- Volante has same move penalty.
- j.B is no longer a fatal counter
- Overall damage has been drastically reduced.
- 3C retains CS version's float property, but is also ground-techable.

Taokaka
+ 5CH > 6C works
- 3C can only be cancelled with distortion drive (confirmation from previous loketest)

Litchi
+ 4D slide down>release D>dash JB~ combos
+ 6D causes the wall bounce
+ you can combo ittsuu after throw, and you can follow up with CS combo afterward

Bang
* 5A is still good

Lambda
* Zwei Blade (236B) startup has returned to CS version.
+ Ground throw wallbounces if close enough to the corner.
- after 214D normal hit, you can't combo with 5D, you can do dash 5B so it requires more reaction skill
- no invincibility for gravity move

Mu
+ 3C now jump cancelable, even on block
+ seems like D moves got some guaranteed frames
- 3C is techable again
- 6A has shorter untechable time
- J2C does not cause the knockdown, you need to RC to do the follow up combo

Valkenhayn
- Nacht Rozen no longer an overhead
- Throw > 2C no longer possible
- big nerf in combo damage, avg. 3k damage now

Arakune
* curse combo still does 8000+ damage
* 6D is positioned slightly farther away.
+ j.6[A/B/C] has been returned to BBCS version.
+ f.g can used in combo to recurse opponent
+ mist is faster, but lasts shorter
- slight increase in startup time before a warp.

Tager
+ 22D does 100 damage
+ 2C>3C added
- no follow up combo from regular throw

Hazama
+ jyabaki causes the wall bounce when hit on air
+ thus, 3C>jyabaki>5C works in corner
+ mid screen combos are pretty much 3C>214DA or Jyayoku>214DC>6C>dash2B
- attack level of chain moves decreased
- DOES NOT get back stocks when opponents blocked chain
- chain faints have shorter stun time, faster

Tsubaki
+ 5B is stronger, can be used as anti air.
+ 22C > 214D is possible.
- j.D's charging speed is the same as it was in CS1.

Platinum
* Appears unchanged since last location test.
* Has 5 Guard Primers
* Air dash animation is Platinum riding her staff like Cardcaptor Sakura. Hang time on the air dash is long. If she and another character air dash and attack at the same time, it might be possible for her opponent to hit her afterward before she lands.
+ Dash is pretty far.

Top Bottom