• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleach Manga |OT| Return of the King

Jarnet87

I jumped ship during the
reforging of Ichigo's Zanpakuto and his discovery of his Quincy past, I just couldn't bring myself to see Ichigo be a human-shinagami-hollow-quincy. It's just cheating, man.
Has the manga gotten any better in the year or whatever I've missed?

its been downhill since the soul society rescue arc. It just alternates between straight drops of crap (Fullbringer, Fake Karakura Town) and slow descents (Arrancar, Heuco Mundo arc)

its been downhill since the soul society rescue arc. It just alternates between straight drops of crap (Fullbringer, Fake Karakura Town) and slow descents (Arrancar, Heuco Mundo arc)

I know you're not saying it is, but I don't think it's been all bad. Hell, I like Vizards/Arrancars. I like Heuco Mundo. But I don't like these established rules that keep getting broken for narrative convenience and I don't like Ichigo's "Goku" syndrome. At least they put Goku on the bench to flesh out other characters sometimes. Ichigo just finds out he's even more special.

It will be an Genkidama rip off, but instead of energy and putting the hand sin the air, Ichigo will take an eye from every human, shinigami, hollow, quincy, ghost, veizard, etc. and put them all in his own. Yhwach did unerestimate how many eyes the world has.
Awesome. If I were filthy rich, I would pay Kubo to draw that.

ohlawd

I'm still hoping for Yhwach's "A" to not be "The Almighty" but rather "The Aizen"

everyone in the manga is convinced that he's got this all-seeing power and Ichigo spends a shit load of time to prep for it then Yhwach says "when were you under the impression that A stood for Almighty?"

Then Aizen

yes pls

Ugh. This guy's defeat at the hands of Ichigo won't be satisfying at all. They've already made Ywach or Bach or whatever a god. It's guaranteed that the only way Ichigo can win is to pull out even greater godlihood out of his ass, which just isn't satisfying. I hope we at least get another Aizen fight. Ichigo sucks so much. The only reason he wins is because he's the main character. Time and time again the manga has shown that there are shinigami much stronger than he is and yet he's the one who always beats the villain.

Struggling to think of the last time watching Ichigo fight someone yielded a satisfying conclusion. Grimmjow?

Chariot

What action manga does not do this? I am really curious. Hell, even food manga like Soma does this.
Mx0? xD
It used to be true for Hunter x Hunter, until one single fight made it not entirely true anymore (and even than it was a lot of better than manga's like Bleach do). Other action manga without hax that come to mind are Full Metal Alchemist
Father is getting pretty damn strong at the end, he isn't Hax though, he can't just walk through everything he gets visible hurt by everything and over the course of the series itself powerlevels stay stable
. One Piece is a weird example, since I am not sure how to judge the willpower thing in that context, but it has fairly consistent powerscale. I especially like how enemies from the earlier arcs reappear without lacking much behind.

And on the other side is Shaman King that hax actually viable (in my eyes), even if it is full of dumb moments. But I found that super interesting.
The Big Bad is older and so much stronger than anyone else and wins the tournament story arc easily and the story ends with him winning, because not even the whole main cast can't take him. They just talk him into giving them time to change the corrupted world themselves, since he actually now has unlimited time with his giant power.

jstripes

Banned
Your argumenent was really well argued and top notch that it deserved such a well convincing rebuttal.
My "argument" was just reflecting the opinion in this thread.

What action manga does not do this? I am really curious. Hell, even food manga like Soma does this.

It's been 15 years since I read it, but I don't recall Rurouni Kenshin having god-level bullshit going on.

RangerBAD

It's been 15 years since I read it, but I don't recall Rurouni Kenshin having god-level bullshit going on.

To be fair, Bleach is more in the Dragon Ball category of shounen. The train > fight type manga. Kenshin really wasn't. Some of the guys were really strong, but not on the level of Goku.

Welfare

I'm still hoping for Yhwach's "A" to not be "The Almighty" but rather "The Aizen"

everyone in the manga is convinced that he's got this all-seeing power and Ichigo spends a shit load of time to prep for it then Yhwach says "when were you under the impression that A stood for Almighty?"

Then Aizen

yes pls

This is now canon.

And any other ending involving Aizen.

Then Aizen

yes pls

plsssssssssssssssssssssssss

Syntsui

Guys, remember when Vasto Lordes were supposed to be the big shots? They hyped them like they would be super relevant and then... =(.

