• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleach Manga |OT| Return of the King

NeoXChaos

Isnt his zanpakuto gone though? I doubt Shunsui is in a illusion unless Aizen was pretending the whole time to be bandaged or his zanpakuto regenerated.

NeoXChaos

So is he really formidable without the hax powers that is his sword ability and hogyoko?? We never saw him in combat without using that hax ability.

JerkShep

I too want to bathe in Aizen glory, is there a good summary somewhere of this arc? The las.t full arc I read was the fullbringer one I think

Radec

So is he really formidable without the hax powers that is his sword ability and hogyoko?? We never saw him in combat without using that hax ability.

He still hasn't showed his Bankai.

But then again, some captains still hasn't either even when they are dying in combat.

I too want to bathe in Aizen glory, is there a good summary somewhere of this arc? The las.t full arc I read was the fullbringer one I think
Here's a quick recap: a bunch of new, captain-level bad guys show up and wreak havoc upon Soul Society. Turns out they're Quincy. The captains and Yamamoto kill a few of them, but their leader, Yhwach, turns out to be super freaking strong and kills Yamamoto with his own bankai. Oh yeah, they steal everyone's bankai, but those get returned shortly. Meanwhile, Ichigo, Renji, Rukia, and Byakuya get f'ed up, too--so badly that Squad Zero brings them to the Royal Palace to heal and train them, giving all of them a massive power boost. It also turns out that Zangetsu isn't really Ichigo's zanpakuto but actually a small portion of Yhwach's power, which has been holding back Ichigo (his hollow was trying to help him the whole time), so he gets rid of that. Meanwhile, Unohana turns out to be the original Kenpachi, and she kills herself to power up the current Kenpachi. A few fights happen, and then Yhwach gets bored and goes up to the Royal Palace. Squad Zero confronts him, but he wrecks them all because his power is that he can see the future, due to him being the son of the Soul King himself. Ichigo chases him, but Yhwach tricks him into killing the Soul King, causing the worlds to all fall apart. Luckily, Ukitake embodied the right arm of the Soul King, which he releases at the cost of his own life (aside: this arc has been treating shinigami as if they're all living humans, for some reason). Meanwhile, Kyoraku goes to ask Aizen for help.

And here we are.

The above paragraph covers about three years of story "progression," by the way, so you can see how badly Kubo's been just spinning Bleach's wheels after Aizen.

Astral

Here's a quick recap: a bunch of new, captain-level bad guys show up and wreak havoc upon Soul Society. Turns out they're Quincy. The captains and Yamamoto kill a few of them, but their leader, Yhwach, turns out to be super freaking strong and kills Yamamoto with his own bankai. Oh yeah, they steal everyone's bankai, but those get returned shortly. Meanwhile, Ichigo, Renji, Rukia, and Byakuya get f'ed up, too--so badly that Squad Zero brings them to the Royal Palace to heal and train them, giving all of them a massive power boost. It also turns out that Zangetsu isn't really Ichigo's zanpakuto but actually a small portion of Yhwach's power, which has been holding back Ichigo (his hollow was trying to help him the whole time), so he gets rid of that. Meanwhile, Unohana turns out to be the original Kenpachi, and she kills herself to power up the current Kenpachi. A few fights happen, and then Yhwach gets bored and goes up to the Royal Palace. Squad Zero confronts him, but he wrecks them all because his power is that he can see the future, due to him being the son of the Soul King himself. Ichigo chases him, but Yhwach tricks him into killing the Soul King, causing the worlds to all fall apart. Luckily, Ukitake embodied the right arm of the Soul King, which he releases at the cost of his own life (aside: this arc has been treating shinigami as if they're all living humans, for some reason). Meanwhile, Kyoraku goes to ask Aizen for help.

And here we are.

The above paragraph covers about three years of story "progression," by the way, so you can see how badly Kubo's been just spinning Bleach's wheels after Aizen.

Also, Grimmjow and the three Fullbringers that died are coming back as allies. Eventually.

Ventara

He still hasn't showed his Bankai.

But then again, some captains still hasn't either even when they are dying in combat.

I never understood this. Why would you rather die and let the bad guys win than use your bankai? I can't fathom a reason, except that the mangaka hasn't thought of one for them.

Oh, and does anyone think it's possible that Aizen doesn't know his bankai? I mean, the bankai he showed to become captain was a fake. And if he does, what do you guys think it is? Must be something crazy like changing reality, but that begs the question why he never used it. Well, it's all moot anyways since he doesn't have a zanpaktou anymore.

