• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue IV: Central Fiction |OT| Be Ready For The Phantoms

Yeah, that's definitely true. BB has never had a character I really liked playing. I played Bang because he was the ninja, but I never liked him, and it's a big reason I never stuck it out.

Playing games at a friend's house this weekend. You're welcome to come, but he's only got one setup and we will almost 100% only play SF5, lol.

Next week at my place, though, definitely down to get my spell casting on.
Next weekend then, I'm there. I can't stomach any SFV until they give me a playable character that interests me. Let me know what you think of Hibiki.

Hubb

Is this game recommended for a Fighting Game noob (actually played some GG Xrd)? I really enjoyed the art style and characters.

What did you like and not like about GG Xrd? Since this game is just coming out you will have a much better chance of finding people like you who are knew to fighting games or at least new to BB to learn with. They do have a "stylish" mode for newer people, but I've personally never used it and can't really comment on it.

If you are just looking to get into fighting games, SFV might be a better starting point. If you are interested in anime fighting games, this or GG Revelator are both good starting points.

Hubb

Hahaha. :)

I think I am going to have to use a non-optimal Nine bnb for now. The double rock one I shared with you is just way too hard to do consistently.

You are talking about the 5A, 5C, 3C, 5D, 214A? If so the 214A needs to be delayed a second, once you get the timing down it is easy. Not sure it counts as bnb, but the extension to that is 5A, 5C, 3C, 5D, 5C, 6C, jC, jC, 5D, 214A. Don't delay the 214A on that combo.

I've forgotten how bad I am at air combos and IADing to the right. If only I ever needed to IAD to the left.

Skilletor

Hahaha. :)

I think I am going to have to use a non-optimal Nine bnb for now. The double rock one I shared with you is just way too hard to do consistently.

I'm having trouble figuring Nine out. She's just so foreign and technical and I'm not good at BB. Not giving up because she's such a fun character, but it'll be a long road.

Contrast this with Hibiki who just feels natural from the outset. It'll be good to learn both at the same time.

You are talking about the 5A, 5C, 3C, 5D, 214A? If so the 214A needs to be delayed a second, once you get the timing down it is easy. Not sure it counts as bnb, but the extension to that is 5A, 5C, 3C, 5D, 5C, 6C, jC, jC, 5D, 214A. Don't delay the 214A on that combo.

I've forgotten how bad I am at air combos and IADing to the right. If only I ever needed to IAD to the left.
IADing to the right is harder, and I think it's because muscle movement is easier outward than inward (pushing vs. pulling).

Can you link off of 214A after the rock? I thought you had to 6C first. It's rock, 6C, 214A that I have trouble with. If I can cut a 6C and lose like 100 damage that seems enticing. You definitely can't 5A after, though. It has to be 4A or 4C (I haven't even tried 4B...). 3C seems like it wouldn't link, either.

I'm having trouble figuring Nine out. She's just so foreign and technical and I'm not good at BB. Not giving up because she's such a fun character, but it'll be a long road.

Contrast this with Hibiki who just feels natural from the outset. It'll be good to learn both at the same time.
Here's the perfect set for you to watch:
https://www.twitch.tv/toushinsaiofficialtv/v/95001707

Vic_Bast

What did you like and not like about GG Xrd? Since this game is just coming out you will have a much better chance of finding people like you who are knew to fighting games or at least new to BB to learn with. They do have a "stylish" mode for newer people, but I've personally never used it and can't really comment on it.

If you are just looking to get into fighting games, SFV might be a better starting point. If you are interested in anime fighting games, this or GG Revelator are both good starting points.

What I like - Pacing, characters, the amazing tutorial and mission mode
What I didn't like - The rounds are "one-sided" most of time for me. I mean, playing as Leo I get countered a lot and if the enemy scores a knockdown, it is over.

I have already tried SFV, but the online is shitty where I live and I wanna play anime fighters.

Hubb

IADing to the right is harder, and I think it's because muscle movement is easier outward than inward (pushing vs. pulling).

Can you link off of 214A after the rock? I thought you had to 6C first. It's rock, 6C, 214A that I have trouble with. If I can cut a 6C and lose like 100 damage that seems enticing. You definitely can't 5A after, though. It has to be 4A or 4C (I haven't even tried 4B...). 3C seems like it wouldn't link, either.

The 2 combos I use are either 5A, 5C, 3C, 5D, 214A (with 214A delayed 1/2 a second) or what I mainly use now that I don't drop it 5A, 5C, 3C, 5D, 5C, 6C, jC, jC, 5D, 214A.