That is absolutely not the problem.
The problem is the absolutely horrendous execution.
DBZ pulled it off pretty well with Freeza and pretty every villain ever, even freaking Bu.
Yu Yu Hakusho pulled it really well too, even for something like Toguro where the only reason he was so strong was really "because".
HxH pulled it off the most beautifully way multiple times even (seriously the King!).
One Piece is doing it RIGHT NOW and it's better than anything Bleach ever tried.
Fairy Tail, the epitome of run of the mill battle shonen, runs circle around current Bleach.
There is no tension, no suspense and really nothing at stake here.
It's boring beamspam after boring beam spam.
For all we know YHWH won because his opponent's body really wanted out of the manga more than anything.
It is not bad, it's actually worse than bad.
DBZ power ups are ass pull as any other manga.
YYH had its share of ass pulls.
Gon killing the Pitou was so extremely dumb. Yeah jump in ability by making himself older or something.
One piece has never had anything on Bleach. From the Crocodile fight to the ass pull gears power up tp Zorro's and Sanji's ass pull power ups throughout the manga.
Fairy Tail friendship power up has been a joke since the beginning of the manga.
Talk about tension huh, you seem new to shonen manga. No tension in Bleach except when soul society was destroyed, or when Aizen was revealed. And lol on holding Bleach to a different standard as if not every shonen manga ever had its main characters win over villains in most arcs.
Your opinion is extremely biased and means absolutely nothing.
How else would you describe it? Awesome art has nothing to do with the absurdity of how shit is playing out lol..
Saying that Kubo had a brain seizure is really Really dumb. You don't have to hyperbole everything to that extent.

Guys, remember when Vasto Lordes were supposed to be the big shots? They hyped them like they would be super relevant and then... =(.
Yes Vasto Lorde the one like Ulquiorra who destroyed Ichigo.
Or Barragan who dominated Soi Fong like she was nothing.
Or Starrk who fought two senior captains and destroyed two vizard captains.
Or Wonder Wiess who destroyed Kensei and Lisa, and took a shit load of beating from the captain commander. Yeah, Vasto Lorde lived up to the hype and then some.

Which is exactly the problem with this thread. There's no discussion there's just trolling.

I have not read Rurouni Kenshin so I can't comment on it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Vasto Lordes and Captains are still amazingly powerful beings in the Bleach universe. The series is just experiencing the tail end of a constant power creep, where the current heroes and villains are at the very top tier of existence. And, honestly, Bleach isn't nearly as bad regarding this as some other shonen manga. The actual fights/abilities are a different story, but the way the raw concept of a power creep is handled isn't too bad.

Aizen. He planned everything already.
That's just as crazy as saying Batman can beat Superman Prime.

He can. Just like Aizen.

At this point, we should get a reveal that the "future" Yhwach is seeing has been Aizen's illusion the whole time. In fact, everything was an illusion; Aizen was actually a good guy. His whole plan was to lure out and trick Yhwach.

Mx0? xD
It used to be true for Hunter x Hunter, until one single fight made it not entirely true anymore (and even than it was a lot of better than manga's like Bleach do). Other action manga without hax that come to mind are Full Metal Alchemist
Father is getting pretty damn strong at the end, he isn't Hax though, he can't just walk through everything he gets visible hurt by everything and over the course of the series itself powerlevels stay stable
. One Piece is a weird example, since I am not sure how to judge the willpower thing in that context, but it has fairly consistent powerscale. I especially like how enemies from the earlier arcs reappear without lacking much behind.

And on the other side is Shaman King that hax actually viable (in my eyes), even if it is full of dumb moments. But I found that super interesting.
The Big Bad is older and so much stronger than anyone else and wins the tournament story arc easily and the story ends with him winning, because not even the whole main cast can't take him. They just talk him into giving them time to change the corrupted world themselves, since he actually now has unlimited time with his giant power.
FMA SPOILERS
Honestly I consider Edward's power up at the end to be an ass pull. For one I don't think the exchange was equivalent. Getting an arm back and your brother's body for losing alchemy, I don't see that exchange as equivalent. That really bothered me at the end of the manga.

Shaman King spoilers

Isnt that like talk no jutsu, which seems fairly convenient at the end? I mean honestly one can break anything to make it look bad

Funny thing about that is after that part of the arc was done I was almost left wondering if Hitsugaya was joking about how strong the Vasto Lordes were prior to their introduction.

If it weren't for Harribel being shown to be a Vasto Lorde at recruitment I would have forgotten they existed.

the whole Arrancar shit was hilarious, the vasto lorde were hyped to be even stronger than captains and when the time came to put in work they ended up losing with SS not taking a single casuality.

Even Aizen was embarrased at how badly they failed and had to solo the captains.

Syntsui

Wow wow wow the Espadas were Vasto Lordes? When was this announced? Was this mangá only?

Up until now I thought they never showed any Vasto Lorde. I just watched the anime at the time and I don't remember it really well but I'm really surprised right now.

Yeah it wasn't confirmed they were vasto lordes until way later(Harribel is the only confirmed one but the two/three stronger than her had to be as well of course) at the time no one thought they were vasto lordes because of how badly they shit the bed.

Wow wow wow the Espadas were Vasto Lordes? When was this announced? Was this mangá only?