And here we are.

Wow, that's a pretty good recap. It's amazing how the whole plot with anything relevant can be condensed into one paragraph. Shows how much the manga drags on or plays around with meaningless stuff.

Does anyone think Yamamoto's zanpaktou will make another appearance, or was the only purpose to stealing it was to rob him of it and kill him with it?

Also, Grimmjow and the three Fullbringers that died are coming back as allies. Eventually.

I don't remember this. Must've skipped over it. And what's Grimmjow going to do? Aren't we 1000 levels above his power level now?

Does anyone think Yamamoto's zanpaktou will make another appearance, or was the only purpose to stealing it was to rob him of it and kill him with it?
I think it was just a plot convenience, to be honest. How do you kill off a character who's orders of magnitude stronger than everyone else in the series and not make it look (way too) stupid? Turn his own power against him.

I doubt we'll see it again, since it just ended up being a "cuts through anything" type of power with a few fancy bonus moves.

I don't remember this. Must've skipped over it. And what's Grimmjow going to do? Aren't we 1000 levels above his power level now?
Yeah, I don't remember seeing confirmation of that anywhere, either. And yeah, they'd all pretty much be useless. Possibly only Tsukishima would be able to do anything, since he also has a "cuts through anything" ability and is one of the only Fullbringers who is still alive. Everyone else would just get rocked.

Ventara

I think it was just a plot convenience, to be honest. How do you kill off a character who's orders of magnitude stronger than everyone else in the series and not make it look (way too) stupid? Turn his own power against him.

I doubt we'll see it again, since it just ended up being a "cuts through anything" type of power with a few fancy bonus moves.

You're probably right. When I first read it, I thought for sure we'd see it used to break into the Royal Palace (being able to burn and destroy all), but nope. Ywach defeats Squad Zero without it and just waltzes up to the SK.

I always liked to think that Aizen's bankai has one drawback of resetting his shikai(he would to go around making people see his sword again) and that's why he never used it.

You're probably right. When I first read it, I thought for sure we'd see it used to break into the Royal Palace (being able to burn and destroy all), but nope. Ywach defeats Squad Zero without it and just waltzes up to the SK.
How cool would it have been if he used it to burn off Ichibei's ink? Much cooler than his "I can see everything" schtick, I'll tell you that.

That fire Quincy saying he had more fire in his finger than Yamamoto's bankai was nonsense, too. Give me a break.

Lulubop

It's possible Aizen doesn't have a Bankai but he can use Shinkai without calling it's name, which implies he can ise his bankai. As for why he didn't use it, he said sk was useless now anyway after the Hogyoku absorbed his zanpakuto.

Chariot

I forgot about this little speech:

Ties in nicely to what we know about the soul king now, and Aizen's ambitions. Can't wait for the inevitable flashback that sets up his original motivations.
Something in Bleach that somehow falls into place? I am in shock right now.

Neidii

Bringing back our lord and savior Aizen le troll was a great move. That stare at the end when he casually strolls through the dark. Just according to keikaku.

Brickhunt

How cool would it have been if he used it to burn off Ichibei's ink? Much cooler than his "I can see everything" schtick, I'll tell you that.

That fire Quincy saying he had more fire in his finger than Yamamoto's bankai was nonsense, too. Give me a break.
Look, I like Yamamoto's Bankai, but it would be stupid for him to use it first, instead of his own lettered ability. By logic, Ichibei's Ink should be able to stop the Bankai from working.

A few things.
- Yamamoto wasn't killed by his own Bankai, that was Byakuya (and almost killed). Yhwach just stole Yama's Bankai and then finished him using basic Quincy powers.
- The fire Quincy, Bazz-B, never said his flames were stronger, just that they strong enough to off-set his flames, which is how he survived and saved his comrades (btw, it was Shikai, not Bankai)
- Ichigo didn't get rid of his Inner Yhwach/Quincy powers. He understands the reasons why he was held back and accepted him as his Zanpakutou too. He, Ichigo and the Hollow are now working together, which is why Ichigo now has two sword.
- You left you the flashback explaining how Ichigo was born and why he is special.

Bleach is far from being good, but I felt your summary makes it seen worse than it is. It's not that bad.

JerkShep

And here we are.

