• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue IV: Central Fiction |OT| Be Ready For The Phantoms

Hubb

I don't agree with that, but if a "legit" reviewer wants to knock 1/.5 point off because they like the dub and it is missing I am ok with that. I'm not a reviewer but that is what I'd do. It is a feature that is missing that directly affects my enjoyment of the game.

Got the game today.

Gonna stick with Es, Noel and Celica after doing some tutorial mode stuff with themsince they feel like babby's first fighting game characters.

Once I get used to them I'll move only other characters I'm interested in like Jin, Tao and Hibiki.

Anbec7

Oh man the netcode experience has been bad for me... at least my friends and I usually play this more locally.
Madness this weekend LOL

Amazon says the game should arrive to me by Friday. I'm looking to try out Mai because I do generally think Spears are a pretty cool weapon. I used to play CT and CS years ago and I played Bang back then, looking to try the new characters though.

Mai = easy mode. Definitely a good beginner character.

Heh, I just hopes that she has decent pokes and at least some good options to open characters up. I really don't care if a character is beginner or not, since this isn't my first anime game. I've tried playing various archetypes in a lot of different games, and there is only 1 thing that would completely turn me off from a character and that is crappy normals. I normally would add being butt ugly, but recently I played lots of SF5 "Banana Hair" Alex.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
She seems pretty good all-around, but that's just my initial impressions.

Bebpo

Banned
Ummm, I got the game today, went to the store and bought the 3 DLC characters and it says they are installed but when I load the game they're not on the player select screen? I'm confused.

Lyte Edge

Also interesting is that this game has an in-game message board. Kind of a cool idea.

Ummm, I got the game today, went to the store and bought the 3 DLC characters and it says they are installed but when I load the game they're not on the player select screen? I'm confused.

Are you sure the 1.01 update installed? Maybe try deleting and re-installing the game. I had to do this-- the first time I tried playing, I went to the in-game store and tried to purchase colors using points, and the PS4 completely shut down on me. The game then wouldn't start and I had to re-install. Been fine since then.

Did you buy while the game was already active and running? It only does the DLC check when booting it up.

Bebpo

Banned
Did you buy while the game was already active and running? It only does the DLC check when booting it up.

Nah, bought before booting. Also quit and reset the system and started the game again and they're still not there.

Also interesting is that this game has an in-game message board. Kind of a cool idea.

Are you sure the 1.01 update installed? Maybe try deleting and re-installing the game. I had to do this-- the first time I tried playing, I went to the in-game store and tried to purchase colors using points, and the PS4 completely shut down on me. The game then wouldn't start and I had to re-install. Been fine since then.

Yeah, probably need to delete the game and re-install. Something must have gotten messed up between downloading and installing the 1.01 update and downloading and installing the DLC.

Bebpo

Banned
Other question I have is, I have all 4 BB games but I've never really played the story mode, just vs. If I want to get into the story, should I just read a summary of games 1-3 and then play CF's story mode? Or is the story super epic with tons of amazing moments that I shouldn't miss so I should start at the first game and go through all 4 story modes? Fwiw, I wouldn't have wanted to read just a summary of Xrd Sign and skip to Revelator's story mode because Sign has some real nice moments that are worth watching.

cj_iwakura

Other question I have is, I have all 4 BB games but I've never really played the story mode, just vs. If I want to get into the story, should I just read a summary of games 1-3 and then play CF's story mode? Or is the story super epic with tons of amazing moments that I shouldn't miss so I should start at the first game and go through all 4 story modes? Fwiw, I wouldn't have wanted to read just a summary of Xrd Sign and skip to Revelator's story mode because Sign has some real nice moments that are worth watching.
Best experienced the long way. The gag reels are so good.

SephLuis

I just wanted to note how damn fun is to play as Nine and that I am sad they made so many changes to Litchi =(

Honestly, I haven't been bothered by that many changes since CS II

How many chapters is the story? Is it as large as they said, 30+ hr or whatever?

