• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleach Manga |OT| Return of the King

Kubo needs to realize that making the villain too broken doesn't make it interesting, it just makes the entire thing bullshit when the heroes pull a solution out of their ass

Yeah that's my take.

I like broken powers when they have a fundamental flaw to them (That's not: "OH MY POWER HAPPENS TO BE YOUR FLAW"; one of Kubo's favourite "twists")

I think the best example of that within Bleach is the guy with the "Lucky" knuckles.

Super broken power with a simple weakness: using it too much makes it function less and less well.

TTOOLL

I don't know why I still read Bleach, really. I was really expecting Ichigo to do something this chapter but all I got was more asspull.

Tamanon

Banned
Buckbeard's power makes no sense to me.

He changes the future and by changing the future he changes the present?

The logistics are completely lost on me.

He changes the future. In order to do so, events have to change in the present. Thus, the bankai is suddenly broken for no reason and Orihime can't block the shot somehow.

The immediately broken bankai was goddamn hilarious.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
An actual honest to god copy and paste of a two page spread.

Fuck off from the manga industry and never return after this shitshow is done, Kubo. Retire and watch guro all day.

An actual honest to god copy and paste of a two page spread.

Fuck off from the manga industry and never return after this shitshow is done, Kubo. Retire and watch guro all day.

I don't mind the copy paste. It actually conveys the idea of complete ineffectiveness accurately. It seems lazy but Kubo works every week without hiatuses and just takes like a couple breaks a year so I am ok with it when appropriate, and this was IMO. Of course he is not Oda who consistently publishes every week, with rich complex artwork AND decent writing (which Kubo is failing severely at right now)

Huh, this chapter does show that Orihime's stuff isn't immune to Yhwach's stuff either. I was thinking it might be. So now, I'm guessing that we'll need Aizen's bankai for some super shenanigans so that Ichigo can win.

If Ichigo is all of these things mixed, does that mean he might have a Volstandig or Resurrecion? His resurrecion is definitely there in that horn, but he hasn't done anything Fullbringer or Quincy related yet, and it doesn't factor into his design.

That's pretty damn harsh. Kubo is an amazing artist, and he once was capable of making the story compelling.

What he needs after Bleach is to team up with someone who makes a good story. Let Kubo deal with the visual aspect of it

MartyStu

Buckbeard's power makes no sense to me.

He changes the future and by changing the future he changes the present?

The logistics are completely lost on me.

He can pick possible futures he can see at will. In order to do that, the present has to catch up.

My thoughts:

Essentially he sets future mandates that present events MUST then work toward. The less time between setting the mandate and the point in time it must be fulfilled, the more awkward and sudden it is to the present.

In the hands of a better writer, messing with causality in such a manner would and should have drastic consequences for the manipulator.

Really cool--though not entirely unique--approach to a reality manipulator.

Got into a debate with a friend yesterday when we discussed what Ichigo could even do at this point.

He argued that there is something beyond Bankai that Ichigo has achieved and will asspull for this fight. His support was Zaraki's shikai, because when he released Nozarashi in front of Hits-coolguy-a and Byakuya, Byakuya's comment on how what they thought was Zaraki's shikai was not his actual released sword made my friend wonder. Somehow, it led my friend to believe that Kubo was hinting that our whole concept of zanpakuto states is wrong.

Thanks for listening to my story about my cray friend :p

Okay, here's what I think will do it: Aizen's bankai will inject his illusions into every possible future, so Yhwach gets mixed up no matter what, while Ichigo cuts him down. And because Yhwach already saw everything, he already saw Aizen's bankai, so he's affected.

Alternate stupid ending: Ichigo holds out until nightfall and kills Yhwach when his powers transfer to Haschwalth.

Eusis

Got into a debate with a friend yesterday when we discussed what Ichigo could even do at this point.

He argued that there is something beyond Bankai that Ichigo has achieved and will asspull for this fight. His support was Zaraki's shikai, because when he released Nozarashi in front of Hits-coolguy-a and Byakuya, Byakuya's comment on how what they thought was Zaraki's shikai was not his actual released sword made my friend wonder. Somehow, it led my friend to believe that Kubo was hinting that our whole concept of zanpakuto states is wrong.

Thanks for listening to my story about my cray friend :p
He kinda did just that against Aizen actually. So there's definitely precedent, question is if that'll be effective this time.

He kinda did just that against Aizen actually. So there's definitely precedent, question is if that'll be effective this time.

Hmmm that's an interesting point. I wonder if there is a hidden level of power when a Shinigami releases their zanpakuto. Ichigo had Mugestsu, and Komamura had his human form.

If Ichigo releases his zanpakuto, Zangetsu is going to get some serious abandonment issues lol

Guess Who

Banned
The last thing I remember in Bleach is Aizen being wheeled out in his chair to help stop Soul Society from exploding or some shit. I think this might have been literal years ago now. Judging by the posts here it sounds safe to assume that almost nothing of consequence has happened since then?

