• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleach Manga |OT| Return of the King

Isshin is going to separate Aizen from his chair with a sneeze.

The true king releases the usurper from the makeshift throne!

All hail! ^(._.)^

Eusis

Ryuuken was a pure blood Quincy however so he was always going to survive Aschwalen. Still, if he's being trotted in this late he's hopefully got some potent abilities and isn't there just to be sidelined like some characters.

Syntsui

I applaud you guys for remembering what Aschwalen was and talking about it. Lore-wise I can't remember shit about this series, it's just too bad for my brain.

I applaud you guys for remembering what Aschwalen was and talking about it. Lore-wise I can't remember shit about this series, it's just too bad for my brain.
Me too. I dont even know what Yhwach is talking about in this chapter, that he created Ichigo, that he is his son. lol

Good chapter by the way.

Yado

lmao I can't even remember why the villain is referring to himself as Ichigo's father? I'm sure I've read it but...yeah. I just roll with it on a week by week basis.

Astral

lmao I can't even remember why the villain is referring to himself as Ichigo's father? I'm sure I've read it but...yeah. I just roll with it on a week by week basis.

Quincy's powers all originate from Yhwach or something and Ichigo's mom was a Quincy, making Ichigo a Quincy since he came out of her vagina and since all Quincy's powers come from Yhwach that makes him their daddy. Or something. I probably have something wrong. Yhwach is an idiot.

Yado

Quincy's powers all originate from Yhwach or something and Ichigo's mom was a Quincy, making Ichigo a Quincy since he came out of her vagina and since all Quincy's powers come from Yhwach that makes him their daddy. Or something. I probably have something wrong. Yhwach is an idiot.

What did he mean when he implied that everything that happened to Ichigo thus far was because he was pulling the strings? Or does that tie into the whole father of all Quincies thing?

I expected these two to show up but still cool to see. I still don't buy Isshin as some sort of powerhouse; if he was anything other than a mid level captain he would have been mentioned many times without relation to Ichigo (like Yama, Unohana, Zaraki, etc). I do expect Ryuuken to wreck shit though. He has done things that shouldn't be possible (gave his son his quincy powers back), he's "the last quincy" and he survived Aschwalen, and he's undoubtedly got way more secret tech passed down from his pops than even Ishida Uryu does. I'm expecting some quality Chrono Trigger level dual techs.

As for Aizen, he's obviously the nuke/absolute last resort for the Shinigami. We all know he's gonna be freed eventually, but they may want to minimize the risk of him getting injured before facing Yhwach if they want to install him as the next soul king.
Isshin is crazy strong. He beat Aizen (granted, regular Aizen, but this is still the Aizen who cut down several captains and visoreds in a single panel) with a flick of his finger. He also says that his Engetsu works similarly to Ichigo's Zangetsu and heavily implies that he achieved Final Getsuga--the thing Ichigo uses to beat Hogyoku Aizen--in the past. That is ridiculous strong. Plus, narrative wise, we have still haven't even seen his shikai, which he didn't need against Aizen, so that implies again that he is insanely powerful. He's just not much by rank, but we've already seen that rank means nothing, when people like Aizen, Soi-fon, and Dogface all held the same rank at the same time.

Eusis

What did he mean when he implied that everything that happened to Ichigo thus far was because he was pulling the strings? Or does that tie into the whole father of all Quincies thing?
He could see the future and I guess carefully arranged everything so that it'd all follow an inevitable trajectory, assuming butterfly effect is included here. And probably when he timed his revivals at that.

Basically Kwisatz Haderach type stuff, I assume, but filtered through dumb shonen manga rather than being more interesting with the concept.

qcf x2

The latter, yes. The quincies exist to be ritually devoured by Yhwach, and the stronger the better. Some survive the process, that part I don't quite understand other than nature finding a way to balance things.

Isshin is crazy strong. He beat Aizen (granted, regular Aizen, but this is still the Aizen who cut down several captains and visoreds in a single panel) with a flick of his finger. He also says that his Engetsu works similarly to Ichigo's Zangetsu and heavily implies that he achieved Final Getsuga--the thing Ichigo uses to beat Hogyoku Aizen--in the past. That is ridiculous strong. Plus, narrative wise, we have still haven't even seen his shikai, which he didn't need against Aizen, so that implies again that he is insanely powerful. He's just not much by rank, but we've already seen that rank means nothing, when people like Aizen, Soi-fon, and Dogface all held the same rank at the same time.

Yeah, I don't buy that. Power level discussion in Bleach is mental gymnastics to begin with, but the way I read the Isshin/Aizen skirmish was Aizen was simply biding time for the hogyoku to take effect, and in fact he needed to basically take damage for it to evolve him (since he was the most advanced shinigami). Ichigo is only super duper stupid strong because he's the protagonist and had a hogyoku and had hollow/quincy powers as well. Isshin should have nothing but shinigami abilities, and those abilities should not be on the level of a Kenpachi or Yama (or even Royal Guard).

I maintain the only person to "beat" Aizen was Gin. He legit killed him after over 1,000 years of analysis and planning, but we saw how that worked out.

Yeah, I don't buy that. Power level discussion in Bleach is mental gymnastics to begin with, but the way I read the Isshin/Aizen skirmish was Aizen was simply biding time for the hogyoku to take effect, and in fact he needed to basically take damage for it to evolve him (since he was the most advanced shinigami). Ichigo is only super duper stupid strong because he's the protagonist and had a hogyoku and had hollow/quincy powers as well. Isshin should have nothing but shinigami abilities, and those abilities should not be on the level of a Kenpachi or Yama (or even Royal Guard).