12 episodes with 100 chapters of varying length that can also have optional sub chapters or one of the gag endings. There aren't too many fights.
Also there's (almost) every character having 3 arcade modes if you wanna count that.

Soulflarz

Banned
12 episodes with 100 chapters of varying length that can also have optional sub chapters or one of the gag endings. There aren't too many fights.
Also there's (almost) every character having 3 arcade modes if you wanna count that.
Tyy

Mashing x on repeat scenes (ie- ragna eating with tao for the millionth time, all of ep3 has been seen before) and wow this isn't long?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
My brother HATES fighting my Nine with Naoto. It does seem pretty weird how many options, moments in invulnerability, and ability to attack out of moves she has.

I'm surprised I still have ANY muscle memory for Tsubaki. Haven't played her since she was first introduced on Xbox 360, but still remember some of the stuff.

Aksys is so obsessed with boob animation. Ys E's looks so... yeah. Don't feel the art matches the sprite too well in that regard... I think I dislike their profile/chara arts a bit more each iteration, lol. Bullet looks quite uncomfortable in her new art (Though the art of her by Daisuke Ishiwatari in the gallery looks pretty awesome), but I never entirely liked her default stance either (though I enjoy playing her.)

Azrael still looks pretty awesome, though.

I do KINDA miss the English voices, but Nine pretty much says all her move names as straightforward as possible, lol. I got used to a lot of English in Azrael VS Bullet Battles in... Chronophantasma? Whichever one, but it's easy enough to get used to pure JP for me.

Playing GGXRDR actually makes me appreciate BB's musical variety more. And of course I like the unlockable themes and stuff all around. Lot of Lab Zero guest artwork in that gallery too... cool, cool.

Gonna try to give all the bonus modes (I.E. everything not versus!) more time in this release. CPE's story got so exhaustively long with so little PLAYING, don't think I ever completed it. Maybe this time...

I think I dislike their profile/chara arts a bit more each iteration, lol. Bullet looks quite uncomfortable in her new art (Though the art of her by Daisuke Ishiwatari in the gallery looks pretty awesome), but I never entirely liked her default stance either (though I enjoy playing her.)

I'm not sure I'd call the art in this version the worst one, but some just looks bad. Bullet as already mentioned is one of those, and Izayoi's art is easily the worst Tsubaki has looked in the CSS.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm not sure I'd call the art in this version the worst one, but some just looks bad. Bullet as already mentioned is one of those, and Izayoi's art is easily the worst Tsubaki has looked in the CSS.

Is it me, or does her art look like Tsubaki's throw whiff animation? It's so... awkward. It's almost like they have no idea how to make some of the characters look cool, and just focus on over-selling the over exposed assets or body parts.

Their art just seems so.. overly fetish-y. I feel most other fighters at least offer 1 or 2 characters that let you stop thinking "this design appeals to a pervy demographic!", but it's like BB NEVER turns it off, lol. The only kinda-cool aspect about the extremity is that they seem to also focus on less-obvious variety (very bare backs, occasionally smaller breasts, more variance in sexy dude designs). I feel like I have to temper my design love for their characters because there's always SOMETHING that feels super stupid about them. And as the cast grows bigger (it's pretty big now, for sure), it never deviates from this, which always manages to surprise me.

At least gameplay shifts. Tsubaki left me in a feel of "Why doesn't she have THIS or THIS?!" when I picked her up way back when. Nine feels like "Wow, Why does she need THIS AND THIS?!", and I'm awaiting expected nerfs! E's feels so UNIB-like that her air-dash even reminds me of the game, and that's actually quite cool...

Rutger

Banned
With the game out, I can finally see what the changes feel like first hand.

I'm really happy with Kokonoe in this game, while she's obviously not as strong as the 1.1 version I'm used to, her new tools are a lot of fun. For once I don't think I'll be changing mains with a new BB game!

It feels pretty good to be playing this series again, but I have a lot to work on now. I've never truly been great at BB, and I want to take this one seriously.

robo_qwop

So i sit there and take relentless pressure with no defensive options, luckily get a knock down then get mashed jab on oki? An I understanding this game correctly?