Chariot

The last thing I remember in Bleach is Aizen being wheeled out in his chair to help stop Soul Society from exploding or some shit. I think this might have been literal years ago now. Judging by the posts here it sounds safe to assume that almost nothing of consequence has happened since then?
People died. Then they didn't. Some people fought some other people and won after fourth and back of asspulls. Currently some people are fighting some other people in a fourth and back of asspulls. We don't know the outcome of that yet, but we can make educated guesses.

Qurupeke

People died. Then they didn't. Some people fought some other people and won after fourth and back of asspulls. Currently some people are fighting some other people in a fourth and back of asspulls. We don't know the outcome of that yet, but we can make educated guesses.

This sums up the entire arc actually.

Hystzen

Geez I love Uryu give the guy a break that fight should been over (even if usual counter ability) nope got put him back down and look stupid. Old Uryu would not just turn his back straight away he would end fight then go.

Ichigo being chumped is hilarious after all that training that's why need Renji and Rukia to be decoys while Uryu finishes his fight and comes to reverse Bach.

Linkark07

Banned
Guess Ichigo needs more time in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber before he can defeat Yhwach. But then Yhwach will pull more plotkais than Aizen can even imagine.

Astral

So Yhwach is taking away Ichigo's Quincy powers. The ones he used once by accident and never again. Seems like a waste.

Man, Ishida has a bullshit power. And Haschwalth even mentions that he is the only one who can reverse Yhwach's power. lol Seriously, do you really gonna provide that valuable information to your enemy? Fuck that Kubo.

Asspull vs. aspull indeed

Am I crazy but it seems like they both have the same power

In the context given it's pretty much the same: "Your damage ends up effecting yourself" . It seems more different assuming the descriptions are true: Ishida can effect only two things but he can reverse anything that's already happened.

Haschwalth has no limit on the number of targets but he's limited to his sphere of influence and redistributing fortune (+the obligatory Hax thing where he redirects his own misfortune onto a *shield* and can redirect it again from there).

So H could pull his thing on an entire army (while Ishida can't) but Ishida could reverse things that don't necessarily leave one party worse off than another.

Am I crazy but it seems like they both have the same power

Haschwald's power doesn't reverse damage done to himself, it puts it in the shield. I guess if you break the shield, then his power would only hurt his opponent and not heal himself. Uryu's power is a slight advantage there since his power would actually heal him regardless.

Voror

Yhwach will probably end up absorbing some of Ichigo's Hollow powers poisoning himself in the process.

I'd actually thought this might be the solution. Like give him the Shinigami and Hollow powers too along with the quincy abilities which could maybe screw him up. Maybe like that scene from the first Hulk movie where he just keeps giving him too much to the point he overloads.

Haschwald's power doesn't reverse damage done to himself, it puts it in the shield. I guess if you break the shield, then his power would only hurt his opponent and not heal himself. Uryu's power is a slight advantage there since his power would actually heal him regardless.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, actually. Uryu will let Haschwalth kill him and then "A" that power back onto the shield to break it. Then ol' Hashy is fucked, since he won't be able to deal anymore damage without hurting himself.

A is better than B.

He was probably lying about that power being able to stop Yhwach, though (or he's simply guessing), but I guess you could reverse the outcome of every future wherein Yhwach has won to have him lose in all of them.

Slayven

In the context given it's pretty much the same: "Your damage ends up effecting yourself" . It seems more different assuming the descriptions are true: Ishida can effect only two things but he can reverse anything that's already happened.

Haschwalth has no limit on the number of targets but he's limited to his sphere of influence and redistributing fortune (+the obligatory Hax thing where he redirects his own misfortune onto a *shield* and can redirect it again from there).

So H could pull his thing on an entire army (while Ishida can't) but Ishida could reverse things that don't necessarily leave one party worse off than another.

could be explained better

Soriku

Ishida's power seems useful up to the literal brink of death. He could bring himself back and reverse the damage, assuming he's still conscious (this is a manga so it's unlikely he gets finished off while unconscious) then try to take down his opponent ASAP before they pull some kind of reversal move like Haschwalth.

That said, if he literally died right away from an attack (got his head lobbed off or something), his power can't help him. He's already dead and it's too late. But again, this is a manga and major characters never die instantaneously.

Also I'm unsure in what way Aizen will help...or what will happen to him once this crisis is taken care of.

Ishida's power seems useful up to the literal brink of death. He could bring himself back and reverse the damage, assuming he's still conscious (this is a manga so it's unlikely he gets finished off while unconscious) then try to take down his opponent ASAP before they pull some kind of reversal move like Haschwalth.

That said, if he literally died right away from an attack (got his head lobbed off or something), his power can't help him. He's already dead and it's too late. But again, this is a manga and major characters never die instantaneously.

Also I'm unsure in what way Aizen will help...or what will happen to him once this crisis is taken care of.
Do we know for sure there's that limit? What if they're isn't? Yhwach and Aizen aren't limited, so it's possible Uryu isn't either.

Also, even if you get decapitated, it takes a little bit of time before you die, and don't forget that Ichibei got completely blown up and came back, no problem.
Meanwhile, Gin got his arm ripped off and died. Hmm.

Top Bottom