I haven't tried 5A, 5C, 3C, 5D, 6C, 214A

What I like - Pacing, characters, the amazing tutorial and mission mode
What I didn't like - The rounds are "one-sided" most of time for me. I mean, playing as Leo I get countered a lot and if the enemy scores a knockdown, it is over.

I have already tried SFV, but the online is shitty where I live and I wanna play anime fighters.

I can't speak to the tutorial because I haven't tried it yet, but I hope it is as good as GG Xrd's. Rounds being 1 sided I can't help you on. Even though this is a new game, a lot of people are going to come into it with knowledge and know the match ups. The positive is that it is a new game so hopefully new people pick it up to learn with.

The 2 combos I use are either 5A, 5C, 3C, 5D, 214A (with 214A delayed 1/2 a second) or what I mainly use now that I don't drop it 5A, 5C, 3C, 5D, 5C, 6C, jC, jC, 5D, 214A.

I haven't tried 5A, 5C, 3C, 5D, 6C, 214A

I can't speak to the tutorial because I haven't tried it yet, but I hope it is as good as GG Xrd's. Rounds being 1 sided I can't help you on. Even though this is a new game, a lot of people are going to come into it with knowledge and know the match ups. The positive is that it is a new game so hopefully new people pick it up to learn with.
OHHH, so you are doing 5A, 5C, 3C, 5D, 214A, and that's the end of your combo? This is the full combo I've been working on, broken into chunks that help me parse it:

5A, 5C, 3C, 5D, 6C
214A, 4C, 6A, 5D
6A, superjump, j.A, j.2A, 5D
falling 5A, standing 5A, 3C, 5D

That's her best midscreen oki pressure combo - it ends with knockdown into fairy. I just did it for the first time tonight after 3 hours of practice
in the corner, lol.

I'm about 50% on the 214A into 4C now; now it's all about the 6A into superjump follow-up from the second rock.

Also, a neat little corner reset combo I saw in a video:
5A, 5C, 3C, 5D
5C, 6C, superjump, 5B, 236D, 5D
236D, 5D, falling 2A

If you do this right, after the superjump you will stock the vines, swap your spell out, and hit with the void spell (which causes knockdown), swap back to the vine, and use it. You will land just as the vines hit, providing a good opportunity for an unblockable setup. The opponent cannot jump out of this in corners.

After fairy, just jumping forward into 2C is best I've found. Instant overhead and it combos into the fairy, and you can combo off of the fairy again once you land.

Hubb

OHHH, so you are doing 5A, 5C, 3C, 5D, 214A, and that's the end of your combo? This is the full combo I've been working on, broken into chunks that help me parse it:

That was the combo I started with, now I stick with the longer one I wrote. Thank you for the combo I'm definitely going to try it. I'm going to have to break it into chunks to practice it, specially the air part.

Generally I try to watch high level play and try to figure out the combos they use and then modify it to actually work for me. Even if I practice the best/longest combos and can nail them 100% in training I usually get nervous in real matches and drop them. I try to keep my combos as easy as possible and a lot of the time that means losing a few hundred damage. But that's ok for me, I'm not looking to go competitive just have a lot of fun and hopefully win a few matches.

I usually stay out of talking about combos because of that. Anything I post (unless I get it from someone else) is usually a slightly watered down version of a "full" combo that leads to the same ending (knockdown, corner combo, ect). I'll be forcing myself to play online a lot to try and break my issue, but I am horrendous at execution in online play.

After my 5th hour of practice, I got Nine's optimal bnb down 50% of the time. I feel amazing, hahaha!

I also have an unblockable reset that's really hard to get out of. :-D

That was the combo I started with, now I stick with the longer one I wrote. Thank you for the combo I'm definitely going to try it. I'm going to have to break it into chunks to practice it, specially the air part.

Generally I try to watch high level play and try to figure out the combos they use and then modify it to actually work for me. Even if I practice the best/longest combos and can nail them 100% in training I usually get nervous in real matches and drop them. I try to keep my combos as easy as possible and a lot of the time that means losing a few hundred damage. But that's ok for me, I'm not looking to go competitive just have a lot of fun and hopefully win a few matches.

I usually stay out of talking about combos because of that. Anything I post (unless I get it from someone else) is usually a slightly watered down version of a "full" combo that leads to the same ending (knockdown, corner combo, ect). I'll be forcing myself to play online a lot to try and break my issue, but I am horrendous at execution in online play.

I understand.

mnemonicj

(sigh) I love my fighting games, and the only way I play them is against another person because otherwise it is just ew. BlazBlue uses the same Guilty Gear business model and that keeps players so segregated that I can't even play online. SFV seems to have solved this (at least that's what it seems to me), so I keep hope to play BB some time down the road.