Wow thanks a lot. I might read some of the highlights but I'm definitely gonna skip most of the filler fights. That killed hueco mundo for me. Just one question: where is ichigo's party in all of this? (chad, orihime etc)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Wow thanks a lot. I might read some of the highlights but I'm definitely gonna skip most of the filler fights. That killed hueco mundo for me. Just one question: where is ichigo's party in all of this? (chad, orihime etc)

They're currently with him facing down Yhwach. And pretty much doing nothing, as usual.

Ishida has joined up with Yhwach, however.

Something in Bleach that somehow falls into place? I am in shock right now.
As I said earlier. Foreshadowing is almost always there. It's the development that falls flat.

Look above, we got people confused about the full bringers and grimmjaw.

Fullbringers were explicitly shown working with kuukaku. Grimmjaw was shown off panel hanging with Urahara and company in HM and tried to communicate with Ichigo before being cut off and subdued by Chad and Orhime.

Corgi

Banned

well he is captain class and can do no incantation Black Coffins so he is pretty strong.

Did they ever explain where these OP quincy guys were when all the other quincies got genicide by shinigamis like a decade ago?

I'm just waiting the BS Kubo will come up with to make Ichigo strong enough to defeat Yhwach. Seriously, there is no way Yhwach can lose with his currently said powers.

Brickhunt

well he is captain class and can do no incantation Black Coffins so he is pretty strong.

Did they ever explain where these OP quincy guys were when all the other quincies got genicide by shinigamis like a decade ago?

It is explained in Chapter 547
They were survivors from the war of 1000 years ago. Sereitei was left unguarded and the Quincies went there, hiding in the shadows and creating space in it using their powers.

Look, I like Yamamoto's Bankai, but it would be stupid for him to use it first, instead of his own lettered ability. By logic, Ichibei's Ink should be able to stop the Bankai from working.

A few things.
- Yamamoto wasn't killed by his own Bankai, that was Byakuya (and almost killed). Yhwach just stole Yama's Bankai and then finished him using basic Quincy powers.
- The fire Quincy, Bazz-B, never said his flames were stronger, just that they strong enough to off-set his flames, which is how he survived and saved his comrades (btw, it was Shikai, not Bankai)
- Ichigo didn't get rid of his Inner Yhwach/Quincy powers. He understands the reasons why he was held back and accepted him as his Zanpakutou too. He, Ichigo and the Hollow are now working together, which is why Ichigo now has two sword.
- You left you the flashback explaining how Ichigo was born and why he is special.

Bleach is far from being good, but I felt your summary makes it seen worse than it is. It's not that bad.
I wasn't trying to make it sound bad. I was just working from memory.

Korosenai

So doesn't Aizen want to kill and replace the Soul King?

So why do they let him out to help them protect the Soul King? I don't get it.

Astral

It's heavily implied that Grimmjow's the one who one-shot Sternritter "J" back in Hueco Mundo. He yells at Ichigo over the phone when Urahara calls him at one point and Ichigo asks if they can trust "him." They don't say it's him but it can't be anyone else, really. I'm guessing he has that Segunda Etapa thing that Ulquiorra had now. Ginjo, Tsukishima, and that old pocket watch guy were shown briefly and being trained by Ganju, who's actually with Ichigo and the others in the palace right now so who knows where the hell those three are. Maybe Kubo pulled an Araki and just forgot.

Welfare

It's heavily implied that Grimmjow's the one who one-shot Sternritter "J" back in Hueco Mundo. He yells at Ichigo over the phone when Urahara calls him at one point and Ichigo asks if they can trust "him." They don't say it's him but it can't be anyone else, really. I'm guessing he has that Segunda Etapa thing that Ulquiorra had now. Ginjo, Tsukishima, and that old pocket watch guy were shown briefly and being trained by Ganju, who's actually with Ichigo and the others in the palace right now so who knows where the hell those three are. Maybe Kubo pulled an Araki and just forgot.

Grimmjow and the other two will probably show up where the Gotei are at the last second.

cdyhybrid

I highly doubt he forgot. He clearly shows some crazy long-play preferences when it comes to foreshadowing (Shinji showing up in background/cover art in one of the first chapters, for example). If anything, he waits TOO long to bring these things back into play, but that's more of a symptom of his general pacing problems overall.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Aizen's shikai is based on hypnosis and illusions, so maybe his bankai can create alternate realities entirely? Or shift reality within a certain space, maybe. Its name means Mirror Flower, Water Moon, so it might also have to do with the "Water Moon" aspect of things.

I hope so. Grimmjow is one of my favorite characters.

Top Bottom