I maintain the only person to "beat" Aizen was Gin. He legit killed him after over 1,000 years of analysis and planning, but we saw how that worked out.
Even if it were the case that Aizen wanted to take some damage and chose not to block or dodge, Isshin's finger snap was still strong enough to cause that damage to him, when other shinigamis' bankai couldn't even touch him. No doubt Ichigo is going to end up being stronger than his dad, but maybe part of his birthing process to get that strong in the first place is that he has to be the progeny of (one of) the strongest shinigami ever.

Radec

Only 1 horn, when the both of them are out Ichigo not in control..

StgVVmw.jpg

So, Yhwach didn't predict that power? He seemed surprised when he said: "so, this is your end game?"

I don't get his powers either. Looks like Sasuke's Amaterasu. But if he has Gremmy's power he could just use imagination to kill Ichigo off. Plot armor working as intended.

Mr Git

So, Yhwach didn't predict that power? He seemed surprised when he said: "so, this is your end game?"

I don't get his powers either. Looks like Sasuke's Amaterasu. But if he has Gremmy's power he could just use imagination to kill Ichigo off. Plot armor working as intended.

Yhwach is basically Pride from FMA.

Nice to see some actual continuity with HolloIchi, will be interesting to see what that's like. Weird that he has to "wake him" like Ikkaku's bankai.

SoulUnison

Banned
I feel like there was a lot of weight and significance to the Ichigo and Orihime interactions this chapter, but fuck if I can figure out what they are.

I honestly can't figure out why she's even allowed to be present. At the very least she should be sitting in the corner with her shield up at all times. I don't understand how she's following the fight or keeping up with supporting Ichigo when she's still got, as far as I can remember, normal human reflexes and abilities.

At the very least she should rub two brain cells and get creative with her abilities. Why not reject Yhwach? Can she wrap a rejection barrier completely around something, at this point? Perhaps Ichigo wrapped in a ("reversed?") rejection barrier would be immune to the future-sight abilities of Almighty.

I feel like there was a lot of weight and significance to the Ichigo and Orihime interactions this chapter, but fuck if I can figure out what they are.

I honestly can't figure out why she's even allowed to be present. At the very least she should be sitting in the corner with her shield up at all times. I don't understand how she's following the fight or keeping up with supporting Ichigo when she's still got, as far as I can remember, normal human reflexes and abilities.

At the very least she should rub two brain cells and get creative with her abilities. Why not reject Yhwach? Can she wrap a rejection barrier completely around something, at this point? Perhaps Ichigo wrapped in a ("reversed?") rejection barrier would be immune to the future-sight abilities of Almighty.

Kubo's almost completely ignored relative speed since Ichigo's first fight with Grimmjow. I mean he almost had too since at this stage either Ichigo should be so god damn fast that no one but Ywach can even see him or the Sternritter should all be so ridiculously fast that maybe 5 of the Shinigami who didn't go into the royal realm should be able to see them.

SoulUnison

Banned
Kubo's almost completely ignored relative speed since Ichigo's first fight with Grimmjow. I mean he almost had too since at this stage either Ichigo should be so god damn fast that no one but Ywach can even see him or the Sternritter should all be so ridiculously fast that maybe 5 of the Shinigami who didn't go into the royal realm should be able to see them.

I still feel like Orihime has to be really important for something about Yhwach's plans, though, or why not just turn her into pudding the second she came through the door? There's really no reason for he to still be alive unless she's key to something Yhwach wants to do, or he already "looked at" a future where she dies and it's untenable for some reason. Perhaps Orihime dying would cause Ichigo to do something stupid/rash or just lose hope entirely. Maybe Yhwach isn't a villian so much as he's threading the needle of fate through a bunch of extremely specific circumstances that only he can see and manage.

I'm betting at this point that Yhwach has set this fight up so that Ichigo will become the new Soul King and Yhwach has seen that he'd be the most fitting and benevolent soul for the job.
Maybe Orihime is necessary to "reject" Ichigo's "humanity," or something. All that blustering about how her powers "intrude on the realm of Gods" and we've still only seen her make shields and heal/repair things.
I think creating a new "the God" would finally actually live up to what she's supposed to be capable of.

Eusis

He admittedly does seem to want to have Ichigo push himself to his limits so a medic there to patch him up as necessary can work towards that end.

Astral

Kubo is so good at drawing these expressions on Ichigo's face. Like the time when he was fighting Gin and Gin commented on how he won't be able to fight Aizen as weak as he was with no resolve on his face whatsoever. He looked so powerless. Then when he comes back from the Hyperbolic Time Chamber and has that "power" in his eyes it really fucking shows. Then there's this chapter. I don't know what the fuck that was but it looked meaningful as fuck.I'm glad to see his Hollow return. I was beginning to think Kubo forgot about him. I miss the mask though.

Khezu

Gran Ray is the blue cero that Grimmy uses right?

I like that he finally uses cero in some form, but man does he continue to look dumb as hell.

Eusis

Wow...bleach is so awesome *yawn*

Also why couldnt ywach predict this shit? such OP powers are always...nevermind.
He decided he hated spoilers afterall and stopped skimming ahead.

Guess it's one of the only ways to handle absolute foresight without going "lol nope" to it instead.

As expected. Once Ichigo shows up, everything gets super boring. Get on with it.

I think the same. I never understand people who want the plot to move on to Ichigo fighting the final boss. I was fine with the lesser sternritter fighting and the captains showing new powers

Ywach's probably got 3 more forms to go through yet :p.

And then Hashbrown and/or Gerard will die / get absorbed and Ywach will move onto his 5th form.
Yeah. I'm thinking that the reason the other Quincy gods are still around after being defeated is so Yhwach or Haschwalth can absorb their power to get even stronger later.

Top Bottom