• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleach Manga |OT| Return of the King

Astral

Dude...all Kubo does is make us wait for an explanation. Does Yoruichi even have a zankapukto? I don't know, Kubo hasn't said so yet. Who killed Sternritter J in Hueco Mundo? Was it Grimmjow? No shit it was. How? He's weak as shit. Did he train? Is it Segunda Etapa? Where the hell is he? I don't know, Kubo hasn't explained it yet. What in the FUCK did Unohana's Bankai do? Melt people? Kubo hasn't explained it yet and probably never will. Is Ichigo even a Visored anymore? Why hasn't he used the mask? Is it gone? No one knows. Remember when Kira got a MASSIVE hole blown through his chest? Is he, like, dead? I don't know, Kubo hasn't so much as mentioned his name since then.

By your definition, this is all bad writing. Whenever Kubo does explain something, it makes no sense or it just sounds like bullshit. Mayuri's fight against that zombie kid was one of the worst fights this arc. It's just a bunch of "oh I injected you with this drug that does this and that and this other drug that does this and that." What kind of drugs Mayuri? Then there's that part where Urahara temporarily infected the Captains' Bankais with Hollows souls or something. What? Kubo makes shit up on the spot and then gives a long explanation of why the thing he just made up happened.

Finally there's the latest chapters. Are we seriously supposed to believe that Ishida actually betrayed his friends? Seriously? We all know he's not actually allied with Yhwach. Ichigo screaming his head off at Ishida just makes him look like a dumbass. Why is Yhwach even content with the way Ishida dealt with Ichigo and the others. "Oh don't worry they'll die from this fall. They're totally dead I promise." And Yhwach's stupid "I planned this all along" speech. Aizen already did that. I swear he even revealed it the same way, word for word. What was Kubo thinking?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't understand how the same man who wrote the Soul Society arc wrote anything afterward.

I thought HM was good up to the arrival of Byakuya and Kenpachi. Though it being another rescue arc was ducking stupid.

Hell this arc started out so good when the plot kept moving, chapter-to-chapter. It slowed to a crawl when Kubo did his usual 1v1 fights that lasts anywhere from 2 chapters minimum to 5 at the high end.

only good part of this arc was the Yama fight(that was some damn good art) and Aizen cameos.

Since Yama's dead, Aizen is the last hope.

Good thing Bleach chapters take less than a minute to get through, im positive that's the biggest reason many people still hate-read it.(along with it being fun to make fun of it)

Hell this arc started out so good when the plot kept moving, chapter-to-chapter. It slowed to a crawl when Kubo did his usual 1v1 fights that lasts anywhere from 2 chapters minimum to 5 at the high end.
Agreed. I don't know what scheduling pressure there is, but no one getting any real training shown besides Kenpachi (whose training was generally nonsensical) was a flub. The series has also gotten into DBZ territory with each party taking turns overwhelming each other instead of legit fights. Last good fight I can think is Byakuya versus Tsukushima (sp).

I don't understand how the same man who wrote the Soul Society arc wrote anything afterward.

It happens a lot. A guy has a great idea and it works exceptionally well. A world with a clear design, simple concepts.

But then he has to continue to story past that and he doesn't have a lot of clear ideas. He has concepts, but no real ideas.

Arrancar are a great idea, but the handling of it was woeful. I think if you remove Aizen from that situation it could be better written. But overall he's just got nothing like the magic he had with the SS arc. So he keeps trying to do it over and over and over again.

EmiPrime

I have a question; how would YOU turn this manga around, assuming you were in Kubo's position? Just want to read some interesting ways this arc might unfold.

Do a HxH and subvert as many shonen tropes and expectations as possible.

I was impressed that a character as well liked as Hitsugaya got killed off then his reanimated body tortured by Mayuri.

Oh and no more ass pulls. Only Aizen is allowed to do those.

jstripes

Banned
8RhvnBP.png

ibyea

Banned

I personally didn't like it that much, although I do admit it got good towards the end and the mystery was executed well. The first arc was what I thought when he did something good. It wasn't exceptional, but it was good, and it had this unique urban fantasy/ghost story vibe that is missing afterwards.

Laz-E-Boy

It's pretty funny reading the responses the current chapters are getting.

I dropped this series when Kubo pulled the fake death with Byakuya during the Quincy-SS invasion. I had gotten pretty bored with the series since Hueco Mundo but that sealed it for me.

