• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleach Manga |OT| Return of the King

By, the way. Did anyone manage to read Bleach from the beginning without being spoiled by the Aizen twist?

I did, and I still think it was one of those twists that I remember so vividly. EVERYONE was freaking the fuck out online. I was a teenager and it brought back the ESB twist feeling (though not quite on the same level for obvious reason)

Okay, I can give you his move set needing massive improvement, but his personality?

The fuck?

Dude is arguably one of the most tolerable shounen MCs around who doesn't go off on ridiculous dumb as fuck sanctimonious tirades about friendship and love. That ALONE puts him above just about 80% of Shonen protagonists.

lol never compared him to shit-tier characters like Shippuden Naruto though ;)

but there are a few good main protags in Jump that are leaps better in personality then Ichigo..... granted he isn't the worst though

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You can shit on Bleach as much as you want, but the Soul Society arc was some of the best material shonen manga has ever seen (no hyperbole) because of the interesting, easy to understand power hierarchy (captains, lieutenants, and divisions), unique and interesting power-ups in shikai and bankai, a great sub-story with Aizen's "murder" that ended up eclipsing the save Rukia plot, an amazing cast of characters... it really had everything going for it. It even set up the series for further greatness by not revealing every captain's fighting ability, dropping plot hints here and there (Urahara), and, of course, Aizen's grand exit with two of the coolest captains from that arc.

The main problem with Hueco Mundo is that it felt like Soul Society 2.0. Replace Rukia with Orihime, and the Shinigami with Arrancar, and that's it. The Arrancar were also far less interesting because, for the most part, they were monster-like and blatantly evil, and didn't have the same human sensibilities that the Gotei 13 did. There was also no real sub-plot or drama like there was in Soul Society, except for maybe Nel, and that's really grasping at straws. I don't understand how Kubo dropped the ball so hard after setting up such a great premise. Even when the Shinigami enter the picture again in Fake Karakura Town, it didn't manage to reach anywhere near the same highs that SS did because it felt like the battles were artificially set up. In SS, people fought each other for various reasons, at various places, whereas in Fake Karakura Town everyone was matched up to a foe like it was a pro wrestling tournament, and fought in this huge arena. The only time the series managed to get anywhere close to it again was when the arc had just begun and showed potential with the Vizard (who ended up essentially being itsnothing.gif outside of training Ichigo) and their flashback arc, as that once again focused on the drama within Soul Society and touched upon mysteries from the beginning of the series, such as Urahara's tenure as a captain. Turn Back the Pendulum was a really nice breath of fresh air in this regard, as it was one of the few times that it felt as if Kubo was doing some intricate world building.

Seriously, though, the Gotei 13 are still some of the most badass group of shonen characters around, even if they aren't written to anywhere near their full potential.

Edit: Isshin flashback was alright, too, even if Ichigo's mom being a Quincy was kind of contrived.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Since about the end of the first arc? Not exactly the actions of a 'nice guy'.

Wasn't there something recently about the leader of the Quincy, or whatever the hell they call themselves now, is technically the Bleach version of Jesus too?

Neither did Itachi in naruto and we all saw how that turned out

idk about that.

think most here are just reading it for the funsies. Or at least I am.

One should never give more of a fuck about a game/manga/anime etc than the creators.

I've been on this train too long to get off. It's almost always a disappointing read, but it doesn't piss me off and bore me to death like my laborious trek through the second half of Naruto.

You can shit on Bleach as much as you want, but the Soul Society arc was some of the best material shonen manga has ever seen (no hyperbole) because of the interesting, easy to understand power hierarchy (captains, lieutenants, and divisions), unique and interesting power-ups in shikai and bankai, a great sub-story with Aizen's "murder" that ended up eclipsing the save Rukia plot, an amazing cast of characters... it really had everything going for it. It even set up the series for further greatness by not revealing every captain's fighting ability, dropping plot hints here and there (Urahara), and, of course, Aizen's grand exit with two of the coolest captains from that arc.

The main problem with Hueco Mundo is that it felt like Soul Society 2.0. Replace Rukia with Orihime, and the Shinigami with Arrancar, and that's it. The Arrancar were also far less interesting because, for the most part, they were monster-like and blatantly evil, and didn't have the same human sensibilities that the Gotei 13 did. There was also no real sub-plot or drama like there was in Soul Society, except for maybe Nel, and that's really grasping at straws. I don't understand how Kubo dropped the ball so hard after setting up such a great premise. Even when the Shinigami enter the picture again in Fake Karakura Town, it didn't manage to reach anywhere near the same highs that SS did because it felt like the battles were artificially set up. In SS, people fought each other for various reasons, at various places, whereas in Fake Karakura Town everyone was matched up to a foe like it was a pro wrestling tournament, and fought in this huge arena. The only time the series managed to get anywhere close to it again was when the arc had just begun and showed potential with the Vizard (who ended up essentially being itsnothing.gif outside of training Ichigo) and their flashback arc, as that once again focused on the drama within Soul Society and touched upon mysteries from the beginning of the series, such as Urahara's tenure as a captain. Turn Back the Pendulum was a really nice breath of fresh air in this regard, as it was one of the few times that it felt as if Kubo was doing some intricate world building.