Up until now I thought they never showed any Vasto Lorde. I just watched the anime at the time and I don't remember it really well but I'm really surprised right now.
I believe only Hallibel is officially stated to be a Vasto Lorde. Barragan and Starrk are assumed to be because they outrank her, and Ulquiorra is also assumed to be because he looks like one, I guess. I suppose Nel could be one, too, since her previous rank was 3.

Hallibel jobbing to random Sternritter doesn't speak very highly of Vasto Lorde, though.

Harribel was the only one confirmed to be a Vasto Lorde. This was her form before becoming an Arrancar and Espada:

JuMAKI4.png

It can only be assumed Starrk and Barragan (and I guess Ulquiorra, which is a huge stretch) were Vasto Lordes as well.

For further useless information: Grimmjow was an Adjuchas and Aaroniero Arruruerie a Gillian.

Well, Yhwach is basically god now? (Though those fucking eyes are even more ridiculous than the mangekyo sharingan/rinnegan in naruto)

Seriously this has become so uninteresting, it's more of a shore to read it nowadays...

Syntsui

Harribel was the only one confirmed to be a Vasto Lorde. This was her form before becoming an Arrancar and Espada:

It can only be assumed Starrk and Barragan (and I guess Ulquiorra, which is a huge stretch) were Vasto Lordes as well.

For further useless information: Grimmjow was an Adjuchas and Aaroniero Arruruerie a Gillian.

These supposed Vasto Lordes were dealt with as they were Cannon fodder, yet we got a tease that Grimmjow might be alive in Hueco Mundo. Oh shit...

jstripes

Banned
Which is exactly the problem with this thread. There's no discussion there's just trolling.
"Trolling", as you see it here,
it's actually just ridicule,
is a natural response to ridiculous bullshit.

I have not read Rurouni Kenshin so I can't comment on it.
Read it. It's very worth while. It was Jump's top manga in the period leading up to the Naruto/One Piece/Bleach trinity.

Corgi

Banned
you know that quote about combat from urahara from way back about pistols vs rocket launchers or some shit pretty much applies to every fight lol.

I mean this fight is pretty much a repeat of Aizen fight.

Did they ever reveal who mystery man that urahara saw like a year ago was?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
FMA SPOILERS
Honestly I consider Edward's power up at the end to be an ass pull. For one I don't think the exchange was equivalent. Getting an arm back and your brother's body for losing alchemy, I don't see that exchange as equivalent. That really bothered me at the end of the manga.

Al transmuted Ed's arm for his soul, Ed didn't trade anything for his arm. Ed traded his alchemy, his door of truth specifically, for Al. You basically misunderstood the entire thing, the truth takes things away when people don't recognize their limits and tread on God's domain. By giving up his door, Ed recognizes his limits as a person and the punishment is reversed as the lesson is learned. The whole point of his monologue before giving up his door is that he realizes what he did wrong and how he shouldn't have been so arrogant, then he surrenders the power he had as a repentance.
It's not a power-up.

jstripes

Banned
Did they ever reveal who mystery man that urahara saw like a year ago was?

Who the hell knows.

But we still have the Vizards and Yotsuya's sister coming into the picture, Rukia, Ushida, whoever comes over from that mission in Hueco Mundo, the remaining shinigami, and that zombie-controlling trans person who at last appearance seemed upset. (Each arc has bad guys who switch sides.) Oh, and Ichigo.

So, at least two years more worth of material.

I can't even bother to read it anymore now that Naruto is over. Bleach is the metaphorical leftovers in the fridge that get eaten because the main meal didn't fill you up.

I believe only Hallibel is officially stated to be a Vasto Lorde. Barragan and Starrk are assumed to be because they outrank her, and Ulquiorra is also assumed to be because he looks like one, I guess. I suppose Nel could be one, too, since her previous rank was 3.

Hallibel jobbing to random Sternritter doesn't speak very highly of Vasto Lorde, though.

Ulquiorra, Barragan, Starrk, Harribel, and Wonder Wiess are Vasto lorde. Starrk, Ulquiorra, and Wonder Wiess are confirmed Vasto lorde. Wonder Wiess when Aizen showed the power of the Hougyoku. He was humoined which is a big sign of a Vasto lorde. Starrk when he can showed his power, splitting his soul and killing his hollows with just his riatsu. Ulquiorra and the mentioned were confirmed Vasto Lorde in the data book that was released about the arrancars.
"Trolling", as you see it here,
it's actually just ridicule,
is a natural response to ridiculous bullshit.

It´s more like shitting because something happened that you don´t like. It´s just a place for haters to come and hate, period. Ridiculous bullshit as you see it is just hate.

A bunch of bullshit. Shit's basically a parody of Shonen, and has been for years.
It´s better than any other shonen, and stand side by side to HXH.

Top Bottom