Skilletor

(sigh) I love my fighting games, and the only way I play them is against another person because otherwise it is just ew. BlazBlue uses the same Guilty Gear business model and that keeps players so segregated that I can't even play online. SFV seems to have solved this (at least that's what it seems to me), so I keep hope to play BB some time down the road.

Seems like they're just going to add DLC into this game. I understand not trusting ASW, though.

Couldn't play much this weekend. :(

Friend linked me to this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG59NBFx5ak

Was planning on putting a chunk of time in to play tonight, but then the wife said we have a birthday dinner to attend :(.

Kars - definitely up for this weekend. I'l be scrub tier in this game for awhile, though. :p

Holy shit Amane is fun now! Like seriously, his bigger routes have you just tossing people into literally every corner of the screen with ease. And I don't have to worry about anyone taking him since people will assume he's still ass from CPEX.

Rutger

Banned
Holy shit Amane is fun now! Like seriously, his bigger routes have you just tossing people into literally every corner of the screen with ease. And I don't have to worry about anyone taking him since people will assume he's still ass from CPEX.

I've been watching some Amane matches as I wait, he's looking pretty good. It's much easier to reach level 3 now, alongside many other much needed improvements. He will probably be a problem character for a lot of people, there's not many Amane players for the matchup exp. I'm looking forward to giving him another shot.

I've been watching some Amane matches as I wait, he's looking pretty good. It's much easier to reach level 3 now, alongside many other much needed improvements. He will probably be a problem character for a lot of people, there's not many Amane players for the matchup exp. I'm looking forward to giving him another shot.

He should also give Arakune a lot of problems, which is a huuuuuge plus in my book.

Isotope

Been excited to play CF, so I decided to pull the trigger and pre-ordered to get access to the demo. I could have just bought the JPN copy, but eh, I don't mind waiting a bit longer. So far, I'm really enjoying playing as Hibiki; I'm trying to get the hang of Nine, and Kokonoe is still fun to play as.

Waiting for the day we'll get Jubei. 8')

Man I am not vibing with ANYBODY in this game so far. Everyone I played in CP feels super off aside from Azrael (which, it's Azrael lol) and Naoto/Susanoo, who I was excited for, aren't gelling any better. I tried Hibiki for a bit and he seems like he might fit well with the way I play. If he doesn't I might not stick with CF as long as I was intending.

RoeBear

Man I am not vibing with ANYBODY in this game so far. Everyone I played in CP feels super off aside from Azrael (which, it's Azrael lol) and Naoto/Susanoo, who I was excited for, aren't gelling any better. I tried Hibiki for a bit and he seems like he might fit well with the way I play. If he doesn't I might not stick with CF as long as I was intending.

Yeah I was feeling the same. Naoto made me excited for the game, but for some reason I can't consistently do anything. Susanoo is just alright. Going back to Relius and he's pretty nice. With how often they change characters, it's only a matter of time before your main is totally different.

If you like both of those characters, I would recommend trying Tsubaki. Hibiki took some of the gatlings that Tsubaki has and is pretty gorilla like Azrael in CF.

Yeah I was feeling the same. Naoto made me excited for the game, but for some reason I can't consistently do anything. Susanoo is just alright. Going back to Relius and he's pretty nice. With how often they change characters, it's only a matter of time before your main is totally different.

It's not a surprise that you can't be consistent with Naoto. He is a really high execution character. There are Japanese players who have played for the past year who consistently drop combos offline. He's really cool though and I wish I could use him too, but my hands just don't work that way.

RoeBear

If you like both of those characters, I would recommend trying Tsubaki. Hibiki took some of the gatlings that Tsubaki has and is pretty gorilla like Azrael in CF.

It's not a surprise that you can't be consistent with Naoto. He is a really high execution character. There are Japanese players who have played for the past year who consistently drop combos offline. He's really cool though and I wish I could use him too, but my hands just don't work that way.
Yeah like his dash cancel combos are so cool but even like hour long sessions while playing him make my hands cramp like crazy.

Can't wait for this. Any impressions on how the sprites look on the PS4? I recall CPEX having some complaints about them being scaled poorly if running the PS4 in 1080p and I've all but stopped using my PS3 except for my backlog, so I actually skipped CPEX entirely.

Looking forward to Mai because s/he looks very much like my play style.
and my eventual return to Litchi because it's always been that way. Makoto? awesome, now back to Litchi. Bullet? awesome! Now back to Litchi..../

Mephala

Is this worth importing or should I just wait for the release in EU/AU? I'm still bitter with the way EU was super late with GGXrd and we weren't even patched so we can play against NA. The numbers in the lobby were so few it pretty much meant it was either local or vs cpu and if it is just going to be like that again I'll wait for a price drop in my country.