Seriously, though, the Gotei 13 are still some of the most badass group of shonen characters around, even if they aren't written to anywhere near their full potential.

Edit: Isshin flashback was alright, too, even if Ichigo's mom being a Quincy was kind of contrived.

tl;dr: When Kubo tries AND he's focusing on plot, dude almost always hits it out of the park.

But that's the problem...he strikes out FAR FAR more than he even gets to first base

kmax

eMvt081.gif

The MVP is back.

Aizen. Based God.

Raxus

Whoever said I needed keys to open my locks?

*Aizen smirk*

Also, LOL at the chapter title. Return of the God. Indeed.

Praise be to our lord and saviour Aizen.

He's only spoken a few words and yet he has still been more entertaining than most of the cast lately.

LordCanti

This was just a long ass con by Aizen to figure out where the Soul King's parts were hiding, wasn't it.

Either way, he's most interesting in a panel than Yhwach (sp) has been in years of manga so... yeah. Good thing he's back I guess.

Yado

Highlights:
Lisa & Nanao on the same panel
Aizen being better than the other flop captains

I can't complain about this chapter.

Mendrox

Aizen being Aizen.

He planned all of that, didn't he? Cannot believe how stupid Bleach has gotten the last 7 yearsish (well after Soul Society Arc, loving the hell out of OP 3 from the anime still)

Ventara

Yes! Aizen has entered the scene. I'm guessing he's using some kind of illusion to make it look like he unlocked the other keys.

How are Urahara and the gang planning to help once they get to the Soul Palace? Squad Zero was wiped out. I can't imagine them doing any better. And lol, all the right hand is doing is holding up the broken statue of the Soul King. Though this does show that there are stuff Ywach can't see. So of course, there's gonna be some power deep within Ichigo that Ywach can't see either. Probably Getsuga Ultimate or something.

Chariot

Yes! Aizen has entered the scene. I'm guessing he's using some kind of illusion to make it look like he unlocked the other keys.

How are Urahara and the gang planning to help once they get to the Soul Palace? Squad Zero was wiped out. I can't imagine them doing any better. And lol, all the right hand is doing is holding up the broken statue of the Soul King. Though this does show that there are stuff Ywach can't see. So of course, there's gonna be some power deep within Ichigo that Ywach can't see either. Probably Getsuga Ultimate or something.
The next saving ppint will be heavenly tesa tape.

ohlawd

when were you under the impression you used only one key?

Lisa needs to be moe for Nanao like once before this manga ends. too stoic ;_;

This was just a long ass con by Aizen to figure out where the Soul King's parts were hiding, wasn't it.

Either way, he's most interesting in a panel than Yhwach (sp) has been in years of manga so... yeah. Good thing he's back I guess.

Aizen being Aizen.

He planned all of that, didn't he? Cannot believe how stupid Bleach has gotten the last 7 yearsish (well after Soul Society Arc, loving the hell out of OP 3 from the anime still)

If indeed that was his plan, then he really is the GOAT. Just make him soul king for that.

wait....so he made him use all the keys except the last two unconsciously or that he only needs one or more key unsealed before he can simply waltz out of there nilly willy?

don't really matter, Aizen gonna calmly fuck things up

wait....so he made him use all the keys except the last two unconsciously or that he only needs one or more key unsealed before he can simply waltz out of there nilly willy?

I think he is using hypnosis on CC, making it look like he is not sealed, but he still needs two more keys. Or since thisd might be trolling Aizen, he truly doesn't need em and is already walking free :lol

LogicStep

AIZEN IS BACK, AWWW YEAH, BEST VILLAIN HERE TO FUCK YOUR SHIT UP!

Just caught up, I was behind by like 6 chapters and I dunno but it's getting hard for me to follow all of what's going on. Feels like a lot of stuff is going down and I'm trying to understand it all.

ohlawd

here's my take

Aizen still has his hypnosis. recall the prisoner bondage scene with Central 46. he was strapped down but his mouth wasn't covered. here, he could have used his power but couldn't since he just got beat down by Ichigo

fast forward two years and he has healed up. Kyoraku fell immediately into Aizen's hypnosis when he used the first key, making him use the rest of the keys in his possession. Aizen mocks him by saying "hey man thot u had two more?"

or the better explanation; it's freaking Bleach and dah gawd, Aizen.

Top Bottom