Judging by what other people have been saying I'm not missing much.

Chariot

It's really not.

Ironically enough, DBZ is probably the only Shounen with power levels, while ridiculous, it's extremely straightforward with few, if any variables.
No, it appears some times. Shaman King was super straight forward with it and even One Piece had it once.

But yeah, it's not that common. But japanese do love rankings in one way and another and I often encounter ranked people by strength in manga, even when it's not making much sense.

But both powerlevels and rankings are always shown to be super unreliable.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

It's pretty clear there's no actually talking to you. Also it's not OT, you started the discussion by saying Bleach is the best written. People offered counter points. You're answering them basically by going "nuh uh".

They do explain the gears. They explicitly state how they work and why. They explain his Azura (a technique he hasn't used since) as an extension of his will. It was basically early Haki manifestation. Sanji's flaming leg was explained through him spinning, it generates the heat in his foot. It's all pretty simple stuff.
Lol. Oh you mean he has not used it since because it was convenient then. It was an asspull power up like like most of the fights in one piece. It was never mentioned where it came from, or how he thought of it. Neither was Sanji's techniques. Just ass pull power ups. But keep defending bad writing. The character are one dimensional, and Oda can´t draw or write good female characters in the manga.
Dude...all Kubo does is make us wait for an explanation. Does Yoruichi even have a zankapukto? I don't know, Kubo hasn't said so yet. Who killed Sternritter J in Hueco Mundo? Was it Grimmjow? No shit it was. How? He's weak as shit. Did he train? Is it Segunda Etapa? Where the hell is he? I don't know, Kubo hasn't explained it yet. What in the FUCK did Unohana's Bankai do? Melt people? Kubo hasn't explained it yet and probably never will. Is Ichigo even a Visored anymore? Why hasn't he used the mask? Is it gone? No one knows. Remember when Kira got a MASSIVE hole blown through his chest? Is he, like, dead? I don't know, Kubo hasn't so much as mentioned his name since then.
Of course Yoruichi has a zampakto, it was shown during the Soul Society arc after the fight between Ichigo and Kenpachi, when Ichigo was healing. The zampakto was in the room there. Chapter 116 page 18 bottom panel.

Grimmjow weak as shit? Lol. now I see what you consider bad writing, is fundamental lack of understanding the events that accured. Kirge lost because he lost control over his attack and defense which Grimmjow took advantage of. It was specifically explained during the battle. Unlike Sanji, Zoro and Luffy asspulls. Kira is dead.
By your definition, this is all bad writing. Whenever Kubo does explain something, it makes no sense or it just sounds like bullshit. Mayuri's fight against that zombie kid was one of the worst fights this arc. It's just a bunch of "oh I injected you with this drug that does this and that and this other drug that does this and that." What kind of drugs Mayuri? Then there's that part where Urahara temporarily infected the Captains' Bankais with Hollows souls or something. What? Kubo makes shit up on the spot and then gives a long explanation of why the thing he just made up happened.
It´s not what i said. What i said is that breaking someone own universe is bad writing. Not one of those you mentioned are bad writing, since these characters have a record of using technology/medicine to enhance their abilities/weaken others. Everyone can only have one devil fruit. Black Beard can have 2. Horrible writing.
Well if we are going to talk about asspulls, every fight Luffy does is an asspull, especially the one against Rob Lucci. He wins against Rob Lucci because of Usoppe scream lol. Not to mention that most straw hats are one dimensional characters with no development whatsoever. That is also bad writing. The way Oda writes women in the manga is also bad writing.
Finally there's the latest chapters. Are we seriously supposed to believe that Ishida actually betrayed his friends? Seriously? We all know he's not actually allied with Yhwach. Ichigo screaming his head off at Ishida just makes him look like a dumbass. Why is Yhwach even content with the way Ishida dealt with Ichigo and the others. "Oh don't worry they'll die from this fall. They're totally dead I promise." And Yhwach's stupid "I planned this all along" speech. Aizen already did that. I swear he even revealed it the same way, word for word. What was Kubo thinking?
Dear god lol. Ishida just saved their lives by making them fall instead of allowing the elite guard to kill them. He even shot Ichigo an arrow when the X-axis was going to shoot Ichigo. Seriously if you can´t see this very simple that everyone saw, then i don´t know what to tell you.
Juha Bach´s speech is not the same as Aizen. Juha Bach said that Ichigo did it by his own will because of Destiny of his blood heritage, while Aizen forced these thing to happen through manipulation, and since he knows about Misaki and Isshin before Ichigo´s birth.