If I import I won't be able to get the DLCs right?

Is this worth importing or should I just wait for the release in EU/AU? I'm still bitter with the way EU was super late with GGXrd and we weren't even patched so we can play against NA. The numbers in the lobby were so few it pretty much meant it was either local or vs cpu and if it is just going to be like that again I'll wait for a price drop in my country.

If I import I won't be able to get the DLCs right?

Might as well wait for EU version, it's less than 3 weeks away. Since Xrd Revelator it's been a new publisher in Europe, PQube, who have been good and fast with releases, patches and communication.

I got burned on vanilla Xrd too but i'm glad they turned it around.

RoeBear

There's no greater feeling than being ranked dark green and being challenged by a pink then proceed to rock their world.

Seems like they're just going to add DLC into this game. I understand not trusting ASW, though.

Couldn't play much this weekend. :(

Friend linked me to this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG59NBFx5ak

Was planning on putting a chunk of time in to play tonight, but then the wife said we have a birthday dinner to attend :(.

Kars - definitely up for this weekend. I'l be scrub tier in this game for awhile, though. :p
I'm there. Three day weekend, so nothing is holding me back! :-D

Can't wait for this. Any impressions on how the sprites look on the PS4? I recall CPEX having some complaints about them being scaled poorly if running the PS4 in 1080p and I've all but stopped using my PS3 except for my backlog, so I actually skipped CPEX entirely.

Looking forward to Mai because s/he looks very much like my play style.
and my eventual return to Litchi because it's always been that way. Makoto? awesome, now back to Litchi. Bullet? awesome! Now back to Litchi..../

IMO they look dated, but I'm here for gameplay.

So is Es like Azrael's little sister because damn I just felt like I was getting bullied with gorilla normals. Granted playing Hibiki probably played a part since I'm still not comfortable with his ranges and her sword is the size of his body.

I was at Skilletor's house tonight playing BlazBlue, and the game looks significantly better on his TV than it does on mine - my image is very pixelated. Our TVs are roughly the same size and I'm at 1080p. Is there a setting on my TV that can help with this or something?

I was at Skilletor's house tonight playing BlazBlue, and the game looks significantly better on his TV than it does on mine - my image is very pixelated. Our TVs are roughly the same size and I'm at 1080p. Is there a setting on my TV that can help with this or something?

Presumably. Go through all your settings and make sure everything is set right, both TV and PS4

Hubb

Mai Natsume is out on the JP store. 800 yen.

She'll be available in NA for 7.99 day 1 it seems.

I forgot, are there any preorder extras?

You mean physical or digital? The only extra I know of is Es, but I'm 99% sure you can download her without owning the game during the first week. Any of the physical goodies are all in the limited edition.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I tried Mai out for a bit (on the Japanese version) and she feels like "BlazBlue easy mode." Very beginner-friendly and fun as hell to play as. I think my scrubby ass may have found a new main, although I also still like Es.

Naite

I didn't realize there wasn't a save upload/download like xrd has. So I guess I lost all my jpn version progress. Oh well.

Been playing a lot of Mai recently. Really enjoying her. Does a bunch of Ramlethal style strings but much more easier to handle. The damage off a random 5A/2A is pretty good.

Hubb

Tager hard challenge #10. I cannot get beyond the Gadget Finger (miss) part. In other words, I always fail at the crouching A after it. Is there some kind of trick/delay to it?

Naite

Oh Canada.....
5luCa5w.jpg

The Japanese version was cheaper for me by about $1.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So I noticed that Kotaku finally took notice, which lead to an epiphany. Bad reviews will send a big message as well. So if you write for a review site and plan on covering Central Fiction, let 'em have it! Every word helps. Mention the lack of dub and how the developers haven't responded to fan demand for the dub. They will notice. A bad Metacritic rating is hard to ignore.
Fucking lol this is stupid

Hubb

Fucking lol this is stupid

What is, that a metacritic review would mean anything to the devs or reviewers mentioning the lack of dub? I fully expect nothing to happen, but I hope every reviewer mentions it. Whether you like the dub or not, it was a feature that has been in all the other games. Makes sense for a reviewer to take that into account. Whether that is enough to affect their score or not is up to them.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What is, that a metacritic review would mean anything to the devs or reviewers mentioning the lack of dub? I fully expect nothing to happen, but I hope every reviewer mentions it. Whether you like the dub or not, it was a feature that has been in all the other games. Makes sense for a reviewer to take that into account. Whether that is enough to affect their score or not is up to them.

Bad reviews will send a big message as well. So if you write for a review site and plan on covering Central Fiction, let 'em have it!
^ This

Top Bottom