HotHamBoy

I know people will hand-wave it as Standard Operating Procedure for ArcSys, but it's pretty bullshit to charge $60 for the game, with only 5 new characters, and sell a completely finished DLC character on release day for $9.

Of course, the game will be $25 by December so I will just wait. It's still really distasteful. More disappointing than the lack of a dub.

AALLx

With the game out, I can finally see what the changes feel like first hand.

I'm really happy with Kokonoe in this game, while she's obviously not as strong as the 1.1 version I'm used to, her new tools are a lot of fun. For once I don't think I'll be changing mains with a new BB game!

It feels pretty good to be playing this series again, but I have a lot to work on now. I've never truly been great at BB, and I want to take this one seriously.
Loved that they changed the 236B to spinning rockets that are both anti-air and also movement option at the same time. I've read that they removed the i-frames from 22C though, so it can't be used to get out of corners anymore.

So i sit there and take relentless pressure with no defensive options, luckily get a knock down then get mashed jab on oki? An I understanding this game correctly?
Which character are you using? Learn your okizeme options and get the feel of wake-up timings. If you're properly doing oki jab can't interrupt you

Which games did you have? CSE has a condensed version of CT main story, while CPE has condensed versions of CT and CS main stories. CF has a summarized version of all past events, though it's a really short summary being narrated by a couple of characters.

If you just want the gist of the story without missing key events, I suggest playing the CT and CS anthologies in CPE, then CPE, and then CF. This is the best way of catching up.

If you want to go through all character paths to see their motivations, gag reels, and side events, then play everything. I wouldn't suggest this as one version can take more than a few days to finish.

Is it me, or does her art look like Tsubaki's throw whiff animation? It's so... awkward.

Awkward is the right word yeah. I get that they are going for a dynamic attack pose, but it just looks like she's tripping while breaking her spine to show her boobs.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I know people will hand-wave it as Standard Operating Procedure for ArcSys, but it's pretty bullshit to charge $60 for the game, with only 5 new characters, and sell a completely finished DLC character on release day for $9.

Of course, the game will be $25 by December so I will just wait. It's still really distasteful. More disappointing than the lack of a dub.

I would have liked it more if the base game was $10 cheaper, so the "real price" didn't feel like it was inflated beyond normal expectations. With as much concent as all the BB's share, I'd figure they could lower the base price incrementally on each release, or at least not go max full price each time.

I was annoyed with CT... CPE? One of them, when they had previous stage versions and stuff up for sale, and I still think selling system voices (which should just be unlockables) should be enough to cover their extra cost. I also don't like most of the extra color palettes they sale, as they look like pretty much the same palettes spread across multiple characters, which should be more of a bonus, not a premium.

But I am happy to see previous soundtracks, more colors, and multiple stage designs included in the base game now, at least. Even an alt look for Noel as an in-game unlock.

At least one of our Day 1 DLC characters was free. And the pre-order demo stuff also feels pretty generous. They have a weird business model, but they're pushing me more towards appreciating how much they're trying to do, rather than being annoyed at their missteps. And 5 new characters and a bunch of new moves on the returners actually feels fairly packed for this series, while still ignoring whatever story content and stuff I haven't really paid attention to yet.

Awkward is the right word yeah. I get that they are going for a dynamic attack pose, but it just looks like she's tripping while breaking her spine to show her boobs.

Yup, there's just so much art where the passive "sexy" side seems to have tried WAY too hard to be the focus, and therefore, the actual cool side, which normally lays with the intent (defense, attack, etc), seems like it's been shifted to a poorly presented secondary tone. Their design priorities are all jumbled and poorly communicated, and it's just... unfortunate. But they're had YEARS and bunches of expensive iterations to sort this stuff out, so it's just proof now that they LIKE the tone they have...

Kysen

So many new characters to try out. Also it seems they really want you to use overdrive now, that new attack is cool.