Besides you do know that one piece was only planned for 5 years, so Oda makes a lot as he goes. Same the supernova 11. Oda made them as competition to Luffy on a whim.
It happens a lot. A guy has a great idea and it works exceptionally well. A world with a clear design, simple concepts.

But then he has to continue to story past that and he doesn't have a lot of clear ideas. He has concepts, but no real ideas.

Arrancar are a great idea, but the handling of it was woeful. I think if you remove Aizen from that situation it could be better written. But overall he's just got nothing like the magic he had with the SS arc. So he keeps trying to do it over and over and over again.
This arc was planned right after Soul Society arc. As in planning not making yet. Besides the arrancar arc should not have been this long. Kubo´s editors told him to prolong the arc because the espada were very popular and Bleach was selling really well at the time. This arc is better than SS arc as far as i am concerned. Plenty of revelations has happened. I finally know about Isshin, which i wanted to know since he first showed up in his shinigami outfit. I also can´t wait to know more about the quincies.
Since Bleach is not a book, your post makes no sense.

VeeP

Doesn't Ichigos Bankai let him fly or float or something? Why does it matter if the ground is broken. Can't he just fly out.

Astral

Lol. Oh you mean he has not used it since because it was convenient then. It was an asspull power up like like most of the fights in one piece. It was never mentioned where it came from, or how he thought of it. Neither was Sanji's techniques. Just ass pull power ups. But keep defending bad writing. The character are one dimensional, and Oda can´t draw or write good female characters in the manga.

Of course Yoruichi has a zampakto, it was shown during the Soul Society arc after the fight between Ichigo and Kenpachi, when Ichigo was healing. The zampakto was in the room there. Chapter 116 page 18 bottom panel.

Grimmjow weak as shit? Lol. now I see what you consider bad writing, is fundamental lack of understanding the events that accured. Kirge lost because he lost control over his attack and defense which Grimmjow took advantage of. It was specifically explained during the battle. Unlike Sanji, Zoro and Luffy asspulls. Kira is dead.

It´s not what i said. What i said is that breaking someone own universe is bad writing. Not one of those you mentioned are bad writing, since these characters have a record of using technology/medicine to enhance their abilities/weaken others. Everyone can only have one devil fruit. Black Beard can have 2. Horrible writing.
Well if we are going to talk about asspulls, every fight Luffy does is an asspull, especially the one against Rob Lucci. He wins against Rob Lucci because of Usoppe scream lol. Not to mention that most straw hats are one dimensional characters with no development whatsoever. That is also bad writing. The way Oda writes women in the manga is also bad writing.

Dear god lol. Ishida just saved their lives by making them fall instead of allowing the elite guard to kill them. He even shot Ichigo an arrow when the X-axis was going to shoot Ichigo. Seriously if you can´t see this very simple that everyone saw, then i don´t know what to tell you.
Juha Bach´s speech is not the same as Aizen. Juha Bach said that Ichigo did it by his own will because of Destiny of his blood heritage, while Aizen forced these thing to happen through manipulation, and since he knows about Misaki and Isshin before Ichigo´s birth.

Besides you do know that one piece was only planned for 5 years, so Oda makes a lot as he goes. Same the supernova 11. Oda made them as competition to Luffy on a whim.

This arc was planned right after Soul Society arc. As in planning not making yet. Besides the arrancar arc should not have been this long. Kubo´s editors told him to prolong the arc because the espada were very popular and Bleach was selling really well at the time. This arc is better than SS arc as far as i am concerned. Plenty of revelations has happened. I finally know about Isshin, which i wanted to know since he first showed up in his shinigami outfit. I also can´t wait to know more about the quincies.

Since Bleach is not a book, your post makes no sense.

I know Yoruichi has a Zanpakuto. My point is she NEVER uses it because of reasons. You would think she'd wise up by now. She faced Aizen, a big fucking threat and instead of using her Zanpakuto, she uses fist...things. And now instead of using it against Yhwach, she uses useless wires. This is Yhwach. Stop eating shit and go Bankai already. Same goes for Urahara against Aizen. We know he has Bankai yet he didn't use it. You're lying to yourself if you think these characters aren't using Bankai for any reason other than Kubo not having thought of it yet. Every fucking Captain should be using Bankai right now but most aren't. Why? That's bad writing. I still don't get how you think Blackbeard having 2 fruits is bad writing. It's just a plot point. It's one of the reasons he's such a huge threat and why he shook things up (no pun intended). Why do you keep bringing up One Piece anyway? And of fucking course I know Ishida saved their lives. That's my point. It's so obvious that he hasn't betrayed his friends that it's fucking painful. I'm sure Yhwach can tell since he's all-seeing and shit (and if he can't then the's a fucking idiot) but the other Sternritter are complete morons for actually buying it. It feels like Kubo actually wants us to believe he's betrayed them and now we have to suffer through this tedious character arc. The only thing that will make this less stupid is if Ichigo reveals next chapter that he was just faking his confusion and that he and Ishida had this planned all along.

Hystzen

Substitute arc> SS arc> fullbringer> HM arc

Fullbringer brought back comedy and old style Ichigo and friends. I liked the fullbringer powers and the group even Ginjo was a fascinating villain. It only went off the rails when Kubo shoved in the SS captains because people bitched they where not around. Still I admit that Byakuya vs Tsukshima fight was pretty fucking awesome and Ikkau lucky lucky fight

Nocebo

Everyone can only have one devil fruit. Black Beard can have 2. Horrible writing.
This is one dumb objection. Since there is very little known about the devil fruits in the first place. For instance apparently inanimate objects can "eat" the devil fruit as well. So there is still lots of mystery surrounding them. Besides it has been alluded to there being something special about Black Beard's body. Until we hear the actual explanation you can't really say anything about it.

Now I'm not saying One Piece has stellar writing. We're talking about comic books aimed at little boys of course. But when it comes to internal consistency and logic Bleach's world makes so little sense.

Syntsui

Talking about how Kubo completely destroyed the vaizards, I just can't comprehend how useless Hirako turned out to be. He has one of the most broken power in the entire series, yet he never accomplished shit.

Percy

Banned
So Ichigo gets new Zanpakuto(s?), proceeds to demonstrate he is still all but useless against the main villain, who literally is about to wipe out all existence right in front of him... and still he isn't using his new Bankai? The stakes literally couldn't be higher for Ichigo, yet still he dicks around?

What are the bets Kubo has basically forgotten that tease about the dead X-cution members living in SS with the Shiba clan as well?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
PV, your critiques of One Piece, especially this Blackberd axe you're grinding, are as stupid as you feel these Bleach critiques are. I don't understand why you can't fight your Bleach holy war without trying to trash another manga. Leave One Piece out of it, it's clear that you have no idea what you're talking about there, same as how you think no one knows what they're talking about re: Bleach.

NexusCell

lol. This thread basically consists of one guy that still thinks that Bleach is good and everyone else that thinks its trash and reads it due to sunk cost fallacy.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
To be clear, I've always enjoyed reading Bleach, I definitely don't consider myself part of the hate-fuck contingent that makes up the majority of this thread. I'm just not delusional, either. The series has gotten really slow, drawn-out, and repetitive now.

It always bugs me that PV through his fervor ends up seeming like the only remaining fan, when there are still others who enjoy it but just don't think it's the genuine infallible paragon of shounen.

ohlawd

yeah uhh I like reading Bleach but it hasn't been good for a long time

It always bugs me that PV through his fervor ends up seeming like the only remaining fan, when there are still others who enjoy it but just don't think it's the genuine infallible paragon of shounen.

except PV acts like this for everything. read his posts in movie and especially gaming threads. dude is entirely convinced his words are from the BIble.

To be clear, I've always enjoyed reading Bleach, I definitely don't consider myself part of the hate-fuck contingent that makes up the majority of this thread. I'm just not delusional, either. The series has gotten really slow, drawn-out, and repetitive now.

I'm sure when the run is over and I can marathon the entire arc I'll enjoy it a lot more than I was when I stopped reading. It's just my problem is the pacing and direction seemed to have sucked all the life out of the series. You don't have to be soooooooooo heavy all the time.

There is a logic to not using bankai: it's so clear that he who uses bankai first loses that even the characters recognize it now.

Also, long game and ass pulls don't have to be mutually exclusive. Kubo has demonstrated time and time again that he's proficient with both techniques.