I don't like what they did to Mu's 63214B its range is way shorter now.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Is it worse than Taokaka's CS art? That always looked ridiculous to me.

Let's compare!

Taokaka.jpg
VS

My Anti-favorite is still Bullet's:

Wish we had more like this:

tumblr_inline_nrir3zDuYl1repoq8_500.png

If you're character doesn't have a DP reversal move you can use your overdrive whilst blocking (A+B+C+D) which gives some invulnerability frames. You can also guard cancel whilst blocking by pressing 6A+B (forward A+B) at the cost of 50 meter.

When knocked down, you can delay your tech and roll forward or back to try and throw of their oki, plenty of defensive options.

Haganeren

Hum.... The game is out in a few days in Europe and i'm wondering.

The PS4 Graphical quality is superior (i guess) but the PS3 has free online.
... But i don't play online THAT much... But i still play it a little.

So is the PS4 graphical bump worth it ? What's different compared to the PS3 version ?

PS : Also, how much do you need to have seen XBlaze for understanding all the game story ?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is Mai unlockable in game or can she only be bought? Kinda scummy if the character is done and on-disc but they charge you like 10%+ of what the whole game costs. :(

Played a bunch of matches with a friend and learned a few things:

I need to choose someone to learn between Noel and Lambda or just learn both of them.

I am shit at recovery and constantly leave myself open.

I never block in the air and leave myself open.

LEARN COMBOS

NEO0MJ

Let's compare!

So bad.

So is the PS4 graphical bump worth it ? What's different compared to the PS3 version ?

I imagine only the stages benefit from the boost as the original sprites are still meant for 720p.

Is Mai unlockable in game or can she only be bought? Kinda scummy if the character is done and on-disc but they charge you like 10%+ of what the whole game costs. :(

Buy only. Only ES is available for free.

Rutger

Banned
Loved that they changed the 236B to spinning rockets that are both anti-air and also movement option at the same time. I've read that they removed the i-frames from 22C though, so it can't be used to get out of corners anymore.

I believe 22C still has a lot of i-frames, just not on frame 1, so we need a bit of a gap to make it work. It's situational, but it makes sense for her to not have a strong defensive game.

Soulflarz

Banned
Played a bunch of matches with a friend and learned a few things:

I need to choose someone to learn between Noel and Lambda or just learn both of them.

I am shit at recovery and constantly leave myself open.

I never block in the air and leave myself open.

LEARN COMBOS

Hit D->mash->add in distortion drive if relevant

Congrats, you are now a decent Noel player and can say shes your main/secondary as a casual player.

My Anti-favorite is still Bullet's:

Wish we had more like this:

tumblr_inline_nrir3zDuYl1repoq8_500.png

God that battle pose is just so much cooler than the CSS art. Why can't we just have that

If you're character doesn't have a DP reversal move you can use your overdrive whilst blocking (A+B+C+D) which gives some invulnerability frames.

Doesn't that need to be during a gap in the offense? IIRC doing it during block gives you a burst.

PS : Also, how much do you need to have seen XBlaze for understanding all the game story ?

I haven't read XBlaze and I was fine

Dlent

Definitely wasn't on disc, the game would crash if an unpatched version tried to netplay against her.

Lyte Edge

The Mai tax is high, but worth it.

Make sure to add me on PSN: Karsticles.

Is Mai free?

Nope.

Mai wasn't done until recently.

Doesn't mean the character couldn't have been released for free, though. But no one should have expected that-- this is the same company who charges for extra colors and system voice options.

Doesn't mean the character couldn't have been released for free, though. But no one should have expected that-- this is the same company who charges for extra colors and system voice options.

I don't completely disagree with your opinion, but I was just answering that Mai wasn't finished until recently.

Es was free, and so was Susanoo.

I'm guessing the only way they could add Mai was with DLC price in mind.

edit: week 1 free would've been nice though

Hubb

I'd say picture #4 with picture #1's pants. Actually looking at all of these makes me realize how much I don't like his pants.

Top Bottom