The funny thing is I don't even want to hate Bleach, it is the very first Manga I ever read and was my favourite at one point, but I am convinced one has to be delusional not to see the severe decrease in quality since the Soul Society arc sure there are times when it gets back semi-decent (Turn back the Pendulum) but it has been pretty damn embarrassing for the most part outside of that and I pretty much only continue with it for the same reason why I continued with Naruto after it too turned to shit (though never as awful as Bleach imo) and that's because I feel I am in too deep to quit.

I think Naruto went way worst than current Bleach, but that's just my opinion. The best thing about Bleach is that Kubo at least let other characters to have a good amount of scene time. I don't know if I would continue reading it if he starts to focus solely on Ichigo.

I think Naruto went way worst than current Bleach, but that's just my opinion. The best thing about Bleach is that Kubo at least let other characters to have a good amount of scene time. I don't know if I would continue reading it if he starts to focus solely on Ichigo.

I think the HM arc is one of the main reason I have so much resentment towards Bleach, never in my time reading Mangas or watching Animes have I ever encountered an arc so long and drawn out and just overall boring, its also the reason why I hate Aizen too as I associate him mostly with that arc rather than his awesome entrance in Soul Society

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I think the HM arc is one of the main reason I have so much resentment towards Bleach, never in my time reading Mangas or watching Animes have I ever encountered an arc so long and drawn out and just overall boring, its also the reason why I hate Aizen too as I associate him mostly with that arc rather than his awesome entrance in Soul Society

Manga-kas really just need to stop introducing so many damn characters. Ten espadas, christ, guess we gotta slog through ten fights now. 26 goddamned Quincy, same deal. Bleach is hardly the only culprit here, One Piece has been suffering from it lately too with the Doflamingo family. At least Kubo had the common decency to just skip half the Quincy fights during this round of 400 fights, cutting a lot of them off halfway. And yet he slogs through the fights with the zombie chick and her friends for some reason like they're particularly compelling among the bunch. Pretty sure he just wants to draw more women.

Takuan

Everything since Aizen tha God's arc has been his hypno-abilities at work. He's mind-fucking everyone into thinking that all worlds collapses without his presence on the throne, where he belongs.

Also, Jin lives.

I try to like it. But, each chapter I feel is getting worse and worse. I didn't even know sunk cost fallacy was a thing. That what that is? I mean I have like maybe 4 or 5 volumes and a few actual jumps(my last one was with the Ichibei fight). I don't know, I have always liked the art.

My reason for even bothering.. I don't know.

"Enjoy" is strong for me. But I don't hate it either. It's just mediocre to me with nice art and I like to see how he resolves some of the arcs.

cdyhybrid

So Ichigo gets new Zanpakuto(s?), proceeds to demonstrate he is still all but useless against the main villain, who literally is about to wipe out all existence right in front of him... and still he isn't using his new Bankai? The stakes literally couldn't be higher for Ichigo, yet still he dicks around?

What are the bets Kubo has basically forgotten that tease about the dead X-cution members living in SS with the Shiba clan as well?

Nah, he hasn't forgotten about it. He just takes forever to give you the payoff of foreshadowing, because of his abysmal pacing. He's brought back tons of hinted storylines, they just take so long that everyone assumes he's forgotten about it.

This is generally how I feel and is the reason why I don't bother posting at all in the thread. With all the mass hate and the Zealot like devotion beam has, its rather toxic to say the least.

It's a shame too because there was quite a few subjects I wanted to have a discussion about and share theories. Nearly everyone tries to get in their little stab at Kubo each week and beam follows up with his defense that no one discusses the chapter itself and how it connects the plots or opened new questions.

Welfare

This is generally how I feel and is the reason why I don't bother posting at all in the thread. With all the mass hate and the Zealot like devotion beam has, its rather toxic to say the least.

It's a shame too because there was quite a few subjects I wanted to have a discussion about and share theories. Nearly everyone tries to get in their little stab at Kubo each week and beam follows up with his defense that no one discusses the chapter itself and how it connects the plots or opened new questions.

If you have something to talk about I'm all eyes. Would liven up the place a bit.

You could always just bring them up. I'm pretty sure most people are hungry for discussion and just fall back to the jabs when there's no discussion to be had.

We are just teasing Kubo and the manga for fun. We would love to discuss things. Talking about Bleach is fun whatever it is.

Top Bottom